/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What do these two words mean?

'Abdul Rahmaan
09-02-2009, 11:22 AM
ردء

رداء

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ژاله
09-02-2009, 04:12 PM
the latter means chaadar in urdu. i am not sure about the former.

'Abdul Rahmaan
09-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Thanks sis.

I'll wailt for someone else to tell me about the former.

Also, how to pronounce it? Ridaa-e?

Nora.
09-03-2009, 02:05 AM
ردء is too formal in Arabic

Even though Arabic is my first language ,I looked for it in the Arabic dictionary :P
it has many meanings .. it depends on how you use it in the sentence

if it pronounces as (red'u) it means Aid or help(I'm so bad in translation)

الرِّدْءُ (القاموس المحيط)
الرِّدْءُ، بالكسر: العَوْنُ، والمادَّةُ، والعِدْلُ الثَّقِيلُ.
ورَدَأَه به، كَمَنَعَهُ: جَعَلَهُ له رِدْءاً وقُوَّةً وعِماداً،
و~ الحائِطَ: دَعَمَهُ،
كَأَرْدَأَهُ،
و~ بِحَجَرٍ: رَماهُ به،
و~ الإِبِلَ: أحْسَنَ القِيامَ عليها.
وأرْدَأَهُ: أعانَهُ،
و~ على مِئَةٍ: زادَ،
و~ السَّتْرَ: أرْخَاهُ، وسَكَّنَهُ، وأفْسَدَهُ، وأقَرَّهُ، وفَعَلَ رَدِيئاً، أو أصابَهُ.
ورَدُؤَ، كَكَرُمَ، رَداءَةً: فَسَدَ، فهو رَدِيءٌ من أرْدِئَاءَ، بهَمْزَتَيْنِ.
رداء

means what the person is dressing .. it's called (reeda'a)
It's also formal ..while you reading arabic books ,you'll find the word thee'ab (ثياب) instead of reeda'a (رداء)
It's used more than reeda'a in Arabic writing

it's pretty much similar to the word clothes

don't forget me from your du'a

Your sister in Islam ,
Nora

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ژاله
09-03-2009, 02:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mercurial
Thanks sis.

I'll wailt for someone else to tell me about the former.

Also, how to pronounce it? Ridaa-e?
no you pronounce it ridaa' , unless it is followed by some other word, eg ridaa-e-zahra (thats a name.)

'Abdul Rahmaan
09-03-2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks both of you sisters.

'Abdul Rahmaan
10-01-2009, 03:11 AM

تسطع

تستطع

islamlover_girl
10-01-2009, 04:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mercurial

تسطع

تستطع

These two words are in sorat alkahf in quran

He (Khidr) said: "Verily! You will not be able to have patience with me!(surat Alkahf 67)

"And as for the wall, it belonged to two orphan boys in the town; and there was under it a treasure belonging to them; and their father was a righteous man, and your Lord intended that they should attain their age of full strength and take out their treasure as a mercy from your Lord. And I did it not of my own accord. That is the interpretation of those (things) over which you could not hold patience." (surat alkahf 82)

both of them mean can or mean is able to they are two forms of the same verb
in arabic when we increase the letters in the word by adding here the letter ت it makes the verb more strong
at the first aya we used تستطع because the matter was hard for Musa peace be upon him that he wasn`t able to interprete what his friend Alkhedr doing

while in the other aya we used تسطع because now the mater is easier that Alkhedr had already given him the interpretation of what he wasen`t able to understand

an arabic site
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1122528603136

if u didn`t get it just let me know

Humbler_359
10-01-2009, 04:53 AM
:sl: Brother and Sister,

I am very interested to learn Arabic as writing, I am myself beautifully reciting Arabic in Qur'an and can read Arabic well. I need to improve my writing since long times. :D

Wasalaam.

Khaldun
10-01-2009, 11:00 AM
:sl:

As a rule of thumb in arabic:

If there is an increase in the number of letters of the word there is an increase it its meaning.

As for the word ridaa' then it is specific and refers to upper part of an garment. For an example the clothes you were for ihraam they are made up of two pieces there is the ridaa' that you wear on your shoulders and then there is the izaar that you tie around your waist.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.