/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Music Haram?

sury
09-03-2009, 09:11 PM
I enjoy music and music is a part of my life and culture since I was a litlle child. In my country music is very important to us all, muslims, non muslims and its a part of everyones culture. But someone after all this years told me that music in Islam is haram and we commiting a sin listening to music. But I grew up my all life being muslim and listening to music and nobody told me ever that music is haram.
Listening to music doesnt make my faith decrease, no way. I believe in ALLAH and there is nothing in this world that can make me change my mind.

But is music haram?

Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
al Amaanah
09-03-2009, 10:01 PM
:salamext:

subhana Allah im surprised at some of the replies here. matter is clear walhamdulillah.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/5000

may Allah grant us 3ilm and hidaayah, Allahomma ameen.

:w:

Zane
09-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm not too sure about this topic myself, however, I go to Islamic gatherings with some friends and one of the people there said that music not only detaches you from the world but from Allah subhanatallah aswell. The logic behind this? In times, when you could be remembering your lord, there are headphones stuffed in your ears playing something which will neither benefit you here nor in the afterlife. Not only that, but people are listening to it all the time, it was only a few weeks ago where I was driving around town trying to find a parking space when a man walked into the middle of the road in front of me completely oblivious that he was about to be hit; he was listening to music on his headphones.

I too listen to music, however, i do not own an mp3 player and do not listen to music as if it is a necessity. However, I would really like to know about this topic with some hadith to back it up. I have tried to limit my listening of music and if told that music is haraam I will pack it in completely inshallah.

Salaam

Uthman
09-03-2009, 10:08 PM
:salamext:

We should avoid giving our own opinions concerning matters of halal and haraam.

Please see this thread regarding the topic at hand: http://www.islamicboard.com/worship-...an-sunnah.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
czgibson
09-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by al Amaanah
subhana Allah im surprised at some of the replies here. matter is clear walhamdulillah.
I'm also surprised that there are some Muslim voices here who don't know about the prohibition on music. Maybe it's just because I've seen the discussion come up so many times on the fourm.

It's clear that the prohibition exists; what nobody seems able to agree on is why. As people here have said, music in and of itself does no harm to anyone.

Peace

Hayaa
09-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Sayyiduna Abu Malik al-Ash’ari (Allah be pleased with him) reports that he heard the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) say: “There will appear people in my Ummah, who will hold adultery, silk, alcohol and musical instruments to be lawful” (Sahih al-Bukhari)

Abu Malik al-Ash’ari (Allah be pleased with him) narrates a similar type of Hadith, but a different wording. He reports that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Soon there will be people from my Ummah who will consume alcohol, they will change its name (by regarding it permissible. m), on there heads will be instruments of music and singing. Allah will make the ground swallow them up, and turn them into monkeys and swine” (Sahih Ibn Hibban & Sunan Ibn Majah, with a sound chain of narration).

cat eyes
09-03-2009, 10:16 PM
i would also like to add some major health problems music can cause:)

this is what i have researched effects of music on nervous system. as its a long topic i will try to keep it short and simple:nervous:

these findings were quoted and published ''The effects of music'' from the foundation of biology (William D. mcElory and carl p.swanson and others

inshallaah it will benefit you. not many people like biology or understand it well.

The two major health divisions of the automatic nervous system are called the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems.''

Sympathetic nerves leave the middle regions of the spinal cord.

''parasympathetic nerves leave the central nervous system from the upper regions where they travel in the cranial nerves. pairs of nerves attached to brain and serving head and neck and from the lowermost regions of the spinal cord where they travel in spinal nerves.

most internal organs of your body are supplied with both parasympathetic and sympathetic nerve fibres.

these two types of nerves work in opposite ways. for example, impulses travelling along sympathetic nerve fibres toward the heart increase your heartbeat rate, whereas impulses travelling along the parasympathetic nerves leading to the heart decrease its rate.

when we examine the effects of sympathetic stimulation of various organs, a pattern begins to emerge. we find that sympathetic stimulation causes a number of events.

1) widening of air passage leading to the lungs

2)constriction or narrowing of blood vessel in the skin and in the intestinal tract. resulting in blood being shifted from the digestive organs and skin to the muscles.

3)A general slowing down of movements in the intestinal tract

4)An increase in the force and rate of heartbeat

5)Release of the blood sugar from the liver

6)Release of the harmones adrenaline

All of these activities prepare the human being for emergencies, such as running or fighting. the widening of air passages makes it easier for the human being to breathe faster and get more oxygen. Blood is shifted from regions where it will not be needed during the emergency the intestinal tract for example to skeletal and heart muscle which will need oxygen and blood sugar.

the heart beats faster and stronger so that blood circulates through the muscles at a greater rate. blood sugar is released from storage in the liver into the blood stream where it will be available to supply muscles energy.

This is not even the half of it. it goes on to say alot more to the mental effects and to the influence's music has. :exhausted

I Will continue later

MSalman
09-03-2009, 10:17 PM
@czgibson

Being a Muslims does not by default entail that you know about everything regarding religious rulings. Some people could be influenced by deviant thoughts so they may have wrong idea or some may never cared about it because they thought that it is not such a big deal.

As far music in and of itself not being not harmful, then no one said it is. It is harmful when you listen/play to it as the evil consequences or affects of listening/playing Music outweigh the little benefit which may be there.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.