/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Premium Memberships?

Beardo
09-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Assalamu Alaykum,

As you guys know, the forum costs hundreds of dollars per month to run with server costs, etc. Which is why we have advertisements decorating the forum.

I want to slowly make us an independent forum, as the current advertisers disable us to put up our own adverts.

SO, here is a solution someone had suggested to me: PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP. Premium Members will have a larger Private Messaging inbox, color coded usernames, they'll also be allowed to advertise in their signatures, etc etc. I was thinking $5 a month or $50 a year or something. I'll go into details AFTER I receive your opinions on this.

PLEASE NOTE: This isn't for EVERY member. Just members that CHOOSE to support the forum's payments.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MSalman
09-06-2009, 08:26 PM
wa'alaykum as-salam

just a quick question: do you ikhwaan have dedicated or private hosting servers?

Beardo
09-06-2009, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamiclife
wa'alaykum as-salam

just a quick question: do you ikhwaan have dedicated or private hosting servers?
Dedicated servers, alhamdulillah. :D

Beardo
09-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Bumperz Thumperz.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Misz_Muslimah
09-06-2009, 09:07 PM
To be honest I dont think thats a good idea..why dont you ask ppl to donate somehow and they get a prize or something like that..dont follow my advice..just an idea :)

Beardo
09-06-2009, 09:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Misz_Muslimah
To be honest I dont think thats a good idea..why dont you ask ppl to donate somehow and they get a prize or something like that..dont follow my advice..just an idea :)
Well, that's the thing. You don't exactly want to rely on donations. By premium membership, it's more like a trade and incentive.

Misz_Muslimah
09-06-2009, 09:14 PM
But wouldnt that seperate the members..maybe ppl will stop going online because they'll feel that they're being left out?!

Beardo
09-06-2009, 09:15 PM
But wouldnt that seperate the members..maybe ppl will stop going online because they'll feel that they're being left out?!
That's a risk. That's true... But this is how I look at it. The majority will NOT be purchasing this premium membership option, so those who buy it will be the minority.

Misz_Muslimah
09-06-2009, 09:18 PM
just wanted to know what would be the difference between premium and normal member?

Beardo
09-06-2009, 09:20 PM
just wanted to know what would be the difference between premium and normal member?
Normal members will have less PM inbox limits, they will not be able to advertise on their signatures, they will not have color coded usernames like premium members... Those are the only 3 differences I can think of at the moment.

Danah
09-06-2009, 09:30 PM
This exactly what will happen when such policy will be applied!
I don't think that this will help actually, we gotta think about something else to cover the costs

Beardo
09-06-2009, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
This exactly what will happen when such policy will be applied!
I don't think that this will help actually, we gotta think about something else to cover the costs
I heard one of the initial owners of IslamicBoard said "If you don't like the way we do, then cough up." He was referring to the Adverts though, I believe...

Any ideas, guys? I just don't see any other way we can get a consistent income per month.

Ansariyah
09-06-2009, 09:42 PM
InshAllah hope it works out!

Can people have rainbow names too...like each letter with a diff colour! Now we talking...Free too for the sisters.

Rabi'ya
09-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Is there any option of a shop section to the website? I know this is a long shot but how about teaming up with say a bookseller/clothing website and you can take a cut of any trade coming out of the website.

I for one would definitely not be happy paying. This is one of the better forums around maybe i'd go as far as to say the best, for what it is. I feel many other member would not be happy either.

What with all the changes that seems to be going on? People are scared of change. slowly slowly!! please :)

Beardo
09-06-2009, 09:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya
Is there any option of a shop section to the website? I know this is a long shot but how about teaming up with say a bookseller/clothing website and you can take a cut of any trade coming out of the website.

I for one would definitely not be happy paying. This is one of the better forums around maybe i'd go as far as to say the best, for what it is. I feel many other member would not be happy either.

What with all the changes that seems to be going on? People are scared of change. slowly slowly!! please :)
JannahBookstore.com :hmm:

It won't get enough to sustain this forum. Again, people, please post your ideas.

I was consider this. If 20 people buy a site from Jannah Studios for $100 each, then we're pretty much set. any site. Any domain.

Rabi'ya
09-06-2009, 10:06 PM
:sl: bro

I wasn't saying its the only option but just trying to give ideas. Are there not any other otions with regards to clothing.bookstores online? I'll keep thinking inshAllah if I get any other ideas ill post them :)

Beardo
09-06-2009, 10:09 PM
:sl: bro

I wasn't saying its the only option but just trying to give ideas. Are there not any other otions with regards to clothing.bookstores online? I'll keep thinking inshAllah if I get any other ideas ill post them :)
As I said lol, JannahBookstore.com is apart of IslamicBoard.com. It's all under the same Network. JannahNetwork.com.

We need more ideas. Jazax for the ideas so far, but keep reeling them in. I really think there is no harm with Premium Memberships, but seeing majority of you are against it...

Rabi'ya
09-06-2009, 10:15 PM
:sl:

I just don't see how anyone will benefit. I mean how many people actually use the features you are talking about - excess inbox space? and how many members actually advertise in their sig?

Will the amount of people who use these facilities really generate enough income?

Beardo
09-06-2009, 10:19 PM

I just don't see how anyone will benefit. I mean how many people actually use the features you are talking about - excess inbox space? and how many members actually advertise in their sig?

Will the amount of people who use these facilities really generate enough income?
I think they will generate the income.

In terms of advertising in sigs: You'd be surprised how many members have links to their blogs and such in their signatures! I think that's the main feature that'll attract people to purchase the premium membership.

Rabi'ya
09-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Hmm, I guess you must have looked into things like this. Personally, If I had a link in my sig I would edit it :P

I pray you find a way to generate the income requires. Don't want the forum to suffer.

Danah
09-06-2009, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
I think they will generate the income.

In terms of advertising in sigs: You'd be surprised how many members have links to their blogs and such in their signatures! I think that's the main feature that'll attract people to purchase the premium membership.
Oh :ooh:
so even advertising to ones blog will be under premium membership features??
That will really make things harder for people here :hmm:

anyways, good luck!

Beardo
09-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Jazakumullah. Looks like nobody likes the idea. In that case, this idea of mine will be suspended for now. If you have anymore ideas, please do post here.

Cabdullahi
09-06-2009, 10:53 PM
i hardly have funds for bus fare to travel and get education , the small subsidy i get will not be spent on a website....i cant even upload an avatar and they want 50 quid.....luckily its a choice

Beardo
09-06-2009, 10:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
i hardly have funds for bus fare to travel and get education , the small subsidy i get will not be spent on a website....i cant even upload an avatar and they want 50 quid.....luckily its a choice

The premium membership is only an option, not a compulsion. :X

MSalman
09-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Dedicated servers, alhamdulillah. :D
allhamdulillah

akhee, what are the monthly costs, if you do not mind sharing, and why dedicated hosting? I know, as a webmaster, the features and benefits. But why dedicated hosting; why not shared hosting? I am sure the board would work just fine on shared hosting and I do not think that 1000s of users visit the forum at the same time.

Cabdullahi
09-06-2009, 11:06 PM
The premium membership is only an option, not a compulsion. :X
yes i know but im not too fond of the commercialization of IB

i have an alternative something called ''pay to charity pay to run IB'' members will donate money for a good cause and at the same time keep the forum running
the total money received will be divided for running costs and charity....60% charity and 40% IB or whatever percentages

Far7an
09-06-2009, 11:13 PM

These are just some options which are being considered.

Nothing has been finalised yet, the staff want to ensure first and foremost that whatever decision is made, is within the interests of the members of IslamicBoard. We appreciate all the comments and feedback, and we request you all to make du'aa insha'Allah.

Jazaakallahu khayran.

Beardo
09-06-2009, 11:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamiclife
allhamdulillah

akhee, what are the monthly costs, if you do not mind sharing, and why dedicated hosting? I know, as a webmaster, the features and benefits. But why dedicated hosting; why not shared hosting? I am sure the board would work just fine on shared hosting and I do not think that 1000s of users visit the forum at the same time.
Well, that's what the previous managers had, and that is what I am using as well. Otherwise, the forum will be super slow to load.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
yes i know but im not too fond of the commercialization of IB

i have an alternative something called ''pay to charity pay to run IB'' members will donate money for a good cause and at the same time keep the forum running
the total money received will be divided for running costs and charity....60% charity and 40% IB or whatever percentages
Please provide more details.

MMohammed
09-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Waalikum Assalam.
I wanted to ask that what is actually costing you, Web or Vbulletin?
If web, you can change your web hoster.And if Vbulletin, there is a post importer of Phpbb, switch to Phpbb, Its great.
And if not, then provide Premium members great things.

Muhaba
09-07-2009, 02:56 PM
How about selling print version of the Al-Qalam newsletter to those who order it. it may take time but eventually i think there would be many ppl who would want to buy a printed copy.

Beardo
09-07-2009, 06:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
How about selling print version of the Al-Qalam newsletter to those who order it. it may take time but eventually i think there would be many ppl who would want to buy a printed copy.
That'll be more of an expense with printing costs lol. You'd want it professionally printed. I can try finding someone for that though, insha'Allah. Let's first get the first issue out though.

Muezzin
09-09-2009, 05:31 PM
What if Premium Members could create userpages?

I don't know if userpages were dropped because they were too expensive, or because the new software updates wouldn't support them, but it would be incentive for members to invest in premium memberships, should such memberships be chosen as the primary source of fundraising.

S_87
09-09-2009, 05:38 PM
why dont u just have a fundraiser wher you aim to raise x amount of £ and members can give a one off payment and if successful make it a yearly thing?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!