/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Women in the masjid

Amanda
09-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Assalamu alaikum,

As a recent revert, I have a question about women in the masjid. I have seen several different layouts for masjids, and was wondering what is the most common or proper? Sometimes there is a separate section (either a different room, or floor/balcony) for the women, sometimes there is a partition (like a curtain), and sometimes there is no partition, just designated areas (you know, same room but women in one area and men in another). Also, sometimes I have seen the men and women separated side to side and sometimes front and back.

How is it usually done in your masjids? And how do you feel about the different layouts?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
DigitalStorm82
09-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Welcome to Islam sister, may Allah protect you and increase your Imaan, Inshallah.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear sister in Islam, thanks a lot for your question which reflects your care to have a clear view of the teachings of Islam. Allah commands Muslims to refer to people of knowledge to get themselves well-acquainted with the teachings of Islam as well as all aspects of life.

It is perfectly Islamic to hold meetings of men and women inside the Masjid, whether for prayers or for any other Islamic purpose, without separating them with a curtain, partition or wall.

If there is a concern that the lines of men and women will mix inside the Masajid, then there is no harm in putting a lower barrier, only to demarcate the separate area for women. But women should not be put in a totally separate room in the Masajid unless there is a shortage of space and no other proper arrangement can be done for them.

Giving a detailed answer to the question posed, Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, president of the Fiqh Council of North America , states:

Both men and women are allowed to pray in the Mosque in the same Jama`ah (congregational prayer). When men and women are together in the Masjid then we should have first men’s lines behind the Imam, then children and then women. This is the way Muslims used to pray behind the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). He did not make or ask his Companions to have a curtain or wall between the lines of men and women. (See Al-Sindi’s Commentary on Sunan An-Nasa’i, p. 798)

According to the Shari`ah, it is not required to have a partition, neither of temporary nor of permanent nature, between men and women in the Masjid.

It is perfectly Islamic to hold meetings of men and women inside the Masjid, whether for prayers or for any other Islamic purpose, without separating them with a curtain, partition or wall.

It is, however, very important that Muslim women come to public gatherings wearing proper Islamic dress, for it is Haram (forbidden) for a Muslim woman to attend a public gathering without a full Islamic dress. She must cover her hair and neck with a scarf, which should also go over her bosom. Her dress should be modest and loose enough in order not to reveal the shape of her body.

It stands to reason that partitions were introduced inside the Masajid later in Islamic history. This was done, perhaps, because some women began coming to Mosques without observing proper Islamic dress, or perhaps, some men wanted to discourage them from coming to Mosques. In the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) there was no curtain or partition in his Masjid, although women used to come to the Masjid almost for every prayer and for many other gatherings. It is, however, reported that they used to come to the Masjid dressed up in long clothes. `A’ishah, the Mother of the Believers (may Allah be pleased with her) said that the believing women used to attend the Dawn prayer with the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). They used to come wrapped up in their long garments and then they used to return to their homes after the prayer, no one could recognize them because of the darkness. (Reported by Al-Bukhari)

Jama`ah means a congregation of people who are praying behind one Imam in continuous lines without any barrier or interruption. As for people who pray behind the Imam, they should either see the Imam or see those who are in front of them. There is no Jama`ah when a person is in one room and his/her Imam in another room, the lines are not continuous and the people behind the Imam are also not visible, otherwise people would not have to come to the Masjid for Jama`ah prayer. They would stay home and pray listening to the loudspeakers from their Masjid or through intercoms. They could nowadays even pray Jama`ah prayer in this way in their own homes listening to the prayer broadcasts coming from Makkah and Madinah on their radios, television sets or through the Internet. But no jurists have ever allowed a Jama`ah prayer in this way.

The definition of Jama`ah that I gave above is a general one and it is applicable to both men and women. Only in the case of necessity this rule can be relaxed. For example, if the Masjid was too small and people had to pray on different levels or in different rooms to accommodate every person then this would be permissible because of necessity. Muslims should not deliberately and for no reason bifurcate their congregation in their Masajid.

If there is a concern that the lines of men and women will mix inside the Masajid, then there is no harm in putting a lower barrier, only to demarcate the separate area for women. But women should not be put in a totally separate room in the Masajid unless there is a shortage of space and no other proper arrangement can be done for them.

www.islamonline.net

Rasema
09-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa baraktuh

Thanks brother for your lenghty reply.

But the seggregation of man and woman is schools? Then why not in the mesjid?

For this reason I don't go to mesjid.

kwolney01
09-07-2009, 09:05 PM
At the Masjid I go to there is just a area in the back for the women. There's a small room also for the women if they do not feel comfortable being in the open. Other Masjid's I've been to have separate rooms.

Either way I don't care. It doesn't matter to me which way they have it set up. I think it's just important that they have an area for the women to pray.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rasema
09-07-2009, 09:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kwolney01
At the Masjid I go to there is just a area in the back for the women. There's a small room also for the women if they do not feel comfortable being in the open. Other Masjid's I've been to have separate rooms.

Either way I don't care. It doesn't matter to me which way they have it set up. I think it's just important that they have an area for the women to pray.
:sl:
True, but it would be better if we were separated.

Amanda
09-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Thank you for such a detailed answer! I understand why people may want to be separate, but the idea of not being able to see the imam has always bothered me. I'm glad to know that a partition is not necessary. Now if I can just find a masjid close to me that feels the same way!

peaceandlove
09-09-2009, 06:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amanda
Assalamu alaikum,

As a recent revert, I have a question about women in the masjid. I have seen several different layouts for masjids, and was wondering what is the most common or proper? Sometimes there is a separate section (either a different room, or floor/balcony) for the women, sometimes there is a partition (like a curtain), and sometimes there is no partition, just designated areas (you know, same room but women in one area and men in another). Also, sometimes I have seen the men and women separated side to side and sometimes front and back.

How is it usually done in your masjids? And how do you feel about the different layouts?

Well you have seen so many layouts just because there might be lack of place in some mosque so they just drop curton , and if the mosque is multilevel they just made a separate section , if there was no multilevel and no curtain then women has to pray before man.

All of them are right ? and i think there is no specific reason behind that but just the amount of space available ? is not simple any issue , why are you confused about this?

and your question How do you feel about different layout? i feel as same as you see different houses with different layout , well i don't ask you why each house is different from another in your country and what you feel about that?;D;D;D

Rabi'ya
09-09-2009, 08:36 PM

In my local masjid there is a completely different hall for the brothers and the sister. However, there is a TV in the sisters room which has a video link to the imam so we can follow him during salaah. There is also voice only if we prefer not to put the TV on as this may be distracting dring salaah. It is slightly higher than eye level so if you don't want to see you just need to look down. and for those who do want to see the imaam then just look straight ahead :)

glo
09-09-2009, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya

In my local masjid there is a completely different hall for the brothers and the sister. However, there is a TV in the sisters room which has a video link to the imam so we can follow him during salaah. There is also voice only if we prefer not to put the TV on as this may be distracting dring salaah. It is slightly higher than eye level so if you don't want to see you just need to look down. and for those who do want to see the imaam then just look straight ahead :)
When I visited our local mosque the women's room also had a TV in the corner to follow the imam on screen.

I wonder, is it permissible for a woman to lead other women in prayer, rather than following a man on the TV?

Nora.
09-10-2009, 02:07 AM
to glo
here's the answer
Women leading prayers
Can women pray in congregation ( Jamaah ) with a woman performing as Imaam ?

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not prescribed for women to recite the adhaan and iqaamah as it is for men. If a woman does recite the adhaan and iqaamah, it may be one of the three following scenarios:

1 – She recites the adhaan and iqaamah for a group of men only, or for a mixed group of men and women. This is not prescribed in Islam and her adhaan and iqaamah for a group of men do not count

2 – She recites them for a group of women only.

3 – Or she recites them for herself when she is alone.

It is permissible for her to recite the adhaan for a group of women or for herself, but it is not like the case with men. For men it is more emphatically required, whereas for women, if they give the adhaan it is permissible, and if they do not, it is also permissible. If a woman does recite the adhaan, she must keep her voice low and make it just loud enough for her companions to hear.

If a woman says the iqaamah for herself or for a group of women, that is better and is closer to what is mustahabb, but if she does not do that, the prayer is still valid.

With regard to a woman leading the prayers and acting as an imaam, one of the two following scenarios may apply:

1 – A woman leading men, or a mixed group of men and women. It is not correct for a woman to lead men in prayers at all, regardless of whether it is a fard (obligatory) prayer or a naafil (supererogatory) prayer.

2 – A woman leading women in prayer. It is mustahabb for women to pray together (in jamaa’ah) when they get together in a place. One of them should lead the others, but she should stand with them in the middle of the row. It is permissible and correct for a woman to lead other women in prayer.

From Wilaayat al-Mar’ah fi’l-Fiqh al-Islami

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.