/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What do the imaams preach or give sermons about in the mosque?

blackbeard88
09-09-2009, 12:56 AM
i never asked this question and i don't know if this question should be in this thread or not. i just wondered about what the imaams say or how do they give sermons? and you hear so many rumurs about the spiritual leaders and that they preach hate and violence. then you hear about how so many mosques are being watched and the mosque where i live, there was an incident on the news where the police had gathered around, saying that there was violent activities taking place there.

a person hears so many mixed messages about islam. it's really unbelievable at how so many people don't really understand or fully have knowledge about what islam stands for and what it means, myself included with the ignorant bunch. i understand and realize that the prophet was a peaceful messenger of God. i get that, i really do. so i'm thinking that it's like christianity in a way because i'm thinking that the imaams would recite out of the koran and speak about God and the prophets in islam. like how a pastor preaches about the trinity and the stories in the bible while in church. am i right or wrong?

and what does it take to be an imaam? is it something you have to go to school for? i know there are christian schools like concordia seminaries and universities where you can study theology and such. is that the same for people wanting to be imaams? can females be imaams and lead prayers or sermons in the mosque? i just want to know about the beginnings of becoming an imaam, what they preach about and how they chose being an imaam as their life's path? and that's about it, i think, hmm.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
_ALI_
09-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Salam blackbeard88
i never asked this question and i don't know if this question should be in this thread or not. i just wondered about what the imaams say or how do they give sermons? and you hear so many rumurs about the spiritual leaders and that they preach hate and violence. then you hear about how so many mosques are being watched and the mosque where i live, there was an incident on the news where the police had gathered around, saying that there was violent activities taking place there.
Don't let the rumors lead you the wrong way. Well in my country (Muslim majority), Imams usually give sermons on Friday. In many mosques, Imams have a fixed day and time to give explanation of Quran and a day for hadith. During Ramzan, after Tarawi (Ramzan prayers), many Imams explain the verses recited during the prayers. But the main sermon is on Friday. That semon may have any topic. For example, these days, the main topic of the sermons is Ramzan and fasting. Imams explain different verses of Quran and Hadith regarding fasting. In other months, the topic may be prayers (Salaah), Charity (Zakat, Sadka). During the pilgrimage season, the topic is pilgrimage. Otherwise we have topics such as Oneness of God, preservation of Quran, rights of Quran, fearing God, stories of messengers, associating partners with God (Shirk). Sometimes the topic is related to the society such as lawful earnings (Rizq-e-Halal), Rights of parents, rights of relatives/neighbors. Sometimes, Imams narrate the story of prophet Muhammad or his companions. The story of 4 righteous Caliphs after prophet Muhammad is also told. There are many other topics. Regarding how they do it, well, in Arab countries, the entire sermon is in Arabic. However in a non-Arab country (like mine), in the first 30-40 minutes the sermon is in the local language and in the next 10-15 minutes, there is a special Arabic sermon.
and what does it take to be an imaam? is it something you have to go to school for? i know there are christian schools like concordia seminaries and universities where you can study theology and such. is that the same for people wanting to be imaams?
Over here, most Imams are graduate from madrassas (Islamic religious schools). They usually have sufficient knowledge regarding Quran and Islam. I don't know about European countries or America though.
can females be imaams and lead prayers or sermons in the mosque?
Well generally females are not allowed to lead prayers when the praying people are both male and female, simply because Islam respects women. I wouldn't want my sister or my mother to bend or bow in front of males inside a mosque.
Peace

Woodrow
09-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Here in the USA the brief lecture before Jummah on Friday is nearly always directed at the importance of setting a good example as Muslims, another common topic is the denouncing of any acts of violence.

There are no ordained clergy. Most commonly in the USA the Imaam will be the person most capable of leading the prayers. The preferences are usually in this order: A graduate of a Madrassa, the most knowledgeable member of the community, the oldest member of the community.

cat eyes
09-12-2009, 01:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by blackbeard88
and you hear so many rumurs about the spiritual leaders and that they preach hate and violence.

a person hears so many mixed messages about islam. it's really unbelievable at how so many people don't really understand or fully have knowledge about what islam stands for and what it means, myself included with the ignorant bunch.

Your are totally right about that. islam is a religion of peace and Allah swt dose not encourage violence at all

but you will find corrupted people in every religion unfortunately.

they deceive people by dressing like muslims but in there hearts they hide a much darker secret and there is many hadiths about these people and Allah has also described these so called peace makers in the holy Qur'an

Al Baqara verse 8 ''And of mankind there are some who say we believe in Allah and the last day'' while infact they believe not.

9. they think to decieve Allah and those who believe while they only decieve themselves, and percieve it not.

10.in their hearts is a disease and Allah has increased there disease and Allah has increased there disease. a painful doom is theirs because they lie

11.And when it is said to them make not mischeif on the earth''they say, we are only peace makers only.

12verily they are the ones who make mischief but they percieve not.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.