/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Time: Human Perception? Islamic perspective wanted

blazingflames17
09-11-2009, 12:42 AM
I would like to hear the Islamic perspective on the concept of time. I googled it but only a few results here and there appeared. Me, I think time is just a human perception, a product of our mind so we can keep track of things like what hour it is or what is the date. If we are happy and having a great time, time flies by. But, if we are in pain and miserable, time is very slow.

So, I would like to see the Islamic view arguing for or against time. I'm not debating with anyone, I just want to see where Islamic philosophy stands on a topic such as this.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
hrm
09-14-2009, 08:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by blazingflames17

I would like to hear the Islamic perspective on the concept of time.
Brother , from your description below your avatar it says " Undisclosed" so I take it you are not from the faith of Islam and thats why you have so much confusion.
Me, I think time is just a human perception, a product of our mind so we can keep track of things like what hour it is or what is the date. If we are happy and having a great time, time flies by. But, if we are in pain and miserable, time is very slow.
You have every right to think or raise your opinion and defend it with facts and figures as you wish. This is the charter of democracy given to us by Allah 1500 years ago which still holds true. You believe time is just a human perception but how would you give your arguments on this point?? You say when you are happy and having a great time , time flys by. People have a great time doing zina and drinking wine and time flys by for them as well but that doesn't mean they are doing right. Whatever is against the spirit of islam and has been forbidden by Allah and his rasul s.a.w no matter how much pleasure we can drive from it, it is time NOT WELL SPENT I]

So, I would like to see the Islamic view arguing for or against time.
In islam time is very important. Salah ( 5 daily prayers ) have fixed timings. So is the Day of Judgement has a fixed time. :Koran: Surah Al-Naba aya 17 " Surely the Day of Decision is a fixed time"
:Koran: Surah Yunus aya 49 " For every nation there is an appointed time. When their time come, then they cannot put it off an hour , nor hasten (it)""

I hope brother this has helped you. If you need further clearification, don't hesitate to ask me or others here. :statisfie

Rabi'ya
09-14-2009, 08:26 AM
:sl:

I too have often wondered this and I feel that what th OP is trying to clarify is time as we define it nowadays. As in 1pm, or 3am. there is, as far as aI know, no concept of this in ISlam and indeed it is merely a way of us keeping track of certain things. As the timings of each "days" change each day. (my this is hard to describe with my limited vocab.)anyway, what i mean to say is, Salaah for example, is at a set time, however this "time" changes every day. we take Maghrib for instance, this is at sunset each day. no one can deny this, but the human perception of "time" for sunset changes every day. similarly with Asr(depending on ur school of thought) this is in the afternoon. And how we determine it is not through the human perception of time but through practical, visible evidence. we calculate it to the naked eye through shadows and the length of these (no??) whilst my knowledge is very limited, from what little i do have I hope i havent confused anyone any more.

As for the day of Judgement. No one can deny it is a set time. but we cannot for example say it is 10am on a particular date. It is in fact a set point in time. time here being infinite.

I hope inshAllah someone can understand further, perhaps someone with more knowledge than me(which wont be hard lol) and can explain what I'm trying to say.

hrm
09-14-2009, 08:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya

I too have often wondered this and I feel that what th OP is trying to clarify is time as we define it nowadays. As in 1pm, or 3am.
:sl::statisfie The brother here is not talking about 1 o clock or 2 o clock time as you mentioned but talking about the concept of time as a whole which I have explained in my previous thread.

Allah , however, knows best. Hope I have clearified the position. :statisfie

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.