/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why believe?

Guardiands
09-13-2009, 04:37 AM
I came from a background that relied on a religious "feeling" to attest to the truth of their beliefs. I know other religions that just assume some book is true, so then assume the religion is true.

But how does Islam work? Why would you believe? Is it based on some metaphysical experience? Based on some intellectual decision to believe a book? What is the root of belief for Islam?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
blazingflames17
09-13-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm still struggling with it but basically it is that Allah is the one true God and Muhammad is his messenger. God has no partner, and Islam is all about the oneness of God. The Quran is the guiding book for all while the hadith is the writings of Muhammad and other early muslims.

I am interested in Islam because of the scientific miracles found in it that nobody could have possibly known! But I'm new so I must research now as well so you need to look into it mostly yourself man it's up to you to do it!

Guardiands
09-14-2009, 12:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by blazingflames17
I'm still struggling with it but basically it is that Allah is the one true God and Muhammad is his messenger. God has no partner, and Islam is all about the oneness of God. The Quran is the guiding book for all while the hadith is the writings of Muhammad and other early muslims.

I am interested in Islam because of the scientific miracles found in it that nobody could have possibly known! But I'm new so I must research now as well so you need to look into it mostly yourself man it's up to you to do it!
Thank you for your response. So it would seem that you yourself are intellectually a believer, based on the scientific miracles? Is this why most people believe, in your experience? I'm also interested from others on here that believe, as to why? Does Islam believe at all in a metaphysical belief? Kind of like a spiritual testimony to the truth? Or is it more just analyzing the claims of the Quran and from that intellectually accepting Islam, Allah, Quran, etc.?

I am really curious as to why people believe what they believe. And I have little knowledge of Islam. Thanks.

Amanda
09-17-2009, 09:05 AM
For myself, as I started to learn about Islam, it just made sense. All the questions that other religions had raised for me were answered by Islam. Then, as it all started to seem logical, it also just felt right for me. I felt at peace, and I knew that if this religion made both my intellect and my soul feel peaceful, then it was definitely right for me. Now, as I am learning more, I am discovering the scientific miracles in the Quran and other incredible things like that. These aren't the reasons that brought me to Islam, but they keep affirming my decision.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
_ALI_
09-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Salam Guardiands
I came from a background that relied on a religious "feeling" to attest to the truth of their beliefs. I know other religions that just assume some book is true, so then assume the religion is true.

But how does Islam work? Why would you believe? Is it based on some metaphysical experience? Based on some intellectual decision to believe a book? What is the root of belief for Islam?
There are many reasons why Muslims believe that Quran is the word of God.
1) It may be due to the prescientific knowledge given in the Quran.
www.quranmiracles.com
2) It may be because of historical miracles of the Quran
http://miraclesofthe quran/historical_index.html
(remove the space)
3) It may be due to the mathematical miracles
http://miraclesofthe quran/mathematical_index.html
(remove the space)
4) It may be because it was predicted by many religious scriptures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAJ-m...eature=related
5) It may be because it gives us a perfect way of life at an individual and helps us to attain inner peace. A practicing Muslim never feels fear regarding the future or grief regarding past.

002.038 قُلْنَا اهْبِطُوا مِنْهَا جَمِيعًا فَإِمَّا يَأْتِيَنَّكُمْ مِنِّي هُدًى فَمَنْ تَبِعَ هُدَايَ فَلا خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلا هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ
002.038 We said: "Get ye down all from here; and if, as is sure, there comes to you Guidance from me, whosoever follows My guidance, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
Al-Qur'an, 002.038 (Al-Baqara [The Cow])
Text Copied from DivineIslam's Qur'an Viewer software v2.910

6) It may be because it gives us a set of ideal rules and regulations which when applied can give an ideal society. We can prove that by giving the example of Hazrat Umer, who on the application of Quran created a prosperous society.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reforms_of_Umar's_era
7) Mostly People believe in Islam because it is simple and its principles are in accordance with our inner ethical code (such as equality, justice etc). Its fundamental concepts such as oneness of God, Judgement day appeals to our thinking.
8) Also Quran is the greatest literary miracle of the Arabic language. At the height of poetry, Quran came and it gave a challenge

002.023 وَإِنْ كُنْتُمْ فِي رَيْبٍ مِمَّا نَزَّلْنَا عَلَى عَبْدِنَا فَأْتُوا بِسُورَةٍ مِنْ مِثْلِهِ وَادْعُوا شُهَدَاءَكُمْ مِنْ دُونِ اللَّهِ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ صَادِقِينَ
002.023 And if ye are in doubt as to what We have revealed from time to time to Our servant, then produce a Sura like thereunto; and call your witnesses or helpers (If there are any) besides Allah, if your (doubts) are true.
002.024 فَإِنْ لَمْ تَفْعَلُوا وَلَنْ تَفْعَلُوا فَاتَّقُوا النَّارَ الَّتِي وَقُودُهَا النَّاسُ وَالْحِجَارَةُ أُعِدَّتْ لِلْكَافِرِينَ
002.024 But if ye cannot- and of a surety ye cannot- then fear the Fire whose fuel is men and stones,- which is prepared for those who reject Faith.
Al-Qur'an, 002.023-024 (Al-Baqara [The Cow])
Text Copied from DivineIslam's Qur'an Viewer software v2.910
All the Arab literary figures were given a challenge not to produce a whole book like Quran but to produce a single Surah like Quran. The smallest Surah of Quran consists of 3 sentences. But the pagans were unable to do so.
Here are a few reasons I have in my head right now. There may be more.
Peace

khalid zaheer
09-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Assalaam o alaikum

Believed by practicing of those unique principles which are given by Almighty.

Islam is the aggregation of some unique principles, an enlighten way mentioned in Quran, nothing more. Righteousness has entrusted to our souls by Almighty by birth, and give us "Guidance" to explore this "righteousness", He invited us to practice these unique principles in our lives to know what is right and what is wrong. When you will adopt these principles to your life then your inner will told you that you are one right path and Islam is truth.

So do practice, practice is the only way to know “Islam is truth or not”

regards

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!