/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan - copied from another religion?

Ummah
09-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Someone said to me that the whole concept of Ramadan was lifted from another religion. the name of that religion begins with S, it's an unheard of religion now apprently.

sorry i've just made a couple of threads regarding what 'someone' said to me. I'm in a rush and it's been 2 weeks since these things were said to me. I really need to find out though

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GreyKode
09-18-2009, 12:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummah
Someone said to me that the whole concept of Ramadan was lifted from another religion. the name of that religion begins with S, it's an unheard of religion now apprently.

sorry i've just made a couple of threads regarding what 'someone' said to me. I'm in a rush and it's been 2 weeks since these things were said to me. I really need to find out though
Give the full name of the religion, then we can talk.

But remember, "Koteba alaykum al seyamu kama kutiba ala allatheen men qablikom lallakum tattaqoon"
"Fasting has been prescribed upon you(oh believers) as it has been on the people before you.... "

Cabdullahi
09-18-2009, 12:07 AM
what kind of hype is this?

khadija20
09-18-2009, 12:19 AM
id say thats all lies sis. don't believe what people say unless they are a scholar

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eliphaz
09-18-2009, 01:27 AM
There have been many messengers send by Allah not mentioned by name in the Qur'an who have preached the same message of islam (lowecase referring to submission to Allah not the Islam that began with the Qur'an). I'd say the odds are quite high that one of them preached fasting and that this practice remained within an otherwise corrupted religion. Look at the Jews, they fast also.

It's not plagiarism if it all comes from the same source!

Rabi Mansur
09-20-2009, 06:50 PM
:sl:

In the Qur'an 2:183 it says:

"Oh you who believe, fasting is prescribed for you, as it was prescribed for those before you, so that you may guard against evil."

Fasting has been done in all ages and all religions. Hindus, Jews, Christians all have fasted as a part of their religious practices. It is certainly possible that fasting during Ramadan was done in another religion prior to the Qur'an. But that doesn't mean that the practice was simply lifted from another religion.

Sampharo
09-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Al-Hamdolellah that we have been blessed with completing Ramadan this year, and hope that our deeds are rewarded and our sins have been forgiven. Now back to the forum, I missed you guys the past 10 days. :)

Fasting is one of the four major acts of worship prescribed on mankind since the very beginning of time: prayer, fasting, charity, and pilgrimage.

The jews and christians have been prescribed all four but they changed and adjusted to suit their purposes. Lint is a skeletal remnant of fasting. The religion you might be referring to is "Al-Sabaa'" whose followers were called Sabe'oon, or Sabians in English: "VERILY, those who have attained to faith [in this divine writ], as well as those who follow the Jewish faith, and the Christians, and the Sabians -all who believe in God and the Last Day and do righteous deeds-shall have their reward with their Sustainer; and no fear need they have, and neither shall they grieve." [2:62] According to some scholars they were those who followed God's prescribed messages before Abraham received the full charge and message of Islam. According to the more weighty opinion amongst those Ibn Kathir mentioned, they are those who followed a line between Judaism and Christianity, basically followers of John the baptist.

It might be that or it might be one of a hundred red herrings that many doubt-seekers are throwing around simply to enjoy seeing doubt rise amongst those who are not fully knowledgable. It reminds of that athiest Bill Maher when he said "doubt is my commodity, that is my bread and butter." So be aware that there are those who make it their charge to create non-existing controversy or make outright lies, only to move on to the next. Don't waste your time nor others if the person doesn't even bother bringing a valid question or query.

Al Mu'minaat
09-29-2009, 01:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummah

Aslmalakium sister.. what was the name of the religion ??

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.