/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Literature homework

Mohamed_
10-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Salam Aleykum,
I'm a 16 years old converted muslim student at a high school, I converted to Islam for about 4 months, so not everything is clear for me.

We are studying about Hungarian 'poem authors' (don't know it's good like this).
One of them writen about the Turkish wars in Hungary.
So the teachers asked some questions about why the God punished the Hungarian nation by got attacked Turkey.

If I really have to do that homework then I've to write christian things and say some 'bad' word about Islam and good things about the chrisitans...

Well, I don't really want to do it. I don't believe in what chrisitans believe, and I can't think like a christian anymore, I think like a muslim.

And if I write those 'bad' words about Islam, then it's maybe a lie to myself, or no?

I don't even want to write about why being christian is good...

Or should I tell to the teacher 'I'm not allowed to do this homework?'.

Or should I tell the relative 'truth' thing (to me)? That's the Islam is the only one truth religion and the Hungarian christians were living with girls who they didn't marry and drunk alcohol?

Or what? :hmm::hmm:

By the way, I'm not trying to avoid my literature homework. I just don't wanna write about christians and why it's good to be one...

Please help me!:hmm:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
10-01-2009, 04:14 PM
what exactly is the essay question? and do u have to write it a certain way or is it what you think and your thoughts on the poetry etc? if its your thoughts then you can write what u want and the teacher cant say much because thats the whole point of the essay right?

Muslim Woman
10-01-2009, 04:30 PM
:wa:

format_quote Originally Posted by Mohamed_
Salam Aleykum,
I'm a 16 years old converted muslim ... why the God punished the Hungarian nation by got attacked Turkey.
Welcome to Islam bro ; May Allah bless u .

No idea about this war. Can u give some points ? If u want to write about ethics of war in Islam or why God punish good people in this world etc , then InshaAllah I can post some good links.

War ethics in Islam

Allah Almighty says: “To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged; and verily God is most powerful for their aid.” (Al-Hajj:39)

..The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, is reported to have said: “Beware of the prayer of the oppressed; for there is no barrier between it and Allah.”

...Whom to Fight:

Fighting should be directed only against fighting troops, and not to non- fighting personnel, and this is in compliance with the Qur’anic verse that reads: “ Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not, aggressors.” (Al-Baqarah: 190)

In one of the battles, a woman was found killed, and this was denounced by the Prophet saying "She did not fight"

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503545840

Mohamed_
10-01-2009, 05:55 PM
It's a poem analysis, but we can call it as an essay aswell.
Here the full story of what happened in the Hungarian (Austrian-Hungarian monarchy), Turkish wars on Hungary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman...3Habsburg_wars

And there was an Hungarian poem writer who wrote a poem of that war, I've to write an essay about that.

But he thought (actually wrote) that God punished the Hungarian nation to be attacked by the Turkish...

When that poem has been wrote then Hungary was one of the strongest chrisitan countries ever.

So I've to write essay about that poem, not the war...
But the teacher given this question to be answered in a homework: 'Why did the God punish the Hungarian nation?'. But it's meant on the poem's way, not the historical.

@amani: Yes, I have to say everything by my words, but I don't want acting like the christians are good or something like that. Perhaps I tell it on the Islam way then someone can't understand or disagree what I say.

@Muslim Woman: Thanks for the help and support, but I've to write about that poem, which is written by that 'poem author'.

The 'poem author' is Miklós Zrinyi, the poem's title is The Hungarian Nation's Crimes.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
10-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Ah man I hate Literature. Good luck! You'll will be needing it! O_O

glo
10-01-2009, 06:44 PM
It sounds to me like you are supposed to analyse the poem in the sense of 'what is the author trying to say'.

I don't think you have to make statements about 'Islam being bad' or 'Christianity being good'. Instead, try to explain why the author might feel that 'God punished the Hungarian nation by allowing Turkish attacks' (I am guessing that's what you mean).
What did Hungarians do that made the author have that opinion?

Poetry is not necessarily about historic truth; it's about how people feel and how they express their feelings.

You can easily write something like 'the author feels ...' or 'the author says ...' without actually agreeing with his views.
Nothing to stop you from ending your essay by expressing your own thoughts, by saying 'as a Muslim I feel that ...' or 'I agree/disagree with the author ...'

I would love to read the poem myself.
Can you post it here?

Good luck with your homework. :)

Hugo
10-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Salam Aleykum, I'm a 16 years old converted muslim student at a high school, I converted to Islam for about 4 months, so not everything is clear for me.

We are studying about Hungarian 'poem authors' (don't know it's good like this). One of them writen about the Turkish wars in Hungary. So the teachers asked some questions about why the God punished the Hungarian nation by got attacked Turkey.

If I really have to do that homework then I've to write christian things and say some 'bad' word about Islam and good things about the chrisitans... Well, I don't really want to do it. I don't believe in what chrisitans believe, and I can't think like a christian anymore, I think like a muslim. And if I write those 'bad' words about Islam, then it's maybe a lie to myself, or no?

I don't even want to write about why being christian is good... Or should I tell to the teacher 'I'm not allowed to do this homework?'.

Or should I tell the relative 'truth' thing (to me)? That's the Islam is the only one truth religion and the Hungarian christians were living with girls who they didn't marry and drunk alcohol? Or what? :hmm::hmm:

By the way, I'm not trying to avoid my literature homework. I just don't wanna write about christians and why it's good to be one...

Please help me!:hmm:
If its a legitimate assignment then as long as it is not intended to be offensive you should do it honestly. My advice would be look carefully at the specification to see what the focus of the work is supposed to be and then begin your research to provide an answer, your answer.

Everyone has a bias so you should not worry about that but simply be aware of your own so that you do not let it unduly influence or bend what you write. One must try to be open minded so you do not fall into the trap in this case of saying everything Christian is bad and everything Muslim is good or vice versa and no one can with certainty say that God was punishing anyone anyway.

It is not a good idea to pick on odd incidents such as your one about 'girls' or force your belief's into the answer. You must I think take the advice offered by glo realising its poetry not factual history so find out what the poem is saying - it does not matter from an academic point of view whether you agree or not with the sentiments offered but it does matter that you understand what is being said. These questions are design to make you think a thing through and that is what you must do.

It is hard to be more precise than this and it would be helpful if you can copy in the actual assignment question or the actual poem.

S_87
10-01-2009, 07:08 PM
It sounds to me like you are supposed to analyse the poem in the sense of 'what is the author trying to say'.
yup it sounds like this.

In this case brother, you dont need to write ur opinion just what the author is thinking from his point of view not yours. in analysing things it doesnt necessarily mean you agree, just writing out what-in this case, he thinks. on:
'Why did the God punish the Hungarian nation?'.

Muhaba
10-01-2009, 07:15 PM
you can study the hungarian and turkish people of that time and see how religious each were. Were the hungarian good religious christians following their religion well? were the turkish good muslims following their religion? If they killed and persecuted the hungarian public then it's obvious they weren't good muslims because Islam doesn't allow the army to enter the city; the army only fights the opposing army in the battle field. Additionally Muslims were required to treat the citizens of a place well after they conquered the place.

If the turkish weren't good muslims, then you can point that out. that they were acting as any unbelieving humans would, just like the mongolians, etc. Their actions shouldn't be attributed to religion Islam.

in your writing you can point out how islam is a peaceful religion that doesn't allow oppression or the killing of civilians, etc.

Mohamed_
10-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Thank you all! :) :) :)

@glo: I just have it in Hungarian language only. But I will try to post it on English or Hungarian, I don't know. It's written in old-Hungarian language, so there are a lot of poems I can't understand...

@Guestfellow: I know the feeling. I wonder who likes it... I don't like reading books...

glo
10-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Well, I can't say that I am knowledgeable in old Hungarian :D - but perhaps translating the poem into English for us here will help you gain a better understanding of it yourself?

Mohamed_
10-02-2009, 11:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Well, I can't say that I am knowledgeable in old Hungarian :D - but perhaps translating the poem into English for us here will help you gain a better understanding of it yourself?
Perhaps. :)

Muslim Woman
10-02-2009, 02:42 PM
:sl:

@Muslim Woman: Thanks for the help and support, but I've to write about that poem, which is written by that 'poem author'.

ok , best of luck bro. Sorry that I can't help much :(

If there is anything anti Islam , u may write like that as already suggested by other participants : this is what the poet thinks but I don't agree with his opinion .

Why war / fight / conflict takes place ? There is an interesting verse in Quran ...just in case u need it to mention in your answer.

..... For had it not been that Allah checks one set of people by means of another, monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques, wherein the Name of Allah is mentioned much would surely have been pulled down. Verily, Allah will help those who help His (Cause). Truly, Allah is All-Strong, All-Mighty.

( سورة الحج , Al-Hajj, Chapter #22, Verse #40)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.