/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A contradiction in the Sahih ahadith of Prophet Muhammad?

Masuma
10-17-2009, 03:21 PM

:bism:

:salaam:

If Muslims are those who don’t abuse, then why Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) himself appointed a professional slanderer for abusing?

Introducing the “supposed contradiction” in the Sahih ahadith:

There is a hadith of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w):

“A true Muslim never abuses anyone.”

But some people say that the above hadith contradicts other ahadith of your Prophet where he employed a professional slanderer named Hassan bin Tabit. Before besieging Banu Qurayza, Muhammad (s.a.w) incited Hassan:

Narrated Al-Bara: The Prophet said to Hassan, "Abuse them (with your poems), and Gabriel is with you (i.e, supports you)." (Through another group of sub narrators) Al-Bara bin Azib said, "On the day of Quraiza's (besiege), Allah's Apostle said to Hassan bin Thabit, 'Abuse them (with your poems), and Gabriel is with you (i.e. supports you).' " [Sahih Bukhari: Book: 59, Hadith: 449]

And Aisha (r.a) testifies:

Narrated 'Aisha: Once Hassan bin Thabit asked the permission of the Prophet to lampoon (i.e. compose satirical poetry defaming) the infidels. The Prophet said, "What about the fact that I have common descent with them?" Hassan replied, "I shall take you out of them as a hair is taken out of dough." Narrated 'Urwa: I started abusing Hassan in front of 'Aisha, whereupon she said. "Don't abuse him, for he used to defend the Prophet (with his poetry)." [Sahih Bukhari: Book: 56, Hadith: 731]

These people say that if your Prophet forbade you to abuse then why he himself appointed professional slanderers for abusing?

So let me tell you how I understand these ahadith.

Answering the silly allegation:

One should realise that the above ahadith were each time said in different circumstances. When there was a peace, Prophet (s.a.w) commanded people to keep peace by not abusing others. But the other ahadith show that a war was going to begin. And so now the circumstances were different. Also know that

The Arabs used to fight war in 3 different phases.
First there would be a “battle of words or poems”.
Second phase would be “individual combats”.
And third phase would be “General fighting”.

So beloved Prophet (s.a.w) appointed Hasan (r.a) so that the Muslims could win first phase of the battle too! Muslims would of course want to win all the phases of battle and so what is wrong in appointing Hasan (r.a)?

There are even many verses of the Quran which first seems to contradict each other but when the reason is given, the answer becomes clear that no verse of Quran contradicts the other verse. For example in one verse Allah says that whoever takes a life of an innocent, it is as if he has killed the whole of humanity.
But in another verse, when the Muslims were about to face a war, Allah commanded Muslims to fight bravely by smiting at the necks of the enemies. Now can someone here stand up and say that the two verses contradict each other? Of course not! Because the circumstances for each verse were different. Same is the case with the above ahadith. First hadith was for peaceful time and the other hadith was when a war was going to take place.

So this is just my logical reasoning. This is how I understand it. But if someone else knows something about it, I would love to know that too. So you are all most welcome:welcome: to post here your logical reasoning or the way you understand the ahadith.

Allahafiz!:muslimah:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
10-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalaam Warahmatullaahi Wabrakatuh,

format_quote Originally Posted by An33za
So this is just my logical reasoning. This is how I understand it. But if someone else knows something about it, I would love to know that too. So you are all most welcome:welcome: to post here your logical reasoning or the way you understand the ahadith.
Dear sister, while your intentions are good, I don't think this method of explaining and reconciling hadeeth is correct. A person should reconcile hadeeth based upon knowledge and understanding, not personal reasoning alone. There are a number of things to consider, such as the authenticity of the hadeeth in question, whether any abrogation has occurred, etc.

Here's a good lecture which touches on this (while mentioning other things regarding importance of the Sunnah):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9UdYNFv9Gs

Thread closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.