/* */

PDA

View Full Version : seeking wisdom

Italianguy
10-28-2009, 04:05 AM
I am looking for a Mosque to visit and witness the worship there. If anyone could help me find one in the Hampton roads area of Virginia, (Hampton, Newport News) i was told not to visit a Black Nationalist Mosque? Is there a big difference between an Orthodox mosque and a non Orthodox mosque? All help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I am a Christian interested in witnessing Muslims in worship, but first hand, not on you tube. Is there any reason why i can't? I would love to interview an Imam, but i am told they are teachers? Is there no priesthood in Islam? And is that okay? Or should i just continue with my questions on this forum? I do not wish to try to convert anyone, I am just doing what i think i should (everyone should) by learning about other faiths.

I also say a video of Adhan ( i think that’s how it's spelled?) It was beautiful!! Heartfelt and emotional

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
10-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Hello,

I moved your thread to the Discover Islam section which is for basic questions about Islam.

There is no reason why you can't witness the worship of Muslims - I am sure they would be happy for you to do that. But as I don't live in your area, I can't recommend any specific Mosques myself.

You are also welcome to interview an Imam. He is usually someone leading the prayer at the mosque and helps to teach and advise people and serve the needs of the community.

I'm glad you liked the Adhan (the spelling was fine, as there are different ways to transliterate the original Arabic). You should also try listening to the Qur'an being recited because it is very much a book to be heard and recited. Muslims have been taught to beautify the Qur'an with their voices and to recite it using a special system of rules that preserve its proper pronunciation. In fact, many people have become Muslims simply by hearing the Qur'an and being deeply moved by the beauty of its words - recognising its truth and divine nature.

We even have a special thread for people to post their favourite recitations, you can browse through and see which you like: http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...ations-43.html

Peace. :)

zakirs
10-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Its totally fine to watch muslims pray :).I guess muslims would be more than happy to help you out.But sadly i live millions of metres away :)

Hamza Asadullah
11-08-2009, 11:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
I am looking for a Mosque to visit and witness the worship there. If anyone could help me find one in the Hampton roads area of Virginia, (Hampton, Newport News) i was told not to visit a Black Nationalist Mosque? Is there a big difference between an Orthodox mosque and a non Orthodox mosque? All help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I am a Christian interested in witnessing Muslims in worship, but first hand, not on you tube. Is there any reason why i can't? I would love to interview an Imam, but i am told they are teachers? Is there no priesthood in Islam? And is that okay? Or should i just continue with my questions on this forum? I do not wish to try to convert anyone, I am just doing what i think i should (everyone should) by learning about other faiths.

I also say a video of Adhan ( i think that’s how it's spelled?) It was beautiful!! Heartfelt and emotional
Hello and welcome to the forum, You are always free to ask whatever you like. Yes there are some unorthodox minor sects in islam as there are in all religions but the majority are sunni's which basically means followers of the Prophet and sunni's are orthodox Muslims who stick to the main sources of Islam which are the Qur'an and sunnah(Actions & sayings of the Prophet).
Every religion will have its minor deviant sects and sects like the "nation of Islam" in America are NOT Muslim at all because they believe there will be that Elijah Muhammed was a prophet. So one has to be careful about these deviant minor sects.

I have found a Masjid near you and these are the details:

Mosque and Islamic Center of Hampton Roads

22 Tide Mill Lane

Hampton, VA 23666 USA

Contact Information:

http://members.cox.net/z_noor/contact.html

There are a few phone numbers that you can ring but I would suggest you call Dr Jamal Badawi as he is brilliant at dialogue with non Muslims and also very knowledgable and would answer ANY questions that you have very well. If he is not available then contact one of the other contacts and ask them to get you in touch with him.

Also if you ask them that you want a tour around the Masjid and want to see prayer ebing done then i'm sure they would be more than happy to do that for you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.