/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic views on Abortion

xsmilesx
10-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Please forgive me if there is a similar post/thread in this forum but i could not find it.

I would appreciate it if you can explain to me what Islam states about abortion and the consequenses (if any) of carrying it out.

Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
10-30-2009, 02:20 AM
According to Indonesian scholars, abortion is allowed only if abortion is the last and only way to save the mother life.

This fatwa is pointing to medical emergency situation.
And if I say "According to Indonesian scholars", because fatwa in other countries maybe different.

zakirs
10-30-2009, 09:25 AM
It is not permissible to abort a pregnancy at any stage unless there is a legitimate reason, and within very precise limits.
The legitimate reason is saving the mother's life .. more info on this here

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/42321

xsmilesx
10-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Thank you.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
10-30-2009, 03:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by xsmilesx
Please forgive me if there is a similar post/thread in this forum but i could not find it.

I would appreciate it if you can explain to me what Islam states about abortion and the consequenses (if any) of carrying it out.

Thank you.
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb

Question: What is the Islamic opinion on the time when abortion is permissible?

Answer: Allah Ta ala says in the Quran: Life is from a decree of my Lord. (Sura 12 verse 85) the above verse is self explanatory on the sanctity and significance of life. Generally every decree is from Allah Taala but the honour of attribution increases its sanctity and demands its highest level of reference. This command is mentioned in many verses of the Quran: Allah Ta ala says: "Whosoever has spared the life of a soul, it is as though he has spared the life of all people. Whosoever has killed a soul, it is as though he has murdered all of mankind." (sura 5 verse 32) The fact that every one soul is equivalent to all of mankind clearly indicates the value of every life.

The above should suffice to express the sanctity of the Rooh (life). It is not permissible under any circumstances to destroy a rooh. The jurists have mentioned the life enters the foetus upon 120 days. From then onwards the foetus is a living human being.

Under no circumstances will it be permissible to abort the child. Allah Taala in his infinite knowledge knows the circumstances, inspite of Him Being Most Merciful, He has endowed the foetus with life. Can our deficient mercy to abort the child be compared to Allah Ta ala s Infinite Mercy to sustain the child. The heights of His Infinite Wisdom cannot be reached or comprehended. The importance of the biggest problem in the circumstances cannot be equivalent to the importance of the Rooh (life). It is too dear to be discarded. Before 120 days too, it is not permissible to abort the child.
However, it may be permissible to abort before 120 days in the following instances:

1) Rape
2) Incest
3) Sexual interference with the mentally retarded
4) Foetal deformity for e.g.. anencephaly (no brain)
5) Foetal deformity for e.g.. congenital rubella health.

And Allah Taãla Knows Best.

Source:http://www.central-mosque.com/fiqh/Abortion.htm

More on abortion in Islam:http://www.irfi.org/articles/article...0/abortion.htm

ardianto
10-30-2009, 03:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81

However, it may be permissible to abort before 120 days in the following instances:

1) Rape
2) Incest
3) Sexual interference with the mentally retarded
4) Foetal deformity for e.g.. anencephaly (no brain)
5) Foetal deformity for e.g.. congenital rubella health.
Are you not sure ?.

cat eyes
10-30-2009, 04:17 PM
every single scholar differs that is the problem for any young lady considering it. i personally believe if a woman was forced to have unprotected sex from her husband in other words being raped and becomes pregnant i believe she should have that right to decide whether she is ready for a child being in that position an all from my own self i would not abort because i fear Allah more and once you feel that little heart beat inside of you many women will think differently about this whole abortion thing

Hamza Asadullah
10-30-2009, 05:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
every single scholar differs that is the problem for any young lady considering it. i personally believe if a woman was forced to have unprotected sex from her husband in other words being raped and becomes pregnant i believe she should have that right to decide whether she is ready for a child being in that position an all from my own self i would not abort because i fear Allah more and once you feel that little heart beat inside of you many women will think differently about this whole abortion thing
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, I would'nt go as far as to say "every single" scholar differs. You either have one opinion or another. Scholars don't differ on the fundamentals which are made clear in the Qur'an and sunnah but they may differ on other issues which may not be so clearly stated, but they use Qur'an and sunnah and knowledge from the salaf (pious predecessors) and other scholars from the past1500 years to state their views on a particular topic or issue.

That is why it is best to follow on madhab (either hanafi,shafi'i,maliki or hanbali) because that way we will not fall into confusion and disarray from differing opinions of the 4 imams.

Each opinion of the 4 imams are correct as they approach an issue in the same way but a different direction and the majority of scholars from the past 1500 years agree that the 4 imams are correct in their views.

You point about rape by husband is not the same as rape from an unknown stranger. Most scholars do agree that abortion from rape is permissable however it is commendable if she kept it but one does not know how it feels in that situation until one is actually in that situation so it is easy to say what one would do but if it actually happens to a person they may act differently.

One should try not to make ones own fatwas from ones own opinions as it is easy to fall into this trap of using ones emotions to come up with an opinion but we need the guidance from scholars as is advised to us by Allah in the Qur'an aswell as Rasulallah (Pbuh). Shaythan loves to point this diffeence of opinion out so that we may fall into disarray with our deen. That is why it is best we follow one madhab and also follow a particular reliable scholar/s and have contact with a local reliable scholar/s so that we may discuss any queries or questions we may have with them.

For more on rape and abortion click on these links:

http://www.islamawareness.net/Family..._fatwa003.html

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/13317

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=15659&CATE=10

Maryan0
10-30-2009, 05:30 PM
very interesting topic, I did not know abortion was permissable under any circumstance even though i've heard of the whole 120 days being mentioned in the quran.
salaam

Mujahideen92
10-30-2009, 07:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Are you not sure ?.
He is correct, except rape. The thinking behind this is why does the baby have to be killed, it was the rapist who did the crime not the baby

cat eyes
10-30-2009, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, I would'nt go as far as to say "every single" scholar differs. You either have one opinion or another. Scholars don't differ on the fundamentals which are made clear in the Qur'an and sunnah but they may differ on other issues which may not be so clearly stated, but they use Qur'an and sunnah and knowledge from the salaf (pious predecessors) and other scholars from the past1500 years to state their views on a particular topic or issue.

That is why it is best to follow on madhab (either hanafi,shafi'i,maliki or hanbali) because that way we will not fall into confusion and disarray from differing opinions of the 4 imams.

Each opinion of the 4 imams are correct as they approach an issue in the same way but a different direction and the majority of scholars from the past 1500 years agree that the 4 imams are correct in their views.

You point about rape by husband is not the same as rape from an unknown stranger. Most scholars do agree that abortion from rape is permissable however it is commendable if she kept it but one does not know how it feels in that situation until one is actually in that situation so it is easy to say what one would do but if it actually happens to a person they may act differently.

One should try not to make ones own fatwas from ones own opinions as it is easy to fall into this trap of using ones emotions to come up with an opinion but we need the guidance from scholars as is advised to us by Allah in the Qur'an aswell as Rasulallah (Pbuh). Shaythan loves to point this diffeence of opinion out so that we may fall into disarray with our deen. That is why it is best we follow one madhab and also follow a particular reliable scholar/s and have contact with a local reliable scholar/s so that we may discuss any queries or questions we may have with them.

For more on rape and abortion click on these links:

http://www.islamawareness.net/Family..._fatwa003.html

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/13317

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=15659&CATE=10
brother i was not giving a fatwa. that is far from a fatwa i am simply giving my own opinion. a woman can and will be raped by a abusive husband if he is refused sex it can and dose happen by many abusive men they cannot not divorce there husband because there family simply will not allow them. and i am talking about the online web that you will find many different scholars of many different sects and what is a girl mean't to do? because for all a person knows she could be reading up about sufi or shia beliefs and leads people to be confused. there is so many different sects and i would personally not go looking for an answer online. i do follow hanafi myself but she should not go studying about it online but from books instead. there is alot of corrupted stuff on the web ive seen it.

Hamza Asadullah
10-30-2009, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
brother i was not giving a fatwa. that is far from a fatwa i am simply giving my own opinion. a woman can and will be raped by a abusive husband if he is refused sex it can and dose happen by many abusive men they cannot not divorce there husband because there family simply will not allow them. and i am talking about the online web that you will find many different scholars of many different sects and what is a girl mean't to do? because for all a person knows she could be reading up about sufi or shia beliefs and leads people to be confused. there is so many different sects and i would personally not go looking for an answer online. i do follow hanafi myself but she should not go studying about it online but from books instead. there is alot of corrupted stuff on the web ive seen it.
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, i definatley agree my sister that one should be very careful about getting information on a particular subject on the web. It is best to stick to reliable scholars for ones own madhab.
For those who follow madhab like hanafi, shafi'i etc then i would recommend ask imam, sunnipath, they are pretty good. But there are a lot of websites that mask themselves as being Muslim but are in fact are one of the deviant sects of Islam.
Best to stick to a reliable scholar from ones own locality that one can ask any questions and queries to.
May Allah save us from being led astray. Ameen

xsmilesx
10-31-2009, 07:42 PM
What if the couple are unlawful in islamic terms?

As in, sex before marriage?

ardianto
11-01-2009, 03:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by xsmilesx
What if the couple are unlawful in islamic terms?

As in, sex before marriage?
...and the girls got pregnant ?.

That is not a reason for abortion. Abortion is same as killing. In this case parent are committing sin but the baby is not guilty.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.