/* */

PDA

View Full Version : how to move files from C drive to D E or F ?

Muslim Woman
11-03-2009, 03:31 PM
:sl:

I am getting notice of low disk space. C drive has 1% free space but there are more than 90% spaces E F G sections.

To get some free space , I deleted Intel graphic controller , now I can't open any MS word file :cry:

and I am still getting that notice :heated:

Pl. let me know how to open files in MS and how I can move some files from C drive to D E or F . I don't want to delete anything else imsad

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
czgibson
11-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Pl. let me know how to open files in MS and how I can move some files from C drive to D E or F . I don't want to delete anything else imsad
There are a couple of ways to do this. Here's one:

1. Choose a file you want to move (this will also work for a group of files).

2. Right click on it and select 'Copy'

3. Open up the drive you want to move it to, so you can see the folders and files it contains.

4. Find a bit of empty space amongst the folders and files, right click and select 'Paste'

5. Your files will then copy across from one drive to the other.

6. You'll now have two copies of each file, so delete the originals from drive C, and you're done.

You can just use Cut and Paste, which takes out the final step, but if you're worried about deleting something by accident it's best to do it the way I've suggested.

Hope that helps.

Peace

Muslim Woman
11-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Salaam/Peace.

thanks a lot :statisfie

any idea how to recover the lost programme ?

Muslim Woman
11-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Salaam/Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Hope that helps.

yes , now C drive has 7 % free space . Hope I won't get any more notice. Thanks again.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
czgibson
11-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Greetings,
Salaam/Peace.

thanks a lot :statisfie

any idea how to recover the lost programme ?
I'm glad that helped.

I've been thinking about how to recover the program you deleted, and it's quite hard to give advice as I don't know exactly what you had.

This page has a load of Intel drivers and other bits and pieces available for download. If you know what you're looking for, it's easy enough to get hold of. If you don't, it's more difficult.

Have you checked your recycle bin? It's possible the old program is still there, in which case, right click on it and select Restore.

Other than that, I'm pretty much out of ideas. Anyone else able to help? I know there are loads of people here who know more about this sort of thing than I do.

Peace

Muslim Woman
11-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Salaam/Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson

This page has a load of Intel drivers

InshaAllah I will check . I was wondering about System Restore option that I can see when click on Start . Any easy tips how to use it ?

OurIslamic
11-15-2009, 06:21 AM
Don't use System Restore! You'll lose all the work that you had done after the date of the restore.

Muslim Woman
03-01-2010, 06:30 AM

again I am receiving low space warning . If I delete Miscrosoft Office XP professional with front page , then will I be able to compose mail ?

Muslim Woman
03-01-2010, 11:57 AM

.. . If I delete Miscrosoft Office XP professional with front page , then will I be able to compose mail ?

any suggestion ??

Cabdullahi
03-01-2010, 11:59 AM
how big are the other partitions E,F....etc

Muslim Woman
03-01-2010, 12:05 PM

C drive = 9.57 GB ( 0 % free space :( )

D drive 9.56 GB ( free space 90 % )

E drive has 9.56 GB ( free space 59 % )

F = 3.97 GB ( free space 41 % )

Life_Is_Short
03-01-2010, 12:21 PM
I suggest the following:
1. A disk clean up and also delete all the unnecessary softwares by going to "Add or Remove Programs".
2. You can try merging partitions D, E and F with C. This will extend system partition, give you better disk space management, settle low disk space problems. You'll need to download this freeware. However this should be your last resort. When all else fails!

Hope this helps/ insh'Allah

Cabdullahi
03-01-2010, 12:24 PM
delete some unwanted software using add or remove programs in the control panels.............look for software that are big on size...after doing this you should get some space on drive 'C' in future when installing programs install it in the other empty drives like D,E and F.

REMEMBER dont delete important programs for example Intel graphic controller or other driver software they are there to make your PC work!

Muslim Woman
03-01-2010, 12:25 PM

what about delete this one : Miscrosoft Office XP professional with front page ?

Cabdullahi
03-01-2010, 12:29 PM

what about delete this one : Miscrosoft Office XP professional with front page ?
do you use microsoft word?? if you use it or any other family members use it dont delete it.....its essential

Muslim Woman
03-01-2010, 12:30 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
I suggest the following:
1. A disk clean up

I just did ; still it's 0 % free space imsad

any easy way to move all folders of C drive to other drives ? I have 3 big folders and it says these are prog files , cant' move etc.

Cabdullahi
03-01-2010, 12:32 PM

I just did ; still it's 0 % free space imsad

any easy way to move all folders of C drive to other drives ? I have 3 big folders and it says these are prog files , cant' move etc.
if you move some folders from C to E,F and so on some programs might not work because the directory has changed.....the best thing you can do is go to control panel and add and delete programs....list for us all the programs running on your machine...post it here!

Danah
03-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Have you tried to do a disk Defragment before you did the cleanup?

Muslim Woman
03-01-2010, 12:50 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
Have you tried to do a disk Defragment before you did the cleanup?

I tried . it says there is a corrupted file in C drive . so can't do it :raging:

Life_Is_Short
03-01-2010, 12:57 PM

I tried . it says there is a corrupted file in C drive . so can't do it :raging:
Oh dear! :><:

Dagless
03-01-2010, 03:56 PM

Start, then Run.
Type "cmd" and press enter.
A black box will come up.
Type "chkdsk /F" and if it says 'drive is in use and would you like to check after reboot' type Y.
Then reboot.

This won't help your space problem, but it'll fix that corrupted file.

Which are the 3 big folders you have? Also delete all your temp files, (depends on which version of windows you're using but usually you go to start, then run, then type "%temp%"). Once you hit enter another box comes up and you can delete all the files in that box.

Muslim Woman
03-01-2010, 03:59 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
Oh dear! :><:

Thank u all for ur concern and advices. I had 2 different typing programmes- deleted 1 and got some free space :D

InshaAllah will try for defragmement after dinner.

Thank u all again :statisfie

Raaina
03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
You need to start saving your work to the other drives and not C drive.

Did you partition your hard drive?

Muslim Woman
03-01-2010, 04:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
Did you partition your hard drive?
never did it by myself. Now C drive has 4 % free space , looks like I don't have to di it anymore ?

Raaina
03-01-2010, 04:13 PM

never did it by myself. Now C drive has 4 % free space , looks like I don't have to di it anymore ?
I'd still start using your other drives. What I do on mine is:

Have a partition for windows
A partition for programs
and a partition for my work

:)

Life_Is_Short
03-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Hope your comp gets well soon. :)

AabiruSabeel
03-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Now C drive has 4 % free space , looks like I don't have to di it anymore ?
No, 4% free space is very less for optimum performance. You will get low disk space message again.

I would recommend cleaning all the temp files, as bro Dagless mentioned:
Start, then Run.
A black box will come up.
Type "chkdsk /F" and if it says 'drive is in use and would you like to check after reboot' type Y.
Then reboot.

This won't help your space problem, but it'll fix that corrupted file.

Which are the 3 big folders you have? Also delete all your temp files, (depends on which version of windows you're using but usually you go to start, then run, then type "%temp%"). Once you hit enter another box comes up and you can delete all the files in that box.
Check your "My Documents" folder. If the size is very big, and if you use it to store your documents then try moving it to the D drive. Do not move this folder by drag and drop method. Use the following procedure:
Right click on My Documents -> click on Properties.
Under the Target tab, click on Move. It will ask you to select a destination.
Expand My Computer and then D drive by clicking on the + sign next to it.
Click on D drive and create a New Folder under it. You can name it as My Documents or whatever you want.
No click ok. InshaAllah all your documents will now be saved in this folder.

Muslim Woman
03-02-2010, 04:37 AM

I followed several adviced given here and not getting low space warning anymore :D

C drive has now 414 MG . it needs minimum 200 MG . So , thanks a lot to my sisters and brothers who wanted to help .

islamirama
03-02-2010, 04:56 AM
Some good housekeeping advice:

You should have at least 20GB (still pushing it) space on C drive to install your system and programs.

A good idea would be to merge F and C drives and merge all the rest as secondary drive. Personally i'd get a bigger hard drive.

It seems you already have a 30GB hard drive to work with, how old is that pc?

Download CCleaner from www.download.com, it's a good program to delete all temp files and stuff of your pc. Also do Disk clean up (right click C drive, properties, Disk cleanup) to free up space.

You can also install small softwares like Sumtra instead of Adobe to read your pdf files.

Muslim Woman
03-03-2010, 01:42 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Some good housekeeping advice:

thanks a lot

A good idea would be to merge F and C drives and merge all the rest as secondary drive.
Don't have courage to do that , never did it . Is that easy ? If i can't do that successfully , computer will still run ?

how old is that pc?
5 yrs old ( minimum )

Download CCleaner from www.download.com,

what about clean the drive manually ?

Tilmeez
03-03-2010, 01:47 PM
I can't resist saying: Try removing MS Windows :p

Now, while not joking, try formating C: and reinstalling windows. This will help you alot. You can move your documents etc to other drives before you format C. You will have to reinstall other applictions such as MS office etc.

There is another thing if you can do with formating C, disable and remove restore points your system has created. This will give you a good free space. I don't find this feature very useful as most of the viruses attack it and leave no point for restoring the system to an early date. :hmm:

Muslim Woman
03-03-2010, 02:43 PM

I wish I could understand all the advices and could follow those ? Got the warning again , C drive has 2 % space only :raging:

Muslim Woman
03-03-2010, 02:46 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Start, then Run.

... but it'll fix that corrupted file.

I did that but corrupted file is still there :nervous:

Danah
03-03-2010, 02:58 PM

I wish I could understand all the advices and could follow those ? Got the warning again , C drive has 2 % space only :raging:
Now I am suspecting that you may have a virus that consume the space...what anti-virus you use sis?

Muslim Woman
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
Now I am suspecting that you may have a virus that consume the space...what anti-virus you use sis?

Kaspersky Internet Security 2009

Dagless
03-03-2010, 05:16 PM
As Tilmeez said, have you considered backing up your important documents etc. and then formatting and reinstalling windows?

Muslim Woman
03-03-2010, 05:21 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
As Tilmeez said, have you considered backing up your important documents etc. and then formatting and reinstalling windows?

I read an advice in an article - as long as ur machine runs , don't try to fix it .

So , may be it's better if I try not to format / reinstall window. Chances are high that my computer will die :omg:

islamirama
03-03-2010, 11:23 PM

Don't have courage to do that , never did it . Is that easy ? If i can't do that successfully , computer will still run ?
:wa:

one way to do it is by reformatting the whole HD and reinstalling the system. This is a long process, clean process and would require you to back up your data first.

Another way is that there are programs available out there that will merge your drive partitions like that but I never used any so can't say how it will go.

what about clean the drive manually ?
If you haven't cleaned it in ages than go for it, best way to do it is this. Disconnect it from the power, open up the pc panel so you can see inside it and get a compressed air duster, use that to blow out the dust and stuff from the pc, no need to take out the HD or any other components. This will solve any slow pc or over heating issues you may have. The low space issue will still exist and you can't clean that by manual cleaning the drive. Go to www.download.com and search for ccleaner and install that and run it.

Dagless
03-04-2010, 12:50 AM

I read an advice in an article - as long as ur machine runs , don't try to fix it .

So , may be it's better if I try not to format / reinstall window. Chances are high that my computer will die :omg:
I thought it was dying of low space already :p If you don't want to format then uninstall more programs. Make a list of all the programs you actually use (microsoft office, etc.), and delete all those you don't use (go to add/remove programs in control panel). No point leaving programs installed if you don't use them.

If you haven't cleaned it in ages than go for it, best way to do it is this. Disconnect it from the power, open up the pc panel so you can see inside it and get a compressed air duster, use that to blow out the dust and stuff from the pc, no need to take out the HD or any other components. This will solve any slow pc or over heating issues you may have. The low space issue will still exist and you can't clean that by manual cleaning the drive. Go to www.download.com and search for ccleaner and install that and run it.
No need to do this.... unless you have so much dirt inside your pc that its somehow stopping the fans from turning. Your problem is not overheating.

waji
03-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Download CCleaner from www.download.com, it's a good program to delete all temp files and stuff of your pc. Also do Disk clean up (right click C drive, properties, Disk cleanup) to free up space.
You can also install small softwares like Sumtra instead of Adobe to read your pdf files.
^^ Best advice download CCleaner
and clean your temporary internet files, cookies and history

Secondly if you have other drives like D, F, G... etc
you can install some programs in those Drives

zakirs
03-04-2010, 07:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by waji
^^ Best advice download CCleaner
and clean your temporary internet files, cookies and history

Secondly if you have other drives like D, F, G... etc
you can install some programs in those Drives
I also second Ccleaner

Danah
03-06-2010, 05:11 AM

Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
aww...what a strong answer!!:shade:

How is it now? got the low space warning again?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.