/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prothrombin Time and INR

Mr.President
11-05-2009, 01:25 PM
What is Prothrombin Time or INR ? please any medical student explain in simple terms ?

what happens if INR ratio increased or decreased ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Raudha
11-05-2009, 02:24 PM
:ooh: I just learnt about this today :X

*Awaits response*

Mr.President
11-05-2009, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Raudha
:ooh: I just learnt about this today :X

*Awaits response*
jazaakalllah one of my relative is suffering from some sickness still doctors haven't found the exact disease !!!:hmm :imsad

it is stated in the report

Prothrombin time = 46.2 secs
MEAN normal Prothrombin time = 12 secs
INR = 4.23

Raudha
11-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I hope this is of some benefit to you. I will try and get more information for you as soon as possible.

Prothrombin Time: the time required for clotting after thromboplastin and calcium are added in optimal amounts to blood of normal fibrinogen content. If prothrombin is diminished, the clotting time increases. Prothrombin time is used to measure the integrity of the extrinsic and common pathway of coagulation.

INR: International Normalised Ratio - The prothrombin time ratio that would have been obtained if a standard reagent had been used in a prothrombin time determination.

May Allah grant you relative complete shifaa. Ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
11-09-2009, 03:53 AM
^^ good..

there are a number of reasons to use above tests..
as you may already know that there is an intrinsic and extrinsic blood coagulation pathway.. in a simple diagram:

This is a delicate system meant to insure a constant balance of blood clotting and dissolution.. for your purposes all you need to know to differentiate between the two is that one is activated through injury (extrinsically) from the outside, while the other is formed due to a response to an abnormality in the vasculature..

now there are alot of steps and many many factors that play part in this, and many medications that work on different pathways, whether it is Glycoprotein IIb/IIIa working on the receptor found on the surface of the platelet or warfarin which works on factors 2, 7, 9 and 10 from the above pathway and by the way is used in rat poisoning though I digress.. now for various medical conditions a person needs to go on one form of medication as the above in one form or the other, they must check their labs often for when you exceed the limits and the limits in an of themselves vary per condition for instance someone who has had a valve replacement doesn't need to be kept on the same values as someone who has had a hip replacement (so don't be alarmed if the limits seem to far exceed the recommended value) but so that one will either run the risk of forming a clot or bleeding to death and that is really the distillate of a very complex delicate system.. but that is really it in a nutshell keeping within certain values to avoid either of those risks..

I hope insha'Allah that was of help to you?
and may Allah swt grant all Muslims shifaa, both in the mind and body..

:wa:

Iris
11-13-2009, 09:22 PM
^That's right.

In certain diseases like for example atrial fibrillation, the INR will need to be kept above the normal limit and Prothrombin time increased in order to descrease the clotting ability of the blood. This is usually achieved with medications like warfarin.

Prothrombin time also is increased when the liver cells are suffering from injury in one way or another, as the amount of clotting factors that are made in the liver are decreased.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.