/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A question about times of prayer

maxoverton
11-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Hello, I am a new member and non-Muslim, but I am researching your very interesting religion. I know that you pray at regular times - pre-dawn, noon, late afternoon, sunset and evening before retiring - but when I read some accounts of Hajj, it said that in the old days the caravans would sometimes travel at night and sleep during the day to escape the heat.

What I wondered was... are the prayer times the same during a reversal of day/night, or are they adjusted to meet the new circumstances? I imagine the same might apply for someone on shift work. If you came home after working all night, do you say Fajr at dawn as normal or do you consider that to be Maghrib because it is at the end of your day? You say 'Isha just before retiring - but if you go to bed at 9am, do you still say 'Isha? What about noon prayers? Are you expected to interrupt your sleep for these prayers? Yes, I know prayer is better than sleep, but is it a choice or mandatory?

I seriously want to know. I write novels and I have a Muslim in one of them, travelling at night. I want to know what he does because I do not want to misrepresent him or his religion. Can anybody help me please?

Cheers,
Max

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
newBro
11-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Hi,
I hope that you learn more from Islam than only to protray a correct character.

As for prayer timings, they are based on the position and light of the sun, and are fixed. Praying at the correct times is compulsory, not optional. After describing how to pray during a war (yes, prayer is compulsory at "all" times, even if you are in war or paralysed or anything), Allah tells us in the Quran:

4:103 When you have performed the prayer, remember Allah, standing, sitting and reclining. And when you are in safety, observe proper worship. Worship at fixed times has been enjoined on the believers.

As for travelling during the night and sleeping during the day, I think it would be not during Hajj, but that was the usual routine of Arabs of that time. For example, during the migration to Madinah, the Messenger of Allah(s.a.w.) started travel during the afternoon so that his enemies would not be expecting.

Hope you read the Quran and ponder over it so that you might learn Islam from the main source

OurIslamic
11-15-2009, 06:38 AM
It depends on the region and the time of year on the prayer times.

OurIslamic
11-15-2009, 06:38 AM
The timings aren't a specific time, but according to the sun.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
11-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Salaam/Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by maxoverton
caravans would sometimes travel at night and sleep during the day to escape the heat.
It takes only few minutes to offer salat. I am sure , people did not sleep through out the whole day - they offered salat in time :statisfie

Also while in a journey , Muslims must shorten their salat.

I know prayer is better than sleep, but is it a choice or mandatory?
Mandatory.

Prayer Times for Makkah

Fajr 5:11 AM

Sunrise 6:31 AM

Dhuhr 12:06 PM

Asr 3:17 PM

Maghrib 5:40 PM

Isha 7:10 PM

http://www.guidedways.com/prayertime...tude-39.83.htm

I write novels and I have a Muslim in one of them, travelling at night. I want to know what he does because I do not want to misrepresent him or his religion.
It's really good to know that U dont want to misrepresent a Muslim and his religion in ur novel. What's his name , what he is doing in ur novel except traveling ?

Few info on Salat

Requirements of Salaat
  1. Cleanliness and Purity

The Qur’an states: “O Believers, when you rise to offer Salat, you must wash your faces and hands and arms up to the elbows and wipe your heads with wet hands and wash your feet up to the ankles; and if you have become unclean, cleanse yourselves with a full bath”. (Surah 5: V 6)
  2. Punctuality

The Qur’an states: “Indeed Salat is a prescribed duty that has to be performed at the appointed times by the Believers.” (Surah 4: V103)
  3. Regularity

The Qur’an states about the true Believers are those: “who are regular in their Prayers”. (70: 23)

1. The Time of Fajr Prayer

Approximately 11/2 hours before sunrise a dim whitish glow appears vertically in the eastern horizon. This is the break of dawn. The time for Fajr Salat lasts until sunrise.

2. The Time for Dhuhr Salaat

The time for Dhuhr Salat begins immediately after Zawaal or mid-day. The time of mid-day or Zawaal is calculated by dividing the hours of daylight by two, and adding the result to the time of sunrise.

3. The Time for Asr Salaat

Asr time begins immediately upon the expiry of Dhuhr time, and lasts until sunset. However, it is Makrooh (reprehensible) to delay the performance of Asr Salat until the sun’s ray become yellowish and dim as is the case before sunset.

4. The Time for Maghrib Salaat

Immediately after sunset the time for Maghrib Salat commences, and it lasts until the disappearance of the twilight. It is better to offer it as soon as the time for Maghrib Salat has started.

5. The Time for Isha Salaat

The time for Isha Salat begins immediately after expiry of the time of Maghrib, i.e. immediately after the white glow of twilight disappears. Isha time lasts until Fajr Awwal or Subh sadiq (True Dawn). The moment Fajr Awwal enters, Isha time expires.

6. The Time for Witr Salaat

This Witr Prayer may be offered immediately after the Isha Prayer; but those people who have formed the habit of rising during the later part of the night may pray Witr any time before dawn.

http://www.islamchannel.tv/Prayer.aspx

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.