/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Length of man's pants????

bewildred
11-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Salam to all,

I wish so bad tht you could enlighten me. Well, my husband is a very good-hearted man. I have learnt so much from him. He never delays or misses a prayer whatever circumstance he faces. He gives sadaqah even when we're short of money. Mashallah, I have nothing to criticize him about religion-wise. Except one thing.

I have read that men in Islam should wear pants whose length should never exceed the ankles' level. I learnt that those who wear 'long' pants will go to hell. So, I'm so very frightened for him for he wears the usual length pants. He's such a good man. So please tell me, Is what I read about is correct? I was told only salafis do that. As long as I don't really know who the salafis are, I dunno......:hmm:

S.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
11-14-2009, 02:56 PM
:sl:

Isbaal means making the clothes so long that they come beneath the ankle. The prohibition on isbaal is mentioned in the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whatever part of the lower garment comes beneath the ankles is in the Fire.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5787. This warning does not apply to something that is makrooh or permissible, rather the warning of Hellfire usually comes to the one who does a haraam action.

If a man says, “I am not doing it to show off,” he is praising himself and that is not acceptable. The hadeeth is general in meaning and includes everyone who lets his garment hang down, whether that is out of pride or otherwise.

With regard to the one who lets his garment hang down out of pride, his punishment will be more severe. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Isbaal may apply to the izaar (lower garment), shirt and turban. Whoever lets any of them hang down out of pride, Allaah will not look at him on the Day of Resurrection.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4085; al-Nasaa’i, 5334; with a saheeh isnaad.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/34365

You should note that making the clothes above the ankle is obligatory, it is not only Sunnah. The Sunnah is to make the izaar (lower garment) come to mid-calf, and this Sunnah is optional. If a person wishes, he may do it, and if he wishes, he may not do it. Sunnah, according to the definition of the scholars, is “That for which the one who does it will be rewarded and the one who does not do it will not be punished.”

Note that what is to be worn at mid-calf length is the izaar (lower garment). The thobe (galabiyah) is not to be worn in this manner; rather the Sunnah in the case of the thobe is to wear it below mid-calf and above the ankles. The same applies to pants, which should be worn above the ankle because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The ankles have no right to the izaar.” (Narrated by al-Nasaa’i in Kitaab al-Zeenah, no. 3529; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Nasaa’i, no. 4922)

And Allaah knows best.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/10534/

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.