/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Leather Wallets, Shoes, Belts

meer5sd
11-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Assalamwalekum,

Is it haram for a muslim to wear/use items made of leather????

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
meer5sd
11-16-2009, 06:36 PM
please somebody clear the doubt

S_87
11-16-2009, 06:51 PM
not normal leather no-that is fine but leather/suede from a pig source is impure

Woodrow
11-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Here logic can be used. What do you think Muhammad's(PBUH) sandals were made of?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
11-16-2009, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by karim5sd
Assalamwalekum,

Is it haram for a muslim to wear/use items made of leather????
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

The basic ruling with regards to leather is that, with the exception of pig-skin, the skin of all other animals is considered to be pure (tahir) when it goes through the process of tanning, even if the animal is unlawful to consume (such as a lion), or the animal was not slaughtered according to the rules of Shariah. Pig, however, is considered to be completely filthy; hence its skin remains impure (najis) even after tanning.

Imam al-Quduri (Allah have mercy on him) states:

"Any skin which has been tanned has become clean, hence prayer is valid on it, and wudu from it - except the skin of a pig and human (m: human skin due to its honour)." (al-Lubab fi sharh al-Kitab, 1/47)

Therefore, it will be permitted for one to wear jackets, coats, shoes, use sofas and keep a wallet made from the skin of all animals except a pig. It will not be permitted to wear shoes or clothing from pigskin, and prayer in such items would be invalid.

Thus, it will be permitted to purchase leather products, as long as you avoid leather made from pigskin.

And Allah knows best

Mufti Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari
Darul Iftaa, Leicester, UK

Soulja Girl
11-16-2009, 06:55 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Here logic can be used. What do you think Muhammad's(PBUH) sandals were made of?
^Leather? =P

:wa:

cat eyes
11-16-2009, 07:08 PM
brother hamza how do you find out whether its from the actual pig skin or not..? i love leather and recently bought a leather bag. anytime my uncle comes from u.k he brings me back leather items also. like most things are made from leather you will find and shoes are especially so how do you find out because the people in the shops are not mad to tell muslims its from pig skin because then they know you wont buy it. jazakAllah

S_87
11-16-2009, 07:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
brother hamza how do you find out whether its from the actual pig skin or not..? i love leather and recently bought a leather bag. anytime my uncle comes from u.k he brings me back leather items also. like most things are made from leather you will find and shoes are especially so how do you find out because the people in the shops are not mad to tell muslims its from pig skin because then they know you wont buy it. jazakAllah
if you dont mind me answering, generally if you phone or email the company they tell you straight up if its from pig skin or not.

check out this site, inshaAllah it can help you:

http://www.gmwa.org.uk/foodguide2/in...uestion&id=151

cat eyes
11-16-2009, 07:27 PM

Thank you sister:) silly me i should have thought of that :embarrass
:wa:

meer5sd
11-16-2009, 07:27 PM
thanks to all for responding and clearing the doubt,

Allahafiz

Hamza Asadullah
11-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb,

Well sister Pigskin is often used for garments and the lining of shoes etc as it is generally softer than other leathers.

It can be finished in the same way as any other leather so can have a smooth coating as well as a nubuck or sueded texture.

It can be used for furniture as well as other items and this thread actually remineded me because we have also just bought a leather sofa which will arive in a few weeks and i'm going to ring the company up and ask them what type of leather it is.

It is very difficult to tell pigskin from other leather simply by looking at it. The formation of the hair follicles when examined with a microscope will tell you whether it is pigskin or cow hide or any other sort of leather.

The hair follicles in pigskin go vertically right through the skin as opposed to cow hide where the hair follicles are at an angle.

The best thing to do is ask the shop manager or salesperson and don't just take their word for it but ask them for proof in a manual or document because they may not want to lose the sale.

Also don't say anything about why your asking just ask them "What type of leather is it?"

If they don't know then ring or e mail the manufacturer as they will obviously know and ask them "I was just enquiring what type of leather this product is"?

With a little bit of research one can easily find out without a problem inshallah. That also reminds me ive got to get one of my leather jackets checked.

meer5sd
11-16-2009, 07:32 PM
thanks to all for responding and clearing the doubt,

Allahafiz

Woodrow
11-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Around here it is usually easy to tell as pigskin is much more costly than other leathers and it is with much commercial pride that an article is labeled "Genuine Pig Skin" Most pigskin in the USA gets made into Chiccarones, Cracklings, etc or rendered into gelatin. No big fear of accidently getting a leather object made from pig skin.

Here in the USA nearly all leather products are labelled as to the source.

cat eyes
11-16-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks brother hamza we both better get ringing and emailing then;D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.