Salams,

Wonder if it is possible here?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
11-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi Sameera

As well as this forum, you could also try this site:
http://www.byki.com/category/Urdu/a

It gives you audio guidelines on how words are pronounced.

Sameera
11-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Assalamualaikum,

Jazak Allahkhair for this. I really would like to learn from beginners to advanced :D

Including Arabic!

Fטлку
11-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Hey Sameera! :D
You can try this site: UrduWord.
You'll be able to learn urdu in this section too..just join in the english to urdu and urdu game threads..it will help if you know a lil arabic tho :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fטлку
11-16-2009, 05:30 PM
These are the links to the threads :D:
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
As well as this forum, you could also try this site:
http://www.byki.com/category/Urdu/a

It gives you audio guidelines on how words are pronounced.
OMG! That thing scared the heck outta me :skeleton: I guess I should have taken off my headphones before clicking on the lesson :embarrass

glo
11-16-2009, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sameera
Assalamualaikum,

Jazak Allahkhair for this. I really would like to learn from beginners to advanced :D

Including Arabic!
Actually, I might have a quick crash course on the basics in Urdu myself - so I am able to meet and greet the Pakistani Muslims, when they visit our church on Wednesday evening.

Do you think two days will be enough to memorise just a few things?
Which phrases would be the most useful?

glo
11-16-2009, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fטлку
These are the links to the threads :D:

OMG! That thing scared the heck outta me :skeleton: I guess I should have taken off my headphones before clicking on the lesson :embarrass
haha!
Always check your volume first!! :D

Sameera
11-16-2009, 05:54 PM
^
It's taking me ten years to get started, if you can learn it in two days that's wonderful, just let me know your secret :D

Best Wishes

Fטлку
11-16-2009, 05:55 PM

Which phrases would be the most useful?
I don't think so..unless you're a very fast learner.. :D

What's your name- aap ka kya naam hai?
My name is Glo :p- Mera naam Glo hai.
Welcome- khush amdeed
How are you- Aap kaise(k-say) hain?
Goodbye- khuda hafiz
Farewell-Alvida.
Do you like it here- kya aap ko yahaan(یہاںdon't pronounce 'N') acha (Ach-cha) lagta hai?
Sorry- maaf ke jeeye ga.
What is this- ye kya hai?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Get them proofread by someone before saying them *just in case* :p

haha!
Always check your volume first!! :D
It nearly gave me a heart attack..I'm so jumpy nowadays....I feel like there's an earthquake at the slightest sounds.. since friday imsad

glo
11-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Those are great, Funky!
I will print them off and practice. Definitely enough to simply meet and greet people in their own language ...
Do I simply pronounce it how you have written it?

Would it be also alright to say Aslama alaikum?
And what exactly does it mean?

Rafeeq
11-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Glo, Asalam U Alikum means Peace to be upon you

glo
11-16-2009, 06:13 PM
^

It's taking me ten years to get started, if you can learn it in two days that's wonderful, just let me know your secret :D

Best Wishes
For my purpose it is not so much about learning the whole language (at least not at this stage), but simply memorising a few simple phrases to say.

That reminds me, during Ramadan I tried wishing Muslims in our town 'Ramadan Mubarak'. When I said it to two elderly men, one of them was nearly moved to tears.
Now, every time I meet him, he says 'You speak Punjabi!!' ... and I try to tell him that Ramadan Mubarak and Eid Mubarak are really the only things I know! ;D

Which leads me to another question: Is Urdu and Punjabi very similar? What are the differences?

Rafeeq
11-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Is Urdu and Punjabi very similar? What are the differences?[/QUOTE]

No. Both are very different languages. Due to the fact, it is a language of a major population in Pakistan, it accepted many words from Urdu which is national language.

Other reason could be that these greetings are the same in both languages but the accent makes the difference. Your accent might be nearer to Punjabi or the listner might be Punjabi who wants to listen his own language.

Sameera
11-16-2009, 06:19 PM
No urdu and Panjabi are very different. I find Urdu is a more of classical language in style.

glo
11-16-2009, 06:20 PM
So Urdu is the official language in Pakistan?

Sameera
11-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks Funky for the link.

Rafeeq
11-16-2009, 06:23 PM
No, unfortunately, it never could get its deserving position of official language. But it is national language and people from Karachi to Kashmir, speaks and understand it. Even, around the globe, it is been spoken and understood.

glo
11-16-2009, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rafeeq
No, unfortunately, it never could get its deserving position of official language. But it is national language and people from Karachi to Kashmir, speaks and understand it. Even, around the globe, it is been spoken and understood.
So can I be fairly certain that the Pakistani Muslims in our town understand and speak Urdu - even if they might speak Punjabi at home?

Sameera
11-16-2009, 10:09 PM
^ Yep.

Normally they know more than one language there, unless of course they only speak panjabi :)

Sameera
11-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Okay the first thing we learn in Urdu is the alphabet which is not too disimilar from Arabic, couple of additional letters here and there.

Sameera
11-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Oki doki :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z719EX52iSc

Fטлку
11-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks Funky for the link.
you're welcome :D
Those are great, Funky!
I will print them off and practice. Definitely enough to simply meet and greet people in their own language ...
Do I simply pronounce it how you have written it?
oops, I made one mistake...
Khuda Hafiz (خدا حافظ) means may God *Allah* be your protector but it is normally used as Good bye. Its okay for Muslims to say it but you might not want to say it..you can say Alvida (bye) instead..so just cross out Khuda Hafiz from your print outs :)
They're mostly pronounced like they're written..and I have said so if it's other wise :D
Kaise:: Kai (as 'Ca' as in 'Cat') Say.
Amdeed:: Aam-Deed
Mera:: May-rA
yahaan:: (I don't know how to write this one:hmm:)

OMG! Hilarious! :giggling:

PS, has anybody else noticed how weird the computerized pronunciations sound? It creeps me out even when I'm prepared for the voice :skeleton:

kamran javed
11-17-2009, 11:44 AM
yes of course.

kamran javed
11-17-2009, 11:52 AM
its ok. can u tell me that what i think now

Fטлку
11-17-2009, 11:58 AM
^ huh?
why are you angry? :?

Tilmeez
11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
its ok. can u tell me that what i think now
Aap Yeh Soch Rahy hain Kay Yeh log Jawab Kion Nahi day rahy? Kia mera jawab darust hay?

Aap Meray Khayal main 20 Quetions walay Thread ko dhond rahay hain Jo Yahan hay.
Is kay last page par ja kar aapna sawal likahin Or phir dekhain k members aap say sawal kartay hain k nahi.

Sameera
11-17-2009, 12:46 PM
It's better to use 'Assalamualaikum' or 'Allah Hafiz' than Khuda Hafiz, as I think the word Khuda connotes shirk, or self worship as in 'khud" (myself), plural form is KHUDAON i.e. polytheism.

"The truth is the term "God" has it's origins in pagan sources also ... it comes from the Norse pagan religion from the word YOD .... Khuda comes from the Persian ... both of these were not according to their original meanings universal single deities rather they were the heads of their deities."

http://www.paklinks.com/gs/religion-...uda-hafiz.html

Fטлку
11-17-2009, 12:54 PM
^ whoa :skeleton:
Sorry, I didn't know that :hmm:

A'râf
11-17-2009, 06:03 PM
me too

I Want to Learn English imsad:cry::statisfie

meer5sd
11-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Assalamwalekum,
my mother tongue is urudu but i can't read or write in urudu, i want to learn to read and write urudu, is there any website which will help me??

I feel difficult to understand lectures of Dr.Israr ahmed as our urudu slang is completely different ashat of lucknow or lahore

kamran javed
11-17-2009, 06:54 PM
urdu is our mothry language . so i can't leave it

what about urs can i know abut urs

pray for me plz. caus i do the some persnal work. its about my feature

have any one gfive cell phone china modul

any one want to play a game with me . its very simple game

no body hear so i go from there at a time . ok

Sameera
11-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Has anyone learnt anything beyond the urdu alphabet?

Btw Funky, do you know urdu, or are you learning it? If you know it, please can I ask you any questions on Urdu if in the future if I get stuck?

JK

bluebell
11-17-2009, 08:25 PM
:sl:

i also want to learn urdu, lol, am in the same boat as you sameera.

have you tried one of those urdu books? the ones that start woth the urdu alphabet then then progress into sentences?

Sameera
11-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Salams Blue Bell,

Glad to know someone is in the same position as me! :)

I was going to start studying from 'Teach Yourself Urdu in Two Months' by Aziz Ur Rahman, but I haven't a clue where it is at the moment and I am still searching for it at home :embarrass

Sameera
11-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Salams,

I found the book in the end :)

format_quote Originally Posted by bluebell

i also want to learn urdu, lol, am in the same boat as you sameera.

have you tried one of those urdu books? the ones that start woth the urdu alphabet then then progress into sentences?
I don't know which book you mean exactly; do you know the title?

Fטлку
11-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Has anyone learnt anything beyond the urdu alphabet?

Btw Funky, do you know urdu, or are you learning it? If you know it, please can I ask you any questions on Urdu if in the future if I get stuck?
JK
umm...well..I know urdu but I'm not very good at it :p
I use the simplest words possible :giggling: :D
But ask away! I have people I can ask if I don't know the answer to it myself :p

Sameera
11-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Salams,

Hey that's good enough for me. I don't when I'll get stuck and need your help with learning Urdu. :)

I am going to give it go.

bluebell
11-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Salams,

I found the book in the end :)

I don't know which book you mean exactly; do you know the title?

aww thats gud that u found the book.

they just the ordinary urdu books in urdu with no transalation, u knw the ones ul learn in mosque, lol.

U can also do Alevels in Urdu?

meer5sd
11-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Iam also interested in learning urudu can u give me any link for the best book to learn urudu right from the basics

Kas1m
11-19-2009, 06:46 AM
Salam sister
Im an urdu speaker but now im trying to learn arabic
http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203830
In the link above ive gone through the basics of urdu...best thing is to go through the thread...take your time in one bit ...when you are comfortable do the next bit
Unfortunately you will need to go through it page by page as it has replies and comments too
if you want anything else for help then im happy to help Inshallah in that thread
Its easy as that
Most people dont give much time or dont practice so they lose the motivation
As im trying to learn arabic, i figured out that if you go through it quickly then you will forget everything you already read
Yesterday i was learning numbers in arabic and i memorized them and then repeated them a dozen times and now i know them 1 to 20
Inshallah it will help...dont hesitate to ask for help...

Sameera
11-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Bluebell how are you going to learn Urdu? Is it through those urdu kitabs from the Mosque? I might do that as well.

Sameera
11-19-2009, 11:32 AM
How about writing? Is anyone proficient in Urdu reading & writing skills?

I wonder if there are any free Urdu classes online or a software we can download to be able to type in urdu?

I would love to use the same facility for Arabic!

May be we could make up our own Urdu/Arabic learning website or group online?

Fטлку
11-19-2009, 12:04 PM
How about writing? Is anyone proficient in Urdu reading & writing skills?
Not me :X ;D
Unless you want to read really easy words like خیال or something :p
you can find plenty of pros here tho :D..wonder why they aren't posting in this thread :?

Sameera
11-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Salams,

^ Then how did you type خیال :)

Fטлку
11-19-2009, 03:46 PM
:sl: :D
You can use the character map..
Go to Start→ Run → type in 'charmap'.
But sometimes that shows up reversed so I use..
http://www.urduword.com/search.php?English=A
It's much easier...just use the 'urdu script to english' option.:D

Sameera
11-19-2009, 05:13 PM

Oh Wow! Sister, jazak Allahkhair!

I didn't know it was that easy, subhan Allah. I think most of these are Arabic letters not Urdu, some are missing like 'zhe' and 'pe' - what do you do then?

ميز

Mez - table

Sameera
11-20-2009, 04:19 AM

Has anyone read Islamic books in Urdu?

Also how about character building stories or books? (Akhalq)

Do you know where we can get them from?

Fטлку
11-20-2009, 09:18 AM

Oh Wow! Sister, jazak Allahkhair!

I didn't know it was that easy, subhan Allah. I think most of these are Arabic letters not Urdu, some are missing like 'zhe' and 'pe' - what do you do then?

ميز

Mez - table
You mean پ and ژ?
They are there..pe is fifth from right side...and zhe is in the second row when you press shift.. :?
Type in A for ژ and Y for پ..you'll see them..you have to press the shift key to see all of them.. :D

kamran javed
11-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Assalamualaikum,

Jazak Allahkhair for this. I really would like to learn from beginners to advanced

Including Arabic!

bluebell
11-20-2009, 10:33 PM
:sl: sister sameera

yea those Urdu kitaabs do really help alot...but of course they not not enough, i need a good Urdu/English dictionary

yea a gud Urdu language software would be fantastic and more effective, lol.....but only if they was one..

am currently leaning Arabic through this webbsite: http://www.lqtoronto.com/videos.html MashaAllah the brother who teaches it is really good he explains it really well, he goes through Dr Abdur Rhaim Arabic books, (which are the best Arabic language books).

If anyone is wanting to learn Arabic I would definatly recommend this site.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.