/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Migration is spreading creationism across Europe, claims academic

Uthman
11-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Immigration means more and more people in the UK do not accept evolution, says former director of education at the Royal Society Michael Reiss

Mass migration has led to a rise in creationist beliefs across Europe, according to a British scientist.

Michael Reiss, who is a professor of education at the Institute of Education in London and an Anglican priest, said the evolution-creationism debate could no longer be thought of as something that happened elsewhere and that more and more people in the UK did not accept evolution.

Reiss told the Guardian that countries with a higher proportion of Muslims or fundamentalist Christians in their population were more likely to reject evolution. He added: "What the Turks believe today is what the Germans and British believe tomorrow. It is because of the mass movement of people between countries.

"These things can no longer be thought of as occurring in other countries. In London, where I work, there are increasingly quite large numbers of highly intelligent 16, 17 and 18-year-olds doing Advanced Level biology who do not accept evolution. That's either because they come from a fundamentalist Christian background or from Muslim backgrounds."

This rejection of evolution even extended to young people training for the medical profession. "Around 10% of UK undergraduates in some medical schools are creationists. Some people think this is unacceptable and that such students are not worthy to become doctors."

But when asked if their patients should be concerned, he said: "I am quite comfortable with people being first-rate doctors but not accepting evolution."

He made the remarks as hundreds of scientists and academics from around the world gathered in Alexandria, Egypt, for a three-day conference to discuss evolution and society. Organised by the British Council, Darwin's Living Legacy, An International Conference on Society and Evolution will host speakers from Morocco, Turkey, Jordan, the UAE, Lebanon, the UK and the US.

Conference sessions will look at approaches to teaching evolution, the variety of religious responses to Darwinism, the creationist movement in America and contemporary attitudes towards evolution in the Muslim world.

Reiss, who was forced to resign his position as director of education at the Royal Society last year after expressing his views about discussing creationism in science lessons, will take part in a forum on science and education. He said he would be arguing that some students found it difficult to accept evolution and that educators should help them to understand the evidence for it. But, "we should not be surprised if a few science lessons are not enough to change their minds."

Holding the conference in Alexandria will shift the focus onto Islam and other religions, he said, adding that the belief science and faith were incompatible was widespread. "There are lots of people who are convinced that if you're Christian or Muslim you cannot accept science as an atheist would. Some atheists hold that if you have a strong religious faith that it is incompatible with a scientific mind."

While Islam did not suggest that the world was very young – a tenet of Christian creationism – its texts did say that different kinds of organisms had separate origins. He cited surveys in Muslim-majority countries suggesting a widespread belief that organisms did not share a common ancestry.

Reiss said he would like to see young people being allowed to discuss these issues in religious education lessons. But if they brought the subject up in science lessons then the teacher, if comfortable, should use the opportunity to have a discussion about the strength of the evidence for evolution.

"Some people feel that when I suggest this I'm going soft on creationism. They're worried I'm not really convinced myself of evolution. I'm very comfortable about difference in society. I'm a bit concerned about over-enthusiastic atheists who ridicule people who don't accept evolution and I'm equally concerned with people of strong religious faith who denigrate science and say [scientists] can't be moral."

Reiss attracted controversy last year when he said that creationism should be discussed in science lessons, if only to prove it had no scientific basis. The ensuing furore led to him stepping down from his post at the Royal Society.

He told the Guardian how the uproar had led to "wonderful feedback from the overwhelming majority of scientists" and that he had been "very touched" by the large numbers of people who contacted him following the episode.

He believed a lot of scientists were reluctant to express their views freely. "They keep their heads down. It's extremely important that scientists feel comfortable being able to give independent advice and talk about their findings without any worry," he said, possibly alluding to the confrontation between the Home Secretary Alan Johnson and the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs.

But he encouraged scientific experts to have greater patience with government. "There are times when scientists do not appreciate the reality of life for politicians. What a scientist needs to understand is that there is not a simple route from scientific advice to the formulation of good policy."

Muslim immigrants are bringing the evolution-creationism debate to the fore in countries like the UK and Germany, says Michael Reiss. Photograph: Odd Andersen/AFP/Getty Images

Source:The Guardian

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
11-17-2009, 08:25 PM
There is no "evolution-creationism debate" as there is no common ground on which to hold one; the first is a scientific theory and the second is not. There might be some pro-evolution v. anti-evolution debate if you stretch the definition of the word 'debate'.

GuestFellow
11-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Ugh Islam does not confirm or go against Evolution. Nothing in the Qur'an or the Hadiths to suggest that. I could care less what happened so many million years ago.

Uthman
11-18-2009, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
While Islam did not suggest that the world was very young – a tenet of Christian creationism – its texts did say that different kinds of organisms had separate origins.
Where does it say that?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Chuck
11-19-2009, 02:33 AM
I don't know what he is talking about this comes to mind:
Chapter Two, verses 18 to 25:

"Then Yahveh God said, `It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.' So out of the ground Yahveh God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called every living creature, that was its name.
Detailed account is here: http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/B...apter3.htm#The Creation of Man according to the Bible: The narratives and their Context

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.