/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Data storage and representation

Salahudeen
11-24-2009, 08:18 PM
aslaam alaykum, does anyone know how peripherals communicate with computers, like what type of data do they store and transfer.

And does anyone know where I can find information on upcoming peripherals that are going to be released on the market.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
12-01-2009, 01:32 AM
:salamext:

Did you find the answer brother or do you still need to know?

Salahudeen
12-01-2009, 01:35 AM
I still need to know bro, my assignment dead line is on friday LOL. I jus need to know how they communicate from scratch, like what kind of information is transferred between them and in what form is it transferred. obviously it's 0s and 1s but how does it all work, how do they communicate with each other.

I'd be gratefull if any 1 knew.

Salahudeen
12-01-2009, 01:39 AM
I tried researching it but found nothing, and my teacher didn't even give us a list of resources where we could find the information :(

it's like I know what I need to know but can't find the information on it anywhere, I wish he gave us a book to read or something :(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AabiruSabeel
12-01-2009, 06:35 AM
:sl: bro,
does anyone know how peripherals communicate with computers, like what type of data do they store and transfer.
Peripherals communicate with the computer using "ports". There are two types of ports on a computer, serial ports and parallel ports.
In serial ports, the data is transferred serially, one bit (0 or 1) at a time. Parallel ports come in different sizes. Commonly used serial ports are USB (Universal Serial Bus) and RS-232. Printer port is the common Parallel port. You can check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_port_(hardware) for more info.

Usually there are handshake signals involved along with the actual data (data is only 8 bits at a time). Handshaking may be used to negotiate parameters that are acceptable to equipment and systems at both ends of the communication channel, including, but not limited to, information transfer rate, coding alphabet, parity, interrupt procedure, and other protocol or hardware features.

For storing the data, most of the devices have built-in memory in which they store the data 8 bits at a time. Some devices might store 16 bit data also.
For transferring the data, there are buses involved. A Bus is a group of parallel wires connected between two components inside the device or computer.
The ports of any device usually has buffers to store data temporarily while the data is being read or sent by the other device.

Hope this helps. You can click on the links to read more about them. If anything not clear, feel free to ask.

:w:

Salahudeen
12-01-2009, 05:46 PM
^ jazakallah khair brother very helpful :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.