/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mix Languages

Beardo
11-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Do you ever mix languages when you speak?

Like for example, instead of sayign "Im drinking water" I sometimes say "I'm drinking Panee"

And sometimes, I also add an -ed or -ing to words of other languages. Am I the only silly goose?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tilmeez
11-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Well, in Urdu speaking people they normaly mix English. Some times its natural like main yeh Point Miss kar giya tha (I missed this point). And some times its just to show off:

Someone says "Happy Birthday to Mera (Pakistani actress).
Mera: Thank you gee, Same to you. :X

Rabi'ya
11-30-2009, 09:24 PM
:sl:

Even I do it and im not even an urdu speaker!! lol. I said "jee" to this white person the other day!!! lol

Insaanah
11-30-2009, 10:41 PM

Ooh yes.

format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
And sometimes, I also add an -ed or -ing to words of other languages. Am I the only silly goose?
Nope.

Once my Urdu teacher said to a pupil "baulo to sahee" (say something) and the pupil replied, "I am bauling" !!!!!

That's not different language words in a sentence, but one word composed of two different languages!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
11-30-2009, 10:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insane Insaan

Ooh yes.

Nope.

Once my Urdu teacher said to a pupil "baulo to sahee" (say something) and the pupil replied, "I am bauling" !!!!!

That's not different language words in a sentence, but one word composed of two different languages!

At first, when I read your post, I started laughing.

...then I realized, I do it too. :phew

Hayaa
11-30-2009, 11:58 PM

I think it's pretty normal if you grew up in a Western country or if you speak a lot of English at home.

cat eyes
12-01-2009, 12:05 AM
:sl: English is my mother tongue and i have learnt some urdu but i could only speak basic simple questions that ud ask some one i do find myself messing sometimes and adding urdu words to everything

Muslim Woman
12-01-2009, 08:35 AM

Do you ever mix languages when you speak?
I try not to do this. Sadly in my country , many people love to mix English with Bangla. They speak in such a language ...u may say it's neither bangla nor English.

Our ex- Home Minister was famous for his mixed languages. I remember one of his famous comments : We are looking for ' Shotrus' ( enemies ).

format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
Happens when you are good at more than one language :ermm:
I think , some people want to show others that they know English better than others. Also it's a kind of status symbol how good u are in English .

Those who can speak English fluently normallay get good job , good salary in my country. So , parents encourage kids to learn English. Some parents proudly tell others that how thier kids are so fluent in English and they don't know their mother tongue. I found this attitude very shameful and pathetic.

:wa:

format_quote Originally Posted by Insane Insaan

..."baulo to sahee" (say something) and the pupil replied, "I am bauling" !!!!!

Rashad
At first, when I read your post, I started laughing.

...then I realized, I do it too

Re.TiReD
12-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Friend: Chup kar kuriye!

Me: I am chup kar-ing! <_<

Yah I totally get it, I'm as mad as you (That's scary) :><:

catalzzy
12-01-2009, 09:58 AM
i think its funny...

cos in malaysian.... they mix it a bit and tends to be funny.

like... bodoh= stupid..

so they go like, you bodoh la..

Innocent Soul
12-01-2009, 01:30 PM
lol
You started to say this. :giggling:
Its very normal.

waqas maqsood
12-28-2009, 04:53 AM
I mix urdu/punjabi with bit of english and french!

GuestFellow
12-28-2009, 05:06 AM
I speak Punjabi and English.

I learning Arabic now and Farsi...

Raaina
12-28-2009, 06:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~SilverOrchid~

Even I do it and im not even an urdu speaker!! lol. I said "jee" to this white person the other day!!! lol
I've done that :statisfie it was to my parent's and because I wasn't really listening to what they said, just sat in the back of the car lol, i'm not even sure they noticed. :p

syilla
12-28-2009, 07:48 AM
We have it too... we called it Bahasa Rojak (Rojak language) - the word of rojak came from the word of a 'mamak' dish which the ingredients are mixed together...hmm...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahasa_Rojak

At home me n my family do it everyday :hiding:

Myself
05-11-2010, 01:37 AM
my friend, a mum of a three year old was sweeping her garage when suddenly the daughter disappeared from her sight. so the mum asked what she was doing to which she replied, 'ma, i'm bet-hing down.' (betho = sit) she was sitting down...

shuraimfan4lyf
05-11-2010, 01:55 AM
One time my moroccan friend said something to me and I said "KYAA":hiding:? and he was like :uuh:

tw009
05-12-2010, 07:08 PM
yep all the time

haha I said that once to my teacher. She was just like :S

CosmicPathos
05-12-2010, 08:31 PM
I actually dont like it when people mix English in Urdu. They start with English and end the sentence with Urdu. I hate it. They have ruined the language. this is not to say that there are no English words in Urdu. There are. But ONLY WHEN THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE IN THE URDU LANGUAGE. For example "technology" and "programme" is used in Urdu.

But for God's sake dont mix the sentences. Ghalib would be crumbling in his grave when you do that. English is not worthy enough to flower Urdu. Its a different story when Persian is used to beautify Urdu. Persian is in a league of its own and has close ties with Urdu. But English? When did that happen? Cant let the slavery of Britishers permeate my language.

CosmicPathos
05-12-2010, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shuraimfan4lyf
One time my moroccan friend said something to me and I said "KYAA":hiding:? and he was like :uuh:
I thought you are from yemen? Do you speak urdu?

shuraimfan4lyf
05-12-2010, 08:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
I thought you are from yemen? Do you speak urdu?
Originally as in great grandpa moved to india from yemen and married a yemeni origin woman(great grandma)..i mostly speak urdu and english.

CosmicPathos
05-12-2010, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shuraimfan4lyf
Originally as in great grandpa moved to india from yemen and married a yemeni origin woman(great grandma)..i mostly speak urdu and english.
ooh wow, unique mix. mashAllah. Yemeni seem to be open minded then in giving their Arab daughters to us "Hindis." It is unheard of in Saudia :D

Al-Indunisiy
05-13-2010, 03:54 AM
I often mix Latin, Arabic, English, Indonesian, Javanese, etc. in my speech.

I call my parents Mater, Pater (Latin) or Mutter, Vater (German) or Umm, Abb (Arabic) or Ma, Pa (Indonesian abbreviated).
Interjections I often use: Yalla!, Ya Waylatany! (Arabic) and Oy! (Yiddish).

I also sometimes write English and other foreign languages in modified Arabic characters.
And I love to speak in numerous accents.

ardianto
05-13-2010, 05:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
We have it too... we called it Bahasa Rojak (Rojak language) - the word of rojak came from the word of a 'mamak' dish which the ingredients are mixed together...hmm...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahasa_Rojak

At home me n my family do it everyday :hiding:
In Indonesia, we call mixed language like this as 'bahasa gado-gado' (gado-gado language).

Gado-gado itself is a dish which vegetables, egg, tahu(tofu), tempe, etc, are mixed together.

almahdali
05-13-2010, 05:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
ooh wow, unique mix. mashAllah. Yemeni seem to be open minded then in giving their Arab daughters to us "Hindis." It is unheard of in Saudia :D
salaam everyone,

i am among yemeni-indian community too but I'm not from India. I'm from South East Asia, Malaysia :statisfie

there are currently large Yemeni descents in South East Asia besides those in Southern India. we speak local languages but we still have few Arab customs being preserved and only marrying among ourselves before but nowadays this silly customs are not practiced anymore.

ardianto
05-13-2010, 10:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by almahdali
salaam everyone,

i am among yemeni-indian community too but I'm not from India. I'm from South East Asia, Malaysia :statisfie

there are currently large Yemeni descents in South East Asia besides those in Southern India. we speak local languages but we still have few Arab customs being preserved and only marrying among ourselves before but nowadays this silly customs are not practiced anymore.
Salaam. Welcome to IslamicBoard, laah.

I don't know much about Arab people in Malaysia, but in Indonesia, majority of Arab people are descendants of Yemeni. Or in exactly, their ancestors were came from Hadramaut.

$tr@wB3rRy
05-20-2010, 10:16 PM

LOL

just yesterday i said 'Yea i wil get bk to u, ek minute, sabr' to this english girl and she was all>>> :confused: haha

Beardo
05-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Never speak without complete understanding.

Abdul: salaam
me: wasalaam
:D
kya baath hai
Abdul: bas chalrahi hai zindagi...bekaar!!!
me: lol
masha-Allah :P
Abdul: didnt get that? why masha allah?
me: lol no i didnt
xDDD
Abdul: I said my life is not intriguing anymore...
me: og
oh
omg
im so sorry
Abdul is typing…

Myself
05-24-2010, 04:39 AM
haha, that was funny. i guess that's how we learn our lessons...lol.

'Abd Al-Maajid
06-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Never speak without complete understanding.

Abdul: salaam
me: wasalaam
:D
kya baath hai
Abdul: bas chalrahi hai zindagi...bekaar!!!
me: lol
masha-Allah :P
Abdul: didnt get that? why masha allah?
me: lol no i didnt
xDDD
Abdul: I said my life is not intriguing anymore...
me: og
oh
omg
im so sorry
Abdul is typing…
Hey that's me, 'abdul' lol.
I mix up urdu, english and arabic....And I hate It!!!!!

'Aleena
08-25-2010, 05:00 AM
Its very common in India. its officially called HINGLISH(a mixture of hindi and english).
pichle year mein:
me:why r u sitting here? lecture nahi attend karna h kya?
friend:nope. Last lecture he(our maths Prof.) threw me out of d class!
Me: Kyu? what did u do!!
friend: nothing much. u know na i dont like maths so i normally bunk his lecture. last lect was my first after term 1. he has asked me to bring my father. kya zabardasti h! if dont feel like attending his lecture then me nhi attend karungi!
(k it is a bit exaggerated)

~Raindrop~
08-25-2010, 05:52 AM
English and Urdu isn't as bad as mixing Hinko with Urdu. As the majority of our family can only understand Urdu and not speak it well, the results are really quite amusing.

Aisha20
08-27-2010, 06:40 PM
I do mix spanish with gujrati :) or gujrati with english!!

Soulja Girl
08-27-2010, 06:54 PM

Mum: Kaam kairu ke na..
Me: I'm kaam kar-ing amra..

:><:

Afifa
08-27-2010, 07:10 PM
another exmaple.. Mums says chu nai check kur ( check the tea [on the stove] )
and we'll reply: the chu is ukair-ing :hiding:

More commonly known as guj-lish :coolious:

Beardo
08-27-2010, 07:13 PM
I speak Banglish quite often.

Oh, which reminds me of a funny conversation...

My Aunt: Can you speak Bangla?
My Cousin: Na, ami bangla bolthe pari na. (Translation: No, I can't speak Bangla.)

Do you get it? :P

freezium
08-27-2010, 08:00 PM
we here speak punjabi and urdu..and now we are in habbit of using english words in our routines...sometimes it makes the situstion amusing and funny...

like once my sister and cousin got in argument and it was like

my sister :huh!!!!my foot

My cousion(cudn't pick for the instance and replied ):huh ..tay my v leg..........lolx(and my leg......)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.