/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Italy Mulls Cross for Flag

Amadeus85
12-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Italy Mulls Cross for Flag

ROME – An Italian official is proposing to add crucifix to the national flag to preserve the country's "Christian identity" against Islam, just two days after Switzerland banned the construction of mosque minarets.

"Unfortunately, we are facing a strong attack on our identity by an intolerant religion like Islam," Roberto Castelli, deputy minister for infrastructure and transportation, was quoted as saying by AKI news agency on Tuesday, December 1.

Castelli, a member of the right-wing Northern League, wants a cross added to Italy's tricolour flag.

"I hope that the party to which I am honoured to belong puts forth my proposal."

The green in the tricolour flag represents Italy's plains and hills, the white its snow-capped Alps and the red the blood spilt in the wars of independence.

The Northern League is widely accused of racism with many critics calling it the BNP of Italy, a reference to the British right-wing party.

Portraying itself as a defender of Italy's Christian roots, it started its mission in the new government in May 2008 with bringing down a mosque in the northern city of Verona.

Last year, the League rejoiced the success of its campaign to halt the building of a mosque in the northern city of Bologna.

Castelli's proposal came two days after Swiss voters backed a blanket ban on the building of new minarets in the European country.

The right-wing Swiss People’s Party (SVP), which spearheaded the campaign, said minarets were a symbol of Shari`ah and the Islamization of Europe.

The Swiss vote sparked calls from right-wing parties in Italy, the Netherlands and Belgium to hold similar referendums to ban mosque minarets.

Christian Roots

Castelli said putting the cross on the Italian flag would reaffirm its Christian identity.

"Europe has the right to safeguard its own identity, respecting other people's roots, but it is necessary to return to our roots," he argued.

"I believe that Europe has the right to recognise its true identity that we are starting to lose completely."

The proposal drew support from Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini.

"Nine European countries already have the crucifix on their flag, it is an extremely common proposition."

But Parliament speaker Gianfranco Fini, from Premier Silvio Berlusconi's PDL party, dismissed it as "disturbing and demagogic."

Angelo Bonelli, the leader of the Federation of the Greens party, was also critical.

"Castelli wants to put the cross in the flag? So when do we begin a crusade to liberate the holy land?"

Earlier this month, the European Court for Human Rights banned the traditional display of crucifixes in Italian schools.

The court said crucifixes violated the rights of parents to educate their children according to their convictions and the right of children to freedom of religion.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

What You people think about it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
12-01-2009, 10:46 PM
If that Italian official intends to stir up trouble, I don't see this as a particularly effective way of doing so.

The English flag, and the British one for that matter, both contain the cross of Saint George. Haven't seen too much agitation over that from non-Christians.

Anyway, don't Italian politicians have better things to do, such as convincing the population that they are not corrupt?

Ummu Sufyaan
12-03-2009, 09:01 AM
immature.

they will never ever distinguish light of Islam. it has stood the test for 1400 years, and it has never been distorted and its true teaching have been left "intact." they can do what they want, but their own efforts always end up backfiring.

people like this have no idea how many people they awaken towards Islam.

Anyway, don't Italian politicians have better things to do, such as convincing the population that they are not corrupt?
apparently not :hmm:

Amadeus85
12-03-2009, 05:45 PM
The ideal situation would be if Italy went back to the concordate from 1929, which stated that only state religion is roman catholicism. There would be no dounts then.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
12-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Oh well. I don't really mind. I advise Muslims to ignore this and get on with their lives.

Ar-RaYYan
12-03-2009, 11:48 PM
"Unfortunately, we are facing a strong attack on our identity by an intolerant religion like Islam,"[/U] Roberto Castelli, deputy minister for infrastructure and transportation, was quoted as saying by AKI news agency on Tuesday, December 1.
Talk about being subtle.

Couldnt care less.

I cant see any outcomes.

جوري
12-04-2009, 12:34 AM
I think Europe should go back to its christian roots (The dark of ages) insha'Allah it shall be the beginning of their self-imposed demise .. they have been begging for it so much :D

Abdul Qadir
12-04-2009, 01:04 AM
i guess it must have been silvio belusconi? lol..

Humbler_359
12-04-2009, 01:11 AM
:sl:

Well, it is bit good news for Europe Christian countries especially Italy bring back original christian roots, where they have been lost it many years.

Let's bring it back to demolish 'evil' Islam, you rock! :skeleton:

The_Prince
12-04-2009, 01:35 AM
well its his country, but he is being silly as Muslims in Italy are quite a small group, and are no where close to overiding its Christian heritage or culture.

Abdul Qadir
12-04-2009, 05:31 AM
how do we know this is true and not a misquote?

Chuck
12-04-2009, 06:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
The ideal situation would be if Italy went back to the concordate from 1929, which stated that only state religion is roman catholicism. There would be no dounts then.
I don't mind that, they don't need to make Islam and muslims escape goat.

Amadeus85
12-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Yesterday, parliament in Poland accepted a law about protection of freedom of religion and promotion of values which belong to european tradition. The law criticize the decision of European Tribulan of Human Rights which advised to remove the cross from one italian school.
In wensday polish Constitutional Tribunal stated that it is permitted to add the mark from religion/ethics lessons to the student's average of marks.

Parliament in Poland

Lessons of religion in public school -

Seems like the real Europe remains in east of the continent, while the western part decided to commit cultural and civilizational Harakiri.

Supreme
12-04-2009, 11:14 PM
The Italians can do whatever they want. But I'm pleased Burlesconi has found time for this amongst having affairs with young attractive women. Because that's really Catholic.

Amadeus85
12-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Of course traditionalists would prefer catholic republic or monarchy (but true, not like in England), but now its impossible. So we must choose lesser evil, Berlusconi is better than nihilist and anti-christian left and liberals.

Blackpool
12-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Is it me or is Europe increasingly becoming Islamophobic? Does the future look bright for multiculturalism?

The_Prince
12-05-2009, 11:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
Is it me or is Europe increasingly becoming Islamophobic? Does the future look bright for multiculturalism?
wanting to put a cross on a flag of a majority christian country doesnt sound too islamophobic to me.

Supreme
12-05-2009, 11:43 PM
I don't think this is Islamophobic, as countries with Islamic symbols on their flags such as Turkey and Pakistan aren't exactly against other religions.

Karl
12-06-2009, 12:45 AM
If roots is what the Italians want why do they worship an Aramaic man from South West Asia. They worship Jesus (PBUH) in perpetual pain hanging from a cross... the sick morbid puppys. The true Christian symbol is fish, as Christians were considered the fishers of men, not that ancient pagan cross symbol they use. Christianity didn't pop out of Rome, it's as foreign as Islam. Why don't they put Jupiter on their flag with Mars and Apollo with Nymphs and Sayters having a party on Mount Etna. I think they(the politicians) are just anti Islamic bigots using bull sh*t propaganda.

جوري
12-06-2009, 04:44 AM
Pagans and Christians are indeed alike..

Media Tags are no longer supported

Media Tags are no longer supported

Not sure why Christians feign being better or answering to a gentler god-- both bow before idols!

titus
12-06-2009, 06:58 AM
wanting to put a cross on a flag of a majority christian country doesnt sound too islamophobic to me.
It does to me, especially when you have statements like this:

"Unfortunately, we are facing a strong attack on our identity by an intolerant religion like Islam," Roberto Castelli, deputy minister for infrastructure and transportation, was quoted as saying by AKI news agency on Tuesday, December 1.

It doesn't sound like this proposal is so much "pro-Christian" as it is "anti-Muslim".

I feel that no government should treat any citizen as superior or inferior based on their religion and this issue with the flag is a slippery slope in that direction.

Amadeus85
12-06-2009, 01:14 PM
It's like old and tired boxer fearing of young and vital rookie.

Supreme
12-06-2009, 01:33 PM
The true Christian symbol is fish,
There's no true ordained symbol, although the fish is undoubtedly a firm favourite of mine. The cross is the unofficial symbol which Christians across the globe use to indentify themselves, although you will find many variations.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.