/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What convinced you the Qur'an is the truth

Woodrow
12-01-2009, 09:59 PM
:sl:

This is primarily for reverts as the poll questions reflect. However do not let not being a revert keep you from stating your reason you believe the Qur'an is the word of Allaah(swt)

Notice there are very few choices in the poll this is deliberate as I am trying to find hat is the most effective method for Da'wah among English speaking people.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
12-01-2009, 10:07 PM
When I read Qur'an it was as if it was exactly what I had been searching for all my life, it made so much sense to me like it was addressing all the questions that had been on my mind for two years.

It's like it was talking to my soul if that makes sense. It's as if the book knew exactly how I was feeling inside and knew what to say to answer me, it's like the book understood me. Like it was reading my mind. It's hard to explain.

imagine 1 person who knows you better than any one else and knows what your concerns are and worries and he's able to talk to you in such a way that makes you feel like he understands you and answer all your questions.

that's how the Qur'an made me feel, like it knew my inner thoughts and feelings.

I really don't know how to explain it :(

Fishman
12-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Long story. My faith in Islam came about for silly reasons that you can't imagine a person like me accepting, and if my faith had to rest on those things then I would have stopped being Muslim long ago.

When people build a bridge they pile a lot of old bricks in the river first, or make a poor wooden frame to hold it up. Then they put the clean-cut stone and the smooth paving over the top. When they knock down the wooden frame or take away the pile of old bricks, the bridge stays intact. It holds itself up without support.

My faith was built like this bridge. I never had a heart of stone, a good solid reason for becoming a Muslim. But even after all the lies and garbage people had built me on were washed out by the water, I still stayed firm and dry.

In these past few months my faith has weakened catastrophically. It probably won't last much longer. But that bridge, that bridge between me and God that was built all those years ago, that will never break.

Woodrow
12-02-2009, 01:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Long story. My faith in Islam came about for silly reasons that you can't imagine a person like me accepting, and if my faith had to rest on those things then I would have stopped being Muslim long ago.

When people build a bridge they pile a lot of old bricks in the river first, or make a poor wooden frame to hold it up. Then they put the clean-cut stone and the smooth paving over the top. When they knock down the wooden frame or take away the pile of old bricks, the bridge stays intact. It holds itself up without support.

My faith was built like this bridge. I never had a heart of stone, a good solid reason for becoming a Muslim. But even after all the lies and garbage people had built me on were washed out by the water, I still stayed firm and dry.

In these past few months my faith has weakened catastrophically. It probably won't last much longer. But that bridge, that bridge between me and God that was built all those years ago, that will never break.
Quite interesting Ahki. It is true a person can revert for the wrong reason. But, if they have resurfaced the road and repaired the bridge, the path can still become a high quality super highway. But, there may be some bumps and potholes in need of patching before you can be assured a smooth safe journey.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
12-02-2009, 02:04 AM
i dont think (the emotion of) faith can be explained. it stems too deeply from the heart to be put in words.

shockOFthunder
12-02-2009, 02:34 AM
I became convinced after I saw interesting facts in there that Muhammad (PBUH) could not have possibly known at that time.

I haven't converted yet, but I'm getting ready and definitely will by the end of this year.

Woodrow
12-02-2009, 02:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by shockOFthunder
I became convinced after I saw interesting facts in there that Muhammad (PBUH) could not have possibly known at that time.

I haven't converted yet, but I'm getting ready and definitely will by the end of this year.
Masha Allaah and you will find many Brothers and Sister waiting to welcome you home

Rabi Mansur
12-02-2009, 03:37 AM

This is an interesting question. Very interesting to me. As some of you may know I have been reading the Quran but as yet have not become convinced that it is the truth or that it was given to Muhammad (pbuh) by God. But I still have an open mind. Some of it is very impressive, but I have not become convinced by the arguments made by many that it reflects scientific miracles, etc.

I come from a Mormon background and no longer believe in that religion. In Mormonism, they try and base a lot of the truth of the church on whether the book of Mormon is true. If the book of Mormon is true, then they say the church is true. But how does one know if the book of Mormon is true? By the power of the Holy Ghost. In other words, feelings or a personal revelation. The say if you pray then you will know by the power of the Holy Ghost. Well, the Holy Ghost never told me the book of Mormon is true, and it is so obviously a hoax, my brain told me it wasn't true. But a lot of people claim they have a personal witness from the Holy Ghost that it is true.

The problem with basing your belief in a book on personal feelings is that they are just that, personal feelings and not verifiable. Personal feelings don't prove anything IMHO.

I will be interested to see how the poll turns out.

I appreciate your allowing me to be here and discuss these questions with you.

:wa:

Salahudeen
12-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Also, somebody close to me got afflicted with a Jinn, and we tried loads of anti psychotic drugs and none of them worked, Also we were so westernized we never even thought of it to be a jinn, we thought she'd lost it and gone mad, we were ready to send her to the mental home.

But alhamdulilah my aunty who was praticing told us it could be a jinn so we went about seeking cures for jinn posession and they worked. That's the moment I realised that Islam has to be the truth, especially when you see someone performing ruqya and how much the Qur'an affects the person with the jinn.

If I told the doctors I thought she had a jinn they would've probably put me in the mental home with her lol. it's really bad how they just throw every 1 exhibiting symptoms of madness into the mental home. they completely rule out the paranormal aspect of it.

Muslim Woman
12-02-2009, 04:29 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

..Notice there are very few choices in the poll ...
Well , I was taught to believe that but after reading other holy books , my faith strengthened . :statisfie Alhamdulillah.

Finally as guidance come from Allah , that's main reason for my believeing that Quran is the truth.

Rabi'ya
12-02-2009, 04:32 PM

subhanAllah brother squiggle.amazing story mashallah.

for me i never really thought about the Quraan for a long time. I believed in Allah because of the world around us and the logic. As I began to read the Quraan I found things to me which made sense. It just clicked. even now when i read whilst it is the written foundation of Islm I don't believe you need to have read the Quraan to become a Muslim. There are many people who believe in the oneness of Allah without having read the Quraan, however if they were to read the Quraan I am sure that they would become muslims.

I'm unsure how to express what I'm trying to say correctly, sorry , I've been writing essays all day and my mind is now mush. Forgive me if I havent explained anything clearly.

Rabi'ya
12-02-2009, 04:34 PM

I want to give you reps but it wont let me. I agree wholeheartdly with what you have said. even the weakened imaan thing :( may Allah protect us from Shaitaan.ameen

Esther462
12-02-2009, 04:40 PM
I 1st heard the Quran on Youtube and then my muslim friends told me more about it and I knew it was the true word of Allah. I got my hands on an english copy of the Quran and read it more and the more I read the more I belived it was true.

Woodrow
12-02-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm finding the poll to be quite interesting. What I am seeing so far is the best Da'wah is to let people have access to the Qur'an and let them do a sincere study of it. If they accept it the feeling they gain will be the reason to revert.

I kind of suspected that youtube videos, while interesting to us Muslims actually have no impact or very little impact on non-Muslims. Doesn't seem to be a good method of Da'wah.

Salahudeen
12-02-2009, 05:00 PM
^ true brother woodrow, the speech of Allah penetrates the heart.

Chuck
12-02-2009, 06:13 PM
For me it was reflecting on Quran and my life this and afterlife, experience people and prayer in the mosque, watching hajj; which lead me to the conclusion that Quran is true word of God. But this doesn't mean I can understand or confirm everything in the Quran, I'm a human and subjected to limits in knowledge, however, sometimes most important decisions are not made with 100% knowledge, fuzzy logic is very important to us humans.

Woodrow
12-02-2009, 07:46 PM
From what I am seing in this thread is the Qur'an itself is the best Da'wah. I sort of had a feeling that too many of us have been using what we see the Evangelical Christians do.

Jazakallahu Khayran to all for your very helpful input and may the knowledge you shared help my Da'wah efforts bear fruit.

Fishman
12-02-2009, 07:59 PM
From what I am seing in this thread is the Qur'an itself is the best Da'wah. I sort of had a feeling that too many of us have been using what we see the Evangelical Christians do.

Jazakallahu Khayran to all for your very helpful input and may the knowledge you shared help my Da'wah efforts bear fruit.
Is persuasive dawah really a good thing? If people accept a religion that they aren't really meant to, that usually only leads to confusion and pain. Some converts leave after a week. Some have no real faith. Some take practicing their new religion lightly. And some become immersed and enthralled by the Love of God in only the first few months. Isn't it better to simply tell people of Islam and then let the wheat separate from the chaff by itself?

Miracles alone don't make a true believer.

dovelove
12-02-2009, 10:01 PM
many reasons made me believe the Quran is true, youtube videos were good for me as some speakers shock the reality of the instability and inaccuracy of the bible in this day and age. knowing that muslims believe in Jesus, and the origin of the word Allah and the fact it was used in the original bibles and Jesus prayed to Allah also, gave me a nudge. when i did not understand the meaning of the words it did not mean anything to me other than another religion.

having a belief in god but unsure of the origin of proof, finding that the Noble Quran was the only scripture which was not changed since revealed to one same man muhammed pbuh and stayed in original language and was memorized by millions, and there was reference within that said this is the only scripture that would not be corrupted by man, made me understand that the Quran is the true word of Allah.

upon reading the first page of the Quran translation, it was obvious that this was the true book and i had found the message Alhamdulilah. delving into any chapter of the Quran i see that there are clear messages to stay on true for the gardens of paradise and clear examples of how to avoid a painful doom and i can relate to that.

as much as i didnt think it would be right, it ticked all the boxes, i could not deny it. no more searching, although at the time i didnt know the basics of Islam just thought i say testimony and continue same old, i felt i had no choice but to say testimony, repeatedly being told only muslims get into heaven no one knows when they gonna die, seemed harsh but maybe was the push i needed. alhamdulilah i did when i did but tbh would have liked to hav known more about the rules of good muslims beforehand. but ma sha Allah what can i say, more than its what Allah willed for me.

i guess its different for everyone and it kinda boils down to what you think the purpose of life is (excellant lecture- my non muslim ppl too afraid to watch it cos they loving the duniya too hard) we can love here or we can love paradise! wrap that up getting long!!
pce

Woodrow
12-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Is persuasive dawah really a good thing? If people accept a religion that they aren't really meant to, that usually only leads to confusion and pain. Some converts leave after a week. Some have no real faith. Some take practicing their new religion lightly. And some become immersed and enthralled by the Love of God in only the first few months. Isn't it better to simply tell people of Islam and then let the wheat separate from the chaff by itself?

Miracles alone don't make a true believer.

That is what I said in my lopsided manner. Or I should that is what I thought I said.

Jazakallahu Khayran for the clarification. Sometimes I believe I speak "Native Confusion"

mahi
12-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Dawah can be hard, a mate of mine who talks about Islam to teachers and stuff not overly seriously doesn't think greatly in too what he says but he presents good discussion just when talking about Islam. I think that's good, just talking about Islam and not thinking too much of how to best present Islam. Because if one fails to do so, they feel annoyed. And sometimes it can become obvious when you're only talking about Islam because you want to convince someone that Islam is the way.

Like Fisherman mentioned, I think that just telling people about Islam and letting them have the decision is better. Though for me it's not saying much as I really haven't done much dawah.

What convinces me that the Qu'ran and Islam is the truth is that there are no contradictions and every accusation and insult can be refuted and also the great feeling of things like Salah and the kind nature of many muslims (though obviously not exclusive to muslims).

By the way, Woodrow, do you have a link to your story? :embarrass

Woodrow
12-03-2009, 01:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mahi
Dawah can be hard, a mate of mine who talks about Islam to teachers and stuff not overly seriously doesn't think greatly in too what he says but he presents good discussion just when talking about Islam. I think that's good, just talking about Islam and not thinking too much of how to best present Islam. Because if one fails to do so, they feel annoyed. And sometimes it can become obvious when you're only talking about Islam because you want to convince someone that Islam is the way.

Like Fisherman mentioned, I think that just telling people about Islam and letting them have the decision is better. Though for me it's not saying much as I really haven't done much dawah.

What convinces me that the Qu'ran and Islam is the truth is that there are no contradictions and every accusation and insult can be refuted and also the great feeling of things like Salah and the kind nature of many muslims (though obviously not exclusive to muslims).

By the way, Woodrow, do you have a link to your story? :embarrass

since you asked I happen to have it handy:

http://www.islamicboard.com/323571-post125.html

جوري
12-03-2009, 01:32 AM
What convinced you the Qur'an is the truth
for me quite simply it is the language of the Quran plus the number miracles and word repetition ... Br. Ansar had an excellent post here about the law of combinatorics:

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...ord-god-4.html

you can't do this stuff modern century with a computer, let alone millenniums ago, as in archive verses revealed perhaps 10~20 yrs apart to follow in syntax, meaning, rhyme, transcendence plus manage to run every aspect of politics, economics, govt. spirituality, warfare, etc. and die poor with your armor pawned to a Jew .....

When a person studies religion s/he needs to account for where everything came from and the reason why.. and whatever is left after you have exhausted all the 'logical' possibilities is the truth..

and Allah swt knows best

//-Asif-\\
12-03-2009, 02:52 AM
I agree with what Brother Woodrow said about the youtube videos. Not as effective for dawah but an good lecture usually serves its purpose by getting a non-Muslim to at least consider reading the Qur'an and seeing the facts before his eyes, freeing himself from the business of life and fun and all the dunya and sitting down to read the Book of Allah. If they don't go out and grab a Qur'an outright, they would at least think about doing so.

To be convinced that the Qur'an is the truth you basically have to live life and then read the Qur'an and soon enough, you'll see that it is the truth. All aspects of life that people wonder about, that people question, complain about, wish that things could change and ponder on, the Qur'an addresses them. Even the most minute things that you really wouldn't think twice about.

A sister said earlier in the thread that you don't really need the Qur'an to become a Muslim. I think the Qur'an basically claims the same thing when it tells you to look at the world around you, look at all of these signs, look at the evils of the world and the goodness in the world, look at the beauty of creation and the ugliness of creation. Look at the rich and the poor, at the thief and the upright citizen, at the scam artist and the scammed. All of these and more point to what Allah is trying to convey to human beings: that there is more to life than what is before your eyes, that what you do here in this life will bring results that you may or may not like. The Qur'an tells you to use your common sense and there are so many instances in the Qur'an where one that does use his or her common sense places a hand on their forehead and goes "OH!". That epiphany, that understanding, that gaining of knowledge. It's unlike any feeling in this world.

That can only be done by a undisturbed, sound mind taking the time out and sitting with this book and actually making an effort to understand what it is trying to tell you without people bugging you about a verse or any other voices in your head from naysayers or even followers of the Qur'an. Block everything out internally and externally, read it and surely you will get it.

MuslimCONVERT
12-05-2009, 05:34 PM

since you asked I happen to have it handy:

http://www.islamicboard.com/323571-post125.html
I just read your story. Masha'Allah, I bet your children and grandchildren were soo happy for you. And I am happy for you too. :D

Misz_Muslimah
12-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Wow mashallah, jazaakalahu khayran for sharing your story :statisfie

Grace Seeker
12-06-2009, 01:18 AM
And as you have no doubt noticed, most of the apologetics offered by evangelical Christians really have very little ability to sway a person either. Few people will be argued or "reasoned" into a faith they don't already possess. But I have seen plenty of people loved into considering one they had never given due consideration to before by a person whose way of life provided a consistent witness to their words, and then watched God do the rest.

But, please, keep focusing on apologetics. I don't mind at all. :p

Somaiyah
12-06-2009, 01:54 AM
Salam,
For me the time as I got to start reading the Quran in English and Swedish was very short before I converted. And when I converted of course I believed it was the word of Allah swt. So it was all combined; discussions with sisters on forum, explanations on everything I wondered, reading some special verses on Internet such as on YouTube and other pages where I could find what I searched for, then read the book form of the Quran translated to Swedish. But so well, the first time I felt it is the word of Allah swt was when I read about the prophet Mohammad's saw life and when I came to the part when he got the verses from Jibril and everything around it. First by then it was like "Hey, stupid woman, it's the words of Allah swt you're reading when you read the Quran! What took you so long realizing that!?" Still don't have the answer on the second question lol...

YusufNoor
12-06-2009, 01:57 AM

a belated Eid Mubarak, Uncle Abdullah.

i want to agree and disagree with what you said. ;D

if one has no knowledge of Arabic, nor understanding of how the Qur'an was revealed, the Qur'an can miss someone by a mile! some parts appear to make no sense and also appear contradictory. also, some of the books in English about Islam or the Qur'an have such poor translations that one can be puzzled by choice of wording or phrasing. i say this because i became a Muslim once i understood the basis of the Shariah and it's completeness was of utmost importance to myself. it was months before i began to understand the Miracle of the Qur'an along with it's revelation and preservation. [for which i am indebted to the Mufti of Zimbabwe, Ismail ibn Musa Menk, for his inspiring and informative lectures, especially, Reasons of Revelation based upon the book, Asbab un Nazool.]

on the other hand, if one was exposed to someone that has YOUR background in the Qur'an, then one might get to know of it's Beauty, Truthfulness and Wisdom at a much more rapid pace. where i am, we have many Hafz of the Qur'an who really don't understand it, nor can they explain it to others.

i know that once i began to understand Islam and the Qur'an, without even knowing Arabic, the few that offered to assist me would quickly back off and tell me that i knew more than they did!??

a Sudanese friend of mine pointed out that i would have this problem because of all the Tafseer and Islamic History i studied. i AM baffled as to why good practicing Muslims don't dive headlong into the same study.

with a little Arabic as i know, i always try to use it when explaining things about Islam to the folks that i meet. reciting an Ayah and THEN explaining it has a much better impact, as people truly understand what you are saying.

lectures by Mufti Menk along with much from Dr Bilal Philips, Yusuf Estes, Abdur Raheem Green and Dr Bahsar Shala have provided excellent points to illustrate, even to other Muslims!

what we do here also differs from what we do live as we have so many people who pretend to be our friend but are more or less wolves in sheeps clothing...

Mr.President
12-06-2009, 09:56 AM
An inner feeling or other unexplainable revelation

MuslimCONVERT
12-09-2009, 11:24 AM
I chose "other."

What convinced me was actually the verses in John about the Paraclete and listening to a Shi'ite Ayatullah from India explain them... I'm not Shi'a myself but his explanation was one of the first things that opened my eyes to the possibility that there could be a truth beyond the Bible that the Bible itself pointed to.

From there I began reading the Qu'ran with Tafsir [scholarly commentary], and when I read the explanation of the verses from Surat ar-Room, which prophesied with stunning accuracy the fall of the Persian Empire to Rome, I became even more convinced.

I then read some verses which talk about the Prophet Muhammad's [saas] Isra and mir'aj, and this provoked me to study Hadith and to figure out why I should trust them. My own independant study of the sciences of Hadith convinced me that Islam as a whole was the sound, natural religion with many strong evidences for it's claims to be of Divine Origin. So you could say that these 3 things, an understanding of the verses from the gospel of John about Jesus' prediction of the Paraclete to come after him, the accurate prophecies of the Qu'ran which were not vague, but very specific, and the story of the Isra and Mir'aj are what convinced me that Islam is the truth.

syilla
12-10-2009, 02:42 AM
:salamext:

I don't know how to answer...cause i'm so contented with islam. :hiding:

All i can answer is as i quoted one of the imam's saying (can't remember the name). "i have no problem with my religion and if you have problem with yours go and deal with it"

Muslim Woman
12-10-2009, 04:14 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimCONVERT

What convinced me was actually the verses in John about the Paraclete .....

Interesting . Thanks for sharing .

Grace Seeker
12-11-2009, 06:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimCONVERT
I chose "other."

What convinced me was actually the verses in John about the Paraclete and listening to a Shi'ite Ayatullah from India explain them... I'm not Shi'a myself but his explanation was one of the first things that opened my eyes to the possibility that there could be a truth beyond the Bible that the Bible itself pointed to.

Interesting, I agree.

Were you already drawn to Islam in anyway prior to that?

I ask, because I've seen many attempts by Muslim's to reinterpret those passages as you now understand them, but I've never seen them use a good hermenuetic of the scriptures when doing so. I can actually understand how and why a person might be drawn toward Islam, but I just can't imagine the mis-identification of Muhammad as the reference for the Biblical term parakletos being the reason -- there are so many reasons that it doesn't fit, not the least of which has already been referred to that the parakletos is said to dwell within those who believe in Jesus, convicts people of their sin, and leads into relationship with Jesus.

Indeed, did you know that the term parakletos is not only used in the Gospel of John, but also in one of John's letters? There he writes: "My dear children, I write this [letter] to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one [the parakletos] who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One" (1 John 2:1).

In other words, the parakletos has the role of being one who stands between the individual and God as an intermediary, something that Muslims don't believe in, who serves as our advocate, intercessor, counselor, and guide. Muhammad (pbuh) does indeed do some of those things, but Muhammad (p) could hardly be the same as the parakletos "Jesus Christ, the Righteous One". Nor does Muhammad (p) have the capacity to fulfill the work of the parakletos of John 14:16 who is to be with Jesus' disciples "forever"; nor does he testify about Jesus as the paracletos does in John 15:26; nor does Muhammad (p) bring glory to Jesus as is also the work of the parakletos (John 16:12-14). Did the Shi'ite Ayatullah tell you that these things: bringing glory to Jesus, testifying about Jesus, being with the disciples forever, and serving as an intercessor are all part of Muhammad's work as one sent by (according to the scriptures that describe the parakletos) the Father in Jesus' name?

When, if ever, did Muhammad (p) announce himself as one sent by, not Allah, but sepcifically by the Father?

When, if ever, did Muhammad (p) reveal himself to be one sent in Jesus' name?

Is Muhammad (p) understood in Islam to be with Jesus' disciples forever?

Does Muhammad (p) bring glory to Jesus, glory of the nature that is to be offered to God alone?

These are all things that are testified to as the work of the parakletos right along with those things such as teaching and being a messenger of truth. I understand how you might identify these latter things with Muhammad (p), but unless you are prepared to say that he also did these other things I've already shown are equally the work of the parakletos, then the title just doesn't fit Muhammad (p) after all.

BTW, I'm not by this suggesting that you should therefore give up Islam and become a Christian, for I'm guessing that there were before and still are now, other things that you found to be more attractive in Islam than in Christianity. But I will suggest that if this was the primary reason that caused you to convert, that you may want to do some more soul searching to satisfy yourself with regard to the reasons you choose to stay a Muslim, as a more correct understanding of the role and function of the parakeltos of the Bible would definitely point you back toward Jesus and not away from him.

MuslimCONVERT
12-16-2009, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Interesting, I agree.

Were you already drawn to Islam in anyway prior to that?

I ask, because I've seen many attempts by Muslim's to reinterpret those passages as you now understand them, but I've never seen them use a good hermenuetic of the scriptures when doing so. I can actually understand how and why a person might be drawn toward Islam, but I just can't imagine the mis-identification of Muhammad as the reference for the Biblical term parakletos being the reason -- there are so many reasons that it doesn't fit, not the least of which has already been referred to that the parakletos is said to dwell within those who believe in Jesus, convicts people of their sin, and leads into relationship with Jesus.

Indeed, did you know that the term parakletos is not only used in the Gospel of John, but also in one of John's letters? There he writes: "My dear children, I write this [letter] to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one [the parakletos] who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One" (1 John 2:1).

In other words, the parakletos has the role of being one who stands between the individual and God as an intermediary, something that Muslims don't believe in, who serves as our advocate, intercessor, counselor, and guide. Muhammad (pbuh) does indeed do some of those things, but Muhammad (p) could hardly be the same as the parakletos "Jesus Christ, the Righteous One". Nor does Muhammad (p) have the capacity to fulfill the work of the parakletos of John 14:16 who is to be with Jesus' disciples "forever"; nor does he testify about Jesus as the paracletos does in John 15:26; nor does Muhammad (p) bring glory to Jesus as is also the work of the parakletos (John 16:12-14). Did the Shi'ite Ayatullah tell you that these things: bringing glory to Jesus, testifying about Jesus, being with the disciples forever, and serving as an intercessor are all part of Muhammad's work as one sent by (according to the scriptures that describe the parakletos) the Father in Jesus' name?

When, if ever, did Muhammad (p) announce himself as one sent by, not Allah, but sepcifically by the Father?

When, if ever, did Muhammad (p) reveal himself to be one sent in Jesus' name?

Is Muhammad (p) understood in Islam to be with Jesus' disciples forever?

Does Muhammad (p) bring glory to Jesus, glory of the nature that is to be offered to God alone?

These are all things that are testified to as the work of the parakletos right along with those things such as teaching and being a messenger of truth. I understand how you might identify these latter things with Muhammad (p), but unless you are prepared to say that he also did these other things I've already shown are equally the work of the parakletos, then the title just doesn't fit Muhammad (p) after all.

BTW, I'm not by this suggesting that you should therefore give up Islam and become a Christian, for I'm guessing that there were before and still are now, other things that you found to be more attractive in Islam than in Christianity. But I will suggest that if this was the primary reason that caused you to convert, that you may want to do some more soul searching to satisfy yourself with regard to the reasons you choose to stay a Muslim, as a more correct understanding of the role and function of the parakeltos of the Bible would definitely point you back toward Jesus and not away from him.

These two posts I wrote on the topic of why I believe the Paraclete to be Muhammad [saas], and they should address most of your points, inshallah. :D

http://www.islamicboard.com/1253359-post4.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/1253665-post10.html

Grace Seeker
12-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Thank-you for the references to your prior posts.

How about my initial question: "Were you already drawn to Islam in anyway prior to that?", that is, prior to the presentation by Shi'ite Ayatullah?

MuslimCONVERT
12-17-2009, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Thank-you for the references to your prior posts.

How about my initial question: "Were you already drawn to Islam in anyway prior to that?", that is, prior to the presentation by Shi'ite Ayatullah?
Only in the sense that I was drawn to a lot of faiths at that point... it occurred at a crucial juncture in my life when I was kinda researching all faiths... spent a lot of my nights reading by myself... and I was a fairly open minded person, and so I was kinda leaning toward that silly uber-liberal phase a lot of "seekers" go through, kind of a universalist perspective that all faiths are true and everyone goes to heaven... And I knew a bit about Islam at that point... -because of my research... I knew, for example, a *little* bit about the life of the Prophet Muhammad.. didn't know much about the Qu'ran though, or it's position on the Bible... so I was kinda putting some "feelers" out there around this time, which is how I came across the Shi'ite Ayatullah in the first place... but I am not sure I would say it was something I was drawn to anymore than, say, Buddhism, or Christianity... just kinda interested in everything...

Mohamed_
12-17-2009, 04:08 PM
I have a long story as well.

I was christian before converting to Islam. But I knew that my dad was muslim before, so I was asking him about Islam, the Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h.), the Arabic language and the Arabic people.

He really told me many thing about these things, so I got more interested especially about Islam.

I was also asking what's different between christianity and Islam. Then he has opened my eyes, and I learnt from him what Islam is really all about, for example: Terrorism is not Islam.

Also taught me about the forbidden things in Islam, I learnt reading the Qur'an by him.

So I got to think christianity things and the Bible is not really from the God, actually that's not what the christian priests are teaching to the people.

Also in primary school I was always defending Islam and Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h.). I studied in a christian primary school, they always told me 'Muhammad' did not live and he was not from the God. I never believed them, because I knew what God really gave to us by Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h.) that's in the Holy Qor'an.

In the summer of 2009, my dad told me he's going to convert to Islam again, so he's going to live as a muslim has to. I said that's nice. He asked me about I prefer to be a muslim than be a christian. I said yes to him.

Also on the summer my dad found old muslim friends and we met them in a mosque. It was very great, to meat muslims like us and meat foreign people, like Pakistanians, Arabics and the others.

I really love being muslim and follow the sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h.) also read the Holy Qur'an.

And, I don't really like reading books, except Qor'an, The 40 Hadeeth and other Islamic books.:)

aamirsaab
12-17-2009, 05:26 PM
I grew up in a very Islamic environment. A large practicing muslim family, went to masjid, had muslim friends etc. I also had non-muslim friends and went to a predominantly non-muslim primary/secondary school.

In short, I got the very best of both worlds so accepting Islam and the Qur'an as the truth was very easy.

Tho, if I were to pinpoint it on the basis of Qur'an, it'd would have to be commands of Allah for us i.e treating one another like brothers instead of ass-holes.

If you look at the qualities of a good friend or sibling etc, certain things come to mind: they tend to be pleasant; they tend to be respectful of others; look after themselves well (they don't have flies buzzing around them or play in cow-crap for example). All in all, they're what we universally call 'good' people.

And then by seeing that these behaviours are encouraged in a holy book it helped solidfy it in my mind: this path out of all the many others encourages us to do good - by ourselves AND others. The reward is actually 2 fold: one in the afterlife but the other in this one: doing good things makes others happy - and happiness is contagious, like smiling: if someone else smiles, you smile. And if someone else is happy, you are happy.

Of course, there were the many examples of the Prophet (saw) were he himself showed those qualities in his day to day life, so there was strong theory and practicality to the teachings.

I think in many ways it was easier as for me growing up as a muslim, because when you're young everything is nice and rosey - it wasn't a rare sight to see people being good (and I think growing up in an Islamic environment helped quite a bit).

Unfortunately, that no longer seems to be the case. ''Please'', ''thank you's'' and generally just helping someone (for nothing in return) are rare to see - to such an extent that when they do happen, it's like a complete shock.

I'll give an example: I was in pizza hut one day (I had a spicy vegetarian for those wanting to know!) and due to the size of the cue and the narrowness of the entrance, I was ''blocking'' the entrance/exit door. Now, there was a mother with a pram trying to get out and struggling (because of the situation).

So me being me, with back against the door, pushed the door open and held it there so she could get out (note: I did this as soon as I saw her and the pram but she hadn't made eye-contact or spoken with me yet). Yeah nothing special really - I opened a freakin door, but she was very greatful for it - there was something about her facial expression as if this was the first time anyone had ever done this and previously she would have had to ask someone (after struggling for 10 minutes) or ram the door in etc.

I don't know, it just seemed weird: she didn't have to say thank you like that - I only opened a door for her really (if I took a bullet for her or intercepted a mugger, then heck yeah!). Don't get me wrong, I appreciate any and all compliments I get, it's just a shame that noone else in the cue thought to do anything.

On a seperate occasion this time at ASDA I wasn't successful. Again, another mother with her kid but this time she was struggling with the trolley. I was packing my own bags at the time but could clearly see she was struggling. I would have helped her but we had to go (it was quite late so I was physically and mentally tired). I felt absolutely terrible - still do: she was right there and I didn't do a thing to help her when I could. Granted, it's nothing too serious - she wasn't being mugged or anything but still, principles isn't it?

So I kind of vowed to myself not to let that happen again: if I am there and can do something, I will do something - no more hesitation. And I'm glad that the path I follow encourages that.

Anyway, I'm gonna go play modern warfare 2.

syilla
12-22-2009, 01:37 AM
^^^ you're right...in a very islamic family and friendship...they are very polite, respectful and nice. even the children. Thats why i love being friends and near to them :)

Grace Seeker
12-24-2009, 06:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
^^^ you're right...in a very islamic family and friendship...they are very polite, respectful and nice. even the children. Thats why i love being friends and near to them :)
I think that is great!! Of course, I don't think that either you or aamirsaab would want to claim (nor do I understand you to be claiming) that such behavior is exclusive to Islam. You will find polite, respectful, and nice people scattered among all the religions and even among the non-religious people of the world. Nor do I know of any religion where everyone in it always practices the postive ethics of their faith.

Ummu Sufyaan
12-24-2009, 07:42 AM
^ i dont think they were claiming that. i think what they were getting at is the same way you should nurture a healthy and respectful relationship amongst your siblings (i.e your own flesh and blood), that exact behavior should also be bred amongst other people (i.e not your flesh and blood) as well. in other words despite that you are not related to them, it is encouraged to treat them as your own.

CosmicPathos
12-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Assalam Alaikum,

I am writing this with the intention of seeking Allah's forgiveness.

Even though I was born in a Muslim family, I had not been a religious zealot till last few years. Islam was very much a central part of my family (my parents are religious though mom is more) and I was a Muslim only by virtue of only knowing about Islam and no other religion. In a way, I now miss that innocence when I knew of no other views or belief or disbelief except purity (Islam) but it was necessary to logically arrive at Islam.

I don't understand Arabic that much. I can read it better than an average non-Arab reader but still not amazing at it. But Quran still continues to stimulate me if I focus on its Arabic recitation.

Quran's uniqueness is its message, its exhortations and its method of delivery. The grandeur language fills in the gaps that are made by in me in my daily life. There is no other book that I have read which makes me happy, jolly and positive towards life. Each book (fiction/non-fiction) succeeds in depressing me. Whenever I pick Quran up, it gives me a hope to live. That might not be a material proof for a disbeliever to accept it is from God but I have failed to read a book which changes my perspective towards life every time I read it.

As I got more secular education, I began to study other religions at university level. I did not come across any religion which had not changed under the selective pressure of the draconian stretches of time in which we exist. I found that even Islam has been subject to these pressures ( the emergence of sects etc) but I found Quran to be an everlasting unchanged entity which stands the pressure of time with dignity and divine help. This was enough to convince me that if there is reality to any belief in unseen things, it has to be the Islamic belief. No other religious belief in unseen can convince me as those beliefs border myth and legend while Islamic belief incorporates belief in unseen by directing logic towards it.

I have a personal experience of feeling the ease with which one can memorize Quran despite understanding it. As we were growing up, my dad made it his job to get us some part of Quran memorized. I memorized volume 30 (Allhamdulillah) and in hind sight, I see how easy it was for me to memorize those suras compared to memorizing the page long questions for my sciences or social sciences (we had to do rote memorization and produce the answer exactly as the teacher had written on the blackboard). Of course I cannot remember what I memorized in those courses but those verses are still stuck in my mind. I need to only read the whole volume couple of times again to refresh all the verses in the exact sequence as they are. Allhamdulillah

Whenever my emaan falters, I dont fall into sajda. I rather pick Quran up and it balms the hurt caused to me by the humans, incidences and realities of life. The author of Quran addresses me while I am in melancholic mood. Not even my mom can encourage me in my times as the Quran does. No human shares my grief with themselves as Quran does. Quran takes that grief and polishes it till I emerge a new born human. My parents, who are the closest to me, have not consoled me (or anyone's parents would not do that either) as much as the Quran has done. It has taken my tears and shown me the reflection of Perfect Justice on the day of judgment in those tears. It does not require a leap of faith to then conclude that the author of Quran is one who loves me and knows me more than my mother.

Only a Healer can do that. And such a magnificent healer can only be God.

I end with the prayer to Allah to give me death on emaan.

Amanda
12-24-2009, 08:28 AM
I choose the 'inner feeling' option, but it really came as a combination. I had talked to my friends, and started to do some research, but just hearing from others wasn't enough. It wasn't until I read it that I really felt it, but I may not have read it without my curiosity being sparked by others.

glo
01-03-2010, 02:34 AM
I am interested to read that most people have voted for "An inner feeling or other unexplainable revelation".
I hadn't expected that, because many Muslims I have heard have put 'a rational decision' or 'conviction by logic' before emotional/spiritual reasons.
In fact, I have heard a good few to disregarded anything other than reason and logic as emotional deception ...

I recently read a book (written by a non-believer), which claimed that scientific research has shown that virtually all decisions we make (from choosing the shampoo in the supermarket to making important life-changing decisions) are made on an intuitive or emotional level first - only afterwards does our brain rationalise the decision by seeking and finding the appropriate rational reasoning.

From the perspective of choosing a religion or worldview I find that interesting.
It would mean that we must have an emotional or spiritual readiness and willingness first - and only then find the theology/religious teaching which supports our emotional choice.

Abdul Fattah
01-03-2010, 02:49 AM
Selam aleykum
I hate to point out the bleeding obvious, but brother you should add "reading it" to the list of options to the poll ^_^

Woodrow
01-07-2010, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
Selam aleykum
I hate to point out the bleeding obvious, but brother you should add "reading it" to the list of options to the poll ^_^
Jazakallah Khayr, you are correct. It is so easy to overlook the obvious. I just added it as an option. A bit late, but perhaps some were waiting for that as a choice.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-07-2010, 05:51 PM

It's hard to explain really. I would say something along the lines of what squiggle and sis
umm ul shaheed said...but i chose the last option as that is the first thing i did..:)

:w:

greenshirt
01-11-2010, 11:59 PM
it took me years before i finally accepted islam.

basically one day i decided to do a little google because i had seen some shia muslims protesting the movie "the davincci code." these shiahs were holding up pictures of jesus and i was shocked. i had no clue that muslims believed in jesus. though i was born in albania, i moved to the USA very young and my parents never taught me about islam as they were actually christians.

so after this google search i began to get interested. i learned that what these shia muslims were doing was haram.. to have portraits of jesus. but, i learned that islam still believed that jesus was a prophet, but that this jesus was different than the jesus of the bible in many attributes.

but i quickly grew an interest in islam. a religion where the holy book is straight from god, not man-written.

in all honesty, for about two years i didn't want islam to be the truth. i didnt find the religion appealing to me, being a drinker and living the typical american lifestyle. but yet, for some reason, every night, i found myself online reading up on islam, or reading the qur'an. i kept telling myself that islam wasnt the truth but inside i just had a feeling that cant be explained, but im sure all of us have felt it.. you just know its true no matter how hard you dont want it to be.

at the beginning of christmas day, 3 years ago, i finally accepted that islam was true, whether i liked it or not. i just told myself "quit lying, life is short, accept the fact."

however, unlike many, just because i accepted it was the truth doesnt mean i instantly became a muslim.. nay, in fact it was like another year and a half before i accepted islam. but, after at least admitting it to myself, i became more open minded and willing to learn. and i continued to learn and learn, and in my heart i just couldnt deny islam.

now as i had said.. at first i didnt want to be a muslim. i kind of just knew that i had to be. kind of like something you cant choose. but, after reading and learning more, i quickly became fond of islam and my perception of this religion changed significantly.

finally i said my shahadah and have been a muslim ever since.

certainly i have followed many users on youtube who have helped me. i also have learned tons from forums like this, multaqa ahl al hadeeth, and many other places. websites have been a big help for me, especially fatwa websites. certainly without the internet, i dont know if i would have ever been introduced to islam. for all i know, right now i could still be thinking what i thought years ago... so, i do credit the internet. but ultimately, it was that feeling i got inside me that made me choose islam. that inner feeling was undeniable. no matter how hard i tried to disprove islam(and i viciously tried,) it just didnt work.

so, there's your answer. i know it's long, but i feel that this answer isn't as simple as black and white, and i'm sure that many other people have similar stories to mine. :)

Cabdullahi
01-12-2010, 12:10 AM
I was in a time of difficulty when i was about 16-17 and my mother moved me from a particular city so that i could be away from bad influence and then i attended college having no friends so i started to listen to the quran and because i fully understand Arabic i was hit by surat taha in it is the story of moses and moses was very shy and i kind of related to that because naturally i am a very very shy boy

the quran When in english it loses elegance,flair and vigour but if you listen to it in Arabic its out of this world

[Shakir 20:1] Ta Ha.
[Shakir 20:2] We have not revealed the Quran to you that you may be unsuccessful.
[Shakir 20:3] Nay, it is a reminder to him who fears:
[Shakir 20:4] A revelation from Him Who created the earth and the high heavens.
[Shakir 20:5] The Beneficent Allah is firm in power.
[Shakir 20:6] His is what is in the heavens and what is in the earth and what is between them two and what is beneath the ground.
[Shakir 20:7] And if you utter the saying aloud, then surely He knows the secret, and what is yet more hidden.
[Shakir 20:8] Allah-- there is no god but He; His are the very best names.
[Shakir 20:9] And has the story of Musa come to you?

Ramadhan
01-12-2010, 09:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
Selam aleykum
I wish I could still change my vote from the "unexplicable feeling..." to "reading the Qur'an".......

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.