/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why is Mecca considered more sacred than Medina?

Supreme
12-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi guys, not sure if my type is welcome around these parts, but I thought I should ask:

Why is Mecca considered more sacred than Medina? I mean, from my limited knowledge of Islam, I understand that the Kaaba is located in Mecca, but I also understand that the Prophet spent a lot of his life in Medina, and even lived in Medina. So, is there any Quran verse that says it is more holier than Medina or Hadith?

Thanks guys for your helpfulness.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
12-06-2009, 11:38 PM
makkah is an ancient city one of the oldest in the world. Before Muhammed :arabic5: was born makkah was a big centre, it was where Ibraheem (peace be upon him) built the kabah. and where the revelation first came to Muhammed peace and blessings be upon him. Al Masjid ul Haram in makkah is also the first masjid to be built on earth.
The Quran mentions much about the sacredness of Makkah and masjid ul haram. here are a few, trans of:

Verily, the first House (of worship) appointed for mankind was that at Bakkah (makkah), full of blessing, and a guidance for Al-'Alamin (mankind and jinn).
3:96

And when We made the House a pilgrimage for men and a (place of) security, and: Appoint for yourselves a place of prayer on the standing-place of Ibrahim. And We enjoined Ibrahim and Ismail saying: Purify My House for those who visit (it) and those who abide (in it) for devotion and those who bow down (and) those who prostrate themselves
2:125

Verily! As-Safa and Al-Marwah (two mountains in makkah) are of the Symbols of Allah. So it is not a sin on him who performs Hajj or 'Umrah (pilgrimage) of the House (the Ka'bah at makkah) to perform the going (Tawaf) between them (As-Safa and Al-Marwah). And whoever does good voluntarily, then verily, Allah is All-Recogniser, All-Knower
2:158
(these mountains are in the masjid ul Haram today if you are wondering about them. they are where Ismaeel peace be upon hims mother ran in search for water until they were blessed with what is today called zam zam water)

makkah is also known as the mother of cities and some hadiths narrated on it:

the Prophet peace and blessing be upon him:The best and the most beloved city on the face of this earth to Allah is Makkah. Bukhari

when Muhammed peace and blessing be upon him was leaving makkah he halted and face towards the kabah and said:
By Allah! You are the most beloved portion of Allah's earth to me, and verily you are the most beloved portion of the earth to Allah too. Verily you are the best, spot on the face of the earth. And the most beloved to Allah. If your people did not expel me, I would not have departed from you.

also good deeds are multiplied by one hundred thousand only in makkah (as stated in hadiths bukhari/muslim and others)

having said that madinah is also a very sacred place at it is madina Muhammed peace and blessing be upon him migrated to and passed away and is buried (in the masjid known as The prophets masjid)
both madinah and makkah are known as sacred sanctuaries and has many many many virtues to it which i will later list when i get time hopefully.

Hi guys, not sure if my type is welcome around these parts, but I thought I should ask
you are more than welcome to ask, i cant speak for everyone but i dont think any muslim member has a problem with non-muslims asking questions such as yours but when they are asked in a rude manner/insulting/or spam copy/pastes of islam says this and that, then theres problems.
but as for asking questions like this, ask away

Khaldun
12-07-2009, 11:17 AM
:sl:

JazzakAllah khair amani

Also the Prophet spent 53 of his 63 years of life in Makkah. And 13 out of his 23 years of Prophethood in Makkah. The Prophet only lived in Madeenah about 10 years.

Supreme
12-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Thank you both for your answers. So, now I understand why Mecca is considered more sacred than Medina. I also understand that for Sunni Muslims, which I assume you both are, Jerusalem is the third holiest city in Islam. This is because of it Al Asqa Mosque. So I want to ask:

Why is the Al Asqa Mosque considered the third holiest sacred site in Sunni Islam?
Have you ever visited the Al Asqa Mosque?
Would you recommend that fellow Muslims visit Jerusalem in addition to Mecca and Medina on a pilgrimage?

Thanks.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
12-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Why is the Al Asqa Mosque considered the third holiest sacred site in Sunni Islam?

Would you recommend that fellow Muslims visit Jerusalem in addition to Mecca and Medina on a pilgrimage?
the pilgrimage is only actually in makkah-madinah is not necessary, the rituals happen in makkah. having said that madinah is a beautiful and unmissable place to visit to those who have travelled there.
there is a hadith that states the Prophet peace be upon him said:
Do not travel (specifically) to any masjid except three:
al-Masjid al-Haraam,
Masjid al-Aqsa
and this mosque of mine. (madinah)
Bukhari

so visiting it is a great thing and prayers offered there are equivalent to 250 prayers elsewhere (except in the other two masjids which i mentioned in the previous post).
it was the second masjid built by Solomon peace be upon him and was actually the first place of direction to pray for muslims before it was changed when the muslims were living in madinah towards makkah.
In the night journey The Prophet peace and blessings be upon him also went to Al Aqsa- reference from the Quran:
Glorified be He (Allah) [above all that (evil) they associate with Him] Who took His slave for a journey by night from Al-Masjid-al-Haram to Al-Masjid-al-Aqsa (in Jerusalem), the neighbourhood whereof We have blessed, in order that We might show him (Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم) of Our signs/proofs.Verily, He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer .
17:1

Have you ever visited the Al Asqa Mosque?
no unfortunately i would love to and know many people who have...and despite the troubles in palestine it would be a great honour to visit there.

Khaldun
12-07-2009, 12:42 PM

JazzakAllah khair amani

Also during the night journey, the Prophets came together there and were lead in prayer by Prophet Muhammad.

Also that area, Palestine is a blessed area alot of Prophets have lived there.

I have not gone there myself, but it is the wish of every muslim to be able to pray there even once and walk on the same land that Jesus Zakkariya John etc walked on.

Supreme
12-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Again, thank you a great deal for your answers. I have a few more questions...

Is the Dome of the Rock given as high a status as the Al Asqa mosque? They're both located on the Temple Mount.
Would you consider cities like Najaf holy at all?
Is the Sacred Mosque in Mecca bigger than St Peter's Basilica in Rome? (Random I know, but I know how big the basilica is and I want to get an idea on how big the mosque is.)

Thanks.

have not gone there myself, but it is the wish of every muslim to be able to pray there even once and walk on the same land that Jesus Zakkariya John etc walked on
Indeed. In the next ten years, I will go on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land to see the sights and churches/mosques/synangogues built to commemorate the prophets of God who have lived in the sacred lands.

S_87
12-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Is the Dome of the Rock given as high a status as the Al Asqa mosque? They're both located on the Temple Mount.
no. although when looking at many posters youd probably seen the dome of the rock as al aqsa, if i recall correctly the dome of the rock was actually built a bit after Muhammed peace and blessings be upon him had passed away.

Would you consider cities like Najaf holy at all?
no not at all. and muslims dont take shrines as holy places, although muhammed peace and blessings be upon him was buried in what is today his mosque, we do not go there to pray to him. and najaf has absolutely no significance,nor is it a place to visit/make pilgrimage to etc.

Is the Sacred Mosque in Mecca bigger than St Peter's Basilica in Rome? (Random I know, but I know how big the basilica is and I want to get an idea on how big the mosque is.)
from wikipedia
The current structure covers an area of 400,800 square metres (99.0 acres) including the outdoor and indoor praying spaces and can accommodate up to four million worshippers during the Hajj period, one of the largest annual gatherings of people in the world.
it is currently being expanded even more.

so yes, it is much much much bigger.

Khaldun
12-07-2009, 07:43 PM

JazzakAllah Khair amani

In Islaam we are not allowed to take graves as places of worship since our worship is only meant to be for Allah the Most High. So any place that you see claiming to be islamic but has people attached to a grave etc then know that that is not from orthodox islaam at all.

Also what is it that makes a place holy in Islaam? Well basically whatever has been mentioned in the texts to be holy, either in the Qur'aan or the Hadith then it is holy. So if you hear for an example Najaf being holy then cross refrence it with the Qur'aan or the hadith, is it mentioned? If not then it is like any other place

dude001
12-08-2009, 08:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
no. although when looking at many posters youd probably seen the dome of the rock as al aqsa, if i recall correctly the dome of the rock was actually built a bit after Muhammed peace and blessings be upon him had passed away.
The answer is YES (sorry amani). We Muslims consider the land or the Haram Sharif area to be sacred and holy, not the Masjid buildings that exist there -although these do have historical significances.

That the land of the Masjid Al Aqsa contains tow main buildings called Al-Aqsa [Grey Domed Mosque] and the Dome of the Rock [the Golden Domed Mosque].

Alhamdulilah i've been (was able to to ihram on from there before going for umrah). The Mufti of Al Aqsa gave us a history lesson - so when people talk about the reward of prayers in Al Aqsa being multiplied, they are talking about the whole haram (the whole compound is the "masjid").

So if you prayer outside (but in the compound), you are praying in masjid Al Aqsa.

I hope that clears things up.

Predator
12-16-2009, 06:41 PM
also good deeds are multiplied by one hundred thousand only in makkah (as stated in hadiths bukhari/muslim and others)
And in medina its fifty thousand ,thus clearly showing the superiority of Makkah over Medina

Khaldun
12-17-2009, 11:31 PM

One Salah in the Prophets Masjid equals 1000 prayers prayed anywhere else except Makkah and Al-Aqsa.

Soulja Girl
12-18-2009, 07:04 PM

^Is prayin Salah in Masjid Al Aqsa more virtuous than prayin in Masjid An Nabwi (saw)?? :?

:wa:

M.B
12-18-2009, 09:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

^Is prayin Salah in Masjid Al Aqsa more virtuous than prayin in Masjid An Nabwi (saw)?? :?

No its not because For example, Sahih Bukhari quotes Abu al-Dardaa as saying: "the Prophet of Allah Muhammad said a prayer in the Sacred Mosque (in Mecca) is worth 100,000 prayers; a prayer in my mosque (in Medina) is worth 10,000 prayers; and a prayer in al-Masjid al-Aqsa is worth 1,000 prayers," more than in an any other mosque.

:w:

Insaanah
12-18-2009, 09:43 PM
:sl: Sister,

I found the following:

"The multiplication of reward for prayer in al-Masjid al-Haraam is proven in the report narrated by Ahmad and Ibn Majaah (1406) from Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him), that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “One prayer in my mosque is better than one thousand prayers elsewhere, except al-Masjid al-Haraam, and one prayer in al-Masjid al-Haraam is better than one hundred thousand prayers elsewhere.”

This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Mundhiri and al-Busayri. Al-Albaani said: Its isnaad is saheeh according to the conditions of the two Shaykhs [al-Bukhaari and Muslim]. End quote from Irwa’ al-Ghaleel (4/146)."

From:http://islamqa.com/en/ref/124812/virtues%20of%20mosques

"It was reported that Abu Dharr (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: we were discussing, in the presence of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), which of them was more virtuous, the mosque of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or Bayt al-Maqdis. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: One prayer in my mosque is better than four prayers there, but it is still a good place of prayer. Soon there will come a time when if a man has a spot of land as big as his horse’s rope from which he can see Bayt al-Maqdis, that will be better for him than the whole world. (Narrated and classed as saheeh by al-Haakim, 4/509. Al-Dhahabi and al-Albaani agreed with him, as stated in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, at the end of the discussion of hadeeth no. 2902).

One prayer in al-Masjid al-Nabawi is equivalent to one thousand prayers elsewhere, so one prayer in al-Masjid al-Aqsaa is equivalent to two hundred and fifty prayers elsewhere.

With regard to the famous hadeeth which says that prayer in al-Masjid al-Aqsaa is equivalent to five hundred prayers elsewhere, this is da’eef (weak). (See Tamaam al-Minnah by Shaykh al-Albaani – p. 292). "

Allah knows best.

nightingale
12-20-2009, 07:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun

Also during the night journey, the Prophets came together there and were lead in prayer by Prophet Muhammad.

Please give me some reference regarding this prayer. Jazakhallah khair.

Caller الداعي
12-20-2009, 08:13 AM
masjid alharam makkah is amazing is so so so amazing just lookin at it brings tears to ur eyes!!!!!!!!!!!! subhanal

MMohammed
12-25-2009, 02:48 PM
The clear answer is that Makkah is the house of Allah and Madinah, the house of Prophet(S.A).

Supreme
12-25-2009, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MMohammed
The clear answer is that Makkah is the house of Allah and Madinah, the house of Prophet(S.A).
Now my simple question is this: why does Allah need a house in the first place? In Christianity, we believe God to be everywhere. He doesn't need a church or a 'house' to live in, such an idea is blasphemous.

جوري
12-25-2009, 05:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Now my simple question is this: why does Allah need a house in the first place? In Christianity, we believe God to be everywhere. He doesn't need a church or a 'house' to live in, such an idea is blasphemous.
Why do you have churches then and call them the house of God?
obviously your god not only needed a house but a womb and everything else that regular humans need or suffer!

all the best

جوري
12-25-2009, 05:25 PM
an addendum to my above:

1 Timothy 3:15 (King James Version)

15But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth

جوري
12-25-2009, 05:26 PM

^Allah doesn't live in a church or a house either, we also believe he's everywhere!

The main purpose of Makkah is so that people may worship Allah...

I didn't say God needed a house, I am just trying to point the flaws in his argument given the very nature of the god he worships and I'd love for him to explain the passage from his bible that I referenced!

:w:

Predator
12-25-2009, 06:08 PM
The whole of the world is a place where we can pray except certain unclean places .

sur
12-25-2009, 06:15 PM
... So, is there any Quran verse that says it is more holier than Medina or Hadith?...
Quran:3:96: The first house (of worship) appointed for men was that at Bakka (old name of Makkah): Full of blessing and of guidance for all kinds of beings

To Supreme,

u'll read in bible about "Abraham"/ "Abram" migrating with "Lot" when he was pointed by angels of a place... He came back later to build an "altar" at that place pointed by angels..... that's we believe was Kabbah in Makkah.... & Abraham re-built it on it's old long-lost foundations

= = = = =

[B]Genesis:12:.6:[/B] And Abram passed through the land unto the place of Sichem, unto the plain of Moreh. And the Canaanite was then in the land.
7 And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him.

Rasema2
12-25-2009, 06:24 PM

^Allah doesn't live in a church or a house either, we also believe he's everywhere!

The main purpose of Makkah is so that people may worship Allah...

I would like to add to this. Before the big bang, there was no time or space. After the big bang happened (out of no where a huge explosion that spread the matter...) the creation started to form. ..
Allah is separate from time and space. He is above it. His knowledge encompasses everything, that is how He is everywhere.

this is according to the true Ordhodox Islam:Evidence that Allaah is exalted high above His creation and that He is above the heavens

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/992/where%20is%20allah

We don't know who God is or what God is. God revealed 99 names about Him( the most merciful, Fair etc..) The rest He hidd from us.

And I think I know what you are trying to accuse us of by turning to Kabba. It is just a direction in which we turn to pray. It forms a unity amongst the Muslims. The stone was stolen years ago, but still turned to that direction, that is a proof that the stone is not of much importance to us. As said by a hadeeth.
It would be very awkward for us to turn to our desired direction. When you go to chrch, don't you all turn to one direction?

I'd like to paste this by another forum: "what you should ask yourself is where did these beliefs come to the pagan Arabs from? As you know, both the Jews and the Arabs are descendants of Abraham. While the Jews were sent Prophets after Ibrahim AS (`Alayhis Salam - Upon Him Be Peace), the Arabs were not, until Muhammad PBUH (Peace Be Upon Him) came. In fact, the pagan Arabs knew about Ibrahim, and they considered him their father, and they claimed to follow Ibrahim's religion, but they had perverted the pure monotheism of Ibrahim with lots of idol worship and many other things.

Fasting, praying, and the Hajj were all done by Ibrahim in his true monotheistic faith. If you read the Quran, it tells us that it was Ibrahim and his son, who after building the Kaabah in Makkah, asked Allah to make it a House of Worship. Allah has answered Ibrahim's call magnificently, for today you see millions for Hajj, and billions praying facing the Kaabah around the world. (As a sidenote, the Kaabah was first actually built by Adam AS, but in recent history, it was rebuilt by Ibrahim).

As you know, all the Prophets were Muslims and they all followed Islam. When we fast during Ramadan, when we pray, when we do Hajj, we are doing and remembering the things that Ibrahim AS did.

So yes, of course there was a similarity between Arab pagan religion and the Islam that Muhammad PBUH brought. But this is not because Muhammad PBUH developed Islam from the paganism of the Arabs. It is because the Arabs developed their paganism out of the Islam of Ibrahim AS."

If you want to continue speaking about this, I can really refute you by the information I have from people who are very versed on this subject.

Supreme
12-25-2009, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Why do you have churches then and call them the house of God?
obviously your god not only needed a house but a womb and everything else that regular humans need or suffer!

all the best
Churches are congregations of people; indeed, church in its original meaning actually means the worlwide Christian congregation. The church 'building' is a place of worship, God has no home.

15But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth
Such is a metaphor; a church is referenced as a 'house' of God as it is believed His Spirit is amongst the worshippers in the church. Jesus Himself said: 20For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."
Matthew 18:20

Therefore, it is not a house in the traditional sense of the word; rather, a confirmation that God lives wherever His followers worship Him.

u'll read in bible about "Abraham"/ "Abram" migrating with "Lot" when he was pointed by angels of a place... He came back later to build an "altar" at that place pointed by angels..... that's we believe was Kabbah in Makkah.... & Abraham re-built it on it's old long-lost foundations
I understand that Muslim belief places the Kaaba as an altar created by Abram; what I cannot concieve is how it is the 'house' of God.

جوري
12-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Churches are congregations of people; indeed, church in its original meaning actually means the worlwide Christian congregation. The church 'building' is a place of worship, God has no home.
Are you a concrete thinker? Do you know what a metaphor is?

Such is a metaphor; a church is referenced as a 'house' of God as it is believed His Spirit is amongst the worshippers in the church. Jesus Himself said: 20For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."
Matthew 18:20
Oh so you do know what a metaphor is after all, or is this hypocrisy as you seem to be so ill read of your own good book?

Therefore, it is not a house in the traditional sense of the word; rather, a confirmation that God lives wherever His followers worship Him.
Your bible seems to suggest otherwise-- unless of course you'd like to take aspects of it that are incongruous with others out for it to have some semblance of sense and fluidity?

I understand that Muslim belief places the Kaaba as an altar created by Abram; what I cannot concieve is how it is the 'house' of God.
It can't be that difficult to conceive a metaphor, given what your mind has to make literal of the very nature of god, his life, birth and death..

all the best

Rasema2
12-25-2009, 08:22 PM
@@@@@@@@@@@@@sorry@@@@@@@@@

Insaanah
12-25-2009, 08:35 PM
The Ka'bah, in Makkah, is a house that Allah ordered to be built dedicated to His worship.

Verily, the first House (of worship) appointed for mankind was that at Bakkah (Makkah), full of blessing, and a guidance for Al-'Alamin (mankind and jinn).
3:96

And when We made the House a pilgrimage for men and a (place of) security, and: Appoint for yourselves a place of prayer on the standing-place of Ibrahim. And We enjoined Ibrahim and Ismail saying: Purify My House for those who visit (it) and those who abide (in it) for devotion and those who bow down (and) those who prostrate themselves.
2:125

Nobody said He lived in it.

I don't think you understood the term properly.

Peace.

sur
12-25-2009, 10:15 PM

There's an Arab tradition, that Kabba is exactly under the "Bait-ul-Mamoor" (The Throne of Allah beyond 7th sky)......

I don't know of any authentic quote from Quran or Hadees about that...!!!

sur
12-27-2009, 02:46 AM
Just to add to above...

We call all mosques/masjids as House of ALLAH... It's metaphorical.... NOT Literal....

It implies a place where we worship ALLAH...

& importance of KABBA is that it'a a place ALLAH has ordered us to face towards, when offering prayers...& to pay visit (pilgrimage) etc...

Supreme
12-27-2009, 06:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sur
Just to add to above...

We call all mosques/masjids as House of ALLAH... It's metaphorical.... NOT Literal....

It implies a place where we worship ALLAH...

& importance of KABBA is that it'a a place ALLAH has ordered us to face towards, when offering prayers...& to pay visit (pilgrimage) etc...

I understand, but the poster I was responding to said Medina was the house of Muhammed and Mecca was the house of Allah. Seeing as Medina is the literal house of the Prophet, one would assume by way of logic, seeing as the poster said Medina was the literal house of Muhammed, Mecca would also be the literal house of Allah. This is nothing but a gross misunderstanding, but seeing as the point of thie thread is to learn, not to get into pointless arguments, may I ask why Muslims face the Kaaba in prayer? I mean, I know the significance of the place, but I just don't understand why God only accepts prayers when the prayer is made facing a certain direction. I understand Judaism and Bahais have similar ideas of a Qibla, could anyone explain to me the thinking behind this? Thanks.

sur
12-27-2009, 07:32 PM
........may I ask why Muslims face the Kaaba in prayer? I mean, I know the significance of the place, but I just don't understand why God only accepts prayers when the prayer is made facing a certain direction. I understand Judaism and Bahais have similar ideas of a Qibla, could anyone explain to me the thinking behind this? Thanks.
We face towards KABBA because ALLAH has ordered us to do so...

In early days, Temporarily, ALLAH ordered Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) to face Masjid-e-Aqsa in Jerusalem, Palestine.... So muslims used to face in that direction...... KABBAH has been Kibla before -&- after this temporary Kibla....

While praying once... Prophet had revelation to turn his face towards KABBAh.... so he & companions turned towards KABBAh during prayer.....
===============================

At least one reason behind facing in one particular direction is "UNITY".....

just don't understand why God only accepts prayers when the prayer is made facing a certain direction
That's WRONG.... GOD accepts prayers irrespective of direction...

Direction is fixed ONLY for formal prayers that are offered 5 times a day.... other than those 5 formal prayers we can pray any time anywhere facing any direction....

Again keep in mind the difference b/w offering formal prayers (direction specified) & praying(direction non-specified)....

Supreme
12-27-2009, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sur
We face towards KABBA because ALLAH has ordered us to do so...

In early days, Temporarily, ALLAH ordered Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) to face Masjid-e-Aqsa in Jerusalem, Palestine.... So muslims used to face in that direction...... KABBAH has been Kibla before -&- after this temporary Kibla....

While praying once... Prophet had revelation to turn his face towards KABBAh.... so he & companions turned towards KABBAh during prayer.....
===============================

At least one reason behind facing in one particular direction is "UNITY".....

That's WRONG.... GOD accepts prayers irrespective of direction...

Direction is fixed ONLY for formal prayers that are offered 5 times a day.... other than those 5 formal prayers we can pray any time anywhere facing any direction....

Again keep in mind the difference b/w offering formal prayers (direction specified) & praying(direction non-specified)....
Thank you very much for this answer. So it's unity. Another question- which is your personal favourite city out of Jerusalem, Mecca and Medina? I mean, I know how each ranks in holiness, but if you had a choice to become imam at either the mosque in Mecca, the Prophet's mosque and the al Asqa mosque, which would you choose and why?

Another question (for it is obvious this is a subject I have vested interest in)- you know the Cave of Hira where Muhammed first recieved the Quran- is that a Muslim holy place and is there a mosque on it/near it and do Muslims consider it especially holy?

zakirs
12-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Thank you very much for this answer. So it's unity. Another question- which is your personal favourite city out of Jerusalem, Mecca and Medina? I mean, I know how each ranks in holiness, but if you had a choice to become imam at either the mosque in Mecca, the Prophet's mosque and the al Asqa mosque, which would you choose and why?

Another question (for it is obvious this is a subject I have vested interest in)- you know the Cave of Hira where Muhammed first recieved the Quran- is that a Muslim holy place and is there a mosque on it/near it and do Muslims consider it especially holy?
For me its obivously mecca , its where i long to go . Yes cave hira is still there and many people visit that place. Well do muslims consider it holy ? no we consider it to be a precious place but not holy.As in we don't go there for pilgrimage.

MMohammed
12-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Yup.Exactly.Agreed(AboVE).We call it house of Allah because it is the place towards which we prostrate; Kaabah not because Allah lives.
And the house of Prophet means that its the central place of Prophet and he is also buried there.
Why would Allah live on earth when he is the Creator of Universe?

muneeb_peace
12-31-2009, 10:09 AM
assalamalikum

allah does not need a house to live but as you see that if allah had not ordered hazrat ibrahim(a.s) then allah"s house would not have been built and we muslims would always face the bait-ul-muqadis and pray facing bait-ul_muqadis .allah only ordered his house to be built so that the muslims would be able to pray facing 1 direction not many directions .and making makkah the sacred city.he does not live in that house it is only and direction for us muslims

hope that answers your question

muneeb_peace
12-31-2009, 10:20 AM
the cave of hira is a place where the prophet used to meditate and pray but as far as the holiness in considered and as far as the question of mosque arises.we may take few things into note.the cave is high up the mountain and not everybody is able to climb there and the cave only has a small place of not more then 2 people to stand .the mosque is not there but ofering two rakats naffil is optional and can be done .the place is an attraction for muslims and can be seen only for knowing the simplicity of the holy prophet .that place is not more then this..we respect that place and its nnot necessary to clim as u may hurt urself and hurting ur self could face u serious injuries so its optional.nothuing more then that

hope that answers ur question

- IqRa -
12-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Another question- which is your personal favourite city out of Jerusalem, Mecca and Medina? I mean, I know how each ranks in holiness, but if you had a choice to become imam at either the mosque in Mecca, the Prophet's mosque and the al Asqa mosque, which would you choose and why?
Makkah - Peace felt there is like no other place

This is Cave Hira, It's on top of a massive mountain, therefore there are no mosques near it. It is considered holy, yes.

Predator
01-08-2010, 07:15 PM
^^^It really is hard to climb the mountain but still something can be done to make arrangements to go up the mountain by the saudi government

Ali_uk
01-20-2010, 09:48 PM
I have found this thread very interesting, My dream is to one day visit mecca and medina

skatteress
01-23-2010, 05:35 PM
i have been to makkah and madina.. 6 years ago this time i was in makkah1 hehe..
and yeh.. i its a really nice place.. i wish i could go there agen!

CosmicPathos
01-23-2010, 11:49 PM
I was in Makkah and Medina last summer. Visiting the place and witnessing hordes of believers made me change my perspective of life which had gotten corrupt within last 5-6 years when I visited the holy places last time. I still think that I could have gotten more out of my visit but I will next time God willing.

Seeing a believer rushing to the mosque naked feet for prayer on the uneven tarmac made me question the luxuries I take for granted .... these are tiny examples but they have huge impacts on you if you witness them and reflect upon them ....

Believer51
01-24-2010, 04:14 AM
Insha'Allah i will also visit makkah and madinah one day

Supreme
01-24-2010, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by xMuslimSoljahx
Insha'Allah i will also visit makkah and madinah one day
And which do you want to visit more?

zakirs
01-24-2010, 07:28 PM
And which do you want to visit more?
Would you take both for an answer bro :).

Supreme
01-24-2010, 08:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zakirs
Would you take both for an answer bro :).
Ha, I completely understand mate. If I were a Muslim, I have to say, Medina would perhaps be top of the agenda, above Mecca. I mean, it's where the prophet lived and worshipped for the last part of his life. And the mosque there looks beautiful. I love beautiful places. I hear the Medinan climate is wetter though. I also heard the other day that less than 10% of all Muslims will ever go on the Hajj.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.