/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Greeting question

Asimbo
12-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Asalaamualakum brothers and sisters,

I am a newer convert to Islam (2yrs ago) and I have a question about the use of our greeting.

My inlaws and my wife use the shortened version of Asalaamualakum by saying "Salaams" instead and I feel it is like disrespecting the actual meaning of the original words. I never hear any other Muslims saying it like that except for the Farsi version of "Salaam" by Persian people. Am I wrong in feeling like this, or is it wrong to short form it like that. As well, they say it when leaving someone, even if they are just running to the store for a minute and coming right back, or if you just finished saying "Salaams" and then you left the house and had to call the person back, you would be expected to say "Salaams" again before you could continue to ask a simple 6 word question. To me it seems silly and overkill, but I may be wrong, but I just want to do the right thing by Islam and Allah Subhanna Watallah.

I don't want to disrespect them either, but when I asked my wife about this and pointed out that the only people I have ever heard saying it like this is her entire family(grandparents and cousins and aunts and uncles and so on) and she said they all do it, but it just feels wrong to me. I've asked my Muslim friends about htis and they said they don't do it like this either. As well, when I said Asalaamualakum to a friend once when I was leaving his house, he looked at me funny and still responded with Walaikumasalaam but later said I don't have to do this.

I'm confused and could use some guidance Inshallah!

Jazakallah!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
12-10-2009, 10:06 PM
:sl:

The proper Islamic greeting is Assalaamu Alaikum. There is no abbreviating of this to salaams or anything else. This is the bare minimum. You can extend it to Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah, or to assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu. This can be said not only when greeting, but departing from people too.

Personally, I do say Assalaamu alaikum when entering the house, even if I only left a few minutes before. As to saying assalaamu alaikum every time you enter and leave a room, for example, I'm aware some people do this. I am not sure of the Islamic evidence on this and hope that more knowledgable brothers and sisters can help, inshaAllah.

Hamza Asadullah
12-10-2009, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asimbo
Asalaamualakum brothers and sisters,

I am a newer convert to Islam (2yrs ago) and I have a question about the use of our greeting.

My inlaws and my wife use the shortened version of Asalaamualakum by saying "Salaams" instead and I feel it is like disrespecting the actual meaning of the original words. I never hear any other Muslims saying it like that except for the Farsi version of "Salaam" by Persian people. Am I wrong in feeling like this, or is it wrong to short form it like that. As well, they say it when leaving someone, even if they are just running to the store for a minute and coming right back, or if you just finished saying "Salaams" and then you left the house and had to call the person back, you would be expected to say "Salaams" again before you could continue to ask a simple 6 word question. To me it seems silly and overkill, but I may be wrong, but I just want to do the right thing by Islam and Allah Subhanna Watallah.

I don't want to disrespect them either, but when I asked my wife about this and pointed out that the only people I have ever heard saying it like this is her entire family(grandparents and cousins and aunts and uncles and so on) and she said they all do it, but it just feels wrong to me. I've asked my Muslim friends about htis and they said they don't do it like this either. As well, when I said Asalaamualakum to a friend once when I was leaving his house, he looked at me funny and still responded with Walaikumasalaam but later said I don't have to do this.

I'm confused and could use some guidance Inshallah!

Jazakallah!
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, yes brother I myself have heard a lot of people who just say 'Salam'. When i was in Tunisia i hardly ever heard anyone say the full Salam greeting.

What is Salaam?

Imam Baihaqi narrates in discontinuation from Ibne Abbas, that As-Salaam is amongst Allah’s names and also this is the greeting of the dwellers of Paradise.

Imaam Bukhari in his Al-Adabul-Mufrad narrates from Hazrat Anas that the Holy Prophet said, "As-salaam is indeed a name from the names of Allah, which Allah has placed upon the Earth, therefore spread salaam amongst yourselves in abundance."

The Manner of giving Salaam

Abu Yala narrates from Hazrat Abu Hurairah that the Holy Prophet said, "When anyone of you decides to offer salaam he should say ‘Assalaamu Alaikum’, because Allah, the most Glorious and Eminent one is As-salaam, for this reason do not commence with anything before saying Allah’s name."

The Correct Words Of Salaam

Abu Tameema narrates from a Sahabi who reported, "I said ‘Alaikas Salaam (Upon you be peace) O’ Messenger of Allah."

The Holy Prophet said, "Alaikas Salaam are the words of the deceased person’s salaam. When one of you meets his fellow brother, he should say Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah."

Reward For Giving Salaam

It has been narrated by Saalim that the Holy Prophet said, "He who says Assalaamu Alaikum (Peace be upon you) ten rewards are written down for him, and he who says Assalaamu Alaikum wa rahmatullah (Peace be upon you and Allah’s mercy) for him twenty rewards are written down and he who says Assalaamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh (Peace be upon you and Allah’s mercy and blessing) thirty rewards are written down (for him)."

In support of this Hadith we find a narration by Ibn Umar in Musannaf-Abdul-Razzak; It has been narrated in this Hadith that a person came in the presence of the Holy Prophet and said, "Assalamu Alaikum." The Holy Prophet replied, "Ten." Then a second Sahabi came and said, "Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullah." The Holy Prophet replied, "Twenty." Then a third Sahabi arrived and said, "Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh." Upon this the Holy Prophetsaid, "Thirty." That is to say upon three words thirty rewards will be written down.

So my brother we should try and correct people whenever they say the short Salaam greeting in a beautiful and gentle manner with wisdom. We should not feel ashamed to correct someone as it is our duty to do so if we have the correct knowledge.

So let us try as often as we can to say the FULL greeting to get these great rewards because we are truly in need of them. We will regret all the opportnuties that we missed out on in this world to gain good deeds and offering the FULL salaam to people who we know and those who we don't know is a wonderful way of gaining great rewards and pleasing Allah.

Asimbo
12-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Jazakallah both of you for helping me out.

At Juma, I asked our Imam about this and he said that there are a few people that he knows that say it this way too, but he always says it properly back to correct them without having to say anything. He said that if after a couple of times of correcting it without actually saying it, and they don't catch on, he then tells them the correct way to pass Salaams.

May Allah swt bless you all for helping me out!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Caller الداعي
12-13-2009, 08:17 AM
ameeen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AhmadibnNasroon
12-14-2009, 01:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asimbo
Jazakallah both of you for helping me out.

At Juma, I asked our Imam about this and he said that there are a few people that he knows that say it this way too, but he always says it properly back to correct them without having to say anything. He said that if after a couple of times of correcting it without actually saying it, and they don't catch on, he then tells them the correct way to pass Salaams.

May Allah swt bless you all for helping me out!
this is good advice

cat eyes
12-14-2009, 04:06 PM
when i first reverted i was getting sick of people just saying ''salaam'' instead of the full version so i was constantly telling people to say it in full because it irritated me i felt the same as you its like they are disrespecting it

MSalman
12-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Ibrahim (alayhi as-salam) greeted the angles with just "salaam":
“When they came in to him and said: ‘Salaam, (peace be upon you)!’ He answered: ‘Salaam, (peace be upon you ),’” [Surah al-Dhaariyaat (51):25]
So from this we know that it is permissible to say just "salaam" but let us practice the full greeting to get more reward, insha'Allah

For more one may refer to
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/67801
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/2291

and Allah knows best

abu salaahudeen
12-14-2009, 07:01 PM
th esunnah defines to us as to how we should conduct ourselves with other people and th eissue of the greeting is not to say salaams rather the proper way.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.