/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to handle troll Attacks

Woodrow
12-11-2009, 11:30 AM
:sl:

On occasion, like all sites, we do get bombarded with organized troll attacks. There are ways that everybody can make these attakcs short term and assist in the clean up. I'm just going to post a few suggestions on what we each can do.

1, Do not panic. Even if it appears no mod or admin is online, there nearly always is somebody online.

2. Do not respond to any trolls, this only makes it difficult for the mods to do a speedy deletion. Above all do not use the quote feature. This makes removal of the post very difficult and can become very confusing in hunting the posts down. It can also appear that you have done the original post and if we are trying to do mass deletions, it also can cause you to be banned along with the troll if we are doing a group banning as in haste we may see your post as an original and not as a quote.

3. Use the report button. It is impossible for us to viw every new thread or post. The help and conern of the Members is probably the best anti-troll weapon avi;able, but it will not work unless members use the report button. Remember if you can see a post that needs deletion, it means no mod has seen it. Once a mod sees a nasty post it is gone in less than a minute. So hit that button if you see a nasty.

4.Do not start any threads about the attack. When we are in a rush deleting and banning, it can be difficult to seperate the trolls from posts about the trolls.

5. Use the report button. If a mod is online it will be acted on almost immediately. PM a staff member only as a last resort, if you do not see the offensive post disappearing after 15 minutes

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
12-11-2009, 11:41 AM
:wa:

JazakAllah khair for the tips.

InshaAllah it won't happen again, but if it happen, we will be more professional to handle it.
I must admit that today was a nightmare for me to witness such thing :skeleton:

May Allah protect this place.

Woodrow
12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah

JazakAllah khair for the tips.

InshaAllah it won't happen again, but if it happen, we will be more professional to handle it.
I must admit that today was a nightmare for me to witness such thing :skeleton:

May Allah protect this place.

Fortunately most of the attacks are taken care of before any members are aware one has even taken place. But, it can be a reasonable assumption there will be others. We need to just see it as verification the world is aware LI exists

Danah
12-11-2009, 12:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

Fortunately most of the attacks are taken care of before any members are aware one has even taken place. But, it can be a reasonable assumption there will be others. We need to just see it as verification the world is aware LI exists
Exactly, very well said!

And that's on itself is enough for those haters to flame in their sick grudges toward Islam and see that there are still people standing behind this great way of life, Allah will protect his religion no matter what they do.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BintAbee
12-11-2009, 12:37 PM

Jazakallah Khair for this advice Uncle Woodrow. I'm sure all the members will help in getting rid of these trolls. It was terrible this morning. :exhausted

:w:

piXie
04-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Alhamdulillaah I wasn't online at the time
format_quote Originally Posted by BintAbee
I'm sure all the members will help in getting rid of these trolls. It was terrible this morning. :exhausted
If no one minds, I'd rather close my eyes or the window until everything clears up. :blind:

~ Sabr ~
05-25-2012, 05:56 PM
It's happening again and the mods aren't doing anything about it. Why, I ask, WHY?!

Endymion
05-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Ermm...who deleted your post in the thread "who do you think will win" something like that^o) Two or three admins here are online almost all the time.Thats just what i observe and some super mods too.Also,i believe if they were even sleeping,they sleep with one eye open ;D

Dont worry about it sizta,the forum is in safe hands :statisfie They will take care of it.Don't waste your energy thinking about trolls.Create another banner for my timeline :statisfie

P.S.I seriously don't believe Body's were trolls.They were interesting.I like them :hmm:

dqsunday
05-25-2012, 07:42 PM
I didn't even know there was a report button...then it took me a few minutes to find it... Its on the left side right above the 'reply to Thread' button. its the triangle with a ! symbol on it. Just in case other newbies here need help finding it. It may be easier to just change the symbol into a word 'report'

AabiruSabeel
09-24-2012, 04:06 AM

The best way to deal with troll post(s) is to use the report button

until it gets noticed by the mods.

PurpleCup
09-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Yes, this happens to all websites. I even have deleted thousands of them on my website, but they cannot bother other members because they need to be approved first and by that point I just delete them, but its very common in all websites where members join.

sister herb
09-27-2012, 11:09 PM
In forums admins/mods learn to know soon trolls how they write and behave and for scammers and spammers here are some sites to find IP numbers they use.

marwen
09-28-2012, 10:56 AM
^ Unfortunately, ip address does not help too much. :/

The problem is that most of internet providers give dynamic IP to clients, so everytime you reboot your modem, you eventually get a new public IP. This makes the IP information useless.

You can have the same IP range (which informs approximately about your geographic location), but not the same exact IP.
Add to that the use of tools like proxies to hide your IP (and use a fake one).
The only solution, let's say the person does not use a fake IP, is to register the dynamic IP of that person and the time of his connection, and contact his ISP (internet service provider) in his country and ask them to dig in their servers log and find out which person was using that dynamic IP at that instant of time. And this work needs a lot of judicial procedures and a lot of expenses and takes too long time (so many webmasters don't want to do that).

You see, working with people on Internet is a little bit difficult. So the only solution IMO is to make your website as secure as possible, and to count on mods/admins to be always vigilant and take quick actions.

sister herb
09-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Admins of forums are genius. Without that they wouldn´t be admins.

:shade:

sister herb
09-28-2012, 11:01 AM
http://www.stopforumspam.com/

for example

marwen
09-28-2012, 11:07 AM
^ that could help a little bit, but it remains ineffective with stubbern trolls, we can instantly block a troll untill he changes his coordinates and log in again.

sister herb
09-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Scammers:

http://www.stop-scammers.com/

Spammers behave by two different ways. They send posts or just only private messages to members, at most forums they don´t send them to any moderators or admins. Scammers send usually private messages where they tell some heartbreaking story and ask help and contact. After contact they ask some money... bye to your money after that.

If you think here is member who behaves strange way or sends strange posts or pms, check name by these links I posted.

sister herb
09-28-2012, 12:00 PM
So called trolls... they are more difficult. Just be aware and report to admin if you think someone is not real.

:shade:

Bintulislam
11-10-2013, 10:27 PM
I've never seen people being trolled here. Alhamdulillah. This place is very decent.

Anas Lewis
11-18-2013, 10:06 PM
I like the fact that this forum is consistently, strictly and actively moderated. The admin(s) done an amazing job with the staff promotions, mashallah.

AabiruSabeel
08-18-2016, 03:01 AM
:salam:

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

On occasion, like all sites, we do get bombarded with organized troll attacks. There are ways that everybody can make these attakcs short term and assist in the clean up. I'm just going to post a few suggestions on what we each can do.

1, Do not panic. Even if it appears no mod or admin is online, there nearly always is somebody online.

2. Do not respond to any trolls, this only makes it difficult for the mods to do a speedy deletion. Above all do not use the quote feature. This makes removal of the post very difficult and can become very confusing in hunting the posts down. It can also appear that you have done the original post and if we are trying to do mass deletions, it also can cause you to be banned along with the troll if we are doing a group banning as in haste we may see your post as an original and not as a quote.

3. Use the report button. It is impossible for us to viw every new thread or post. The help and conern of the Members is probably the best anti-troll weapon avi;able, but it will not work unless members use the report button. Remember if you can see a post that needs deletion, it means no mod has seen it. Once a mod sees a nasty post it is gone in less than a minute. So hit that button if you see a nasty.

4.Do not start any threads about the attack. When we are in a rush deleting and banning, it can be difficult to seperate the trolls from posts about the trolls.

5. Use the report button. If a mod is online it will be acted on almost immediately. PM a staff member only as a last resort, if you do not see the offensive post disappearing after 15 minutes
format_quote Originally Posted by ibn-Adam
.The best way to deal with troll post(s) is to use the report button

until it gets noticed by the mods.

Alhamdulillah, we have not witnessed any major troll attacks in recent history. But in case it happens again, I want to share a little secret here for all our members. Collectively, you all can fight troll posts if no moderator is online. How?

In addition to the useful tips given in the quoted posts above,

- Keep reporting the post. When at least 3 different members report the same post, it gets hidden automatically. To report a post, use the

button.

- If a troll starts a thread, report the first post of the thread only. That will be enough to hide the whole thread.

Enjoy posting : )

Umm Abed
08-18-2016, 07:51 AM

That is the most amazing feature where trolls get zapped with three reports, excellent!

Aaqib
08-18-2016, 10:11 AM
Huh, thanks for bumping this.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!