/* */

PDA

View Full Version : reading a short surah after Fatiya?

safr
12-19-2009, 12:49 PM
I have a question about praying salat,

When is a person supposed to recite the additional Surahs?

For example i know in 2 fard salat (like fajr) you read Surah Fatiya and after saying "ameen" you can read a Surah like "Qul huw Allah hu Ahad..." then you go down in Rukuh and you do this in both rakat 1 and 2, reading a different surah each time.

But is 4 Fard salat, in each Rakat when you say "ameen" do you read a short Surah? or do you only do it rakats 1 and 2 ?

also what about 4 Nafl, do you have to read a Surah in any of the rakats? and what about in 2 Sunnah or 4 Sunnah, are you supposed to recite short surahs afrer Fatiyah?

and what about Witr, rakats 1 and 2 you read a Surah rite, and in the 3rd rakat you read Dua Qanoot? (Allah huma inna anastinu ka...)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
12-19-2009, 09:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by safr
For example i know in 2 fard salat (like fajr) you read Surah Fatiya and after saying "ameen" you can read a Surah like "Qul huw Allah hu Ahad..." then you go down in Rukuh and you do this in both rakat 1 and 2, reading a different surah each time.
It is recommended to do recitation of a longer portion of the Qur'an in the fardh raka'aat of salaatul Fajr. So if you know only short surahs, do the longest ones you know by heart. Otherwise short is fine. Recommended surahs for the sunnah raka'aat of Fajr are Surah al-Kaafiroon in 1st raka'ah and Surah al-Ikhlaas in 2nd raka'ah, which the Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam used to read.

format_quote Originally Posted by safr
But is 4 Fard salat, in each Rakat when you say "ameen" do you read a short Surah? or do you only do it rakats 1 and 2 ?
If it is four raka'aat fardh, then you only recite a surah after Surah al-Fatihah in raka'ahs one and two.

also what about 4 Nafl, do you have to read a Surah in any of the rakats? and what about in 2 Sunnah or 4 Sunnah, are you supposed to recite short surahs afrer Fatiyah?
Four raka'aat nafl are usually split two and two (i.e two raka'ahs with tashahhud and salam), and yes needs a surah after Surah al-Fatihah in each raka'ah. And yes, sunnah raka'ahs need a surah after Surah al-Fatihah in each raka'ah.

and what about Witr, rakats 1 and 2 you read a Surah rite, and in the 3rd rakat you read Dua Qanoot? (Allah huma inna anastinu ka...)
For witr, the recommended surahs from the sunnah of the Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam are Surah al-A'laa for the first raka'ah, Surah al-Kaafiroon for the second raka'ah and Surah al-Ikhlaas in the third raka'ah followed by du'aa Qunoot. So all three raka'aat need a Surah after Fatihah.

Allah knows best.

:sl:

safr
12-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Jazakallah for the reply insaan, but just to clarify, perhaps it would be easier if i ask... at what times do you not read a Surah after surah al-fatiya?

Generally i read a surah after every fatiyah regardless of if its fard, sunnnah, nafl but now i realise this is not proper

noorseeker
12-19-2009, 11:54 PM
You dont read a surah in rakats 3 and 4 of the zuhr fard
3 and 4 of asr fard
3 of mahgrib fard
3 and 4 of isha fard

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
safr
12-20-2009, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
You dont read a surah in rakats 3 and 4 of the zuhr fard
3 and 4 of asr fard
3 of mahgrib fard
3 and 4 of isha fard
That makes perfect sense, thankyou and jazakallah khair.

tango92
12-21-2009, 07:53 PM
basically in every namaz, first two rakats

zakirs
12-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks a lot it helped me clear my doubts too :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.