/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos

TrialByFire
12-19-2009, 02:36 PM
This is another thing that is confusing me.

I have a friend who is a downline of Sheikh and yet he has tattoos on his arms ... these are permanent tatts and not the henna type.

As I know, Islam prohibits tatts on us ... unless, I am missing something here? I was also told that it is okay to have ink in your skin ... but as I said earlier, tatts are not allowed ... hence my confusion. I hope to seek some clarifications.

Thanks!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Yusuf Saeed
12-19-2009, 02:55 PM
:salamext:

The majority of scholars hold a view that permament tattoos are forbidden.

Maybe that friend of yours wasn't a practicing Muslim all the time and that's why he has them. For example I know a convert to Islam who's studying in Medina now but also has a tattoo on his arm, obviously from his life before Islam.

Anyways, here's one fatwa about the tattoos being not permissible:

In his well-known book, The Lawful and the Prohibited in Islam, the prominent Muslim scholar, Sheik Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, states:

“Islam denounces excesses in beautifying oneself when it alters the physical features that Allah created him with. The Glorious Qur'an considers such alterations as inspired by Satan, who "...will command them (his devotees) to change what Allah has created...” (An-Nisa': 119)

Tattooing is one of those excesses. The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have cursed the tattooer and the tattooed. (Reported by Muslim)

Tattooing permanently disfigures the face and other parts of the body with colored pigment and repulsive designs. Some Arabs, especially women, are in the habit of tattooing large areas of their bodies. People of certain religious sects tattoo pictures of their deities or religious rituals on their hands and chests. The pain and agony that the person experiences from the needles piercing skin add to these images. Because of all of this, both the tattooer and the one who is tattooed have been cursed.”

TrialByFire
12-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Thank you for your clarification, Mr. Yusuf.

That was what I thought - the reason why it's prohibited is because Allah has made us all (to me, anyway) perfect and if there is an imperfection, there must be a reason behind it. I don't think putting ink to one's skin is a smart move but at the same time, I do not judge the people that have tatts. It made me wonder though .. as to why one would want to do it.

Thank you, again.

ardianto
12-21-2009, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TrialByFire
This is another thing that is confusing me.

I have a friend who is a downline of Sheikh and yet he has tattoos on his arms ... these are permanent tatts and not the henna type.

As I know, Islam prohibits tatts on us ... unless, I am missing something here? I was also told that it is okay to have ink in your skin ... but as I said earlier, tatts are not allowed ... hence my confusion. I hope to seek some clarifications.

Thanks!
:sl:

Is your friend Shia ?.
I found in Shia's forum, tattoo is not forbidden in Shia.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ssaraireh
12-31-2009, 03:44 AM
I have a tattoo, but I got it before I converted to Islam. I wish now that I hadn't gotten it, but Insh'Allah, I will be forgiven for what i did before Islam.

The reason I got it.... *cringe* i was young, and silly, thought it would be cool, and look "nice" I had a reason for the design i chose, A blue rose with thorns, to show the one I planned to be with, that I am a rare a beutiful thing, but I have my thorns.... *sighs* not the best reasoning behind it, but... as i said, i was young and foolish.

It did hurt... like a tiny cat clawing at my skin for an hour.... ouch! and while it still looks like it did when i got it, my skin is all raised and bumpy, and I really wish i hadn't gotten it.

Alphadude
12-31-2009, 03:47 AM
i got 2 tattoos

Sawdah
12-31-2009, 03:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ssaraireh
I have a tattoo, but I got it before I converted to Islam. I wish now that I hadn't gotten it, but Insh'Allah, I will be forgiven for what i did before Islam.

The reason I got it.... *cringe* i was young, and silly, thought it would be cool, and look "nice" I had a reason for the design i chose, A blue rose with thorns, to show the one I planned to be with, that I am a rare a beutiful thing, but I have my thorns.... *sighs* not the best reasoning behind it, but... as i said, i was young and foolish.

It did hurt... like a tiny cat clawing at my skin for an hour.... ouch! and while it still looks like it did when i got it, my skin is all raised and bumpy, and I really wish i hadn't gotten it.
We all regret things we've done in the past, but we learn from them and ask Allah to forgive us.
Though, in your case, since you got yours before you converted, your sins before Islam are all wiped away alhamdulillah.:statisfie

Humbler_359
12-31-2009, 08:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by khalid84
i got 2 tattoos
:sl: Brother,

Are you sure Islam didn't prohibit 2 tattoos? when?

GuestFellow
12-31-2009, 08:45 AM
i got 2 tattoos

Tattoos are haraam, you need to remove them.

Alphadude
12-31-2009, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow

Tattoos are haraam, you need to remove them.
i dont have that kinda money to remove theme it costs alot of money and pain is to much dont ask try youtube and u will see how they remove the tatts by laser

EDIT

ACTUALY I DONT MIND THE PAIN THATS WHY I HAD THIS TATTOO AND EVERY ONE HAS TATTS BCOZ THATS WHY

Sawdah
12-31-2009, 05:19 PM
i dont have that kinda money to remove theme it costs alot of money and pain is to much dont ask try youtube and u will see how they remove the tatts by laser

EDIT

ACTUALY I DONT MIND THE PAIN THATS WHY I HAD THIS TATTOO AND EVERY ONE HAS TATTS BCOZ THATS WHY
:exhausted ...you got it because you wanted to feel the pain?
read this :

Question:
Are Tattoos Haram in Islam ? if not , which symbols are haram ? I know hurting the body on purpose is Haram , but if tattoo doesnt hurt the body , is it still Haram , can u please clear all that for me.

Praise be to Allaah.

Tattooing, in which the skin is pierced with a needle and a blue or other coloured dye is injected, is haraam in all forms, whether it causes pain or not, because it involves changing the creation of Allaah, and because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does tattoos and the one for whom that is done. In al-Saheehayn it is narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “May Allaah curse the women who do tattoos and those for whom tattoos are done, those who pluck their eyebrows and those who file their teeth for the purpose of beautification and alter the creation of Allaah.” (al-Bukhaari, al-Libaas, 5587; Muslim, al-Libaas, 5538)...
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/20283/tattoo

I hope that helps inshallah.

GuestFellow
12-31-2009, 05:52 PM

EDIT

Well save up the money and do what you can to get rid of it.

Humbler_359
12-31-2009, 08:57 PM

Brother, what about good Muslims friends, you want to be with them instead some has tattoos or vampires/gothic?

Are you still create a great website regarding free Islamic videos or notes, I like it, what's name of website again? Are you still working on it?

Alphadude
01-02-2010, 01:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Humbler_359

Brother, what about good Muslims friends, you want to be with them instead some has tattoos or vampires/gothic?

Are you still create a great website regarding free Islamic videos or notes, I like it, what's name of website again? Are you still working on it?
goths are good people some people think they are evil but they are not they dont worship satan they are just defferent looking human being.

hmmm and for the website yes its still online but im thinking about shuting it down bcoz our fellow muslim brothers and sister did not support me so will be shut down soon i have made post to sell it if not then i will shut it down btw here is the link http://share-islam.co.cc/

Italianguy
01-02-2010, 05:19 AM
I have a tattoo as well but its okay because my sins were forgiven when i reverted to........oh wait.....haven't done that:hmm::D

Anyway for those who want to remove their tatts try "wrecking Balm" I will just post the site and you can read about it. I'm not sure if Islamic scholors will aprove of it so you should research this first.

http://www.wreckingbalm.com/m/

I have to say, it didn't remove my tattoo, but it faded it , A LOT! almost unoticable. Then i got the laser removal, which was much cheaper because the tat was so faded. It usually costs around $800.00 per sqr inch for the surgery, so this is a cheap alternative. Hope this helps:D

God be with you.

FAISAL85
03-06-2010, 04:49 PM
AHH!!! yeah i have a desire to get a tattoo... across my back, i wanted to always get it after i got my black belt in karate... but i took my shahada 1 year ago.. i wish i rememberd the exact date, im very sad that i dont..
but anyway, i told my dad, jokingly, knowing exactly what he was going to say that i wanted to get a tattoo.. he almost collapsed lol.
He said, Allah SWT says (not verbatim) but he brings you too this world with as is, and wants you to return as is..
and that when you die, your body speaks to Allah and says what you have done to your body, good and bad.
anyway, inshallah i wont get one, and its a good thing my father dislikes them very much because i might be inclined to get one out of ignorace.
but yes Tattoos are haram. RIGHT????

ardianto
03-06-2010, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FAISAL85
Right ...... !!!

Italianguy
03-07-2010, 03:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FAISAL85
AHH!!! yeah i have a desire to get a tattoo... across my back, i wanted to always get it after i got my black belt in karate... but i took my shahada 1 year ago.. i wish i rememberd the exact date, im very sad that i dont..
but anyway, i told my dad, jokingly, knowing exactly what he was going to say that i wanted to get a tattoo.. he almost collapsed lol.
He said, Allah SWT says (not verbatim) but he brings you too this world with as is, and wants you to return as is..
and that when you die, your body speaks to Allah and says what you have done to your body, good and bad.
anyway, inshallah i wont get one, and its a good thing my father dislikes them very much because i might be inclined to get one out of ignorace.
Plus.....when mia madre sees you gotta tat.......she gonna slap it off of you:raging:.lol

when my mother saw mine, it was the same day I got it. I showed it to her because she said to let her see it, in a tone that i thought was nice...like she didn't care........i carefully pulled up my sleave..it still hurt.....And she SMACKED IT!!!:raging::raging::raging::raging: And cursed me in 10,000 Italian words! And smacked me again saying to get it taken off! She tried to wash it off with pumice stone soap!!! My skin was bleeding raw!

So before this turns into the horror story it is......moral of story.....just look at the tattoo on paper.....then walk away thinking of what my mother will do to you;D .........Plus, My family is from Astoria Queens, so we may live right next door to you!!!!:nervous: And my mother doesn't care if your Muslim or the pope himself.....she's going to get that tattoo of your arm.....or worse, wherever you get it:embarrass:phew

God be with you....your going to need Him if mia madre gets ahold of you;D

S<Chowdhury
03-07-2010, 03:37 PM
HAHA LOOOL ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that story would apply to me aswell if i ever did get a tattoo which will never happen. To the OP:

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

As for your question, you have to keep in mind the fact that body piercing, tattooing, branding, etc. all fall in the category of unnecessary interference, alteration and mutilation of Allah’s creation. Therefore, no Muslim, who is conscious of his religion, should ever contemplate such activities.

In his well-known book, The Lawful and the Prohibited in Islam, the prominent Muslim scholar, Sheik Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, states:

“Islam denounces excesses in beautifying oneself when it alters the physical features that Allah created him with. The Glorious Qur'an considers such alterations as inspired by Satan, who "...will command them (his devotees) to change what Allah has created...” (An-Nisa': 119)

Tattooing is one of those excesses. The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have cursed the tattooer and the tattooed. (Reported by Muslim)

Tattooing permanently disfigures the face and other parts of the body with colored pigment and repulsive designs. Some Arabs, especially women, are in the habit of tattooing large areas of their bodies. People of certain religious sects tattoo pictures of their deities or religious rituals on their hands and chests. The pain and agony that the person experiences from the needles piercing skin add to these images. Because of all of this, both the tattooer and the one who is tattooed have been cursed.”

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...#ixzz0hVPN2fxO

S<Chowdhury
03-07-2010, 03:54 PM
^^^^^^ Great we are in business then :), I'll start bidding. Oh on another note a answer about body piercing for males:

First of all, it should be made clear that it is permissible for women only to pierce their ears as a form of enhancing their beauty. The proof of this permission is based on the Hadith of Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, when he prayed on the day of `Eid and came with Bilal, his Companion, he ordered the women to pay Zakah, and some of them took their earrings off and threw it (donated it) to the Prophet. (Reported in Bukhari)

As to the piercing of the nose, it isn't allowed for both sexes because it is a type of deformation to Allah’s creation.

Focusing more on the question in point, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“According to the teachings of Islam, our body - including all of our physical faculties - is a trust from Allah and we are required to protect and preserve it according to the best of our ability. Consequently, we are not allowed to alter or tamper with our physical faculties unnecessarily; we are only permitted to interfere with them in order to correct a natural deformity or repair or remedy an ailment. Any other form of interference or tampering with our body is akin to altering Allah’s creation which has been condemned in the Qur’an.

We read in the Qur’an that Satan, the accursed one, has pledged to Allah that he will be tirelessly working to lead humans unto ways of perdition and self-destruction: “… ‘And I will surely lead them astray, and arouse desires in them, and command them and they will cut the cattle’s ears, and I will surely command them and they will change Allah’s creation.’ Whoever chooses the Devil for a friend instead of Allah is assuredly a loser, and his loss is manifest.” (An-Nisa’: 119)

While reflecting on the above verse, we must also read the following statements of Allah in the Qur’an: “There is no altering Allah’s creation.” (Ar-Rum: 30); “And do not cast yourselves into destruction by your own hands.” (Al-Baqarah: 195).

In light of the above, body piercing, tattooing, branding, etc. all fall in the category of unnecessary interference, alteration and mutilation of Allah’s creation. Therefore, no Muslim, who is conscious of his religion, should ever contemplate such activities.

Neither are such procedures harmless, physical refinements as they are often imagined to be. Rather the truth is that these procedures have often been associated with numerous health hazards. For sensitive parts of the body such as tongues, lips, eyelids, etc. are more prone to be easily infected, and thus become infected with diseases, some of which may even be fatal. There is nothing at all surprising about all of these, for every unnecessary tampering with Allah’s creation is bound to produce adverse repercussions.

In Islam, all such acts that entail possible health hazards are considered totally forbidden even if they contain some imagined or presumed benefits; such presumed benefits are considered as being outweighed by the hazards. This fact alone warrants declaring body piercing as forbidden.

The only exception some scholars and jurists have made in this context is the case of ear piercing specifically for females. This is so because of the specific need of women to wear jewelry. Men, however, according to Islam, have no such need. In fact, Islam forbids men from copying styles that are distinctively feminine. The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Allah has cursed men who copy women as well as women who copy men.” It should be remembered here both men and women have different roles in Islam.

It is also worth mentioning in this respect that ear piercing is somewhat different; for there are fewer hazards in ear piercing as compared to piercing of tongues, lips and eye-lids, etc.

Still another consideration strengthening the case for declaring body piercing as forbidden for males: Islam forbids us from copying other people in their specific customs and life-style without any tangible benefits. Such copying has been condemned by the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him.

In conclusion: Body piercing for males is not at all permissible in Islam. Ear piercing has been permitted for females, according to some scholars. Such an exception, however, does not apply to males.”

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...#ixzz0hVTsD7i4

Raphael
03-07-2010, 04:13 PM
The human body is a work of art.

Painting over it is like letting a toddler loose on the Mona Lisa with some crayons.

Danah
03-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Seriously!! who will ruin his skin with those weird drawings? This is not something temporary you can wash with soap whenever you feel like change! I don't know how people think sometimes!! :hmm:

SubhanAllah! everything in Islam has a reason behind it whether to allow it or not.

For those who removed it, I wonder does it leave any mark on the skin? I wonder if they get back the old the color of the skin :?

M..x
03-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Nose peircings arent allowed??!?! is this the majority opinion? =( </3

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.