/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear?

Raaina
12-21-2009, 04:46 PM
:sl:

So, tomorrow I have a job interview - which is nerve wrecking enough as i've been out of work for a while now, i'm pretty nervous +o(

Anyway, I was just wondering, what do Muslima women wear for interviews? How do you do the whole covering up while looking smart?

Suggestions and websites would be useful :statisfie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
12-21-2009, 04:51 PM
hmmm that's a tuff 1 since I'm not a women, but pray 2 rakat before you go and make dua to Allah. jus try ur best that's all u can do and leave it 2 Allah.

Raaina
12-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Thank you for your advice brother, it's much appricated :)

By the way, who's Rakat?

Salahudeen
12-21-2009, 04:56 PM
LOL alhamdulilah 2 units of prayer, you know, like you go down to prostration 4 times all together.

like fajar salah is 2 units (Rakat) of prayer. but just offer a voluntary 2 units of prayer before you go.

am I making any sense?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Raaina
12-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Ohhhh I thought you said 2 Rakat like it was praying to someone/something :embarrass ooppss.

I know what you mean now, thanks :)

جوري
12-21-2009, 04:59 PM
stick with black, navy blue or gray suits, they are the only ones of accepted color, if you wear a navy suit then black shoes of very conservative 2 or 2 1/2 inch heels are acceptable. I recommend that the scarf be smart and silk from a respectable store like brooks brothers and if you can't afford their pricing then look on ebay.. if you can afford better then go for an hermes scarf because they specialize in making them for decades. Try to take an appointment and have a fashion expert in a particular store get back to you with good matching pieces. Tell them exactly what you want. Whenever I shop for a suit I have a talk with someone about the occasion and what I am looking for, that way if they don't have an item in the store they'll call and get it for you. (it is a free service) for wide leg pant suits I'd look into anntaylor.com or jcrew.com
I'd pair any of the above colored suits with either a crisp white blouse/shirt or a light pink (goes really well with gray) navy blue can also be coupled with a lighter blue shirt..

All the best for your interview insha'Allah

:w:

Salahudeen
12-21-2009, 04:59 PM
lol. ok khair alhamdulilah. may Allah give you the job if it's good for you ameen.

cat eyes
12-21-2009, 05:11 PM
inshaAllah you will get the job and dont worry if you don't get it. it just means that Allah will find you a better job :)

transition?
12-21-2009, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
stick with black, navy blue or gray suits, they are the only ones of accepted color, if you wear a navy suit then black shoes of very conservative 2 or 2 1/2 inch heels are acceptable. I recommend that the scarf be smart and silk from a respectable store like brooks brothers and if you can't afford their pricing then look on ebay.. if you can afford better then go for an hermes scarf because they specialize in making them for decades. Try to take an appointment and have a fashion expert in a particular store get back to you with good matching pieces. Tell them exactly what you want. Whenever I shop for a suit I have a talk with someone about the occasion and what I am looking for, that way if they don't have an item in the store they'll call and get it for you. (it is a free service) for wide leg pant suits I'd look into anntaylor.com or jcrew.com
I'd pair any of the above colored suits with either a crisp white blouse/shirt or a light pink (goes really well with gray) navy blue can also be coupled with a lighter blue shirt..

All the best for your interview insha'Allah

Please avoid J.Crew. They are one of the companies that give piece of their profits to Israel.

:wa:

جوري
12-21-2009, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?

Please avoid J.Crew. They are one of the companies that give piece of their profits to Israel.

I prefer anntaylor.com and brooksbrothers personally however both stores at the moment (including jcrew) are out of suits, I have just checked and they have end of season separates.. at this stage I'd try macys/ lord&taylor /saks or bloomingdales although their quality isn't all that good and the suits are unflattering.

If in England, then I'd try that big store that belongs to that egyptian guy.. i forget the name (the one whose son died with diana)

and if all else fails, then I'd just purchase the material and take it to an excellent seamstress that specializes in suits.. the only perk of this is that you have control over the material, lining and length of jacket (as it seems this season's jackets are all somewhat short) ..

IbnAbdulHakim
12-21-2009, 07:02 PM
i normally wear jeans/shirt and jumper if its cold with my casual jacket

and i never ever get bad feedback and got a job by wearing that in a very prestigeous place Alhamdulillaah :)

UmmSqueakster
12-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

I have a suit from shukr, but alas, they don't sell them anymore :hmm: I usually wear the whole thing to interviews, but take off the suit coat when I arrive. Then I'm left with something like this:

All of my work skirts are from shukr, and a few tops. My usual work outfit is a shukr skirt, plus a long sleeve button down top, turtle neck or sweater from Target or Christopher and Banks. C&B has AWESOME clearanced items. I never buy anything there full price - just wait a few months and it will be CHEAP. Granted, it's not as good as a few years ago when you could buy tops for $2, but it's still a really good deal.

I'm currently wearing this skirt in jean blue, this sweater in a lighter green and an orange scarf.

Rabi'ya
12-21-2009, 07:14 PM

I went for a job interview last year and alhamdulillah got the job ( im still there) I wore a long black skirt, and a jumper(which I think was a dark purple plum colour. then I wore a dark purple scarf too. I just wore my black boots,rather than shoes. It was winter when i had the interview too. Also it depends where you are working. If I am going to training days, where I dont have to wear my uniform( i work for social services) I wear an abaya witha jumper on top, or a cardigan. Personally, I dont like wearing trousers outside, unless its under my abaya.

I will keep you in my duaas tomorrow inshAllah

May Allah give yo uwhat is good for you...ameen

Salahudeen
12-21-2009, 07:15 PM

^ that's a great outfit I think, it looks westernized and modest. perfect blend. not revealing anything either.

Rabi'ya
12-21-2009, 07:24 PM
try wearing the skirt with something like this

and top it with a ncie matching scarf. either black or purple you can accessorise well too :)

Raaina
12-21-2009, 07:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
i normally wear jeans/shirt and jumper if its cold with my casual jacket

and i never ever get bad feedback and got a job by wearing that in a very prestigeous place Alhamdulillaah :)
You wear jeans to an interview?

Rabi'ya
12-21-2009, 07:45 PM
I personally wouldnt wear jeans to an interview, Even before I started covering. maybe its differnt for guys

IbnAbdulHakim
12-21-2009, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
You wear jeans to an interview?
the letter said "nothing offensive" and everything else was permitted. I took it to heart.

جوري
12-21-2009, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
the letter said "nothing offensive" and everything else was permitted. I took it to heart.
you need to be a rebel with mucho confidence to pull that off.. I salute you.. ;D

Insaanah
12-21-2009, 08:02 PM
you need to be a rebel with mucho confidence to pull that off.. I salute you.. ;D
Perhaps I did the same thing (rebelling, that is)! I decided I didn't want to conform to the typical and expected (in the Western world) suit - be it a trouser suit or a skirt suit. So I went in my national costume with a jacket and matching scarf. They could either take me as I was, or leave me, but thats how it was gonna be. I wasn't going to change for them.

It did me no harm, alhamdulillah.

In hindsight, I now think I should have worn a jilbaab...

جوري
12-21-2009, 08:19 PM
my personal opinion is that you get one first impression, and afterward you can be as colorful as you want to be.. I'd have to have a mighty impressive resume i.e my name is enough to put on paper to have places kowtowing and begging me to work for them before I show up in a national costume or a polka dot bow tie. In my entire career I only came across one man who could do this and get away with it and that is Dr. k.P Wang. But I think even he shows up in regular garb even if he is colorful in other ways..

zakirs
12-21-2009, 08:24 PM

All the best sister for your interview.Stick with formals and black should do .. avoid bright colors. I just had my int few days back. Also if you need to use some thing other than black may be lightblue or white would be best .

Raaina
12-21-2009, 08:51 PM
You know I hate wearing all black to interviews, feels like i'm going to a funeral or something :(

جوري
12-21-2009, 09:19 PM
get a suit like this in dark gray

and wear a light pink cashmere sweater underneath..

desert winds
12-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Interviews always make me feel uncomfortable. For a women its hard to decide what to wear.
If its a informal interview i normally stick some jeans on with a shirt, i dont bother with a head scarf then since it doesnt go well with jeans.
If its formal, i wear a skirt with a the 2in 1 tops vneck and shirt, then wrap a fancy scarf around the neck with some dangly earrings. Heels go best with skirts.

UmmSqueakster
12-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Another thought, check out this UK hijab blog's workwear selection - http://hijabstyle.blogspot.com/search/label/workwear - lots of outfits from mainstream stores hijabified.

http://www.taakhi.co.uk/userimages/procart4.htm - has some mashaAllah awesome professional looking pinstriped abayas that you wear with different shirts underneath.

Raaina
12-23-2009, 08:30 AM

Thank you all for your kind words, my interview seemed to ok well (by my standards anyway)

Some very nice websites with some beautiful clothing on,

thanks all for sharing :statisfie

zakirs
12-23-2009, 08:32 AM

Thank you all for your kind words, my interview seemed to ok well (by my standards anyway)

Some very nice websites with some beautiful clothing on,

thanks all for sharing :statisfie
All the best sister. Do inform us of the good news

Rabi'ya
01-02-2010, 11:49 PM
any news on the interview??

Raaina
01-05-2010, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~SilverOrchid~
any news on the interview??
Sadly not yet :( I fear this was maybe not the job for me :cry:

layla is here
01-05-2010, 10:10 PM
I just went for a job interview and I wore a black long sleeve sweater over a white skirt, with a white al amira hijab. The job interview seemed to go well but I haven't heard anything...it's only been one day though.

zakirs
01-06-2010, 06:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by layla is here
I just went for a job interview and I wore a black long sleeve sweater over a white skirt, with a white al amira hijab. The job interview seemed to go well but I haven't heard anything...it's only been one day though.
All the best for the job sister.Hope you hear good news soon.

Italianguy
01-06-2010, 06:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by layla is here
You will get the position.:D

Raaina
01-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Ok so my first interview I guess I didn't get because I didn't hear anything :(

Now I have another interview tomorrow :)

Italianguy
01-10-2010, 03:36 PM

May God grant you what is in his will.Ameen

I like your avatar, thats one of the best i have seen yet.lol

Raaina
01-10-2010, 08:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
May God grant you what is in his will.Ameen

I like your avatar, thats one of the best i have seen yet.lol
Thank you Italianguy :)

Your avatar is pretty awsome to :statisfie

Asiyaah
01-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Aww Sister, don't get discouraged if you don't hear back about your interview. It's so hard to find jobs anywhere in the world these days. Try to stay positive. I'm struggling to find a new job myself, can't seem to get out of the call centres. Trust Allah and He will give us good jobs, inshallah. :statisfie

Cabdullahi
01-10-2010, 09:07 PM

Inshallah you'll get what allah has ordained for you no one can take that away from you

Donia
01-10-2010, 09:13 PM

I'm sorry you didn't get the job, sis.
I hope Allah will provide you with something better and that will be beneficial for you insha'Allah.

Italianguy
01-10-2010, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zaira
Aww Sister, don't get discouraged if you don't hear back about your interview. It's so hard to find jobs anywhere in the world these days. Try to stay positive. I'm struggling to find a new job myself, can't seem to get out of the call centres. Trust Allah and He will give us good jobs, inshallah. :statisfie
lol, so you are the one calling me all the time offering better rates;D(call centers);D

Just kidding......and no i am not interested in lowering my intrest rate on my American Express card;D;D

Just kidding, i don't have credit cards anyway:D

Asiyaah
01-12-2010, 07:47 PM
lol, so you are the one calling me all the time offering better rates;D(call centers);D

Just kidding......and no i am not interested in lowering my intrest rate on my American Express card;D;D

Just kidding, i don't have credit cards anyway:D
HAHA, thankfully no. I'm the person you call to get tech support for your apple computer :p

Raaina
01-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Looks like i'm not going to get this job either *sigh* imsad

Cabdullahi
01-12-2010, 07:56 PM
HAHA, thankfully no. I'm the person you call to get tech support for your apple computer :p
she dont know jack bout computers!! she probably works at the canteen and makes coffee for the tech support 'guys'

Im joking!

Cabdullahi
01-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Sister dont say that.....be optimistic!

you'll get what allah has ordained for you and no one can prevent you from having what allah has given to you

Asiyaah
01-12-2010, 08:05 PM
OH NO. I'm sorry Sister. imsad These jobs must not right for you. Don't give up. Allah has His plans for us. What type of industry are you trying to get into?

Asiyaah
01-12-2010, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
she dont know jack bout computers!! she probably works at the canteen and makes coffee for the tech support 'guys'

Im joking!
HA! I wish bro LOL. Then I wouldn't wouldn't have to tell men where the power button is on their $3000 computers :p

Raaina
01-12-2010, 08:13 PM
OH NO. I'm sorry Sister. imsad These jobs must not right for you. Don't give up. Allah has His plans for us. What type of industry are you trying to get into?
Any job, i'm prepared to do anything.

nevermind eh, gotta keep your chin up and carry on.

Asiyaah
01-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Any job, i'm prepared to do anything.

nevermind eh, gotta keep your chin up and carry on.
Yes you gotta keep your chin up. Finding a job is never a fun task. And I do think being a visible muslim woman makes it even more challenging. I will remember you in my dua.

Cabdullahi
01-12-2010, 08:18 PM
HA! I wish bro LOL. Then I wouldn't wouldn't have to tell men where the power button is on their $3000 computers :p
Ok lets test the canteen lady

In computers what is meant by the term ''volatile memory'' ?

NO GOOGLE! :raging:

Raaina
01-12-2010, 08:21 PM

Can anyone answer this question? ;D

Cabdullahi
01-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Can anyone answer this question? ;D
Your a web developer you should know or are you a potato wedges developer at the canteen like our sister above?

Asiyaah
01-12-2010, 08:27 PM

You mean RAM? :P

Italianguy
01-12-2010, 08:42 PM
I thought it was RAM too?:hmm: or like RAM? Isn't it like secondary storage? Like a zip drive? or something similar? :hmm:

Italianguy
01-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Ohhhhhh....I have Toshiba's;D I think the mac books and Mac air notebooks look awesome and would really help with autocad and my engineering stuff but,.....i go through to many computers in a year to be spending that much:p

Raaina
01-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Your a web developer you should know or are you a potato wedges developer at the canteen like our sister above?
Obviously I know what it is, but I wasn't sure if you were asking someone specific or anyone who wanted to answer it :statisfie

Asiyaah
01-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Ohhhhhh....I have Toshiba's;D I think the mac books and Mac air notebooks look awesome and would really help with autocad and my engineering stuff but,.....i go through to many computers in a year to be spending that much:p
well if you had a macbook pro you shouldn't need to go through so many computers :P

But autocad won't run natively on mac os x, tho you could use bootcamp or a windows emulator.

Prolly more work than it's worth in your case. :p

Italianguy
01-12-2010, 10:06 PM
well if you had a macbook pro you shouldn't need to go through so many computers :P

But autocad won't run natively on mac os x, tho you could use bootcamp or a windows emulator.

Prolly more work than it's worth in your case. :p
I fight back and forth getting one:p I think their awesome butttttttt.....

Asiyaah
01-14-2010, 04:53 PM
I fight back and forth getting one:p I think their awesome butttttttt.....
LOL - I understand. If you take the leap and convert to mac come to me with your questions I'll give ya a hand :statisfie

cat eyes
01-14-2010, 05:09 PM
keep on looking sis and never give up. i have been to cold to go out and look for a job ;D its freezing outside so i have been just applying online everywhere

sabr*
01-15-2010, 06:06 AM
سم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Bismillā hir Rahmā nir Rahīm
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

اشْهَدُ انْ لّآ اِلهَ اِلَّا اللّهُ وَ اَشْهَدُ اَنَّ مُحَمَّدً اعَبْدُه وَ رسوله

Ašh hadu al-lā ilāha illā-llāhu, wa ašh hadu anna Muhammadun ‘abduhu wa rasūluhu
I bear witness that none is worthy of worship but Allah, the One alone, without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Everything is already decreed. If an employer hires you they benefit and they don't hire you they will not benefit from your skills. It is their lost.

The Challenges that confront the Muslimah in the workplace are understood and realized.

Surah Talaq 65:3

65:3 And He provides for him from (sources) he never could imagine. And if any one puts his trust in Allah, sufficient is ((Allah)) for him. For Allah will surely accomplish his purpose: verily, for all things has Allah appointed a due proportion. (Y. Ali translation)

unknown_JJ
01-15-2010, 02:33 PM
I think its a really bad time for jobs, I been applying to soo many but i cant get any, not even interviews anymore :(

Salahudeen
01-17-2010, 02:24 PM
yeah just go into education and become even more qualified, do a masters or something LOL.

Cabdullahi
01-17-2010, 02:28 PM
I would wear diadora tracksuit bottoms an umbro jacket and hi-tek trainers :thumbs_up

Salahudeen
01-17-2010, 02:32 PM
LOL I know some 1 who wore a yellow suit to an interview, he didn't wanna come off JSA LOL.

Asiyaah
01-17-2010, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
yeah just go into education and become even more qualified, do a masters or something LOL.
I've been thinking of doing just this LOL - Any ideas on what's a good masters degree for job prospects? I currently have a BA. I know some people with masters degrees working a tim hortans (canadian coffee chain) and call centres :cry: - not encouraging.

Cabdullahi
01-17-2010, 04:38 PM
I've been thinking of doing just this LOL - Any ideas on what's a good masters degree for job prospects? I currently have a BA. I know some people with masters degrees working a tim hortans (canadian coffee chain) and call centres :cry: - not encouraging.
masters in the custodial arts :thumbs_up

im kiddin......you're good with computers so why not take something in that field

Salahudeen
01-17-2010, 04:51 PM
I think I'll be doing the same when I get my degree, jobs are so hard to come by. people with degrees work in fast food restaurants :hmm:

Asiyaah
01-17-2010, 04:58 PM
masters in the custodial arts :thumbs_up

im kiddin......you're good with computers so why not take something in that field

LOL - somedays I think I'd rather be a janitor than what I do now.

Computers is a good idea - tho my BA is in history LOL - I do have a college diploma in computers - maybe I should just focus on moving forward with an IT career instead of going back to school. I'm already in so much education debt that I could have bought a house lol

Cabdullahi
01-17-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm already in so much education debt that I could have bought a house lol
Go to africa debt collectors aint gon find you there!

unknown_JJ
01-17-2010, 05:07 PM
not always great to do lots of studies, i mean you get loads to say on ur cv, plus a way to time pass, but expereince is key.

I been applying to job, but they either dont give me the job or say im 'over-qualified' grr

cat eyes
01-17-2010, 05:24 PM
my friend has her degree and just received a job offer the other day but turned her down on the account she did not have a car because she couldn't efford one. can u believe that

Asiyaah
01-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Aww it's so difficult these days to make a good living. It helps to know other people are in the same situation as me.

I wish I could run away from the debt collectors but my mom re-mortgaged her house to help with the debt :( :( - My sweet sweet mom - I feel horrible about this tho - I'm a grown woman who can't take care of her own finances :(

If Allah is equal to the mercy of 70 of my moms - Alhamdillah - I can't even imagine that.

Muezzin
01-17-2010, 05:52 PM
If in England, then I'd try that big store that belongs to that egyptian guy.. i forget the name (the one whose son died with diana)

Harrods?!

Blimey. I suppose buying clothes from there is a pretty strong incentive to gain steady employment (if only to be able to afford to eat after purchasing said garments :p). Whenever I need a new suit I pay a visit to Burton's. But if members want to dress to impress, they should go for it.

P.S. The Epgytian owner is Mohammed Al Fayed. His son was Dodi Al Fayed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.