/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do I choose a mosque?

greeneyedcat
12-23-2009, 05:51 AM
I've never been to a mosque. I've been looking for local mosques to visit and I'm feeling overwhelmed. I've found about a dozen that aren't too far, but I don't know what all the differences are. They list different types of traditions and ethnic backgrounds. Is there a list somewhere that tells the major differences between Sunni, Traditional, Shia, Jafari, Sufi, Salafi, and multicultural mosques? I just don't even know where to begin! Do I need to worry about these differences at this point in time? Should I just start at the one closest to my home?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ruk
12-26-2009, 08:01 AM
In the Name of Allah (The Exalted).

Masjid is an Arabic word for mosque. And used commonly by Muslims.

I would like to add that "Salafi," and "Traditional" are the same designation as "Sunni." Except the people sometimes called "Salafi" may be more adamant in their practice of Islam. Unfortunately, many people living in non-Muslim populated lands, do not practice the religion thoroughly. For a beginner learning about Islam, I recommend simply going to the "Sunni" place of worship. Jafari is a school of Islamic jurisprudence that is mainly followed by "Shias." So that is also a Shia masjid (mosque). And multicultural simply means a masjid (mosque) attended by Muslims of various races. It would have been sufficient for the person to have described it as a "Sunni" masjid, but for some reason they chose to write the word "multicultural." It is probably also Sunni.

PS. Which country do you live in?

And Allah Knows Best.

greeneyedcat
12-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Thank you.

I'm in the USA. I know that there's a strong Black Muslim and Nation of Islam presence here in my neighborhood, but I have a feeling that as a white women I wouldn't exactly fit in there.

desert winds
12-26-2009, 11:08 PM
find one which folllows te same shcool of thought and keep your eyes and ears open in regards to it- so mosques are innovating islam, so be cautious,

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ruk
12-27-2009, 07:03 AM
In the Name of Allah (The Exalted),

Since you are in the U.S., take advantage of the following groups, I recommend the first, if they can't help you, then try the second.

1) The following group can speak to you over the phone or by e-mail and can arrange a masjid (mosque) meeting between you and another Muslim woman. In which you can get a tour, watch them pray, ask questions, etc. They can also give you free books, etc. And any other help you need.

http://gainpeace.com/

2) This group also does the same thing: http://whyislam.org/

The following link has good Islamic lectures:
http://thedeenshow.com/

And Allah Knows Best.

YusufNoor
12-27-2009, 10:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by greeneyedcat
Thank you.

I'm in the USA. I know that there's a strong Black Muslim and Nation of Islam presence here in my neighborhood, but I have a feeling that as a white women I wouldn't exactly fit in there.
:sl:

the "Black Muslims" and the "Nation of Islam" DON'T follow the Qur'an and Sunnah, avoid these as you would a Sufi or Shiite Mosque.

you could ask some of the sisters that you see walking around in hijabs. do a "prayer time search" for your city. it will generally privide links to Masaajids.

what city are you in?

I've never been to a mosque. I've been looking for local mosques to visit and I'm feeling overwhelmed.

as would anyone be! my 1st trip was bizarre, i couldn't find anyone. turns out the building that i was looking in was the sisters and the one for the brothers was around the back!

I've found about a dozen that aren't too far, but I don't know what all the differences are. They list different types of traditions and ethnic backgrounds. Is there a list somewhere that tells the major differences between Sunni, Traditional, Shia, Jafari, Sufi, Salafi, and multicultural mosques?

safest would be sunni, skip Shia, Jafari, Sufi. a Salafi would be nice unless it is the "us only" Salafis.

I just don't even know where to begin! Do I need to worry about these differences at this point in time?

well, due to cultural changes to the religion, SOME ethnic groups don't allow women to attend the Masjid. THAT you should take into consideration.

Should I just start at the one closest to my home?

that MIGHT be the easiest.
keep in mind that sisters are NOT required to attend service at the "Mosque." as a result of this you MAY find the sisters at any given Masjid a wee bit "overly enthusiastic," this can cause some to react inappropriately to some poor sister that shows up "sans hijab." they MEAN well, but each Masjid has it's stories.

the important thing would be to just begin, then you could ask us about what you see or experience.''

May Allah make it easy on you and may He guide you! AMEEN!

:wa:

Insaanah
12-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Just remember to maintain the distinction between Black Muslims in general (who in fact are just like white, red ,brown or yellow Muslims), and the "Nation of Islam", as in Islam we don't see colour. We are all brothers and sisters in faith.

Abu Huraira (Radi Allah Anhu) reported Allah’s Messenger (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) as saying: “Verily Allah does not look to your faces and your wealth but He looks to your heart and to your deeds.” (Sahih Muslim : Book 32, Number 6221)

In his final sermon in Hajj (pilgrimage), prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:

"All mankind is from Adam and Eve. An Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab, nor does a non-Arab have any superiority over an Arab; white has no superiority over black, nor does a black have any superiority over white; [none have superiority over another] except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. "

So you should be equally as welcome in a mosque frequented mainly by black Muslims as in a mosque frequented mainly by white Muslims. Your colour is not an issue.

However, steer clear of "Nation of Islam" mosques, as they promote racism, which as you can see from the above, there is no room for in Islam.

Peace.

Raaina
12-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Do you know of any other sisters in the area who you could go along with to make it a little easier for you to fit in?

greeneyedcat
12-27-2009, 07:53 PM
I contacted the people at whyislam.com a while back and I wasn't very happy with the interaction.

Maybe it's just my low self esteem, but I'm really sort of shy and scared to meet people. There's just so much information out there it's a bit overwhelming, I think I really just need to start making connections in the community. (I'm in the San Francisco area)

Italianguy
12-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Thank you.

DO NOT go to a "Nation of Islam" mosque, also keep in mind "The Nation" believes African Americans are te superior race......so you probably wouldn't fit in that well...although they wouldn't hurt you I'm sure.

No moque or church for that matter should ever make you feel left out or unwelcome.

Hamza Asadullah
12-27-2009, 10:53 PM
I contacted the people at whyislam.com a while back and I wasn't very happy with the interaction.

Maybe it's just my low self esteem, but I'm really sort of shy and scared to meet people. There's just so much information out there it's a bit overwhelming, I think I really just need to start making connections in the community. (I'm in the San Francisco area)
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, my sister once you start to meet some good sisters and get more involved in Islamic activities in your area then your self esteem will naturally increase inshallah.

Here are some (non nation of Islam) Masjids in SF that you can contact and i am sure they will provide you with the relevant information you need and get you in touch with sisters who can help you:

San Francisco Muslim Community Center

Neighborhood: Western Addition/NOPA
850 Divisadero Street
San Francisco, CA 94117

(415) 563-9397

Islamic Center of San Francisco

Neighborhood: Bernal Heights
400 Crescent Ave
(between Andover St & Moultrie St)
San Francisco, CA 94110

(415) 282-9039

Islamic Society of San Francisco

Neighborhood: Civic Center/Tenderloin
20 Jones St
3rd Fl
(at Golden Gate Ave)
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 863-7997

www.islamsf.net

abrar88
12-29-2009, 08:49 PM
since it's call masjid then it's ok to enter it and pray but excuse me i don't gather the husainiyat with masajid meaning....
so any masjid you get in to pray it's ganna be fine since it all beuot alah...
this my point of view hope it's usefull to you.....

greeneyedcat
12-30-2009, 02:42 AM
Thank you Hamza81! One of them is really close to my office so it would be really convenient for me to visit on my lunch hour or after work.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.