/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Essentials for a new Muslimah

meghan
12-24-2009, 02:53 AM
ASA everyone--

I have just recently reverted to islam a few weeks ago. I have been trying to sort out all the imformation that I've been learning and I was wondering if I could perhaps get some advice from everyone here. I want to start wearing hijab, and I know that hijab doesn't only include covering ones head. I've been browsing many online websites that have LOTS of different types of clothes for women, but it is really hard for me to figure out what is needed and what isn't? If you could make a recommendation for what is sorta a basic essential for a new muslim woman? Hopefully this wasn't confusing!

Thanks,
Meg

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
KittenLover
12-24-2009, 03:11 AM
well as long as the clothing is loose and modest it's ok, you can't wear clothes that expose your body or figure because such delights are for your husbands eyes only.

it's the same for a man, he can't wear tight fitted clothes showing his body and he's not allowed to expose a certain portion of his body, he can't show above his knee's and he can't show above his elbows and wear tight clothing.

but many men do unfortuantly :(

anyway jus cover ur head with a hijaab and wear loose clothing that's modest.

KittenLover
12-24-2009, 03:36 AM
sis I also wanted to welcome you into the religion of Islam you've finally found your way to the truth and you're now apart of a big global family all though we don't act like it sometimes lol.

but we share uniting belief that god alone is worthy of worship and he conveyed his message through the prophet muhammed (peace be upon him) just like he conveyed it before though Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus.

No change do you see in the message of god, always "Worship me alone"

so welcome sister and I'm telling you now you'll face hard times, you'll feel like a stranger in society maybe even abuse from your family

but always remember you're upon the truth and this life is a temporary test so don't get fooled by it. the angels are recording in their books for the day of judgement.

meghan
12-24-2009, 03:56 AM
KittenLover,

Thanks for the encouragement! :-) I am glad I found this forum!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rasema2
12-24-2009, 04:23 AM
:sl:
Welcome to Islam. All praise is due to Allah, azzawajall, for guiding His slaves to the path.

Well, as a Muslimah, I will tell you that if you follow that what Islam obligates you to, your life will be easier and you will be a happier individual due to the fact that you focus on your self and not strive to attain fame etc..

You should leave everything that makes you beautiful, and submitt your self tottaly to Allah, subHana wa ta'ala.
Do not plug your eyebrows because that is one of the major sins.
Do not wear makeup in fromt of non-mahram men.
Do not describe your self to other men or woman. Not to women because they will maybe describe you to other men.
Do not wear clothing with the intention of immitationg disbelieving woman.
Lower your gaze and guard your private parts(smile). May ALLAH, azzawajall, make it easy for you sis.

You can find good articles FOR WOMEN here:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.abdurrahman.org (my personal fave)

www.madeenah.com

www.subulassalaam.com

http://www.fatwa-online.com/

http://sisters.islamway.com/

meghan
12-24-2009, 04:58 AM
Thank you Rasema!

I am going to go check out those links now. I never knew about not plugging your eyebrow--good thing this is something I have never really done much in the past!

Meg

Rasema2
12-24-2009, 05:10 AM
I'm sorry Meg, I gave you wrong links:phew

Here sis:
http://www.al-athariyyah.com/sisters.html

Raaina
12-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Welcome to the board sister :)
I to am new to Islam (converting just 2 weeks ago) I never knew about the eye brow thing either :(

Anyway, I look forward to reading your posts :)

Raaina
12-24-2009, 05:44 AM
Opps double post.

Rasema2
12-24-2009, 06:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
Welcome to the board sister :)
I to am new to Islam (converting just 2 weeks ago) I never knew about the eye brow thing either :(

Anyway, I look forward to reading your posts :)
:sl:
It is okay sis, ALLAH,AZZAWAJALL, doesn't punish you for something you didn't know was wrong/forbidden/... Not 100% sure though. Aldough, tou are a clean baby so no worries.

“And there is no sin on you concerning that in which you made a mistake, except in regard to what your hearts deliberately intend”

[al-Ahzaab 33:5]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has forgiven my ummah for mistakes, what they forget and what they are forced to do. “ Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 2053; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah.

On that last link, there is an article about this ruling, you'll spot it.

faridman
02-14-2011, 07:35 PM
salam alikom hey everyone

im new here
i jsut exciting :statisfieand and confused i dont know how to use here lol :D

i hope i can make good friendship you all.
hi meghan how are you sis?

faridman
02-14-2011, 07:37 PM
salam alikom hi megham

how are you ?

im new here ,i just want to say hello i dont know anything about this site i just trying to figure it out lol

Aina1000
02-17-2011, 01:12 AM
Wa 'Alaykum As-Salam,

Im so happy that you have found truth in Islam. Masha'Allah. I am also a new revert, I took shahadah at the beginning of the year, and each day since, has been rewarding in so many ways. Alhumdulilah.

The only advice i can give as a revert is that 'intent' is the most important thing when doing anything. The core of islam is concerned with ones inner self, ones heart. A woman can cover from head to toe, and still be hard headed bitter and cold, but a fellow muslimah may have a more natural modesty and less covered. Modesty is not only about dressing, but also character.

In terms of clothes, they should be loose fitting so that it does not show the outline of your body, your arms should be covered to your wrist, and your legs should be covered to your ankles at least. When i started wearing a hijab, my clothes didn’t really 'fit' because all my jeans were tight because that is what i was used to, and believe me, I was so self conscious because it seemed like a big contradiction, hijab and tight jeans??? I was so eager to get more loose fitting garments. I now mainly wear long black skirts. Sometimes jeans, but only if I have a long top/dress layering it.

In terms of make-up etc, I have asked many Muslims, and again they said its about intent. If your intent is to attract others, then its haram, but if you're wearing it for yourself, then you judge. There are many many good muslimahs that do not wear a hijab or wear controversial styles, or clothes that others do not approve of - and then those wearing a hijab and loose fitting clothes at times judge them but judgment alone is haram, so the most important thing is purifying oneself. Which takes a lifetime, which is what we all work towards.

Your news is so wonderful! On your journey there will be a lot of people that will tell you what you can and cannot do, and it can be a bit overwhelming. I attended a seminar last week about the 'challenges within' by Tariq Ramadan, and again, what was emphasised is your judgement. If you are unsure, refer back to the Qur'an because people interpret things differently. Insha'Allah the more you read the more comfortable you will feel in judging what is halal and what is haram.

I wish you all the best on your journey x x x x x

muslimah nicola
02-17-2011, 10:09 AM
I too am a new muslimah, and have started wearing hijab. In fact I started wearing hijab before I said my shahaddah, as I wanted to bread it geantly to my family. I had one scarf big enough so I wore that, plus long skirts, a long loose coat and when wearing jeans I wear an over tunic or dress. I joke that I sometimes have to wear so many layers to cover up from ankles to arists and head that I am like a bag lady (no disrespect intended) who wears all her clothes at once.

I have several hijabs (bought this week) and find that the once piece ones are very easy to put on in a hurry. I have a couple of the mona ones, and theyre great. I slon am waiting on delivery of some abayas and jilbabs, which should help enormously as I feel that they will give coverage without being too bulky and hot. you can get some very nice modest dresses ( jilbabs) online, esp in the USA ( I have awedding coming up and will be ordering a special outfit from the states for that) and they will satisfy the need for modesty and not dressing like unbelievers

muslimah nicola
02-17-2011, 10:10 AM
sorry just wanted to add, I am in England, and there arent many muslims where i live, and Ive had absolutely no problem since wearing hijab. I get treated better if anything.

kite runner
02-27-2011, 07:38 AM
mashallah nicola. I also am a revert and Alhamdulilah being muslim is the BEST lol. Welcome to islam everyone. Question: what was that 1 moment where the pin dropped and u said "there is no doubt islam is the truth"

Miine was listening to Quran, surah najm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.