http://www.dhikrullah.com/knowledge/...ng-repentance/

Seeking Repentance

Filed under: Ibaadah, Imaan — Abu Muslim
Shaykh ul-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah
Majmoo al-Fataawaa 10/88-90
Al-Istighfaar (Seeking Repentance)

The Messenger of Allah, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, said:
“The master of invocations for forgiveness is that the servant says:
O’ my ‘ilãh You are my Lord, there is no ‘ilãh but You. You created me, and I am your bondservant, and I will stick to my covenant and promise [of faith and sincere obedience] to You, as to my ability. I seek refuge in You from the evil of what I have done, I acknowledge, to You, your bounties upon me, and I acknowledge, to You, my sin. Thus forgive me, for none forgives sins except You.

Whoever says this as he enters upon evening, then, dies that night, he would enter Paradise; and if one says this as he enters upon morning, then, dies that day, he would enter Paradise.” [Al-Bukhari]

The servant is always in the blessings of Allah, which necessitate thankfulness, and in sinfulness, which requires seeking forgiveness. Both of these matters are required and essential for the servant at all times, as the servant does not cease to alternate between Allaah’s (various) favors and blessings, and does not cease to be in need of repentance and seeking forgiveness.

This is why the Master of the Children of Adam, and the Leader of the Pious, Muhammad, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam sought forgiveness in all circumstances. He said in an authentic hadeeth reported by al-Bukhari:
“O people, repent to your Lord, for verily I seek forgiveness from Allah and repent to him more than seventy times in a day.”

It is reported in Saheeh Muslim that he said: “I seek forgiveness one hundred times in a day.” [Muslim]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Taqiyah
12-24-2009, 11:00 PM
MashaAllah brother Thanks so much for this.

Sawdah
12-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Jazakallah Khair for posting this brother :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.