/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The thread to visit when you are having a panic attack

جوري
12-28-2009, 02:33 AM
:sl:

you know how scary a panic attack is, if you've ever had one.. I am going to post my two bits here to help you through it and would like for other members to participate by sharing only relaxing photos.. relaxing imagery can really help along with breathing exercises in such a situation.

Media Tags are no longer supported

Some relaxing imagery

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Taqiyah
12-28-2009, 02:44 AM
Salama

Those huge dark rocks at the beach/river honestly scared me more than they relaxed me..:omg: But the cozy fireplace and those sheep on the field those were really soothing:statisfie..Thanks so much sister.

Ramadhan
12-29-2009, 02:12 AM
I've experienced panic attacks, and let me tell you, they felt very real, like physically real.
Very very scary.

جوري
12-29-2009, 02:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
I've experienced panic attacks, and let me tell you, they felt very real, like physically real.
Very very scary.
that is because an attack manifests physically, hyperventilation reduces carbon dioxide in the blood making the blood more alkaline thus causing vasoconstriction of the blood vessels that supply the brain preventing the transport of oxygen so you get that light-headed feeling, and because your blood becomes alkaline you get that alkalotic lethargy your plasma proteins (mainly albumin) increases their calcium binding affinity, thereby reducing free ionized calcium levels which leads to the the numbness and tingly clammy feeling, the more your feel this way the faster your heart beats to supply oxygen to the brain, it feels like your heart is going to jump out of your chest, then because there is a shift to the most important organs your knees start to buckle, you can't swallow, you get a sense of dying and impending doom, and the cycle feeds itself the more these physical symptoms manifest... it positively horrifying, the first time I experienced one it woke me from sleep so you can imagine my personal horror as I had no idea that there is such a thing as a nocturnal panic attack.. .. it never looks like the movies you know where you are just hysterical you really sort of feel helpless and trapped awaiting something bloody awful to overtake you...

there are techniques you can do but even I a trained professional am completely helpless when they over take me.. because of what I know I always think of a thousand differential and I think this time it really is such and such...

may Allah swt grant us good health

ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nebula
12-29-2009, 03:52 AM
This is a video of someone getting a real panic attack on a aeroplane. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxtyisoNBaI

جوري
12-29-2009, 04:01 AM
. I am sorry but this dude wasn't having a panic attack he is clearly combative with extreme outbursts .. he needed a haloperidol shot

I feel sorry for psychiatrists having to restrain patients like that just to give them medicine!

جوري
01-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Winter Season Exacerbates Anxiety, Panic Attacks

October 29, 2009 by

More topics
Anxiety Panic Attacks | Winter Health | Cause of Panic Attacks

Mental Health Implications

Winter is a time of much distress as we struggle to find ways to engage our bodies and minds while restricted to the indoors. Unlike summer, winter time often results in a spike in mental health complications for many individuals as seasonal depression comes to fruition. If you live with anxiety, and struggle to manage panic attacks, you may find the changing of the seasons can bring about distress and frustration - even exacerbating your anxiety symptoms.

Anxiety and panic attacks often occur when we are under stress and feeling fatigued. For some individuals a poor diet and lack of exercise can also exacerbate an anxiety disorder. With the onset of winter, and often feeling claustrophobic, many anxiety patients find their anxiety is worsened by the changing of the season and the tendency to feel "cabin fever", or a general inability to venture outdoors freely. In addition, the tightness of the air molecules, associated with winter, can put a strain in our ability to breathe normally and this can cause panic in those who live with an anxiety disorder.

If you find that your stress level is spiked during the winter months, and you are experiencing more frequent episodes of panic and anxiety, it is important to mentally prepare for this time of the year. In many individuals the ability to manage panic and anxiety more effectively, especially in winter, comes when there is much preparation. Feeling in control, you may be able to more effectively overcome feelings of claustrophobia and reduce the frequency of panic attacks.

Proper diet and exercise will be vital in the wintertime. Unfortunately, many individuals find that diet is compromised by comfort foods or holiday meals. Exercise, in addition, may be difficult as the colder temperatures can limit your ability to engage in physical activity outside. Prepare for the wintertime by planning your meals strategically each week and find exercise activities you can do indoors.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ety_panic.html

Asiyaah
01-31-2010, 02:07 AM
:sl:

Thank you for making this thread. Thanks to Allah I haven't had a panic attack in quite a long time. A lot of the time I feel like I'm about to have one which creates a very unpleasant cycle imsad. I really struggle with SAD. I have so much anxiety it is unbearable. I went to my GP and he put me on seroquel on top of my SNRI. -sigh- Did I ever feel good when I googled seroquel when I got home for the doctors... LOL. Guess I'm more crazy than I thought. May Allah grant us all peace, ameen.

جوري
01-31-2010, 02:16 AM
you are not crazy at all.. I suffer severe anxiety myself, especially when driving, and it is all because or at least I think it is because of this one very bad driving incident where I got hypoglycemic and almost lost control of the car on the highway where there was no place to pull on the side..

now every time, I am driving, I can't swallow, I am dizzy, my palms are sweaty, I have a sense of derealization, I feel like everything is surreal, it is so unbearable. I take every precaution, I have juice with me, I even tried some of those stupid lavender chamomile remedies and nothing works.. obviously I have no interest in medicating myself but rationalizing through it really hasn't helped.. so I myself am hoping they'd just go away.. and I don't know that they will until I treat the underlying cause, which I can't, as I can't forget or repress the events of that day..

if anyone has ever suffered from panic or intense anxiety, it really is hell and I fully and wholeheartedly sympathize.. just know pls that no one is exempt from this, it can strike anyone and hence I created this thread as a sort of support...

:w:

Asiyaah
01-31-2010, 02:49 AM
Driving causes me a lot of anxiety as well. About 3 summers ago I backed into a parked car - it was a very silly and humorous accident. However I lost all confidence in my driving ability after this. When I drove I felt just as you describe. Today when I drive it is not as extreme but still a very unpleasant experience I try to avoid. What can be worse than the feeling your about to lose control when your driving your car! Your experience sounds terrifying. I'm glad Allah guided you to safety. Inshallah as time moves forward your anxiety will lessen. When I start to panic in the car I repeat over and over again in my mind that everything happens according to Allah's will. If Allah wills that I get home safe then nothing can prevent it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.