/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My beliefs and Islam

RickHolm
12-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Hi everyone.

This thread here is about my beliefs versus Islam, and seeing if they add up to anything. The questions will be bolded, and I wanted an islamic perspective on the questions.

Here we go...

1.God.
Yes, a God exists.

2.Are there many gods?
Yes/no. If not, there many spiritual beings/spirits. These may be an aspect of him/it, or made by him/it. These beings can interact with humans.

3.Prophet?
Possibly, but anyone can reach and talk to God.

4.Any laws?
Only what is there to help us, as general guidelines.

More later... :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
RickHolm
01-01-2010, 04:22 PM
So, what is the view of islam on the above questions?

Someone mentioned that I should pick a religion that suits me, however, I am partially convinced of islam.

In short, give me the view of Islam on the matter, and i'd like to have a debate.

Insaanah
01-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Peace, Rick.

Heres my perspective on your questions, (which hopefully equates to the Islamic perspective).

1. Correct.

2. No. Only ONE God - that is one of the foundations of Islam. One God, who has no associate whatsoever in His divinity.

Apart from human beings, he has also created angels, who obey Him, and also beings from fire whom we cannot see called the Jinn. They, like humans, have been shown the correct guidance of the messengers, but, like humans, have also have been given freedom as to what they believe.

3. God sent many prophets and messengers (peace be upon them all) with guidance for mankind, to show people how to put that guidance into practice. Amongst them are:

• Adam
• Idris (Enoch)
• Nuh (Noah)
• Hud
• Saleh
• Ibrahim (Abraham)
• Isma'il (Ishmael)
• Ishaq (Isaac)
• Lut (Lot)
• Ya'qub (Jacob)
• Yousef (Joseph)
• Shu'aib
• Ayyub (Job)
• Musa (Moses)
• Harun (Aaron)
• Dhu'l-kifl (Ezekiel)
• Dawud (David)
• Sulaiman (Solomon)
• Ilias (Elias)
• Al-Yasa (Elisha)
• Yunus (Jonah)
• Zakariyya (Zechariah)
• Yahya (John)
• 'Isa (Jesus)
• Muhammad

The chain of prophets start with Adam and ends with Muhammad (peace be upon them), but there are far more in between than shown on this list. We have to believe in all the prophets from a-z, those we've been told about, and those we haven't. They all preached the same thing, which was "Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord, and associate none in His divinity." Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the last and final messenger.

A prophet is a person chosen by god to convey his message to mankind guide mankind, and to show people how to implement that guidance in their daily lives.

Belief in all these prophets is a must. In Islam we accept and believe in all of them, without rejecting any, and neither exaggerating their status to divine.
Of course an ordinary human being prays to god and in doing so, so talks to him. That does not make him a prophet though.

4. Laws. Yes. There would be no point in God sending guidance for mankind without sending a messenger showing people how to implement that guidance. So, what we eat, how we dress, our relations with the opposite sex etc. so not open to interpretation. A Muslim from China to deepest Africa will pray the same, know what is and isn't lawful for them to eat, etc.

There is the same rulebook for everyone, we are not following different things, we all have the same syllabus and will be judged by the same standards on the Day of Judgement. If things were general guidance open to interpretation, people could interpret that guidance differently, but who would know exactly what God's interpretation was? That's why God has been merciful to us by giving us much detail, and sending prophet Muhammad peace be upon him, showing us the detail and how to implement it in our lives.

Islam is not just a religion, but a complete way of life.

Peace.

- Qatada -
01-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Hello Rick :)

format_quote Originally Posted by RickHolm
Hi everyone.

1.God.
Yes, a God exists.

2.Are there many gods?
Yes/no. If not, there many spiritual beings/spirits. These may be an aspect of him/it, or made by him/it. These beings can interact with humans.
What if there was only One God, but many spiritual beings that were created by God?

3.Prophet?
But what if one person says "you can gamble, God said it", and another says "you can't gamble, God said it." Whose correct?

Wouldn't God send a Messenger who unites the people on what they differ?

4.Any laws?
Obviously, whatever God sends is going to help us. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rafeeq
01-02-2010, 04:07 AM
There is no God but Allah. No one shares His authority. Nothing resembles Him.

islamlover_girl
01-04-2010, 01:26 AM

1.God.
Yes, a God exists.
sure God exist.

2.Are there many gods?
There is only one God ,no aspect of him,only one God who created every thing and hold the earth and heavens ,if every body in this world ask him at the same time he can answer every one.

3.Prophet?
There were many prophets,Mohammed is the last one.
,ya anyone can talk to Allah,when we pray, ask Allah for any thing in life or hereafter,but thats differ than the prophet`s rule as they deliver to us God`s book and words which they received by angles,all of them have miracles which helps us to realize that they are sent from God,Mohammed`s miracle was Quran ,it would be advisable to read about miracles in Quran.

4.Any laws?
There is many lows in Islam ,for example somethings are forbidden like (adultery,racism,drinking wine, lying,.....etc)and somethings are obligatory like paying certain percentage of money to poor people every year ,praying to God five times a day,.............etc.

More later... :)
you are welcomed

RickHolm
01-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Thank you all for your answers!

I am mainly unsure whther many deties (gods) exist or if MAYBE those beings presence i think I know about are just angels. I have a firm belief that there ARE Jinn, and angels, but their status is just unknown to me..

However, Monotheism does make sense.

So, yes - I would like top make a public declaration that I no longer consider myself pagan - someone who worships many gods. I still think manifold spiritual beings still exist, and are quite powerful.

As for "talking" to God - I firmly believe anyone who asks God, speaks to God in prayer, whether Salat or not should reach conclusions that either Judaism, christanity, or islam is correct. I also believe that Islam seems to be the pinnacle of monotheism. I still have yet to read the Quran, should be here this week.

In short, after thinking for this week or so, i no longer have a desire to worship multiple beings... But I would not call myself a muslim yet.

Here are the other questions:

RickHolm
01-04-2010, 06:32 PM
5. Language.
I believe that no matter what language you speak, God can hear you. Prayers can be in any language.

6. The nature of God.
God wants us to enjoy our lives, without us harming ourselves. In short, he lets us do what we want as long as its not very harmful or could kill us. But he knows what's best.

7. Heaven and Hell.
Hell - If it exists, it is not eternal(for us). God loves us, and does not want us to suffer.

Heaven - For everyone who deserves it, in varying degress of greatness.

Please comment.... :)

- Qatada -
01-05-2010, 12:08 AM
hi :)

5. Language.
I believe that no matter what language you speak, God can hear you. Prayers can be in any language.
Yes, there are two types of prayer in Islam.

1) The prayer we pray 5x a day, it has rituals and it is called the salat. It is in arabic because God revealed the Quran in arabic, and He revealed it in that language because we will gain alot of wisdom by learning such a language.

Keep in mind alot of us don't speak arabic as our mother tongue, alot of us speak english as our first language just like you. But by learning arabic, you actually become alot more wise and cleverer, making you reach new heights. It's such a rich language, and the Quran is in the richest language because it has the most deepest meaning.

2) The personal prayer to God [supplication]. We can pray to God in supplication in whatever language we want. You can ask your personal requests to God in supplication to Him whenever u want. This is called du'a in arabic, and that means to 'call upon' God. :)

6. The nature of God.
God wants us to enjoy our lives, without us harming ourselves. In short, he lets us do what we want as long as its not very harmful or could kill us. But he knows what's best.
God sends down the best guidance in all aspects of life to lead us to the best way. Whatever He gives us is of benefit to us (even if we can't comprehend it), and whatever He forbids is from is because it is harmful for us.

He knows whats best, and knows us better than we know ourselves. And He gives us guidance to unite mankind upon a set truth.

7. Heaven and Hell.
Hell - If it exists, it is not eternal(for us). God loves us, and does not want us to suffer.

God rewards those who believe in Him, and His Messengers (who are humans and servants of God, but the best examples in humanity - which include Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad etc). God expects us to believe in these Messengers. He also expects us to follow His final Messenger Muhammad, in what was revealed to him by God.

If we believe in God, the Guidance He has sent, His Promises and obey Him and His Messenger in goodness, then He will reward us for our good in a Paradise which is forever.

If we however reject Him, and argue that God has lied, and that He never sends us guidance, and we reject His Messengers'. Then He can punish us in Hell, and why can't He when we are created by Him, and He has ordered us to obey Him, so what gives us the right to reject Him and His Message? If we are arrogant in this, then He is not in need of us, and He can punish us in hell if He wishes.

If God can reward those who believe and do good in Paradise forever, He can also punish those who reject Him and do evil forever too.

Peace.

- Qatada -
01-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Thank you all for your answers!

I am mainly unsure whther many deties (gods) exist or if MAYBE those beings presence i think I know about are just angels. I have a firm belief that there ARE Jinn, and angels, but their status is just unknown to me..
Jinn are creations like humans who have a choice of doing good or evil, and they are responsible for what they do in the court of God on Judgment Day.

Angels are creations of God, and they only obey God in goodness. They pray for those who believe in God, His Messengers', and who do good. They are helpers of the Muslims [those who submit to God], and they pray to God against those who harm the Muslims.

lifeguard
01-05-2010, 04:36 AM
5. Language.

6. The nature of God.

7. Heaven and Hell.

Please comment.... :)
5. Language -

Example: Muslims offer prayers 5 times a day and the text is mandatory in Arabic. Just imagine if a person in China prayed in Chinese, France in French, America in English etc etc...there would be many mistakes and errors in translation..people would be arguing with each other as to which is correct..that is why Allah chose a universal language for all muslims...and Allah knows Best..

6. Nature of God -

God is Merciful, Loving and Just. At the same time, He will punish us in this world or the Hereafter for the good of ourselves...Just if we do something wrong, our parents have the right to punish us...God did not create us to enjoy our lives..He created us for a purpose and the purpose is worship..Worship includes being good to parents, follow guidelines of Islam, fulfill rights of neighbours, children, parents wife, don not steal rape lie cheat etc etc..and also thanking Allah and worshipping Him for all that He has given us..praying, fasting, giving alms, pilgrimage and belief in Oneness of Allah...

7. Heaven and Hell -

Example : Every country has jails prisons, laws for punishment of people who rape cheat steal kill etc etc..Allah has His own court to sentence people for doing wrong and injustice...the Final Court..the Day of Judgement

Hitler incinerated 6 million Jews...in this world he got one death...
and a person killing one person also gets one death...
in retrospect..that's not justice..

You work hard for something in this world you get your rewards...such as house car things that you desire etc etc...So worship hard and do the right things...and if Allah wills the reward is Heaven..

Brother on a different note..I grew up in a Muslim family but as I grew older and developed my understanding for right and wrong...and after much study I found myself attached to Islam just for the simple logics that stuck to my mind...I'll share them with you..

1. This universe, this world, the millions of living creatures..the creation of man..nothing happened by random chance...there was a method and controller of all this harmony in the universe and our lives..I see all in chaos if there is no Creator..example just as in a country if there is no governance...in a school if there is no principal..in a class if there is no teacher...etc etc...

2. Man is created..so he has a limited level of thinking he can do..totally unlike what God can think and do..cuz Allah is the Supreme..There is none like Him...
Even if we want to think as hard as we can we can never reach His level of thinking...

RickHolm
01-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Hi Qatada, Lifeguard:

About language and salat: agreed.
Language & Du'a: Agreed,

Makes perfect sense. Also, i think learning Arabic in today's world may also be helpful.
Where does one start?

Nature -
I think it id quite stupid to say that a Higher Being created us for "Worship". HE alrteady has angels and Jinn. Does he need humans too? I think God is a little more humble then that, and actually wants friendship & love. He wants us to love him as he loves us. If you think about it, thats what most humans want too. Love, respect, and friends. Hence why he made huamns and jinn - two side of the coin. THis is just my own thinking here... And I think this love is part of him trying to help us by laws.

Is God love, is my new question?

Heaven and hell:
How can there be an eternal hell with a god that is merciful?
I suppose you can say he is merciful because he allows non-muslims in, and doesnt just send them to hell. However, I will have to do more thinking on this topic... Hell is eternal, so is heaven, but who says that the people staying there will be there eternally?

I have to go now, and I will be back later :)

Thank you all for the dialogue.

lifeguard
01-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Nature -
I think it id quite stupid to say that a Higher Being created us for "Worship". HE alrteady has angels and Jinn. Does he need humans too? I think God is a little more humble then that, and actually wants friendship & love. He wants us to love him as he loves us. If you think about it, thats what most humans want too. Love, respect, and friends. Hence why he made huamns and jinn - two side of the coin. THis is just my own thinking here... And I think this love is part of him trying to help us by laws.

Is God love, is my new question?
As I said previously...in Islam worship does not literally mean sitting down on the prayer mat and offering 'salat' 24/7...If Allah wanted us to do that He would not have ordered 5 time prayers only but surely more then that...The 5 prayers combined merely take up at the most 1 to 1 1/2 out of our 24 hours....the other 22 or so hours Allah wants us to lead our normal lives but in a good way..get married..have children..etc etc...but we must always thank and remember Him...that's what He wants of us....

Worship means...
obedience to parents
fulfilling duties of a father brother son husband etc etc...
living an honest livelihood
no lies..no cheating..no backbiting...etc etc..
goodness to neighbours..
living in harmony with ur fellow beings..
follow islamic laws regarding eating of pork..drinking of alcohol
and various others...
are all considered acts of worship in the eyes of Allah...
adding to that....the 5 pillars of Islam which are mandatory....
1. Tawheed - Believing in oneness of Allah..
2. Salat
3. Fasting
4. Zakat - charity
5. Hajj..

And the question about God is love...to me His love is much more then what our parents love us...even our parents punish us if we do something wrong...I think that's where ur point lies..that if God is full of love..how can he even think of giving us torture right??
But think of it this way...even in this world..whatever wrong things we do with our loved ones..even how much they may love us....we get punished for it..in certain ways...

maybe someone more learned can shed more light on that...

Insaanah
01-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Peace, Rick.

With regards to point 6 and 7:

Point 6:

"And I created not mankind and jinn except to worship me" (The Glorious Qur'an 51:56)

Allah is not in need of our worship per se. Same way a teacher is not in need of the students studying. A teacher wants the students to achieve success and has concern for them. Same with Allah. He will not diminish in any way if we don't worship Him.

"Say: If you love Allah follow me; Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. Allah is Forgiving, Merciful." (3:31)

Indeed those who believe and do good deeds, the Most Compassionate One will appoint for them love. (19:96)

So we love Him and worship Him, but He is not in need of these things, for He is free of all need.

Point 7:

Suppose you go to school, college, uni. You study hard, and make so many sacrifices of your time with your friends and your fun, in order to pass. And, deservedly you pass. There are many who didn't study hard, etc and fail. But the teacher puts all their marks up so that they all pass. How would you feel? Is that fair? Is that acceptable? What was the point of you studying so hard?

God is a fair and just God. Each person will be recompensed for their actions. We make sacrifices of our 70-100 years in this world to try to achieve eternal success in the hereafter. You can re-take in this world. In the hereafter, there will be no retakes. Allah has given us so many favours and signs in this world, if we choose to acknowledge them.

Peace.

RickHolm
01-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks to both of you.

I bought a devotional book on the life of Muhammad(pbuh) to read.. Maybe i will learn more from that...

Still, i cannot say Islam is true until i get my Quran.. I am waiting still, but any time now, inshallah, it will appear...

Insaanah
01-08-2010, 11:07 PM
InshaAllah. It's good to see you've got to grips with some of the terminology already!

As you read the books, if any questions come to your mind as you are reading, please do ask.

Peace.

RickHolm
01-08-2010, 11:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insane Insaan
InshaAllah. It's good to see you've got to grips with some of the terminology already!

As you read the books, if any questions come to your mind as you are reading, please do ask.

Peace.
Dear Sister,

I have my Quran... i already have about two surah's down already.

One question - The Qur'an says to not face any direction, but every direction is the Qibla. Why then do we face the Qiblah? The notes mentioned to show the unity fo muslims, but what other reason is there?

lifeguard
01-09-2010, 03:34 AM
May Allah be with you during your time of understanding Islam, reading the books and always.

Regarding the Qibla,

Muslims face it for unity (but do not worship the Kaabah, we worship only Allah) and to avoid confusion amongst Muslims all around the world as to which direction to face while offering salat. So Allah made it real easy for us by telling us to face the Kaabah.

RickHolm
01-09-2010, 01:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lifeguard
May Allah be with you during your time of understanding Islam, reading the books and always.

Regarding the Qibla,

Muslims face it for unity (but do not worship the Kaabah, we worship only Allah) and to avoid confusion amongst Muslims all around the world as to which direction to face while offering salat. So Allah made it real easy for us by telling us to face the Kaabah.
Perfect, thank you.

Now, what about sects and islam? I don't really understand. I'd just love to follow a main stream sunni approach, but it seems whoever you ask will give you answers froma wahabi standpoint, or a salafi, or sunni, or shi'a, or you know... whatever they believe.

Why is all of this?

zakirs
01-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Greetings Rick bro,

Sects are not compulsary in Islam.Sunni means people who follow the teachings of prophet (crude definition). So , for now follow the mainstream as you think.

But in general i suggest you not to go into sects as of now. ( wahabism , salafism etc are not exactly sects but class of beleiefs which differ on minor standpoints and the major imams they follow ).

Concentrate truly on what Islam is , God didn't mention any sect in Quran. they are all created due to human differences. For now concentrate on Quran.

If you have any doubts please post.

Muslima.as
01-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Alssalam Alaykum
I guess it's part of any religion to have sects, espicially if it was widespread. Anyway, prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) told us that there would be many sects, and only one of them is true; the one that follows Quran and Sunna, which is sunni.

Insaanah
01-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Ideally there would be no sects, but the fact that there would be sects was foretold by the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him). Some people deviated from the Quran and the way of the Prophet (Peace be upon him). The one that is correct is the one that sticks to the Qur'an and the way of the prophet (Peace be upon him) and does not deviate from it.

Words such as wahhaabi and salafi etc need not frighten you. If anything is in agreement with the Qur'an and what the prophet taught, that's all you need to worry about. Do ask any questions here. This forum is well moderated, and has a mainstream approach, and hopefully you will not go wrong.

Peace.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.