/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question of the month

جوري
01-01-2010, 03:12 AM
This one is quite easy and googleable..

they have been making quite a few commercials about amputations as a result of smoking in an effort to get people to stop smoking..

Media Tags are no longer supported

Now, your challenge is in two parts:
1- To name that disease and give a quick synopsis!
2- Name another disease that goes by a similar name with the exception of a few letters and as a result med students frequently mix them up on exams as it has positively nothing to do with this condition!..

Reward as usual, is a rep from me, and anyone impressed with your google sleuthing! :D

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
01-01-2010, 08:18 PM
bump.. no takers?

Cabdullahi
01-01-2010, 08:35 PM
aahhh why does it have to be science :heated:

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
01-01-2010, 08:46 PM
ermmm deadleganosmokeasis - you snoke your veins get blocked, you lose movement in the limbs eventually?

can be easily confused with pins and needles?

:-/

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zakirs
01-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Is that atherosclerosis ?

Raaina
01-01-2010, 09:02 PM
isn't it gangreen, i dunno how you spell it

جوري
01-01-2010, 09:11 PM
It is gangrenous in a sense you do have to amputate, however this condition is exclusive in smokers and has a name, it can be confused with one of the vasculitides or even janeway lesions found in endocarditis, so a thorough history and physical has to be taken..
you have a two part question
1- name this disease
2- name a similar disease that is often confused with it because of spelling...

roohani.doctor
01-01-2010, 09:37 PM
1 - Buerger's Disease (or Thromboangiitis obliterans) - segmental occlusive inflammatory condition of arteries and veins, characterized by thrombosis and recanalization of the affected vessels. [source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1523324/]
2 - Berger's Disease - a kidney ailment. It's clinical name is IgA Nephropathy. IgA nephropathy is a kidney disorder characterized by blood in the urine. It is caused by inflammation of internal kidney structures and the deposit of IgA antibodies in kidney tissue. [source: http://www.healthscout.com/ency/1/000466.html]

:p: googling skills. Might be completely off :nervous:

جوري
01-01-2010, 11:26 PM
^^^ lol brilliant and very well done.. I don't think you googled did you? especially for part B of the question? you deserve a round of applause and a rep form everyone who participated :D

roohani.doctor
01-01-2010, 11:33 PM
ahahahahaha I am RIGHT? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

I did google. Everything from amputations to smoking to diseases. I had actually read about the second one though and could picture the name "Berger" is me mind but it was only after googling I found out wut it meant etc.

Still cant believe I am right. *happpyyy*

jazakallah sis *air hug*

*grinning* ;)

جوري
01-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Baraka Allah feeki.. I appreciate your effort immensely and especially the air hug!

zakirs
01-02-2010, 06:30 AM
congrats on ur effort :( .. i was too lazy to do a complete search

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.