/* */

View Full Version : Covering the hair

nightingale
01-01-2010, 04:07 AM
:sl:

I have seen women covering their heads when they hear the adhan(when they are inside their houses). Is it an innovation or recommended?

And also is it necessary to cover one's hair when reciting from the Quran outside prayer (of couse, with nobody around them)?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MSalman
01-01-2010, 07:41 PM
as-salamu alaykum

if no non-mahram are present and uncovering wouldn't cause any fitnah in front of mahrams then women don't have cover regardless of what is going on (athaan or reciting the Qur'an etc.). However, it is better to cover as you want to be more humble in front of Allah Azza Wa Jal all the time. It is found in some cultures that women cover when Athaan is being called or when they recite the Qur'an etc. to show respect and humblness. It is not an innovation.

and Allah knows best

sorry, I am short on time and couldn't find a fatawa link for you. I will post it later or maybe someone else would, insha'Allah.

Danah
01-01-2010, 07:59 PM
:wa:
I have never heard about any ruling regard covering the head while hearing the Adhan but here is when reciting the Quran

Is putting on hijab a condition of reading Qur’aan?

What are the rituals before reading the Qur'aan? And, does a sister have to be covered (full hijab) when reading it?

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not obligatory for a woman to put on hijaab in order to read Qur’aan, because there is no evidence to indicate that this is obligatory.
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said that reciting Qur’aan does not require covering the head.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said in his comments on sujood al-tilaawah (prostration required when reading certain verses of the Qur’aan): “Sujood al-tilaawah is to be done when reading Qur’aan. It may be done in any state, even with the head uncovered, etc., because this prostration is not subject to the rulings on prayer.”
(Fataawa al-Jaami’ah li’l-mar’ah al-Muslimah, 1/249. See also Question no. 4908)
“With regard to reading Qur’aan, it is not permissible for one who is in a state of janaabah (impurity following sexual activity) to read Qur’aan either from the Mus-haf or otherwise until he has done ghusl, because it was narrated that nothing prevented the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) from reading Qur’aan except janaabah. But if a person has broken his wudoo’ (minor impurity), then it is permissible for him to recite Qur’aan from memory because of the general meaning of the evidence.”
(Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 10/150)
It is better, and is mustahabb, to do wudoo’ before reciting, because this Qur’aan is the Word of Allaah. So it is better to do wudoo’ before reading it as a sign of respect. But touching the Mus-haf is not permissible unless one has done wudoo’, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Which (that Book with Allaah) none can touch but the purified”
[al-Waaqi’ah 56:79]
(Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 10/150)
And Allaah knows best.
With regard to women who are menstruating or bleeding following childbirth, see Question no. 2564.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Source

ژاله
01-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said that reciting Qur’aan does not require covering the head.
wow,, thats great. i thought it was like wajib to cover your head when you recite the quran.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Insaanah
01-14-2010, 08:02 PM

What this means is that the scholars say that there is no evidence from Qur'an or hadeeth to suggest that it is obligatory. However, no scholar has said that you should not cover your hair. Neither has any scholar suggested that it is an innovation to do so.

Most women dress the same for reading Qur'an as they would for salaat (which includes covering hair). This is a good thing. To most women that I know, it would feel disrespectful to not cover hair while reading from the Qur'an. So even though it may not be obligatory, this won't be stopping me from it, inshaAllah.

Allah knows best.

cat eyes
01-15-2010, 04:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
I have never heard about any ruling regard covering the head while hearing the Adhan but here is when reciting the Quran

Source
sister i'm sorry but i don't agree with that fatwa every woman is required to cover her head when reading the Qur'an and when we enter into a mosque and when we pray so tell me dose it make any sense to u at all that we should not cover when reciting the beautiful words of our creator? or where is our respect gone? this is not what i was thought

Danah
01-15-2010, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
sister i'm sorry but i don't agree with that fatwa every woman is required to cover her head when reading the Qur'an and when we enter into a mosque and when we pray so tell me dose it make any sense to u at all that we should not cover when reciting the beautiful words of our creator? or where is our respect gone? this is not what i was thought

Dear sis, its not "us" who agree or not agree with what the scholars said, they are more knowledgeable than us in Quran and Sunnah and we are just laymen. There is no evidence neither from Sunnah nor from Quran that I found said that you "should" cover your head when reciting.

Its true that we should respect the word of God that we recite, but this have nothing to do with covering your head, just wear something modest and make sure that you are pure and made your wudu and thats it.

Yeah some members said in this thread that when we recite Quran we usually wear the same thing that we wear for salah...this is just in case you recite Quran after salah. Imagine you are a student of knowledge who is always have the mushaf in your hand and keep memorizing and reciting Quran many times a day. Do you think that Islam will make it that hard on you to keep wearing your scarf all the day?

dear sis, if there is any evidence you can bring from Quran or Sunnah about the obligation of wearing the hijab.....I will be very grateful to be enlighten by you my dear inshaAllah :)

cat eyes
01-15-2010, 09:22 PM
:sl: Allah should forgive us for what we advise to other muslims and where we get our information from. Ameen.
I just want to say i am not disagreeing with you sister however a fatwa site that has been rebuked by countless of muslims has no value to me what so ever when i want information concerning anything i ring my local scholar or if i am out i go to the mosque or i ask other imams but i am just saying sister that we should be careful of not losing our shame and respect.

a friend of mine now has been studying Qur'an now for a while she is a non muslim when she first started she noticed that a little boy was with his mum and she was sending him there also for Quran studies this little boy had his head covered and so were the other sisters she immediately reached for her handbag and took out her scarf and put it on her head, why? because her common sense and her shame told her to and she is a non muslim. once we get into this habit of not caring anymore this habit will more then likely get worse and before we know it we won't be even caring what clothes we will be wearing when holy Qur'an is our hands.

i have seen pakistani women wearing see through clothing when holding Qur'an and this is what happens when we lose our respect.

i hope i am not sounding extreme here but its not difficult to throw on a veil.
and i hope you understand my point sister. jazakAllah khayran :wa:

Cabdullahi
01-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Ive seen Muslim women that if they participated in a western lady lookalike competition you wouldn't spot them but when it comes to salah they pull out their scarves out of their bags the good thing is they're praying mashallah but they're also trying to please two.....Allah and the outside world in other words the public :(

Muhammad
01-15-2010, 11:39 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
:sl: Allah should forgive us for what we advise to other muslims and where we get our information from. Ameen.
I just want to say i am not disagreeing with you sister however a fatwa site that has been rebuked by countless of muslims has no value to me what so ever when i want information concerning anything i ring my local scholar or if i am out i go to the mosque or i ask other imams but i am just saying sister that we should be careful of not losing our shame and respect.
Dear sister, I am not aware of countless rebukes against this site, but you should know that Shaykh Uthaymeen was one of the senior scholars: "In giving religious verdicts, like Shaykh ibn Baaz, his Fataawa were based on evidence from the Qur.aan and Sunnah. He had about fifty compilations to his credit. He taught Religious Fundamentals at the Sharee'ah Faculty of Imaam Muhammad ibn Sa'ood Islaamic University, Qaseem Branch. He was also a member of the Council of Senior Scholars of the Kingdom, and the Imaam and Khateeb of the big Mosque of Unayzah city."

If someone wishes to wear the hijab out of respect for the Qur'an, that is their choice, but we shouldn't speak without knowledge and claim something is wajib, sunnah etc. without looking into it first. Note that the fatwa is simply speaking from the evidence point of view, not saying you shouldn't respect the Qur'an.

And Allaah (swt) knows best.

Thread closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.