/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pink & Sexism?

Beardo
01-05-2010, 05:27 AM
Is it sexist to think a female's favorite color is pink or purple?

Is it tomboy-ish for a girl to like blue/green?

I don't know why, but this just clicked in my head.

Actually no. There's these baby girls at my Masjid, and they always talk about things with the color pink. Then this other little girl came to my house and said I shouldn't think she likes pink just because she's a girl. That was a verbal slap in the face...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
01-05-2010, 05:34 AM
Rashad;1270603]Is it sexist to think a female's favorite color is pink or purple?
Never! I'm drooling over the pink nick

Is it tomboy-ish for a girl to like blue/green?
I've never understood how some girls like them colours lol :hiding:
I don't know why, but this just clicked in my head.

Actually no. There's these baby girls at my Masjid, and they always talk about things with the color pink. Then this other little girl came to my house and said I shouldn't think she likes pink just because she's a girl. That was a verbal slap in the face...
Lol sounds like something my niece would say. But yeh most girls like pink.

Now can I have a pink nick? :statisfie

Beardo
01-05-2010, 05:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
Never! I'm drooling over the pink nick

I've never understood how some girls like them colours lol :hiding:

Lol sounds like something my niece would say. But yeh most girls like pink.

Now can I have a pink nick? :statisfie
Well, the pink color only comes from zAk... And only when he wants to express his love. Like how he changed Alpha Dude's nick to pink. Now he's hitting on me. I wonder if his wife is aware of these flirtatious acts....? Well, he has 3 more spots left....

Yeah, I agree with you. I mean, I used to think girls should stick to their pink and purple, and guys should stick to their blue and green and black.

Actually, some auntie wanted me to help them buy an ipod for their daughter. So I went to the store and picked out the pink iPod as requested. I told the saleswoman... "By the way... This is for some other girl. Not me." And she was like "Honey, guys can like pink too! :D " ... I don't think she took me seriously when it was for someone else... :hmm:

Tilmeez
01-05-2010, 05:50 AM
I voted for option 3 :X

Its Off the topic I know but I have to tell you that Its quite normal posting such threads after zAk attacks.

Get well soon, Ukhtee!:skeleton:

PS: Pls correct the information shown on Gendermeter.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
01-05-2010, 05:51 AM
How is it sexist? So if most men like beautiful women, is it sexist to say that? Not all women like pink. Some women even hate it. But many women ive known, they do like pink.

Maybe its the way our mind has been wired, pink seems to be associated to women. even if this wiring is broken by "increasing awareness" and fighting "sexism," I doubt ill ever wear a pink t shirt. I dont like the color.

Beardo
01-05-2010, 05:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
How is it sexist? So if most men like beautiful women, is it sexist to say that? Not all women like pink. Some women even hate it. But many women ive known, they do like pink.

Maybe its the way our mind has been wired, pink seems to be associated to women. even if this wiring is broken by "increasing awareness" and fighting "sexism," I doubt ill ever wear a pink t shirt. I dont like the color.
I don't like to wear: Pink, Purple, Red, Orange... etc.

My grandma said next time I go to Bangladesh I have to wear a Red Shirt. I don't know how to tell her I can't... She made me promise too.... :hmm:

CosmicPathos
01-05-2010, 06:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
I don't like to wear: Pink, Purple, Red, Orange... etc.

My grandma said next time I go to Bangladesh I have to wear a Red Shirt. I don't know how to tell her I can't... She made me promise too.... :hmm:
awww. If I were in your shoes, i would do it to please my grand ma. :)

*charisma*
01-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Girls generally do like pink...but not all girls do. I was one of the girl's that didn't, but I wasn't a tomboy either.

fi aman allah
wsalaam

Rafeeq
01-05-2010, 09:53 AM
I was thinking Rashad is a male but today I came to know he is She, m I right? Pardon me if I commit a mistake.

Alpha Dude
01-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Only a hippy feminist would think it is. :hiding:

Cabdullahi
01-05-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't like pointless threads like these

Asiyah3
01-05-2010, 12:09 PM
This thread made me like pink Somehow you all made it sound sooo beautiful :scared:'

I see pink as I see other colours, except that I wouldn't use pink clothes

However, I'm crazy about red :heated:

When I tell people that my fav colour is red they all are like "I don't see you wearing/having red things often."

Well, what to say? I don't buy things based on their colours <_< That'd be sexist & unfair concerning colours :p

S_87
01-05-2010, 12:23 PM
what is available for little girls mostly is pink/fluffy/princessy things but i think as they get older its different.

youre talking about kids only i take it though?

Alpha Dude
01-05-2010, 02:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
youre talking about kids only i take it though?
Yeah, probably. Women stop being females once they grow up. :exhausted

"Is it sexist to think a female's favorite color is pink/purple?"

جوري
01-05-2010, 06:52 PM
our mind is not wired to like pink.. it is force fed us from birth....

try buying yellow for your expecting loved ones and the outcome will prove different!

:w:

Hayaa
01-05-2010, 06:54 PM
We're just conditioned into thinking that blue is male and pink is female. Personally, I prefer black/red/turquiose. Once I saw a guy wearing a shirt that said 'Only tough guys wear pink'. :D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-05-2010, 07:30 PM
I used to like pink, somehow i think we're naturally attracted to that color. I didnt know which colors r male or female as a kiddo...but i did like it..now my fave is blue...:D

it's not sexist per se....like sis haya said, we're just conditioned with that thinking...you'd be surprised how many females dont like pink lol...

Cabdullahi
01-05-2010, 07:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
I used to like pink, somehow i think we're naturally attracted to that color. I didnt know which colors r male or female as a kiddo...but i did like it..now my fave is blue...:D

it's not sexist per se....like sis haya said, we're just conditioned with that thinking...you'd be surprised how many females dont like pink lol...
you like it because you were programmed to love barbie and barbie wore pink its not rocket science

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-05-2010, 07:50 PM
You're talking as if you were there when I was growing up. Hmm yea it's definitely not rocket science for you... : )

Musaafirah
01-05-2010, 08:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Yeah, probably. Women stop being females once they grow up. :exhausted

"Is it sexist to think a female's favorite color is pink/purple?"
Somebody shoot him!

I never liked pink when I was little. I wasn't a tomboy either, I just like my TMNT toys better than the dolls I'd be given.
However, I now like the look of pale pink, to such and extent that my room's pink :D
Not a gory oink though...

Oh and I voted 'What the pakoras...?'

Will we be getting any?

Cabdullahi
01-05-2010, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
You're talking as if you were there when I was growing up. Hmm yea it's definitely not rocket science for you... : )
No madame i was not there when u were growing up but if you didnt like barbie when you were small then you must have liked bratz

if not bratz then

hello kitty?

maybe be this one?

like i said its not rocket science most girl products contain pink its like this now and it was like that when you were growing up

layla is here
01-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Assalamu alaykum wrwb,
My favourite colour is blue!
But I also like pink as a second choice.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-05-2010, 09:02 PM
i forgot wat i voted...

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
01-05-2010, 09:13 PM
i voted for the 2nd coz its not the 1st & i dont know abt the 3rd!

Hope tht makes sense?!

Danah
01-05-2010, 09:18 PM
what a thread! :hmm:
I voted for No. I think it has nothing to do with sexism to think about pink or any other certain colors. It depends on the thing that this color will be in. A pink rose might be good but a pink shoe can be awful.

I like Green in general, it make me feel peace. I hate the very bright pink, ex: your username color......it hurts my eyes to be honest.

Some girls like red, is that make any difference?

hope we wont get our names changed to pink one day!

Güven
01-05-2010, 09:19 PM
I don't think it's sexism....

Al Mu'minaat
01-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Same Here..:)

Donia
01-05-2010, 10:00 PM
I actually like green. :)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-05-2010, 11:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
No madame i was not there when u were growing up but if you didnt like barbie when you were small then you must have liked bratz

if not bratz then

hello kitty?

maybe be this one?

like i said its not rocket science most girl products contain pink its like this now and it was like that when you were growing up
I don't think bratz existed more than 12 yrs ago....? I didn't know what hello kitty was until i saw my friend with hello kitty stuff in HIGH SCHOOL....to say thats what was there at the time i was gorwing up doesnt mean...i shuld admit to dolls. Yes i did have dolls, but its not why i liked it, in fact it was never my favorite color...

cat eyes
01-06-2010, 01:55 AM
well i like pink but i really love black and red

BoredAgnostic
01-06-2010, 06:15 AM
I never really liked the color pink until I was older-(I think pink goes real well with black now). When I was kid, my sister played with barbies and I played with remote control cars/motorcyles, toy lizards/snakes, collected rocks, etc. :s

Raudha
01-15-2010, 10:23 PM
What the Pakoras?

What does that mean? :hiding:

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-17-2010, 12:44 AM
Aslaamu alaaykum..
I think it is because not all girls like the colour pink, so yeah :)
Am sure there are guys who like the colours pink and purple :p

Life_Is_Short
01-17-2010, 02:34 AM
:sl:

I like all the colours but i especially hate pink and purple. :enough!:

My dad thinks girls like orange. :giggling:

Beardo
01-17-2010, 03:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Raudha
What the Pakoras?

What does that mean? :hiding:
Pakoras is an Indian food item. It's basically fried onions with some batter stuff. :X

Raudha
01-17-2010, 07:36 PM
^ :><: So how exactly does that become an option in relation to the topic of discussion? :-[

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-17-2010, 07:38 PM
^^^ Lol basically its like saying "What the heck?" or "what on earth you talkin bout?"
hope i made sense InshaAllaah lol

Raudha
01-17-2010, 07:56 PM
^ooohhh....ok...Thank you very much dear sis :)

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-17-2010, 07:57 PM
^ Your are most welcome my dear Sistah :) :D..

Minniiee..Mee..
01-17-2010, 08:21 PM
A/Aleykum
I like pink nt too much but i like it and i love it when boys wear lightt pink i think it suits them really well. NOt all of them wear the colour coz they think its giirly lol so i really admire the ones that do

Abz2000
02-13-2019, 03:11 PM
God knows how this 9 year old thread hit the latest posts section but yeah, it is reported that there was a certain bright reddish yellow colour which he appeared to dislike on men, (possibly saffron?) but was ok with women wearing it except during pilgrimage.

Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 4057 Narrated by Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As
The Messenger of Allah (saws) saw me. I think I wore a garment dyed with a reddish yellow colour. He asked: What is this? So I went and burnt it. The Prophet (saws) said: What have you done with your garment? I replied: I burnt it. He (saws) said: Why did you not give it to one of your women to wear?

Or maybe because the idolator men wore it as a religious symbol? Allah :swt: knows best

-------

Red: It was reported that wearing pure red is forbidden for men, but not for women, because of the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade mafdam” (reported by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah, 3591). Mafdam is something that is filled with red safflower dye. According to the commentary of al-Sindi on Sunan al-Nisaa’i, mafdam is something that is filled with red. It was reported that if ‘Umar saw a man wearing a garment dyed red with safflower, he would pull him aside and say, “Leave this for the women.” (Reported by al-Tabari).

‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr said: “A man who was wearing two red garments passed by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and greeted him with salaam, but the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not respond.” (Reported by Abu Dawood and al-Tirmidhi, and classed as hasan by al-Bazzaar, who said: we know it only through this isnaad, which includes Abu Yahya al-Qattaat, who is a disputed figure).

There were several suggestions as to why men are forbidden to wear red, including the following:

because it is the dress of the kuffaar

because it is the adornment of women, so forbidding it is a way of discouraging the imitation of women

because it is vanity and does not befit a decent man to wear it

The prohibition applies only to garments that are dyed completely red. Garments that contain another colour such as white, black, etc. are not forbidden. This is how the ahaadeeth that speak about the red hullah should be interpreted, such as the hadeeth of al-Bara’ (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was of average height. I saw him wearing a red hullah, and I have never seen anything better than it.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 5400). The Yemeni hullah usually has stripes of red and another colour, it is not pure red.

Ibn al-Qayyim, may Allaah have mercy on him, said: “The clothing (of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)): Abu’l-Waleed told us Shu’bah told us from Abu Ishaaq who heard al-Bara’ (may Allaah be pleased with him) saying: ‘The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was of average height. I saw him wearing a red hullah, and I have never seen anything better than it.’ The hullah consists of an izaar and a rida’ (lower and upper garments)… It is a mistake to think that it was pure red and not mixed with any other colour. The red hullah is two Yemeni garments woven with red and black stripes like all the other Yemeni garments… But pure red is emphatically forbidden. In Saheeh al-Bukhaari it is stated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade red saddlecloths (or blankets) … With regard to red garments in general and red broadcloth, etc., the issue is still under discussion, but it is very disliked (makrooh).” (Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1/139). And Allaah knows best.

https://www.quora.com/My-friend-who-...ard-to-believe

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.