/* */

PDA

View Full Version : TiPs oN MeMoRiSiNg ThE QuRaN

Hamza Asadullah
01-05-2010, 08:37 PM
TiPs oN MeMoRiSiNg ThE QuRaN

Abu Bakr sent four armies to fight the nemesis of Musaylimah Al-Kadhdhab, the liar who had claimed he was a Prophet and God's Messenger. The armies contained the most senior of Sahabah and their slogan for the battle was, "Oh companions of Surat Al-Baqarah!"

The battle raged on and the forces of Musaylimah AlKadhdhab were winning. The Sahabah could not lose; they would not lose. 'Ammar ibn Yasser (RA) mounted a rock and called to all the Muslim fighters, "YAA HAMALAT AL-QURAN!!" Oh carriers of the Qur'an!

He gathered a battalion of Sahabah that only consisted of the Huffadh. Every fighter at the side of 'Ammar ibn Yasser had memorized the Qur'an in his heart. The battle was won!

Back to today. Have you ever been in a Masjid with elder respected members of a community, but when Salah time comes, a young pious man unassuming brother steps forward from amongst everyone and leads the congregation? Why was this young boy honoured such? Someone whispers into your ear, "Oh, don't you know? He memorized the Qu'ran by heart."

The Prophet (SAWW) said, "Verily, Allah elevates some people with this Qur'an and abases others.''

This article is meant [for] those who have taken their first steps, not those who are still waiting for motivation. It is dedicated to all our young brothers and sisters in Qu'ran Hifdh schools (and all the wannabes). Insha Allah, I will discuss how you can become more effective in your memorization of the Qur'an.

Let me ask this question, "Who wants to memorize the Qur'an?" No doubt, the hands initially will rise slowly, but then almost everyone should have their hand raised. But, most truthfully, is that desire a sincere, heartfelt desire? If it was, then action would follow. If I said, "Who wants to lose weight?" Most people would raise their hands and upon being asked would mention the steps they are taking to achieve their goal. What steps are we taking to memorize the Qur'an if indeed our intentions are passionate?

I would like to tell you a story of my own. A few months ago, I was sitting in a Halal chicken restaurant in Canada. All of a sudden, one of my classmates from the Qur'an school I went to when I was young entered. We hugged each other and sat together reminiscing about our days in Qur'an school. I told him about Allah's blessings upon me and my family. He said to me, "Muhammad, I swear by Allah, I still remember the day when you came to the school and you couldn't read alif-baa-taa correctly!" How best do we make use of our time?

We attend school for about 13 years. Then another 4 or 6 or 10 years at a University. More then 15 years of our life in such a slow process. Why? Because, we see the benefit of education for prosperity on earth. Why then do we not see such a rush to memorize the book of Allah? Perhaps the benefits are not readily apparent. Consider the following:

While other children are playing games and eating bubble gum, your child could be memorizing thousands of pages from the book of Allah. How does this benefit them? Quite obviously, the child's mind is trained at such a young age to absorb information and facts. When the child who memorized the Qur'an is put in a class with bubblegum chewing / Play station absorbed children, there is little doubt who will be the head of the class.

Isn't this what every parent wants?

Umar's Dawee an-Nahl observed: What is our 'Goldness'? On the highway, it's music and tv. Our golden generations were not golden because they watched tv and listened to music. They were golden because of their buzzing with the Qur'an.

When a young brother or sister is blessed with the gift of memorizing the entire Qur'an, it is a sign that Allah Ta'ala loves them! Many humans chase after material wealth. They may achieve it, but that is not a sign that Allah loves them. Look at Fir'own, he had everything of the material world, but he was one of the most hated humans because of his actions.

Moses prayed: "Our Lord! Thou hast indeed bestowed on Pharaoh and his chiefs splendor and wealth in the life of the present, and so, Our Lord, they mislead (men) from Thy Path. Deface our Lord, the features of their wealth, and send hardness to their hearts, so they will not believe until they see the grievous penalty." [Qur'an 10:88]

And more than material wealth, what humans really want in life is significance and contribution. No one wants to live their life without having done something for their Deen and the betterment of life on earth.

We want to leave a legacy.

With that in mind, notice the life of a Haafidh. From a very young age, he or she is pushed into a position of leadership. Consider it a mere 10% shift in their path. In the beginning it seems like a little, but after 20 or 50 years, it becomes a different destiny.

Notice the young brothers that memorized the Qur'an in your community, they are already pushed to the front of the congregation by virtue of their accomplishment. They, at this early start, are forced to contribute to the community and live a life of significance, Bi-idhnillah. That's what we all want. The Qur'an can do it for you.

But these gifts have a condition: the Taqwa of Allah. There is one absolute naseeha (advice) that will make or break the persons drive to memorize the Qur'an: One must desist from sin! Ibn Mas'ood said, "I feel that indeed someone will forget knowledge they had a acquired because of sins they commit."

When some Ulemas are confronted with Fiqh Mas'alah that they are unable to conclude, they would get up and pray two raka'at in tawbah to Allah. These are people who truly knew the prize to be won. Allah Ta'ala teaches us in the Qur'an: [Be conscious of Allah and Allah will teach you.] This knowledge is from Allah ta'ala, a gift. It makes no sense that someone spends their nights disobeying the gift-giver while awaiting His gifts in the morning.

In this country, the wealthy are followed and studied. What are the secrets of massive accumulation of wealth? I wish someone would do a study on Huffadh. I've done my own surveying (albeit unscientific) of those who accomplished the memorization of the Qur'an. Every Hafidh I know has strong encouraging parents. I do not have any examples of anyone who memorized the Qur'an who has an irreligious family.

One parent I know has two and soon to be three, Insha Allah, of his children who memorized the Qur'an. I know you're thinking, three! Hey share some of those kids with ours, that's not fair. Well, I contemplated his situation. The father takes his children to class and at the same time, he tries his utmost to memorize the Qur'an himself. His children, day after day, see their father practicing his words. They don't hear him say things like, 'Hey kids, don't be like me.' Absolutely not.

The key: if you want your children to be effective in their Deen and their memorization of Qur'an, YOU have to be the one that you want your children to become. Do not let them see a contradiction.

When I was young, I did not want to go to a Qur'an school. Subhan Allah. I went to that Qur'an school, I went to Islamic University and here I am today. I recently received a beautiful email after giving a lecture to the Canadian Hujjaj, my father's group. While I spoke, my father had his head up high, smiling and crying during the speech. The brother wrote in his email that he was watching my father during the lecture. It dawned on him that Muhammad is here today giving this speech because of the dua of this man! I hadn't contemplated it much until I read that email, for indeed it is correct. After the tawfeeq of Allah, it was the dua of my parents for me that helped me become who I am.

The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said, "The heart that has no Qur'an in it is like an abandoned ruined dwelling." What kind of home would you like your heart to dwell in?

Excusitis, is a most powerful sickness that keeps people back from accomplishing in life. Excuse-itis. If you interview effective people, you will rarely find them making excuses. If you want to succeed in your memorization, never make excuses. Do what you have to do. I forbid those around me from making excuses. I advise the same for you. Do what you have to do to accomplish. If you cannot, then do not make excuses.

One of the interesting excuses is: "I have to completely understand the Qur'an before I memorize it. I have to know Arabic, and Fiqh and Hadith before I start from the source." Do not look at what a scholar is currently reading or studying. Look at what he did in the beginning. Every single scholar I have ever met started with Qur'an, nothing else. If you want to accumulate massive knowledge of this Deen, you must begin with memorization of the Qur'an. The children in the Hifdh school are well on their way to accomplishing massive accumulation of knowledge of this deen by virtue of their Hifdh. Bi idhnillah.

Let me give you two views by two very different people and how they look at the challenges of life:

Person 1: "Oh man, that's a killer. I can't do that. This time I just give up. Looks like I'm finally whipped. I'll never amount to anything. I'm tired."

Person 2: "Awesome, that was the kind of challenge I've been waiting for. Yaa Rabb, I am going to make you proud of me. I'm going to give it my best. I'm going to pump 110% of my energy into every part of this challenge!"

Guess which one will succeed in their memorization of the Qur'an. That's right, the second one. Why? Because the second one has the right attitude.

When I hear someone talking about their attempts to memorize Qur'an, I can usually tell which category they have locked themselves into. It is not the Qur'an. The Qur'an is easy to remember. Allah ta'ala testifies to that in the Qur'an: [And verily we made the Qur'an easy to remember, so is there anyone who will take heed?]

If you think it's easy for you, it is. If you think it is hard for you, it is. It is your attitude that determines it.

Below are some quick tips that will help you in memorizing the Qur'an:

You absolutely must have a teacher. Do NOT memorize on your own. You must have a teacher who you respect and whom you fear. Don't ask 'how' to memorize the Qur'an. Ask where you can find the best teacher. The teacher will then guide you on the 'how'.

Distractions. In memorizing the Qur'an, you must free your mind and environment of distractions. Imagine trying to memorize at a football game? Tough, huh? How about a theme park, could you sit down and control yourself to memorize? Probably not. Getting into a Qur'an Hifdh program with a teacher and discipline will assist you in creating the perfect atmosphere for memorization.

Memorize through Audio. A lot of people think they are memorizing the 'look' of the Mushaf, but actually you are memorizing the 'sound' of Ayat. When I review, I record my recitation on CD and listen to it again and again. The students that read the loudest in class are all the strongest students. Why? Because they can hear themselves the most?

When I was in Qur'an school, the boy beside me read so loud. I asked the teacher to ask him to read more quietly. He said a most powerful statement that became my motto: "No, you read louder!" I did and it benefited me unbelievably.

Location of the Mushaf. Your eyes follow a specific direction depending on what you are thinking or doing. If you are lying, your eyes go left. If you are remembering something visual, like where you left your keys, your eyes will look upwards.

When you memorize, the direction of memorization is right and left, not downwards. The mistake I see people make is that they put their mushaf low on the ground and then try to memorize. In order to fully harness the power of your mind, you must keep the mushaf at eye level, and not dip your head..

Eat brain food. We've all heard the advice of uncles that you have to eat Badams (almonds) to improve memory. Well, I'm here to tell you that the uncles were right! The food you eat, the drinks you drink, directly affect your ability to excel in memorization of the Qur'an.

Do not eat fatty, unhealthy food. Do not drink fizzy drinks. Eat a nutritious light breakfast, a nutritious light lunch, with almonds for snacks during the day. Subhan Allah, you will find you accomplish much more in your day.

Make everyday a victory. You can move a mountain rock by rock. Enjoy every page you memorize, every Ayah.

I am often asked about my secret to memorizing the Qur'an. They are expecting me to teach them a special 'south-beach-hifdh-diet' or something. (I call it tip shopping, they are expecting a specific tip). I say again and again, there is no doubt that there are three ingredients. If you have these three ingredients, you will accomplish what you set out for:

Dua, supplication (you must always reflect your desire to Allah).

Sabr, patience.

Taqwa, protecting yourself from sin.

If you do not remember anything from this article except these three ingredients (DST - Dua, Sabr, Taqwa - DST) then, bi idhnillah, it will suffice.

The Prophet (SAWW) said, "The one who was devoted to the Qur'an will be told on the Day of Resurrection: `Recite and ascend (in ranks) as you used to recite when you were in the world. Your rank will be at the last Ayah you recite.''

How many ranks will you climb on the Day of Resurrection? How many ranks would you like to climb?

Courtesy:
http://www.lutonmuslims.co.uk/hifdhtips.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Misz_Muslimah
01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Jazaakalahu khayran for sharing..
and may Allah bless you for the tips..
:wa:

cat eyes
01-06-2010, 09:24 PM
:sl:i want to memorize the holy Qur'an i was amazed how quickly i learn't arabic i think my heart would be 100percent in it inshaAllah so what teacher do i have to approach? no women do it where i live so imam will teach me if i ask him?

tango92
01-06-2010, 09:33 PM
^depends on the imam really. some have experience with hifz and others simply dont have the time to teach. - its pretty rough living being an imam as they often dont have time for full time work.

you can do hifz on your own if you have the commitment. if you can read arabic set yourself goals each day and keep working on meeting them. and dont think youll fit hifz into your routine because your life will start to revolve around your hifdh, if you do it properly.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al Mu'minaat
01-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Jazakhalah Kharyran Brother Hamza... thats the same problems ive got sis - cat eyes...
but inshallah Allah will help us...and all of the muslims..

cat eyes
01-06-2010, 09:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
^depends on the imam really. some have experience with hifz and others simply dont have the time to teach. - its pretty rough living being an imam as they often dont have time for full time work.

you can do hifz on your own if you have the commitment. if you can read arabic set yourself goals each day and keep working on meeting them. and dont think youll fit hifz into your routine because your life will start to revolve around your hifdh, if you do it properly.
yeah i know maybe if i just grab 20minutes of his time each week :p i am so desperateimsad and i yearn for knowledge. the sisters at my mosque are not interested maybe thats y they dont hold any classes :(

cat eyes
01-06-2010, 09:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Mu'minaat
Jazakhalah Kharyran Brother Hamza... thats the same problems ive got sis - cat eyes...
but inshallah Allah will help us...and all of the muslims..
inshaAllah :) sis my pms are open now if u want to pm me..:p u were probably wondering y i disabled pms just thought id tell u. do keep in touch xx

abu salaahudeen
01-16-2010, 09:24 PM
im trying to memorise the 1st 30 verses of baqarah

the 1st 12 were relatively easy Alhamdulilah

Hamza Asadullah
01-17-2010, 03:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abu salaahudeen
im trying to memorise the 1st 30 verses of baqarah

the 1st 12 were relatively easy Alhamdulilah
:sl: Mashallah may Allah give all of us the ability to learn the Qur'an. We should all make intention to learn and if we die in the state of having the intention then Allah may reward us as we actually learnt the whole Qur'an. Subhanallah!

AlHoda
01-17-2010, 06:48 PM
:sl: I have a question, i have a Quran teacher which my parents got for me about two and a half years ago, she is a really good teacher, may Allah bless her, but it is me who is the problem. You see, I never put any effort in memerorizing the quran, I took it for granted, and now I see my mistake, and want to do good. But the problem is that I want start over again,but I am now in surat al sadja but the surats before that I just simply forgot. How do I approach this problem, Jaza'allahughair.
May Allah bless you in the quran memorization.

Snowflake
01-17-2010, 07:01 PM
:sl: Bro Hamza, what is the view on memorizing Quran without correcting one's tajweed first?

Myself, I don't agree with it as it means you're reciting the Quran wrong. But people do it. An imaam even told my mum go ahead with memorizing al Quran, even though her tajweed is so bad.

As a urdu-punjabi speaker, I've also noticed it's harder to correct tajweed if you've memorized the Quran/part of it without the correct tajweed. Sometimes even now my tajweed is good (not perfect) I accidently still say some letters in the urdu way because that's how I was taught. So shouldn't we correct our tajweed first before memorizing al Quran?

Sawdah
01-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Beneficial tips.:)
Jazakallah Khair brother.

Hamza Asadullah
03-16-2010, 03:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
:sl: Bro Hamza, what is the view on memorizing Quran without correcting one's tajweed first?

Myself, I don't agree with it as it means you're reciting the Quran wrong. But people do it. An imaam even told my mum go ahead with memorizing al Quran, even though her tajweed is so bad.

As a urdu-punjabi speaker, I've also noticed it's harder to correct tajweed if you've memorized the Quran/part of it without the correct tajweed. Sometimes even now my tajweed is good (not perfect) I accidently still say some letters in the urdu way because that's how I was taught. So shouldn't we correct our tajweed first before memorizing al Quran?

Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, i apologise for the late reply sister. It is always harder to break out of habit which one has learned over long perioud of time time. But it can be broken. I myself was taught tajweed incorrectly as a child and in my teens i learnt from a reliable local scholar because i knew i was;nt reading correctly and it did depress me at first but i took the steps to rectify the situation.

My mother is also learning correct tajweed now after a whole life time of reading without correct pronounciation but it can be done with determination inshallah.

It is a sin to continue reading the Qur'an without correct pronounciation. It maybe that one may read a letter or word incorrectly and the whole meaning of the verse may change.

So when one has realised that ones tajweed is not correct then steps should be taken to rectify ones tajweed and one should not be embarressed no matter what age one is. People learn tajweed of all ages.

Ones goal should be to rectify ones tajweed so as to gain the pleasure of Allah by reading the most sacred words in this universe correctly with proper pronounciation. It is a big sin to know that one cannot read properly and continue to do so without taking the relevant steps to rectify ones tajweed.

May Allah give us all the ability to read with correct pronounciation. Ameen

Hamza Asadullah
03-26-2010, 03:56 PM
How To Memorize the Qur'an 7 TipsThat Will Help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTCHjyRWBuI

Hamza Asadullah
09-18-2010, 09:23 PM
May Allah give all of us the ability to learn the Qur'an. Ameen

muslimahhhh
09-18-2010, 11:36 PM
^Aameen

Very good post, MashaAllah.

fahim kamran
10-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Jabir narrates from Rasool-Allah , "Whoever does duaa to Allah, Allah fulfills his seeking or in exchange averts misfortune until the duaa is not related to sin or breaking some relation." (Tirmizi)

Yassouid
11-30-2010, 04:19 AM
I have a great sincerity to memorize the whole Quran. Unfortunately, I am already 20 years old, do not have a teacher and live in a part of New York where i cannot find one (small muslim community, we do have weekly recitations with the Imam, but its a large group and they focus on reading correctly not memorization).

Al-hamdella my parents are great! But they did not push me to memorize a large portion of the Quran at a young age.

I know its not too late to memorize the Quran, and I am not asking for a "secret trick" that will all a sudden implant the Quran and all its teaching in my brain over night, but i was wondering what would be the correct next step.

I have looked at a lot of transliterations which help me make sure that my pronunciation is not completely incorrect (but the Quran deserves perfection!), i downloaded a slow recitation that i can repeat after or along with, but even with these two resources the chances of having correct Tajweed is impossible.

I wish i could take a year or two off school to attend a Islamic University, but i do not know if thats possible now. Does anyone have any advice or resources that could help along the way?

I just feel that as a Ummah we are so lucky to have the ability to hold between our hands the words of Allah (saw), to be holding infinite wisdom between my hands, but not being able to correctly read and memorize it, disappoints me greatly.

Inshallah, Allah (saw) will give me the sabr and strength to get through this initial hardship. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Jazakallah Khairan!

Ibn Abi Ukhti
12-01-2010, 05:02 AM
:bism:

:salam:

Check out this blog I discovered:

http://bearersofquran.com/

أبو سليمان عمر
12-01-2010, 05:29 AM
i remember asking one brother who memrized the quran in 30-35 days he said read and repeat it over and over subhan Allah

but for me depending on the person read the first 5 ayahs 20-25 times then the next 5 20-25 times then both 20-25 times then the next 5 ayahs 20-25 times then all 3 20-25 times and so on so on as much as you can do

Yassouid
12-01-2010, 07:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by أبو سليمان عمر
i remember asking one brother who memrized the quran in 30-35 days he said read and repeat it over and over subhan Allah

but for me depending on the person read the first 5 ayahs 20-25 times then the next 5 20-25 times then both 20-25 times then the next 5 ayahs 20-25 times then all 3 20-25 times and so on so on as much as you can do
Salaam:
El-hamdella i memorized about 10 ayah's today and 10 yesterday. I started by finishing off the sura's of Juza amma that i unfortunately never learned, but inshallah i will be done with that soon if i keep at this pace.

Do you suggest starting from the beginning? I am only afraid that Al-Baqarah's length might be beyond my current level.

I also heard that one should finish (recitation) the Quran every 30 days (or at the most every 60 days) or they will be categorized poorly on the day of judgement. Should i continue to read through the Quran on a daily basis or only focus on the parts I am memorizing.

I dont know how to ask this last question, but would fasting daily, and doing the majority of the memorization while fasting, be beneficial to the memorization process?

I am sorry for asking so many question!

Jazakallah Khairan!

أبو سليمان عمر
12-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Salaam:
El-hamdella i memorized about 10 ayah's today and 10 yesterday. I started by finishing off the sura's of Juza amma that i unfortunately never learned, but inshallah i will be done with that soon if i keep at this pace.
insha Allah niyah and countune and insha Allah u will get it in no time
Do you suggest starting from the beginning? I am only afraid that Al-Baqarah's length might be beyond my current level.
the small ones first so the end and wants you in that mood meaning you memorize daliy it gets easier and easier to memorize alhumdulillah

I also heard that one should finish (recitation) the Quran every 30 days (or at the most every 60 days) or they will be categorized poorly on the day of judgement. Should i continue to read through the Quran on a daily basis or only focus on the parts I am memorizing.
Allah knows best i havnt heard of this and i have looked and didnt find any athaar for this so i cant say this is true but it is a great thing to read the quran as much as you can becasue of its rewardes such as Ibn Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Whoever recites a letter from the Book of Allah, he will be credited with a good deed, and a good deed gets a ten-fold reward. I do not say that Alif-Lam-Mim is one letter, but Alif is a letter, Lam is a letter and Mim is a letter.''
[At-Tirmidhi]. and there is many more
as for reading or foucsing some times akhi we cant handle memorizing too much for a day so set a time to read like after fajr till sun comes up or at night before you sleep or more and set times to when u will memorize personal i do it after fajr becasue im not tired at that time but to each his own

I dont know how to ask this last question, but would fasting daily, and doing the majority of the memorization while fasting, be beneficial to the memorization process?
well fasting daliy isnt from the sunnah actully it is not good Hadeeth No. 4731 - Narrated Anas bin Malik:A group of three men came to the houses of the wives of the Prophet asking how the Prophet worshipped (Allah), and when they were informed about that, they considered their worship insufficient and said, "Where are we from the Prophet as his past and future sins have been forgiven." Then one of them said, "I will offer the prayer throughout the night forever." The other said, "I will fast throughout the year and will not break my fast." The third said, "I will keep away from the women and will not marry forever." Allah's Apostle came to them and said, "Are you the same people who said so-and-so? By Allah, I am more submissive to Allah and more afraid of Him than you; yet I fast and break my fast, I do sleep and I also marry women. So he who does not follow my tradition in religion, is not from me (not one of my followers)."
and sorry im not sure if fasting will help but it is great reward Allah knows best
I am sorry for asking so many question!
no need to be sorry akhi this is advice from my own experience so insha Allah it helps

wa iyaak may Allah bless you with that which is good Ameen and may he make us firm in His deen

ah i almost forgot after you get so much done try to find somone who knows the quran like an imam or someone you know to be learnt in this and have him hear you if you can atleast once a week is good more is good also and if not once every ten days just to make sure you got the recitation right for this is important

Muhaba
12-01-2010, 11:09 AM
read a portion of the verse 7 times until you can read it without looking at it, then continue to the next portion. do this until you have memorized the whole verse and can read it well without looking. Go on to the next verse. afte ryou'vememorized that, try to read both verses without looking. continue this until you've memorized the page. the next day, revise what you memorized the previous day then start with the new page.

Beardo
12-03-2010, 02:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibn Abi Ukhti
:bism:

:salam:

Check out this blog I discovered:

http://bearersofquran.com/
Masha-Allah, what a great discovery. :p

أبو سليمان عمر
12-04-2010, 03:26 AM
Ways to Accomplish the task of Memorizing the Qura'an

These are some of the ways one can use in order to complete their memorization of the Qura'an. I ask Allah to make it beneficial and grant you success to accomplish this Great Task. Aameen

If you memorize one verse a day from the quran you will complete your memorizations in 17 years and 7 months and nine days

If you memorize 2 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 8 years and 9 months and 18 days

If you memorize 4 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 4 years and 4 months and 24 days

If you memorize 5 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 3 years and 3 months and 16 days

If you memorize 6 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 2 years and 11 months and 4 days

If you memorze 7 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 2 years and 6 months and 3 days

If you memorize 8 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 2 years and 6 months and 12 days

If you memorize 9 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 1 year and 11 monts and 12 days

If you memorize 10 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 1 year and 9 months and 3 days

If you memorize 11 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 1 year and 7 months and 6 days

If you memorize 12 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 1 year and 5 months and 5 days

If you memorize 13 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 1 year and 4 months and 6 days

If you memorize 14 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 1 year and 3 months ONLY

If you memorize 15 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 1 year and 2 months and 1 day

If you memorize 16 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 1 year and 1 month and 6 days

If you memorize 17 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 1 year and 10 days

If you memorize 18 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 11 months and 19 days

If you memorize 19 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 11 months and 1 day

If you memorize 20 verses a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 10 months and 16 days

If you memorize 1 page a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 1 year and 8 months and 12 days

If you memorize 2 pages a day from the quran you will complete your memorization in 10 months and 6 days

To be followed InshaAllah
taken from aloloom.net

ayesha.ansari
12-23-2010, 08:09 AM
the basic tip is to read the Quran verses not all of them. read some verses then repeat them time by time. when you memorize them then listen to them time by time then go for the next verses.

Hamza Asadullah
08-02-2011, 04:25 PM
10 steps to memorising the Quran

Memorising the Quran is a great virtuous deed. It will intercede for the one who memorises it and will also act as prevention for one to enter Hell-Fire. According to ahadith, it is also narrated that Allah will never put a person in Hell-Fire who has any part of the Quran in his heart.

The 'Golden Age', as described by the classical scholars is between the ages 5 to 23 years. Definitely the golden age is the best time to memorise the Quran as it is the peak of a person's memory. This age factor is a great bonus and aid for those wishing to memorise the Quran and should be utilised by the person immediately.

Below are 10 simple steps a person needs to practice in order to memorise the Quran fast and effectively:

1. Al-Ikhlas - Sincerity

The first step to ease the memorisation of the Quran is sincerity. The person must memorise the Quran for the sake of reward and to please Allah. Not to show off, aim to impress others or in order to get a Job (e.g. as Imaam of the Masjid).

2. Correct the pronunciation and recitation

Another factor that will help a person memorise the Quran is to correct the pronunciation and recitation of the Quran. This can be achieved by listening to a Qari whose style of recitation you like and makes you feel connected to the Quran.

3. Specify how many verses you want to memorise on a daily basis

For example, commit yourself to memorise 3, 5, 10, 20 verses per day.

If you give yourself a target to memorise 3 verses per day, read the three verses you have memorised along with the new three verses you are trying to memorise e.g. If you memorise 3 verses on one day, the next day you should memorise another 3 verses and repeat the verses you memorised the day before.

Another tactic to memorise the Quran is to keep repeating the verses at any opportunity with tajweed (tune). The tajweed will cause the person to enjoy the tune of recitation thus allowing the person to memorise that verse.

4. Do not exceed the limit of your day

If you have committed yourself to memorising 5 or 10 (for example) verses per day then do not exceed it.

Commit yourself to a regular number of verses you wish to memorise everyday and do not change this pattern.

5. Memorise from only one copy of the Quran

This is because in every Qurأan, the layout of the verses is different. If you memorise from one copy you will have a mental picture of the verse in your mind, whereas if you attempt to memorise from many different copies of the Quran, it could lead to confusion and difficulty in memorising the Quran.

6. Understanding is a mechanism of memorising

Understanding the verses will definitely increase memorisation and also khushoo (ritual fear and focus) during salah.

7. Do not go to another chapter until you finish the chapter you are on

Memorising the Quran in chapters is the best way to memorise the Quran as it will be easier to remember where you stopped last.

8. Do not listen to yourself all the time

It is advisable to recite in front of someone who is Hafiz ul Quran (who has memorised the Quran) as this will benefit the hafiz and he will correct him on any mistakes he makes.

9. Continuity - Always recite to yourself, wherever you are

It has been reported the Messenger Muhammad (saw) said that the Quran will run away from the tongue of a person faster than an untied camel. Make sure you are constantly reciting the Quran wherever you are e.g. on the bus, whilst travelling, relaxing at home etc.

10. Identify the patterns of the verses

The Quran is Mutashaabihaat, which means that it has a pattern. Verses often look and sound like each other, which is a great aid to memorising the Qurأan.

Difficulties in memorising the Quran

For those who have passed the golden age, have disability or any hardship in memorising the Quran, it is advisable to have plenty of honey and black seed, which are natural remedies that aid memorisation as-well as cure sicknesses.

Source: http://www.islamicthinkers.com/index...=573&Itemid=26

More helpful Tips to memorizing the Qur'an

http://www.themodernreligion.com/bas...ran_memory.htm

http://theinsanityofthesane.wordpres...al-experience/

http://www.mounthira.com/[/QUOTE]

Hamza Asadullah
08-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Recite the following dua'a after obligatory salat to increase knowledge

RABBI ZIDNEE I'LMAA

birkah
08-02-2011, 11:05 PM
What is the proof that you should recit the duaa after 7 times after the obligatory prayer? Why the number7? Why not 33? JKhair.

Hamza Asadullah
08-03-2011, 12:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by birkah
What is the proof that you should recit the duaa after 7 times after the obligatory prayer? Why the number7? Why not 33? JKhair.
Asalaamu Alaikum, ive ammended the post. Jazakallahu khayr for the reminder. Ma'asalaam

birkah
08-03-2011, 11:07 AM
JKhair. I think it will be superior if you simply mentioned recite the following duaas, without specifying after Salaah (unless, ofcourse if you have proof). JazakAllahu Khairan.

From the Sunnah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Uu13eMx8o
Sheikh Afasy does not mean that this duaa should only be used for exam, as this is not proven from the Sunnah. Hence, this duaa could be used for any time and for any difficult. And this is the beauty of the word of Prophet SAW, and out religion. We are given general guidelines, which encopmass specifics as well. SubhanAllah!

Hamza Asadullah
08-15-2011, 01:40 AM
What are Practical Steps to Memorise the Qur’ān? #1

بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم

In shā’ Allāh, we shall divide this topic into a series of posts. This post will discuss the foundations of memorising Qur’ān which everyone must follow:

1) Sincere Intention:Becoming a ḥāfiẓ requires a person to have sincere intention and this is something known but still needs to be reminded of.

2) Leading righteous way of life: Allāh سبحانه و تعالى says, So have Taqwa of Allāh; and Allāh teaches you.”[1] Leading a righteous way of life means that one tries his utmost to abide the commandments of Allāh سبحانه و تعالى. This includes doing what He has made obligatory upon us and staying away from prohibitions. And we have read about the famous poetry of al-Imām ash-Shāfi‘ī رحمه الله about his weak memory and what has been narrated from Ibn Mas‘ūd رضي الله عنه, “Indeed a man is prevented from knowledge because of sins he commits.” These narrations allude to the fact that if a person disobeys Allāh سبحانه و تعالى, he will not be successful in seeking knowledge and in our particular case memorising Qur’ān. Thus, it is incumbent upon the bearer of Qur’ān to avoid that prohibitions because they extinguish the light of the heart, make ones brain dull and prevents the slave of Allāh from success from Him.

3) True and firm determination: After all the Qur’ān is 604 pages of dense text. In order for a person to truly memorise the Qur’ān, a great deal of perseverance and firm determination is required as well as huge sacrifice from anything that may disturb the process of fulfilling the dream of ḥifẓ. Shayṭān has mastered the art of deceiving the children of Ādam عليه السلام so he might come to you and tell you that it’s too hard to memorise the Qur’ān and you might become lazy. And slowly but surely a time will come when you will forsake it. In order to combat this, you need to have strong will and be steadfast.

4) A correct methodology in memorisation: This is where many people fail. A correct methodology entails an appropriate portion to memorise, sufficient time spent to memorise, a proper approach in actual memorisation of the verses and revision. In shā’ Allāh, this will be expounded upon in detail in the next post.

5) Continuous memorisation: It is better for a person to memorise a little portion consistently rather than memorise large chunks inconsistently. And this can derived from the ḥadīth of Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم when he was asked, “Which actions are most beloved to Allāh?” He صلى الله عليه و سلم responded, “(The deeds most beloved to Allāh are) the most consistent even if they were little (in quantity).”[2]
And, indeed, Allāh سبحانه و تعالى knows best

[1] Sūrat ul-Baqarāħ, 2:282
[2] Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī

Source: http://bearersofquran.com/

Hamza Asadullah
08-15-2011, 01:42 AM
What are Practical Steps to Memorise the Qur’ān?#2

بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم

In shā’ Allāh this post will discuss the actual method( with respect to the type) to memorise Qur’ān and we are going to discuss two methods in doing so:

Method #1:

This method is known as the method of the pages meaning that a person would recite an entire page from its beginning till the ending with proper and careful recitation. The person should recite loudly, implementing the Tajwīd rules (if he can) as this helps the ear remember what is being recited. This should be done at least 15-20 times so the whole page can be transferred from the short term memory to the long term one. If this is not enough then one can do as many times as he wants and is suitable for him. Recitation should be not only done with proper recitation but also with concentration and presence of the heart.

Then he should close his muṣḥaf, and start reciting it off his memory. This is to check if he can recite it without looking into the muṣḥaf. It is quite obvious that one might get stuck when he is reciting from memory but it does not mean he should immediately open the muṣḥaf and correct his mistake. Rather, he should strive his utmost to recall what he memorised but if he fails, then he should refer to his muṣḥaf. This review should be done 3-4 times to make sure that one has memorised correctly.

Advantage of this Method:

This method employs the visual and auditory memories thus making it easy for a person to recall what he memorised. The page is saved in the person’s memory and he can use it to remember the position of the verses in the muṣḥaf (benefit of using the same muṣḥaf).

Disadvantage of this Method:

Not suitable for those who do not wish to memorise a half a page or page in one session of memorisation.

Method #2:

This method is known as the method of the verses meaning that person would recite a verse but follow the same procedure as the other method.

Advantage of this Method:

Very good for most people because of the dominant preference to memorise a number of verses (usually 5) in one session of memorisation. This method is usually employed by those who want to take their sweet time in memorisation

Disadvantages of this Method:

1) Due to verse by verse memorisation, this method is much slower than the first method.

2) Usually difficult for those who memorise to have the image of the page in their memory so it becomes relatively hard to recall. [1]

And, indeed, Allāhسبحانه و تعالى knows best.

[1] Kayfa Taḥfaẓ ul-Qur’ān al-Karīm

Hamza Asadullah
08-15-2011, 01:48 AM
Maintaining Motivation

بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم

Maintaining motivation is one the toughest things when trying to achieving one’s goal. And this is especially true when you want to memorise the Qur’ān. When we are motivated we are energetic, focused, and we reach our target. Too many of us aspire to be a Ḥāfiẓ ul-Qur’ān but we wait for the motivation before we get going. The good news is that we can all learn practical actions to boost our motivation, keep it high, and so achieve our ambitions.

1) Know what you want and why you want it

‘Umar bin al-Khaṭṭāb رضي الله عنهnarrated that the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلمsaid, Deeds are [a result] only of the intentions [of the actor], and an individual is [rewarded] only according to that which he intends. Therefore, whosoever has emigrated for the sake of Allāh and His messenger, then his emigration was for Allāh and His messenger. Whosoever emigrated for the sake of worldly gain, or a woman [whom he desires] to marry, then his emigration is for the sake of that which [moved him] to emigrate.”[1]

Knowing the purpose of any action is the single most motivating item when wanting achieve anything. In our case, we have already mentioned aḥādīth and narrations stating the virtues of memorising the Qur’ān. These narrations tell us the reward of the one doing the act which encourages us because we know of the reward waiting for us in Jannaħ (in shā’ Allāh).

2) Nothing boosts our motivation like success!

When you plan to start your noble journey to Qur’ān, you should have a time frame in mind for your memorisation. Give yourself a realistic but challenging time to finish the completion of the Qur’ān and divide into smaller time frames to get some successes in your goal which will in shā Allāh motivate you. For example; my plan is to finish ḥifẓ in 2 years. I know the total number of pages in the standard the ‘Uthmānī muṣḥaf are 604, then I can divide into 2 years and then I plan to memorise 302 pages a year. Divide 302 pages into 4 quarterly goals i.e. make your 1 year goal and slice it down to 4 smaller ones to make the task more achievable. Therefore, I have 302/4 = 75.5 pages to memorise every 3 months. And finally, use your 90-day goals and make a weekly plan for ḥifẓ. (This, by the way, can be used for any goal you want to achieve in your life.) By following this procedure you will, bi idhnillāh, achieve more and feel more satisfied because you divided a large task (i.e. to memorise Qur’ān) into smaller, accomplishable tasks and in shā Allāh feel motivated all the way.

3) Be positive!

Allāh سبحانه و تعالىsays regarding Ya‘qūb عليه السلامwhen he was advising his sons (after he lost his 3 of his sons), “O my sons! Go you and enquire about Yūsuf (Joseph) and his brother, and never give up hope of Allāh’s Mercy. Certainly no one despairs of Allāh’s Mercy, except the people who disbelieve.” [2]
It was narrated from Anas ibn Mālik رضي الله عنه that the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلمsaid, “There is no ‘adwa (transmission of infectious disease without the permission of Allāh) and no ṭiyaraħ (superstitious belief in bird omens), but I like optimism.” They said, “What is optimism?” He said, “A good word.”[3]
Never say to yourself ‘O’ I can by no means memorise the Qur’ān no matter how hard I try!’ Because the shayṭān capitalises on this and then insinuates on the weakness of the individual till the point the person gives up his effort. Rather have hope in Allāh سبحانه و تعالى and sincerely ask Him for his Help.

4) Choose your confidants with care!

The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم said, “The case of the good companion and the bad companion is like that of the seller of musk and the blower of the bellows (iron-smith). As for the seller of musk, he will either give you some of the musk, or you will purchase some from him, or at least you will come away having experienced its good smell. Whereas the blower of the bellows will either burn your clothing, or at least you will come away having experienced its repugnant smell.”[4]

Unfortunately we all know people who are apathetic, negative, and over-critical. Do not let these people trample on your dreams or quash your enthusiasm. Talk to people who are interested in your plans, in your development, who support and encourage you through the tough moments and congratulate you when you do well. That’s why we find that for a person to be successful in memorising Qur’ān, he needs to have a companion who would encourage him and help him in this task.

5) It’s all gone wrong!

The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم said, “Strange is the affair of the Mu’min (the believer), verily all his affairs are good for him. If something pleasing befalls him he thanks and it becomes better for him. And if something harmful befalls him he is patient and it becomes better for him. And this is only for the Mu’min.”[5]

Sometimes events will overtake you, your plans have to go on a back burner for a while, you’re thrown off track and your motivation dips. Accept that this is normal and happens to us all. As soon as you’ve got your breathe back got back to your plan, change the actions or the timescales if need be, and swing back into action. There are three steps to tackle a setback:

a) Accept that there was a setback
b) Regret it and use it to better yourself (positive regret)
c) Move on and forget about it (don’t let it haunt you all the time)
This is what I call the ARM principle.

Remember, you haven’t failed until you have given up trying to succeed.
May Allāh سبحانه و تعالى give us success in our affairs and forgive our sins. Āmīn.

[1] Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī and Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim
[2] Sūraħ Yūsuf, 12:87
[3] Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī and Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim
[4] Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī and Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim
[5] Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim

Hamza Asadullah
08-15-2011, 01:52 AM
When will I see you as a Haafidh?

بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم

I recently heard an incredibly amazing account told by Shaykh Yasir Salamah, one of the leading Imams and recitors of Egypt. In his audio tape ‘When will I see you as a Haafidh?’ he speaks of the true account of Muhammad, a brother who after attending a workshop on memorising Qur’aan and utilising all the available mediums, went on to memorise the entire Qur’aan within just 50 days (i.e 2 months)

Within 2 months?!

Yes. Within 2 months. This is his account and he says:

“I declared a state of Jihad upon my soul and put death before my eyes. I made an intention to memorise the Noble Qur’aan. So I abandoned telephone calls and unnecessary visits, and I changed all the negative thoughts associated with hifdh (memorisation) to positive and practical ones e.g. When a thought came to me saying ‘I can’t do it!’ I’d say, ‘I can do it.’ If it said, ‘My memory is weak!’ I’d say ‘I take pleasure in having a great memory.’

I chose the masjid as the place of my hifdh as it preserves three:

1. The eyes
2. The ears
3. The tongue

I followed a specific dietary program consisting of eating dates, fruits and honey – and fasting helped me a great deal in that. I used to wake up before salaat al-Fajr by 2 and a half hours and I slept 2 hours after ‘Isha. I used to wake up for Tahajjud (the night prayer), prolonging my sujood wherein I would call upon Allaah ta’alaa to ease for me my affair. I would also seek forgiveness 100 times.

I began to memorise 5 pages and would recite them in the Sunnah prayers of Fajr. After salaat al-Fajr, I would begin the memorisation of 5 new pages and at the end, I would recite them in the 2 raka’ahs of salaat al-Duhaa, all the time thanking Allaah for easing the memorisation.

I would perfect the recitation of what I had memorised by listening to tapes of one of the recitors. I would read about the qiraa’ah in books or via the Muqaddimah al-Jazariyyah (poem on the ahkam of tajweed).

After salaat al-Dhuhr, I would repeat everything that I had memorised previously beginning from the 1st Juz, until salaat al-’Asr. After the ‘Asr prayer, I would repeat the new portion of hifdh and the juz before. After the Maghrib prayer, I would prepare the recitation of 10 new pages and it was only after salaat al-’Isha that I’d review the Qur’aan with my teacher, may Allaah reward him well.

Before retiring to bed, I would listen to all that I memorised in the day from cassettes and I would be sitting for 6 continuous hours, without any boredom or feeling tired. In the 1st week, I would sit for 6 hours, memorising and revising. In the 2nd week, I would sit for 8 hours. In the 3rd week, it was 10 hours and in the 4th week, it was 12 hours. In the last 10 days, I was sitting for 14 hours memorising and revising.

The hardest times for me were when it came to sleeping and eating. I ardently wished that the period of sleep would end quickly so that I could start my hifdh of the Noble of Qur’aan. Everytime I began to read the Qur’aan and memorise, I felt such delight and enjoyment that I had never felt before. Du’a was an important factor for me before and after hifdh. I would memorise a page whilst sitting down and then repeat it whilst walking. My teacher played an important role in encouraging me, in revision, in correcting me and benefiting me in terms of Tajweed.

In the last week, on the night of 20th Ramadan, only 4 and a half juz remained until completion of hifdh. So I turned to Allaah to open up my way and ease it for me. I went on to memorise it in 6 days with the Help of Allaah.

Laylatul-Qadr came, the night of delight and happiness – it was like a wedding night to me. My completion of hifdh took place between Maghrib and ‘Isha in the masjid with the Imam and those in I’tikaaf. We began the khatma (reciting from beginning till end of the Book). In the end, during the du’aa, my heart opened up greatly and I began to weep like never before. It was the most beautiful hour of my life. Allaah had honoured me with the memorisation of His Book.

During the du’aa, I remembered a dream I had more than 10 years ago… I was a Mu’adhin of a mosque and after Fajr salaah, I sat remembering Allaah in the mosque. I felt sleepy so I took a nap in the middle of the mosque, and behold! I found myself amidst a gathering. A powerful ray of light descended from the sky down to the middle of the masjid. From that light came many angels and between them were 2 big Angels. One of them turned towards me and took me to the light. I entered along with the 2 angels. I then found myself on top of a large green tree – I began to climb it in the companionship of the 2 angels. We found angels standing by the door of the 1st heaven. They said to me ‘Where are you going?’ They opened up a book and said, ‘We don’t have your name with us, so climb onwards to the top.’ And likewise, all the time (through each heaven), they said the same thing to me.

Upon arriving at the 7th heaven, we reached the end of the tree. I found angels standing at the door and they said, ‘Are you Muhammad?’ I said, ‘Yes.’ They said, ‘Enter, for the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) wants you.’ I said to the 2 angels that were with me ‘Come in with me.’ They said, ‘We can’t enter. But we will wait for you.’ So I entered Jannah and behold, I saw therein what no eye has seen, no ear has heard and had never entered in the heart of Man. Angels were surrounding me and there was a door, on top of it was written (There is no God but Allaah and Muhammad is His Messenger. Al-Firdaws Paradise).

The Angels opened the door and I entered. Before me was the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) sitting at the top end and beside him were men, some that I recognised and some that I didn’t. In front of him were a very large group of men, women and children. They wore white clothes, and they were so many that they had a beginning but no end. All of them were reciting Qur’aan.

The Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) called me and I went up to him. He got up and made some space for me. I kissed him and he sat me down besides him. I asked him ‘Who are these people O Messenger of Allah?’ He said, ‘These are the people who have memorised the Book of Allaah `azza wa jall.’

Inshaa’Allaah ta’ala, the dream ended in truth. I never spoke to anyone about it until the night that I completed the memorisation of the Qur’aan.”

Allahu Akbar, if this is not tawfeeq from Allaah and determination… I don’t know what is!

Source: http://fajr.wordpress.com/2008/01/24/absolute-tawfeeq/

Al Qabayli
10-01-2011, 04:31 PM
as-salâmu `alaykum.

BUMP ! A shaykh recommanded my tajweed class to divise what we learned of the Qur'ân in two parts : the "new" and the "old". Because what you just learned you have to repeat it a lot and what what you learned a long time ago this is not the case because you already repeated it a lot. So here is his advice.

You have to revise every day the 5 last ahzab you learned (or at least the 2 last ahzab you learned). That is for the "new"

And all the other ayat or suwar you learned before the "new", you have to divide it and every day you have to recite 2 ahzab of it.

I wish my message was understandable ^^

M.I.A.
10-01-2011, 04:47 PM
thats amazing,
its put me to shame for the things i have written on lb forum.

Hamza Asadullah
10-19-2011, 02:29 AM
7 Tips for Memorizing Quran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx17vixaL4Q

Riana17
12-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Asalam

I didnt try it yet but my coworker, an ex teacher recommends the ff:

Supposed there are 3 para

1. Remember/recite the first line 10 times
2. Remember their meanings 10 times
3. Recite the second para 10times
4. Remember their meanings
5. Combine both and recite 10times
6. Combine their meanings and recite 10times
7. Remember/recite 3rd para
... and follow the same format

I wish to try this soon, she highly recommends

Sothis Girl
01-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Your post has inspired me, thanks!
It's a shame on us because we can memorize a lot of songs lyrics, learning foreign languages quickly, but are helpless for Qur'an.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.