/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Means of helping oneself to lower one’s gaze

al Amaanah
01-08-2010, 12:15 AM
:salamext:

I know this is a bit long, but insha Allah beneficial to read and act upon!

My question involves a complicated issue. Here in Canada, there is a lack of morals, people, women espically wear almost no clothing. My problem is that I cannot stop looking at these so called clothed women. I know that marriage is obligitory upon me, other than moving to a Muslim country(which I cannot do right now), what, if any advice could you help me in dealing with this problem.

Praise be to Allaah.

We have said here many times that it is not permissible for one who has no legitimate shar’i excuse to remain in the kaafir lands. This land is filled with kufr, immorality and sin, and people there deviate from the fitrah (sound innate human nature) with which Allaah has created them. One of the immoral actions that are widespread in those countries is immoral and wanton display (tabarruj), whereby women hardly wear anything that covers them, as the questioner has said.

This situation leads to haraam things and major sins, including mixing, touching and zina (unlawful sexual relationships), all of which stem from looking.

Sharee’ah came to forbid the ways that lead to immorality, one of which is looking at non-mahram women.

1 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts)”

[al Noor 24:30]

Imaam Ibn Katheer said:

This is a command from Allaah to His believing slaves to lower their gaze and refrain from looking at that which is forbidden to them. So they should not look at anything except that which they are permitted to look at, and they should lower their gaze and refrain from looking at forbidden things. If it so happens that a person’s gaze accidentally falls upon something forbidden, he should quickly avert his gaze.

Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/282

2 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And when you ask (his wives) for anything you want, ask them from behind a screen, that is purer for your hearts and for their hearts”

[al Ahzaab 33:53]

3 – It was narrated that Jareer ibn ‘Abd Allaah said: “I asked the Messenger of Allaah (salla Allaho 3alayhi wasallam) about a sudden glance, and he commanded me to avert my gaze.”

(Narrated by Muslim, 2159)

al Nawawi said:

What is meant by a “sudden glance” is when a person’s glance unintentionally falls upon a non-mahram woman. There is no sin on him for the first glance, but he must avert his gaze immediately. If he averts his gaze immediately there is no sin on him, but if he continues looking, then he will be a sinner, because of this hadeeth, for the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alayhi wasallam) commanded him to avert his gaze, and Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things)”

Men must lower their gaze and refrain from looking at them in all circumstances, unless that is for a valid shar’i reason, such as giving testimony, medical treatment, wanting to propose marriage, buying a slave woman, engaging in financial transactions such as buying and selling, etc. In all these cases it is permissible to look as much as is needed, and no more.

And Allaah knows best.

Sharh Muslim, 14/139

Secondly:

There are means which help a person to lower his gaze, and we ask Allaah to help you to do them:

1 – Bearing in mind the fact that Allaah is watching you, that He sees you and is with you (by His knowledge) wherever you go. It may be a secretive glance of which your neighbour is unaware, but Allaah knows of it. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah knows the fraud of the eyes, and all that the hearts conceal”

[Ghaafir 40:19]

2 – Seeking the help of Allaah, beseeching Him and calling upon Him (du’aa’). Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And your Lord said: Invoke Me [i.e. believe in My Oneness (Islamic Monotheism) and ask Me for anything] I will respond to your (invocation).”

[Ghaafir 40:60]

3 – You should know that every blessing you enjoy comes from Allaah, and requires that you should give thanks. Part of the gratitude for the blessing of sight means that you should protect it from looking at that which Allaah has forbidden. Is there any reward for good, other than good? [al Rahmaan 55:60] Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whatever of blessings and good things you have, it is from Allaah”

[al Nahl 16:53]

4 – Striving with your self and training yourself to lower your gaze and be patient in doing so, and not giving up. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning:

“As for those who strive hard in Us (Our Cause), We will surely guide them to Our paths (i.e. Allaah’s religion — Islamic Monotheism)”

[al ‘Ankaboot 29:69]

The Prophet (salla Allaho 3alayhi wasallam) said: “Whoever seeks to be chaste, Allaah will make him chaste, and whoever seeks to be independent of means, Allaah will make him independent of means, and whoever strives to be patient, Allaah will make him patient…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1400)

5 – Avoiding places where a person feels he will be exposed to the temptation of looking, if he can manage to avoid them, such as going to marketplaces or malls, and sitting in the street. The Prophet (salla Allaho 3alayhi wasallam) said: “Beware of sitting in the street.” They said, “We have no alternative; that is where we sit and talk.” He said, “If you insist on sitting there, then give the street its rights.” They said, “What are the rights of the street?” He said, “Lowering the gaze and refraining from causing offence…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2333; Muslim, 2121).

6 – You should realize that you have no choice in this matter, regardless of what the circumstances are and no matter how great the temptation or motive to do evil, and no matter what emotions and overwhelming desires stir in your heart. You must lower your gaze and refrain from looking at haraam things in all places and at all times. You cannot use excuses such as the environment being corrupt or justify your mistakes by saying that there is a lot of temptation around. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error”

[al Ahzaab 33:36]

7 – Doing a lot of naafil acts of worship, because doing a lot of them whilst also regularly doing obligatory acts of worship is a means of protecting one's physical faculties. According to a hadeeth qudsi, Allaah said: “… and My slave continues to draw close to Me with supererogatory (naafil) works so that I shall love him. And when I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask (something) of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it.” (al Bukhaari, 6137)

8 – Remembering that the earth on which sin is committed will bear witness. Allaah says:

“That Day it will declare its information (about all that happened over it of good or evil)”

[al Zalzalah 99:4]

9 – Remembering the angels who are recording your deeds. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“But verily, over you (are appointed angels in charge of mankind) to watch you,

Kiraaman (Honourable) Kaatibeen —writing down (your deeds),

They know all that you do”

[al Infitaar 82:10-12]

10 – Bearing in mind some of the texts which forbid letting the gaze wander freely, such as the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things)”

11 – Avoiding looking unnecessarily, so that you only look at what you need to look at, and you do not let your gaze wander right and left so that it falls upon something the effects and fitnah of which cannot be got rid of quickly.

12 – Marriage, which is one of the most effective remedies. The Prophet (salla Allaho 3alayhi wasallam) said: “Whoever can afford it, let him get married, for it is more effective in lowering the gaze and in guarding one’s chastity. And whoever cannot afford it, let him fast, for it will be a shield for him.” (Narrated by al Bukhaari, 1806; Muslim, 1400).

13 – Fasting – because of the hadeeth quoted above.

14 – Doing obligatory acts of worship as Allaah has commanded, such as prayer. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, As Salaah (the prayer) prevents from Al Fahshaa’ (i.e. great sins of every kind, unlawful sexual intercourse) and Al Munkar (i.e. disbelief, polytheism, and every kind of evil wicked deed)”

[al ‘Ankaboot 29:45]

15 – Remembering al hoor al ‘ayn, which will give you a motive to be patient in avoiding that which Allaah has forbidden, hoping to get al hoor al ‘ayn. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Companions of Equal Age ”

[al Naba’ 78:33]

And the Prophet (salla Allaho 3alayhi wasallam) said: “… If a woman of the people of Paradise were to look out over the people of this earth, it would light up everything in between and fill it with fragrance, and the veil of her head is better than this world and everything in it.” (Narrated by al Bukhaari, 2643).

16 – Bearing in mind the shortcomings of the one who is looked at and the filth and waste material they carry in their gut.
17 – Being ambitious and focusing on nobler things.

18 – Checking on yourself from time to time and striving to make yourself lower your gaze whilst realizing that everyone makes mistakes.

19 – Thinking of the pain and regret that will result from this looking, and the effects of letting one’s gaze wander.

20 – Understanding the benefits of lowering one's gaze, as mentioned above.

21 – Bringing up this topic in meetings and gatherings, and explaining its dangers.

22 – Advising your relatives, telling them not to wear clothes that attract attention and show their attractions, such as how they dress, wearing bright colours, how they walk, speaking too softly, etc.

23 – Warding off passing thoughts and whispers from the Shaytaan before they take hold and are acted upon. Whoever lowers his gaze after the first glance will be saved from innumerable problems, but if he keeps looking he cannot be certain that seeds that will be difficult to remove will not be planted in his heart.

25 – Being afraid of a bad end, and of feeling regret at the point of death.

26 – Keeping company with good people, because you are naturally affected by the characteristics of the people you mix with, and a person will follow the way of his close friend, and a friend will pull you to follow his way.

27 – Knowing that the zina of the eye is looking, and that should be sufficient to put you off.

Adapted from an essay entitled Ghadd al-Basr (Lowering the Gaze) by a student of sharee’ah.

And Allaah knows best.

IslamQA
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
01-12-2010, 01:50 AM
Its as if there's an agenda against the male in the western countries to pervert and *******ize them... peace of mind is needed but as soon as a brother goes outside of the house the turbulence within starts

Im glad its winter

Asiyaah
01-12-2010, 05:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
Im glad its winter
LOL - Guess winter can be good for one thing. I'll try to keep that in mind when I'm shoveling my car out of a snow drift tomorrow morning. :statisfie

CosmicPathos
01-12-2010, 05:24 AM
Its as if there's an agenda against the male in the western countries to pervert and *******ize them... peace of mind is needed but as soon as a brother goes outside of the house the turbulence within starts

Im glad its winter
talk about it. Brothers are not safe in winter either .... with those net-like pjs.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Italianguy
01-12-2010, 05:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
talk about it. Brothers are not safe in winter either .... with those net-like pjs.
Thats the truth! It's a good thing I am married......plus if my Nonna saw me staring at another woman....owwweeeeeeee:hiding: She wold have beat me sensless:hmm:

She passed some years ago (God rest her soul) but i still feel as if she's right behind me ready to pounce at the first incinuation that i may even think about looking at another wom.......I can't even say it:phew

You brothers just need a strict Nonna to follow you around;D you will never need a better reminder to lower your gaze.:D

Cabdullahi
01-12-2010, 10:06 AM
:heated: they talk about liberation but they're wearing fish nets because the opposite gender like it...they're conforming to the male's wishes so i dont know what liberation their talking about?

CosmicPathos
01-12-2010, 10:41 AM
:heated: they talk about liberation but they're wearing fish nets because the opposite gender like it...they're conforming to the male's wishes so i dont know what liberation their talking about?
I know eh. But they cover up with the philosophy of personal freedom.

Cabdullahi
01-12-2010, 05:51 PM
I know eh. But they cover up with the philosophy of personal freedom.
The creators of feminism wanted two by-products from their creation

- homosexuality and depopulation

The female is forced to forget motherhood and that pursuing personal gains i.e career ,fame and so on is much better for them...what we get is a decline in births and so their aim of depopulation is achieved

The other is aim is to impose their sexual deviance on people and the bonus of that would also be depopulation.

The male one the other hand who's easily fooled is told you don't have to commit to a contract of marriage to get certain things a man would want...those things can be found in the filth where they commoditize the female body and render it into the market and so now we get a dysfunctional society spiraling into a black hole which has a point of no return its crazy :(.

Asiyaah
01-12-2010, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al Amaanah

We have said here many times that it is not permissible for one who has no legitimate shar’i excuse to remain in the kaafir lands. This land is filled with kufr, immorality and sin, and people there deviate from the fitrah (sound innate human nature) with which Allaah has created them.

If it is not permissible for me to live in the country I was born in what should I do? Who will look after me in a muslim country? Is a lone woman suppose to just get on a plane to any muslim country and expect that they will be taken in?

al Amaanah
01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zaira
If it is not permissible for me to live in the country I was born in what should I do? Who will look after me in a muslim country? Is a lone woman suppose to just get on a plane to any muslim country and expect that they will be taken in?

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/13363

Asiyaah
01-13-2010, 02:35 AM
I didn't really understand that fatwa. Is there a program in muslim countries that take in reverts and look after them? What muslim country is safe to live in? Who would I live with with no friends or family? I've never left north america and I have no money lol. Would someone pay my way?

Asiyaah
01-13-2010, 02:35 AM
I didn't really understand that fatwa. Is there a program in muslim countries that take in reverts and look after them? What muslim country is safe to live in? Who would I live with with no friends or family? I've never left north america and I have no money lol. Would someone pay my way?

brotherubaid
01-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Proptecting the gaze is soo important , coz it has soo many affects on a person and his deen.

How many peole have fallen in soo many big sins just coz they did not protect their gaze n saw the haram , The gaze Initiates the desire in the heart n it grow n grows untill it makes the person commit the sin , The gaze can also make a person heart hard n has really bad affects on the heart n the righteousness of a person

May Allah reward u for the reminder , there is a great work by Ibn Qayyim on prootecting the gaze as well , do check it out InshahAllah ,

tango92
01-16-2010, 10:14 AM

Im glad its winter
in london we had about a week and a half of snow and finally a smidgen of modesty appears. yesterday it all thawed out (but still 2c) and we're back to bare legs and short skirts again. i just lol.

"The lightning all but snatches away their sight; every time the light (Helps) them, they walk therein, and when the darkness grows on them, they stand still. And if Allah willed, He could take away their faculty of hearing and seeing; for Allah hath power over all things"

2:20

they are not dissimilar from the people of this parable. the cold reminds them that they have infact a more important agenda than visually prostituting themselves. but when the warmth comes its back to 'liberation!'

glo
01-16-2010, 11:13 AM
I found that the icy roads we've had recently and having to watch where you place your next step was very helpful in lowering one's gaze! :D

abu salaahudeen
01-25-2010, 08:53 PM
marriage is the safest way to safeguard oneself

Cabdullahi
01-25-2010, 09:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abu salaahudeen
pay my mahr and my rent and i will do the 'safest' thing you profess about

abu salaahudeen
01-26-2010, 12:48 AM
you and I are both in the same boat . . .

abrar_
02-04-2010, 07:00 PM
As salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

Can mahr be paid by saved pocket money??(I know its stupid to ask...but there is no shyness in seeking knowledge) and regarding being financially stable.... can someone throw some light on the hadith in which prophet(peace and blessings be upon him) married someone and he had just memorized some quran..(didnt even had an iron ring...may Allah be pleased with him).

Cabdullahi
02-04-2010, 07:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abrar_

Can mahr be paid by saved pocket money??(I know its stupid to ask...but there is no shyness in seeking knowledge) and regarding being financially stable.... can someone throw some light on the hadith in which prophet(peace and blessings be upon him) married someone and he had just memorized some quran..(didnt even had an iron ring...may Allah be pleased with him).
SON! the young girl will ask for a ridiculous amount and by the time you save up all your pocket money the girl now an old lady will walk away with the sum of cash like this :

cat eyes
02-04-2010, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abu salaahudeen
even when your married your still fighting the temptations of the shaytan. woman will be always a trial for a man whether your married or not...you still have to lower your gaze if anything i find that married men have it the hardest.

Cabdullahi
02-04-2010, 08:18 PM
^ what??!

which planet is you at?!?!

KittenLover
02-04-2010, 08:24 PM
^ what??!

which planet is you at?!?!
it's true, many married men cheat and look at women even though they're married, but if a man has deen in him and everytime he gets tempted he goes running to his wife he will be ok inshallah.

Cabdullahi
02-04-2010, 08:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KittenLover
it's true, many married men cheat and look at women even though they're married, but if a man has deen in him and everytime he gets tempted he goes running to his wife he will be ok inshallah.
truesay ......

abrar_
02-05-2010, 02:12 AM
SON! the young girl will ask for a ridiculous amount and by the time you save up all your pocket money the girl now an old lady will walk away with the sum of cash like this :

lol that was funny... if the girl is religious she wont ask for loads of cash....
and there is a hadith also ...

The best marriage is the one upon which the least trouble and expense has been bestowed...

btw u didnt shed light on the remaining part of my post...regarding the sahaba who gave mahr the quran he knew by heart..

"Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 58:

Narrated Sahl bin Sad:

A woman came to Allah's Apostle and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have come to you to present myself to you (for marriage)." Allah's Apostle glanced at her. He looked at her carefully and fixed his glance on her and then lowered his head. When the lady saw that he did not say anything, she sat down. A man from his companions got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle! If you are not in need of her, then marry her to me." The Prophet said, "Have you got anything to offer." The man said, 'No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle!" The Prophet said (to him), "Go to your family and try to find something." So the man went and returned, saying, "No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle! I have not found anything." The Prophet said, "Go again and look for something, even if it were an iron ring." He went and returned, saying, "No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle! I could not find even an iron ring, but this is my Izar (waist sheet).' He had no Rida (upper garment). He added, "I give half of it to her." Allah's Apostle said "What will she do with your Izar? If you wear it, she will have nothing over herself thereof (will be naked); and if she wears it, then you will have nothing over yourself thereof ' So the man sat for a long period and then got up (to leave). When Allah's Apostle saw him leaving, he ordered that he e called back. When he came, the Prophet asked (him), "How much of the Qur'an do you know (by heart)?" The man replied, I know such Sura and such Sura and such Sura," naming the suras. The Prophet said, "Can you recite it by heart?" He said, 'Yes." The Prophet said, "Go I let you marry her for what you know of the Quran (as her Mahr)."

CosmicPathos
02-10-2010, 06:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zaira
Who told you that the Western country are safe for you to live in? Last time I heard, phone calls are tapped and if you mentioned Jihad on telephone, softwares pick that up and start focussing on your conversation after that topic. My mom was discussing the topic of Jihad with her friend on the phone so I told her to change topic so not to garner unnecessary attention from the leeches monitoring lines.

Do not you think that Muslims DO continue to live in the relatively unsafe lands of Islam?

Just because one is born in one country, it does not mean it is their country. The world would like us to believe so but a believer does not care where he is born. At least that is what I understand from the example of Sulayman al Farsi (ra). He left Faaris for Allah. Persians are proud of their land and Aryan ancestry, more so than Americans, and zoroastrianism yet he left all that for his search of the last Prophet. A reminder to myself to escape away from this country once I am done my education inshALLAH.

Why should someone pay for your migration? It would be good for other Muslims to help you in your migration but its not obligatory upon them especially if you have enough money for yourself to buy a ticket etc. But of course you should feel welcomed when migrating to a Muslim land as Muslims are supposed to like one body.

hanif_
02-10-2010, 07:05 AM

:sl:

abrar:

You are correct. A brother doesn't have to be rich to marry. That is one of the many excuses used not to marry and some live with parents indefinitely.

Narrated Sahl bin Sad:

The Prophet said to a man, "Marry, even with (a Mahr equal to) an iron ring." Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 80:

Narrated Said bin Jubair:

Ibn 'Abbas asked me, "Are you married?" I replied, "No." He said, "Marry, for the best person of this (Muslim) nation (i.e., Muhammad) of all other Muslims, had the largest number of wives."
Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 7:

Abdul Qadir
02-11-2010, 09:11 AM

Can mahr be paid by saved pocket money??(I know its stupid to ask...but there is no shyness in seeking knowledge)
u should not say this as shyness is part of faith..rather, you should say, "and Allah is not shy to speak the truth..."

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.