/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Companionship: In the Light of Knowledge

Beardo
01-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Companionship
By: Raakin Hossain

Friends place a major effect on a person. The companionship can bring one towards benefit or harm. Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhe Wasallam) said “A virtuous companion is like the merchant of musk. Either he will offer you some, you will buy it from him, or you will find him pleasant to smell. But an evil companion is like the bellows-blower, either he will scorch your clothes or you will receive a rotten smell from him.” For one that wishes to find the distinction between the two categories, he should observe the character, intentions, and goodness within him before stepping further into a relation. If the associate is firm and righteous, that will motivate beneficial qualities. On the other hand, an evil associate will spark wrongdoings and sinful actions.

The quality of companionship also determines one’s standing in the next world. It is related in Sahih Bukhari that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhe Wasallam) said “A person will be with whom he loves.” This was in response to one of the Sahabah when he had asked what would happen if he were unable to join a group he loves, such as the martyrs and saintly people. The Hadith also is in application with the evil ones, such as the ostentatious and evildoers. It is also related in Bayhaqi that “Solitude is better than being in bad company, and being in good company is better than solitude. Saying what is good is better than silence, and silence is better than saying what is bad.” Despite the clarity of this Hadith, it is commonly forgotten during our daily conversations and casual meetings. One should seek proper companionship to attain a higher rank and standing in terms of piety.

A believer should prefer the friendship of another believer over a disbeliever. In Tirmidhi, it is related that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhe Wasallam) advised “Do not befriend anyone but a believer, and let not anyone but a God-fearing person eat your food.” This does not, however, restrict us from not feeding those who are in need, such as the paupers, captives, and orphans.

In a story related in Sahih Muslim, Rabi’a ibn Ka’b relates. “I spent a night with the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhe Wasallam). I brought his water for ablution and other nesseceities. He said to me, “Ask something.” I replied, “I ask for your company in Paradise.” He then asked “Anything besides that?” I answered, “That is it.” In response, he said, “Help me accomplish this for you by prostrating in abundance.” Ibn Al-Malak relates that the position asked for in this Hadith can only be derived through the supplication of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhe Wasallam).

Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhe Wasallam) once said “Everyone born (into the world) is born in a natural state of belief, until his parents make him a Jew, a Christian, or a Magian.” An excerpt from poetry “then appraise the country by its reputation and the companion by his companion.”

A scholar once recited a piece of poetry:
“Do not inquire about a man, but observe his companion,
For indeed one companion imitates the other;
And if the companion is evil, then quickly shun him,
But if (the companion) is good, then associate with him,
In this way you will be led in the right direction.”

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
imam bukhari
01-18-2010, 10:13 AM
assalaam o alaykum,

Akhi what book is this from? bcz it says 'chapter 5' at the top... just wondering...jazaakAllaahu khaira

wassalaam o alaykum

Beardo
01-18-2010, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by imam bukhari
assalaam o alaykum,

Akhi what book is this from? bcz it says 'chapter 5' at the top... just wondering...jazaakAllaahu khaira

wassalaam o alaykum
Whoopsies. It's not from a book. Just from a series of articles! :X

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.