/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is true love?

Beardo
01-18-2010, 05:13 AM
I made this thread so you guys can either drop your opinions or use some inspiring quotes.

What is true love?

I asked this question to myself. True love for Allah Ta'ala, true love between two people, and so forth.

As for my response, I rather not give it prematurely, but it's definitely when you feel pain in your heart and a lump in your throat for someone else.

...Right?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
anonymous
01-18-2010, 05:22 AM
Love is when someone does something without realising or intending it and your heart skips a few beats.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-18-2010, 05:24 AM
:sl:
true love for Allah is to love Him how he has prescribed...not doing strange unprescribed acts of worship and claiming that it has a reward simply becuase you have good intentions.

ill reply to the rest later, inshallah.

Abdul Qadir
01-18-2010, 05:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
I made this thread so you guys can either drop your opinions or use some inspiring quotes.

What is true love?

I asked this question to myself. True love for Allah Ta'ala, true love between two people, and so forth.

As for my response, I rather not give it prematurely, but it's definitely when you feel pain in your heart and a lump in your throat for someone else.

...Right?
well, true love is to love for the sake of Allah....you can help someone because u love them..or, u can help someone because you want to get closer to Allah..the latter is what i would call true love...love ur wife because of Allah..love my parent because of Allah...love the messenger of Allah sallallahu Alaihiwasallam more than any mankind because of Allah...Imagine, if the Ansaris had loved their wives because of the beauty etc etc...would they have been able to offer their wives to Muhammad sallallahu Alaihiwasallam or to any of their muslim brothers? my opinions does not stem from this Ansari anology, but just something to support them...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
01-18-2010, 07:35 AM
there's a saying in arabic (im not sure who its attributed to) that can be translated as: the beloved of my beloved is my beloved. so i think a form of love is when you really really love someone you begin to follow them in what they say and do and who they love and hate.

'Abdul Rahmaan
01-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Love is blind in one eye while "True Love" is blind in both the eyes.

Snowflake
01-18-2010, 09:23 AM
^lol

Love is only as true as your feelings. But feelings depend on a lot of things and so have the potential to chance. When they go so does the love. How true then can something be that is dependent in its nature for something else to sustain it?

True love is when despite all your sufferings and trials you still love Allah. Such love is free from the need of ongoing happiness and comfort to sustain it. One can love Allah even knowing they are being punished. But how many of us will carry on loving a human who punishes us and makes us suffer. We can't. Won't. Hence true love can only be for Allah.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-18-2010, 09:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
^lol

Love is only as true as your feelings. But feelings depend on a lot of things and so have the potential to chance. When they go so does the love. How true then can something be that is dependent in its nature for something else to sustain it?

True love is when despite all your sufferings and trials you still love Allah. Such love is free from the need of ongoing happiness and comfort to sustain it. One can love Allah even knowing they are being punished. But how many of us will carry on loving a human who punishes us and makes us suffer. We can't. Won't. Hence true love can only be for Allah.
can i disagree :p :D

the way we love Allah and the way we love our mothers, fathers husbands and wives are 2 different things. even the way we love rasollullah (sallalahu aleyhi wa sallam) and the way we love allah are very different.
you can truly love Allah but this love stems and is expressed differently then how your love for someone else stems and is expressed however this doesn't negate that both can be considered as true love...:)

on the side: what does it actually mean to truly love allah anyway? from an Islamic point of view i mean?

latiffa
01-18-2010, 09:52 AM
The true love means devotion without limits for Allah.
The true love means to love all the people around you, even ur enamies.
The true love means to love this world and traying to do better than today.

S<Chowdhury
01-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Love is best seen as devotion and action, not an emotion. Love is not exclusively based on how we feel. Certainly our emotions are involved, but they cannot be our only criteria for love. True devotion will always lead to action—true love.

S_87
01-18-2010, 01:36 PM
big question with big answer. it depends who youre devoting that 'love' to.

Snowflake
01-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Umm ul-Shaheed:

can i disagree?
lol no why? :(

haha kidding ;D

the way we love Allah and the way we love our mothers, fathers husbands and wives are 2 different things. even the way we love rasollullah (sallalahu aleyhi wa sallam) and the way we love allah are very different.
you can truly love Allah but this love stems and is expressed differently then how your love for someone else stems and is expressed however this doesn't negate that both can be considered as true love...
That's what I'm saying love for Allah and His creation are different :p - in that love for a human being, mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, husband wife, or another is conditional. Would a daughter love a father who raped her? No. Yet in the absence of such a heinous crime the love would be there. So there was a condition. Everyone has a thresh-hold for how much injustice they can take before their love for someone dies. If the conditions are right the love will thrive yet remain prone to being destroyed. So love is only as true as the feelings that result from respect, care, sincerity, trust and devotion. Take those qualities away and the love will perish. For some sooner than others.

:wa:

Asiyah3
01-18-2010, 07:33 PM
No comments :X

I have a feeling that a mod will delete this useless comment :D

:omg: Darn:skeleton: The threadst... ... Rash... ... IS AN administrator! *gotta run* :hiding:

:X... ... ... ... ... :embarrass

(forgive me everyone :exhausted)

I agree with what Scents of Jannah said about true love.

I really hope there will be a day when I can say that I love Allah SWT with my actions proving it :cry:

Cabdullahi
01-18-2010, 07:51 PM
^lol

Love is only as true as your feelings.

format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed

can i disagree :p :D

the way we love Allah and the way we love our mothers, fathers husbands and wives are 2 different things.

lol no :(

:
^
If two sisters or more come together and argue about something in a pleasant manner without pulling each others dreadlocks that! suggests that the subject matter is something which appeals to them and warms their hearts.

as for us males we must take a great lesson from William Caxton's words

''Love lasteth as long as the money endureth.''

Minniiee..Mee..
01-18-2010, 07:55 PM
What is true love?

...Right?[/QUOTE]

A/Aleykum
In my opinion true love is when you've found the perfect guy for you. He loves you back, cares for you, needs you as much as you need him and so on. And your right when you say you feel pain in your heart because its really difficult when it happens.

As for love for Allah, that's when you fully commit yourself to him and you think before doing something whatwould he think of what your're doing. and when you are in this state you might end up being a Wallillah. (If I'm not wrong)

W/Salaam

zakirs
01-18-2010, 08:22 PM
true love is what i have for cars ( esp ferrari ) ..

lol jk

Beardo
01-18-2010, 08:41 PM

I agree with Sister Scents, that love exists, or should exist in everyone for everyone. But of course, love has different levels. Love for Allah and His Rasool will most definitely differ between your parents, etc. But your love between your parents and your friends will differ greatly once again.

And this thread isn't meant to be "Romantic" but it's a chance for us all to remind ourselves where true loves truly belongs.

You know, there's love for animals as well.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-18-2010, 08:47 PM

As Ibn Hazm (rahimullah) so eloquently wrote in Tawq al-Hamamah (The Ring of the Dove):
The passions most men boast them of
Are like a desert's noontide haze:
I love thee with a constant love
Unwithering through all my days.

This fondness I profess for thee
Is pure, and in my heart I bear
True love's inscription plain to see,
And all its tale is written there.

Had any passion, thine beside,
At any time my soul possessed,
I would have torn my worthless hide
And plucked that alien from my breast.

There is no other prize I seek:
Thy love is my desire sincere:
Only upon this theme I speak
To capture thy complacent ear.

This if I win, the earth's expanse,
And all mankind, are but as dust,
Yea, the wide world's inhabitants
Are flies that crawl upon its crust.
This statement is confirmed by the fact that Love, as we know, is of various kinds. The noblest sort, of Love is that which exists between persons who love each other in God either because of an identical zeal for the righteous work upon which they are engaged, or as the result of a harmony in sectarian belief and principles, or by virtue of a common possession of some noble knowledge. Next to this is the love, which springs from kinship; then the love of familiarity and the sharing of identical aims; the love of comradeship and acquaintance; the love, which is rooted in a benevolent regard for one's fellow; the love that results from coveting the loved one's worldly elevation; the love that is based upon a shared secret which both must conceal; love for the sake of getting enjoyment and satisfying desire; and passionate love, that has no other cause but that union of souls to which we have referred above.

All these varieties of Love come to an end when their causes disappear, and increase or diminish with them; they are intensified according to the degree of their proximity, and grow languid as their causes draw further and further away. The only exception. is the Love of true passion, which has the mastery of the soul: this is the love, which passes not away save with death. You will find a man far advanced in years, who swears that he has forgotten love entirely; yet when you remind him of it, he calls that love back to mind, and is rejoiced; he is filled with youthful desire; his old emotion returns to him; his yearning is mightily stirred. In none of the other sorts of love does anything like this happen: that mental preoccupation, that derangement of the reason, that melancholia, that transformation of settled temperaments, and alteration of natural dispositions, that moodiness, that sighing, and all the other, symptoms of profound agitation which accompany assionate love.

All this proves that true Love is a spiritual approbation, a fusion of souls. It may be objected, that if Love were as I have described, it would be exactly equal in both the parties concerned, since the two parts would be partners in the act of union and the share of each would be the same. To this I reply, that the objection is indeed well-founded; but the soul of the man who loves not one who loves him is beset on all sides by various accidents which occlude, and veils that encompass it about, those earthy temperaments which now overlay it, so that his soul does not sense that part which was united with it before it came to occupy its present lodging-place. Had his soul been liberated from these restrictions, the two would have been equal in their experience of union and love. As for the lover, his soul is indeed free and aware of where that other is that shared with it in ancient proximity; his soul is ever seeking for the other, striving after it, searching it out, yearning to encounter it again, drawing it to itself if might be as a magnet draws the iron.

And elsewhere in his book, he writes:
True love is not a flower
That springeth in an hour;
Its flint will not strike fire
At casual desire.

Love is an infant rare
Begotten, slow to bear;
Its lime must mingle long
Before its base is strong.

And then not soon will it
Be undermined, and split;
Firm will its structure stand,
Its fabric still expand.

This truth is readily
Confirmed, because we see
That things too quickly grown
Are swiftly overthrown.

Mine is a stubborn soil
To plough with arduous toil,
Intractible indeed
To tiller and to seed.

But once the roots begin
To strike and thrive therein,
Come bounteous rain, come drought,
The lusty stem will sprout.

Beardo
01-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Was it originally written in English? How did the rhyme come about when translated? :X

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-18-2010, 09:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Was it originally written in English? How did the rhyme come about when translated? :X
Arabic, but translator did a really good job.

Na7lah
01-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Do you have the arabic version?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-18-2010, 10:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Na7lah
Do you have the arabic version?
A quick google search linked to a downloadable e-book:

http://www.4shared.com/file/63109220..._____-___.html

You can view a manuscript here which is somewhat readable:
http://bc.ub.leidenuniv.nl/bc/olg/selec/tawq/index.html

Hayaa
01-19-2010, 06:51 AM
True love... is unconditional

syilla
01-19-2010, 07:42 AM
loves that can be bring to heaven... :) :wub:

Snowflake
01-19-2010, 09:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hayaa
True love... is unconditional
Have you got an example? :p

format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
That's easy to say that when you haven't seen Heaven ;D

syilla
01-20-2010, 01:55 AM
That's easy to say that when you haven't seen Heaven ;D
Just to remind those who used love that cannot be brought to the Heaven. ;D

CosmicPathos
01-20-2010, 02:01 AM
walaikum assalam,

I do not believe that true love can exist in this world except for Allah (swt) and for one's parents.
The love for wife can be replaced. Its not unique to one wife. One man can love two wives. It might be a true love for one's wife but its not something similar to the love which one develops for Allah (swt) who is one and parents who are also one! You have only One Allah, You have only a one set of parents ... but you can have new wives, whether during the life of first wife or after her death.

Same can be said from a wife's perspective. If her husband dies, she might marry a new guy. Actually very few people dont re-marry after the death of their spouses. Its perfectly fine with Islam to remarry after spouse's death. but you cant do that with parents eh! Whether they die, you cant replace them. Thats why i call love for parents "true love."

-Elle-
01-20-2010, 02:11 AM
Someone on this same forum posted this, I can remember who or when, (if that person recognizes themselves please refresh my memory :) ) I found it quite beautiful;

Ibn Hazm put it beautifully:

If the cause of Love were physical beauty, the consequence would be that no body defective in any shape or form would attract admiration; yet we know of many a man actually preferring the inferior article, though well aware that another is superior, and quite unable to turn his heart away from it. Again, if Love were due to a harmony of characters, no man would love a person who was not of like purpose and in concord with him. We therefore conclude that Love is something within the soul itself. Sometimes, it is true, Love comes as a result of a definite cause outside the soul, but then it passes away when the cause itself disappears: one who is fond of you because of a certain circumstance will turn his back on you when that motive no longer exists.
I don't really believe in love between two people. You may be infatuated with someone, but that usually fades. Only after enduring hardships and joys and having that person constantly by your side can you claim to love them, but I find nowadays even that is hard to find.

syilla
01-20-2010, 02:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
Thats why i call love for parents "true love."
What if you have two parents? ;D

JUst to add... any kind of loves. Even in friendship :)

CosmicPathos
01-20-2010, 02:28 AM
What if you have two parents? ;D

JUst to add... any kind of loves. Even in friendship :)
Of course we have two parents, dad and mom. Who else apart from that is our begetter?

syilla
01-20-2010, 02:35 AM
Of course we have two parents, dad and mom. Who else apart from that is our begetter?
well okay...how about two mothers and two fathers.

CosmicPathos
01-20-2010, 02:44 AM
well okay...how about two mothers and two fathers.
how is that possible? I cant love any human more than the body and the vessel (my biological mother) from whom I emerged into this world even if she tortured me. So the question of guardian mother does not even arise.

syilla
01-20-2010, 02:48 AM
how is that possible? I cant love any human more than the body and the vessel (my biological mother) from whom I emerged into this world even if she tortured me. So the question of guardian mother does not even arise.
I'm not talking about you...lol I mean what if others who have two mothers and two fathers. Probably because the mother or father married another. Maybe because one of the parents has died.

Italianguy
01-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Amo mia Madre! :statisfie

Tony
01-25-2010, 12:14 PM
True love will be experienced if we ever finally get to be in the prescence of Muhammad (pbuh) or those shining souls who will be judged worthy enough togaze upon the countenance of Allah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.