/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Should we give money to beggars?

Life_Is_Short
01-20-2010, 12:08 AM
:sl: (peace be upon you)

Today i saw a muslim lady begging on the street. She was in good health, (alhamduli'Allah) but she was begging. She did not speak english and so i could not ask her why she was begging.

Considering the fact you can easily work in this country and earn your living, should we give money to people like that?

Jazak'Allah Khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
CosmicPathos
01-20-2010, 12:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short

Today i saw a muslim lady begging on the street. She was in good health, (alhamduli'Allah) but she was begging. She did not speak english and so i could not ask her why she was begging.

Considering the fact you can easily work in this country and earn your living, should we give money to people like that?

Jazak'Allah Khair
I think I would have helped (if I had money) because I do not know why she cant work ... maybe shes homless or maybe gone bankrupt. ..i dont know

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-20-2010, 12:31 AM
How do u distinguish a real one and a fake one? Cause trust me, there are plenty of fakers...I would still give it nonetheless due to my own niyah...

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 12:36 AM

Jazak'Allah Khair
I'd disagree easy to work in London, sister go east london and there a thousands of international students begging for a job no matter the pay anything and they are still unable to find one. Sis this is not the case for some reason the british govt new immigration rule and examinations has led for international students from the 3rd world countries to get into the country easier.

Even with the right qualification, many british born people have trouble finding work in the current job market climate.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 12:39 AM
But referring to the question i would of given her some money because from the fact she speaks little english so probably migrated from a 3rd world country looking for better opportunities, maybe a assylum seeker who knws but nonetheless i'd given some money

Cabdullahi
01-20-2010, 12:41 AM
i get lots of people saying they need money for bus fare but i reply to them where is the bus stop i'll pay the driver so you can get on but they chicken out and do a runner the opposite way.

one day an african guy approached me and said can i use your phone i said to him '' no sir '' then he was a bit disappointed so i asked him where he was from he replied ''Zanzibar'' and then i said to myself in soliloquy 'i busted you!...you con man! you aint gonna use my phone whilst your from zanzibar money laundering , scams , premium rate number set up and call up :raging:!!''

all those things were running through my mind but wallahi i they guy could've needed my phone for genuine reasons like to call his wife....or friend?

Life_Is_Short
01-20-2010, 12:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by S<Chowdhury
I'd disagree easy to work in London, sister go east london and there a thousands of international students begging for a job no matter the pay anything and they are still unable to find one. Sis this is not the case for some reason the british govt new immigration rule and examinations has led for international students from the 3rd world countries to get into the country easier.

Even with the right qualification, many british born people have trouble finding work in the current job market climate.
I happen to be looking for a job for my aunt (who does not speak english)on the same high street in east london today and many shops owned by Asians were happy to offer her a job. They did not require any qualifications.

جوري
01-20-2010, 12:51 AM
what counts is your intention.. you sincerely want to help someone.
if she is needy then you'll have helped her insha'Allah
if she is conning you then her 7isab is with Allah swt and you'll still be rewarded for your good deed insha'Allah..

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 12:52 AM
I happen to be looking for a job for my aunt (who does not speak english)on the same high street in east london today and many shops owned by Asians were happy to offer her a job. They did not require any qualifications.

Hmmm its wat i've been hearing in the news for a while now is students unable to get jobs, but maybe because these students come on visa harder for them to finds jobs with restriction etc, plus employers dont want to run the risk

Life_Is_Short
01-20-2010, 01:03 AM
In a way you're encouraging them to keep begging so i would rather help her get a job then to give her money. Besides she was a muslim sister, she does not belong on the streets where there are strange men.

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 01:10 AM
In a way you're encouraging them to keep begging so i would rather help her get a job then to give her money. Besides she was a muslim sister, she does not belong on the streets where there are strange men.
We don't know her full story maybe she's an asylum seeker/illegal immigrant so she doesn't have the right papers in order to be employed. But i can't argue with that not the best place for a women to be on the streets begging, but then she could be in desperation who knows or otherwise would she be begging on the street...?

Life_Is_Short
01-20-2010, 01:19 AM
We don't know her full story maybe she's an asylum seeker/illegal immigrant so she doesn't have the right papers in order to be employed. But i can't argue with that not the best place for a women to be on the streets begging, but then she could be in desperation who knows or otherwise would she be begging on the street...?
She needs to stay at home in that case. She can't have come here on her own. She must have either her brother, husband or dad to provide for her. Asylum seeker get paid by the government and illegal immigrant come with an intention of working.

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 01:25 AM
She needs to stay at home in that case. She can't have come here on her own. She must have either her brother, husband or dad to provide for her. Asylum seeker get paid by the government and illegal immigrant come with an intention of working.

yeah they get some income support but where does that go on ensuring a basic standard of living, they are forced usually to live 30% below the poverty line. Not mainstream welfare and support.

Not always for work so many other reasons and now usually they can't work because of strict enforcement in employing an illegal immigrant, as an employer you receive quite a big fine so employer if they do employ you then your gonna work for peanut money literally and be exploited.

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Look its all hypothetical situations as we don't know the truth, so we can go on forever lol, i agree sis that its not gd to be begging on the street, but in some circumstances its desperation and maybe as she can't communicate its harder for her to find the help she needs who knows, but i think we are going into immigration etc and off the topic though i did start it lool.

Life_Is_Short
01-20-2010, 01:35 AM
What about islamic help centers?

syilla
01-20-2010, 01:35 AM
The way i do it is like this. I only give to person that i know they really really needed the money. and try to do it every week because then you don't feel that guilty to those beggar that you don't gave :hiding: It is important to choose the genuine ones...then InshaAllah you'll be rewarded for they really really needed the money.

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 01:41 AM
What about islamic help centers?
Of course if she knows where they are, like i said hypothetical situations, could be fairly new to the country but then in east london its not that hard to find a mosque and islamic centres..... maybe if you see her again direct her towards one or give her an address.

Life_Is_Short
01-20-2010, 01:51 AM
Insha'Allah :)

Italianguy
01-20-2010, 02:01 AM
I do:D .........unless their sitting outside of a liquor storeimsad

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 02:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
I do:D .........unless their sitting outside of a liquor storeimsad
If they were standing outside a liquor store they maybe not give them money, but instead buy them some food or something. And if they are fake well most of them will just say No or insist on the money.

Woodrow
01-20-2010, 02:15 AM
I would prefer to be conned by a million people scamming me than risk not giving to one person truly needing help.

If I fail to give aid to a person in need, that is my sin and I need to face the results of it. If a person cons me that is their sin and what they reap from it will not be worth the paltry sum they have stolen from me.

Italianguy
01-20-2010, 02:21 AM
If they were standing outside a liquor store they maybe not give them money, but instead buy them some food or something. And if they are fake well most of them will just say No or insist on the money.
Trust me I have heard it all, I was born and raised in Queens New York. They come up with everything. If you say I will buy you a meal, they're like no thanks can I just have money:hmm:

Life_Is_Short
01-20-2010, 02:22 AM
I can't believe i walked away from her. imsad

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 02:27 AM
Trust me I have heard it all, I was born and raised in Queens New York. They come up with everything. If you say I will buy you a meal, they're like no thanks can I just have money:hmm:

yeh i guess so but then what else can you do for them because you knw if you give any money they'll just go and spend it on alcohol. Apart from actually taking the time out to get them to go to counselling and things, but its impossible to do it for everyone you meet. i guess brother Woodrow has the right idea.

Italianguy
01-20-2010, 02:28 AM
Actually, I was told as a Christian that I must give to anyone who ask's of me anything. The other day I left lunch with some clients and stopped at a red light. When I stopped, there was a man standing there with a sign that said "Homeless, iwill take anything your willing to give, God bless". I rolled down the window and was about to hand him money, when he saw me counting out a couple of $20.00 bills, i was going to hand him like $40.00 and he said "Sir I appreciate your giving me this money, but it is to much, I am sure you have bills to pay, I only ask of you what you can afford" NO JOKE! ...........I gave him $300.00 cash. How could I understand that kind of humility? He wanted to give some back! I thought to myself, ...he is a better man than I.

God be with him.

syilla
01-20-2010, 02:31 AM
there alot of cases in asia...they chopped the children hands and feet and ask them to beg. And sometimes they kidnapped the children from Malaysia and brings to Thailand and force the to beg. :(

Last two days...theres one 12 year old boy has been kidnapped in a van...and people saw this. But no one has been caught yet. :(

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 02:31 AM
Actually, I was told as a Christian that I must give to anyone who ask's of me anything. The other day I left lunch with some clients and stopped at a red light. When I stopped, there was a man standing there with a sign that said "Homeless, iwill take anything your willing to give, God bless". I rolled down the window and was about to hand him money, when he saw me counting out a couple of $20.00 bills, i was going to hand him like $40.00 and he said "Sir I appreciate your giving me this money, but it is to much, I am sure you have bills to pay, I only ask of you what you can afford" NO JOKE! ...........I gave him $300.00 cash. How could I understand that kind of humility? He wanted to give some back! I thought to myself, ...he is a better man than I.

God be with him.
wow, true that he's a better man than i am, can't believe that.

CosmicPathos
01-20-2010, 02:33 AM
Sis skye said the best thing.

Regarding beggars in Saudi Arabia especially Makkah, my dad has adopted one policy. If a beggar says "i need money to buy food." My dad tells them "come with me, I will buy you whatever you want, and we will eat together." needless to say, most of them start making excuses. Which shows that they are not being honest. So the beggars start sending female beggars because my dad cant offer to eat with them ... smart guys.

But on my recent visit, I did see some sisters sitting outside masjids with small kids. I think its a good idea to give to them, who knows they are divorced or what.

Asiyaah
01-20-2010, 02:33 AM
I can't believe i walked away from her. imsad
InshAllah, Sister, Allah will give you many opportunities to help the needy.

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 02:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
there alot of cases in asia...they chopped the children hands and feet and ask them to beg. And sometimes they kidnapped the children from Malaysia and brings to Thailand and force the to beg. :(

Last two days...theres one 12 year old boy has been kidnapped in a van...and people saw this. But no one has been caught yet. :(
Yeah Slumdog Millionaire showed that graphically, its really sad :(. But sometimes people sell there limbs in order to get money definitely in 3rd world countries. Other times in countries like Bangladesh and India they kidnap kids from the slums and take there organs for money. Its really a sad reality people face such hardship especially children.

Italianguy
01-20-2010, 02:36 AM
wow, true that he's a better man than i am, can't believe that.
I was blown away! to say the least! I just gave him everything in my pocket. He tried to give it all back after that. I made him keep it. I told him he needed it more than I.

Life_Is_Short
01-20-2010, 02:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
Sis skye said the best thing.

Regarding beggars in Saudi Arabia especially Makkah, my dad has adopted one policy. If a beggar says "i need money to buy food." My dad tells them "come with me, I will buy you whatever you want, and we will eat together." needless to say, most of them start making excuses. Which shows that they are not being honest. So the beggars start sending female beggars because my dad cant offer to eat with them ... smart guys.

But on my recent visit, I did see some sisters sitting outside masjids with small kids. I think its a good idea to give to them, who knows they are divorced or what.
I offered rice to a poor lady on my way to Haram but she refused. :(

syilla
01-20-2010, 02:41 AM
This only happened last month :(

http://www.malaysianbar.org.my/legal...n_beggars.html

MALACCA: The presence of three horribly disfigured beggars at night markets in Taman Malim Jaya and Kampung Lapan here has shocked residents into calling for the authorities to step in.

The faces and foreheads of the three seem to have been scalded with acid and two of them had no hands and one had no toes.

Their faces were so disfigured that it is difficult to guess their gender and age.

The three, believed to be foreigners, appeared at several night markets here about three weeks ago, startling residents with their deformities.

Readers tipped off Starprobe when the similarities among the three and their appearances together at the same night market at the same time arouse suspicions that they might belong to a syndicate preying on the emotions of the people to get money.

Their modus operandi has apparently worked well, judging from the money they have been able to collect.

On Tuesday evening, the Starprobe team followed these beggars and saw them being picked up by a taxi.

The team tailed them but the taxi driver managed to lose them after realising they were being followed.

The team also tried to follow them on Monday evening.

Residents said they were concerned about the beggars as it was possible that they were victims of syndicates who could have abducted them.

“Without their hands, it is most likely they cannot even feed themselves.

“Their faces are so disfigured, so even if their family members did stumble upon them, they would not recognise them at all. It’s pretty shocking.

“Without their fingers, thumb prints are gone. I hope the authorities can trace them and establish their identities,’’ a resident said.

Another caller expressed suspicion over the whole thing, saying that she believed such beggars, especially if they were “purposely disfigured”, were there more for greed.

“They are nothing more than employed beggars,” the caller said.

syilla
01-20-2010, 02:42 AM
edited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Italianguy
01-20-2010, 02:45 AM
Yeah Slumdog Millionaire showed that graphically, its really sad :(. But sometimes people sell there limbs in order to get money definitely in 3rd world countries. Other times in countries like Bangladesh and India they kidnap kids from the slums and take there organs for money. Its really a sad reality people face such hardship especially children.
Yeah your right. The depictions in that movie are correct. :cry: My wife said she always had little kids that had been disfigured on purpose comming to her for money:cry: They do this to them to make them seem more destitute.....saddest part is ....they really are that bad off. imsad

I have been begging my wife to go to India soon...but I fear I wont be able to handle seeing a little homeless girl begging without me getting angry and trying to do something about it:heated: I told my wife I will bring them all home with me:D

It would take an act of God to stop me form K****ng a man I caught do that to those children:raging::raging::raging::raging: I would give my life to help at least one of those children.

How can someone do that:cry: I melt when i see my wifes 4 year old cousin staring at me with a huge smile:D and those huge brown eyes:statisfie And saddly a picture comes to mind of those who never smile:cry:

Italianguy
01-20-2010, 02:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
..................:cry:

Life_Is_Short
01-20-2010, 02:51 AM
This is so sad. :( I wish i could so something about it.

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 02:51 AM
Yeah your right. The depictions in that movie are correct. :cry: My wife said she always had little kids that had been disfigured on purpose comming to her for money:cry: They do this to them to make them seem more destitute.....saddest part is ....they really are that bad off. imsad

I have been begging my wife to go to India soon...but I fear I wont be able to handle seeing a little homeless girl begging without me getting angry and trying to do something about it:heated: I told my wife I will bring them all home with me:D

It would take an act of God to stop me form K****ng a man I caught do that to those children:raging::raging::raging::raging: I would give my life to help at least one of those children.

How can someone do that:cry: I melt when i see my wifes 4 year old cousin staring at me with a huge smile:D and those huge brown eyes:statisfie And saddly a picture comes to mind of those who never smile:cry:
Yeah same brother, I wish i could adopt every last one of them and give them a better life, but it would be impossible, i melt too everytime i see cute lil children living in such poverty. Hmmm hopefully when i finish my studies and get a gd job start up a few children homes or something

Italianguy
01-20-2010, 03:04 AM
Yeah same brother, I wish i could adopt every last one of them and give them a better life, but it would be impossible, i melt too everytime i see cute lil children living in such poverty. Hmmm hopefully when i finish my studies and get a gd job start up a few children homes or something
God willng, you shall do so my friend!:D

My wifes aunty and uncle live in USA and are doctors (they're Indian) they built a village in India that caters to educating and saving the women from prostitution and those same beggar children. They started off by themselves and 4 residents....now they have 28,000 residents there(Indian and Pakistani):D:D They are Christians but welcome all who need help, from any religion without them being forced to convert whatso ever! They spend 6 months in India and 6 months in USA. They have NEVER had a day off! No joke. We begged them to take a vacation, they outright refuse. They do all the work themselves including providing free medical help, homes, schools, churchs , mosques, temples, they fund %75 themselves!! They have no home in India and only a small 1 room apartment in USA. They have no retirement, they give everything away, they said "We cannot bring anything with us to heaven, we will die serving humanity" I only wish I were as good as them! They also adopted 12 of the children for themselves. 2 of which are blind and 2 who have had their arms ......removed by syndicates. All of them help.

They are an amazing example of humanity we should ALL strive to be like.

God bless them.

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 03:05 AM
Its about stopping the vicious cycle but you can't do that without changing the policing, corruption and this exploitation of people. Charities and children homes they can only go so far, it slows the process down and makes it harder for these well without using fowl language Callous people from snatching children. Unless the police and politicians stop taking bribes etc it'll never change...... :(

Even in the refugee camps in Pakistan etc exploitation happens, kids are employed by clothing manufacturer companies for 2p an hour, just so we can have cheap clothes....disgusting to say the least in a refugee camp of all places.

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 03:09 AM

My wifes aunty and uncle live in USA and are doctors (they're Indian) they built a village in India that caters to educating and saving the women from prostitution and those same beggar children. They started off by themselves and 4 residents....now they have 28,000 residents there(Indian and Pakistani):D:D They are Christians but welcome all who need help, from any religion without them being forced to convert whatso ever! They spend 6 months in India and 6 months in USA. They have NEVER had a day off! No joke. We begged them to take a vacation, they outright refuse. They do all the work themselves including providing free medical help, homes, schools, churchs , mosques, temples, they fund %75 themselves!! They have no home in India and only a small 1 room apartment in USA. They have no retirement, they give everything away, they said "We cannot bring anything with us to heaven, we will die serving humanity" I only wish I were as good as them! They also adopted 12 of the children for themselves. 2 of which are blind and 2 who have had their arms ......removed by syndicates. All of them help.

God bless them.
Definitely we should strive to be like them :), we need more people like them in the world.

Italianguy
01-20-2010, 03:16 AM
Definitely we should strive to be like them :), we need more people like them in the world.
They are out there, they just don't want attention (bragging rights, stardom) Her aunty and uncle have no web site, they do not advertise, no one knows they do this unless someone asks. And even then they are reluctant to give location in fear of pimps and kidnappers coming back to get the kids or prostitutes. It has happened a couple of times. Aunty was by herself one day when uncle went to get supplies, 2 men came in the village acting like they wanted to help.....they tried to take some kids and a couple aunties threw stuff at them! It worked but as a result, aunty had a massive stroke from the stress and and excitement, and has lost motor function in her right arm and the side of her faceimsad.......That only stopped her for like 10 days....then she went right back to work acting as if nothing happened! Aunty is amazing!

God be with her . Amen

Life_Is_Short
01-20-2010, 03:20 AM

God bless them.
This is what i want to do (Insh'Allah) but i have to be educated first. imsad

These people are the real heroes. May Allah grant them Paradise, Ameen!

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 03:22 AM
They are out there, they just don't want attention (bragging rights, stardom) Her aunty and uncle have no web site, they do not advertise, no one knows they do this unless someone asks. And even then they are reluctant to give location in fear of pimps and kidnappers coming back to get the kids or prostitutes. It has happened a couple of times. Aunty was by herself one day when uncle went to get supplies, 2 men came in the village acting like they wanted to help.....they tried to take some kids and a couple aunties threw stuff at them! It worked but as a result, aunty had a massive stroke from the stress and and excitement, and has lost motor function in her right arm and the side of her faceimsad.......That only stopped her for like 10 days....then she went right back to work acting as if nothing happened! Aunty is amazing!

God be with her . Amen
10 Days people need a year to get there strength back.... True Heroes

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-21-2010, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I would prefer to be conned by a million people scamming me than risk not giving to one person truly needing help.

If I fail to give aid to a person in need, that is my sin and I need to face the results of it. If a person cons me that is their sin and what they reap from it will not be worth the paltry sum they have stolen from me.
Wow ur so right subhanAllah..

deepfreeze66
01-21-2010, 04:51 PM
In Taiwan if you will never see beggars on the street because we have a very strict work code.....

syilla
01-22-2010, 06:39 AM
^^^ interesting!!!!. Have you made any introduction at the introduction sections. You must!!!! Rarely we find we get someone from Taiwan here in LI :)

Ali_uk
01-22-2010, 11:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
I think I would have helped (if I had money) because I do not know why she cant work ... maybe shes homless or maybe gone bankrupt. ..i dont know

You never know why someone is on the street, so many people had normal lives, loose their job, home, family then you see them on the street. You think anyone would choose to live on the street, begging?

If you have some change in your pocket, why not give?

Abdul Qadir
01-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Jazak'Allah Khair
nvm her intentions for begging...whats ur intention?

peaceandlove
01-22-2010, 01:00 PM

Jazak'Allah Khair
:sl: here is an idea , that might work , its work atleast sometime to me.

If its seem that begger is healthy enough to do any work , offer him to do some work for money , like if you are going in a car etc ask him to clean the car and you will give him money for that work. and with the answer/action after this you can judge to it.

I had done the same many time , here in pakistan there are many fake women begger also , if i see some healthy women begging to me , we just ask him that we want a person who will clean our house daily , will you work and almost more than 90% begger will just disappers saying nothing , because they donot want to work.

Blackpool
01-22-2010, 05:37 PM
No. Many beggars come to me when I'm the city. I reply by telling them to get a job like everyone else. The government provides these people with homes, food and benefits to help them get by in the UK. The UK also gives them support in finding a job but many cannot be arsed. There are also beggars that scrounge, making hundreds a day, driving flash cars and then return home to their nice cosy, big house. A survey was held once in some city. Of all the "homeless" people, not ONE of them lived on the streets.

They're either scamming you or they're just **** lazy. They get cash, home and food from the government which comes out of our tax!

Why do you think that the police arrest these guys for doing so? Not so long ago there was a crackdown on beggars and 15 were arrested in one day.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Aslaamu alaaykum..
If a beggar approaches someone whether theyre fake or real, and we give them money were still rewarded, and the rest is between Allah and that individual Insha`Allaah. Allaah will deal with him in the end.
However, Begging is not what a muslim should be doing, we seek Allaahs help, and dont put our selves in such states, i mean look at the Prophet Sallahu alayhi wa salam he was our rolemodel hense what he did is what we should try to do, he would never ever go out and beg and stuff, the only one he would beg is to the Allmighty Allaah Subhana wa wa t`ala. If he wouldnt do it, then we shouldnt either Indeed.

But because soo much people are unaware of their deen, they dont care, they are not so knowledgeable as we may be, to realise how bad such an act is.., Insha`Allaah we should advice the person for example an indvidual who is begging, try to say a good word, And InshaAllaah pray for them and InshaAllaah they will realise..so yeah..
sorry if i said anything bad or wrong..:(
Wa alaaykum salaam

zakirs
01-22-2010, 06:38 PM
:sl:

I generally avoid giving to children.But mostly if i have money i give.

Blackpool
01-24-2010, 09:17 AM
I can't stand these scroungers, they make me sick. Lazy.

Raaina
01-24-2010, 10:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
No. Many beggars come to me when I'm the city. I reply by telling them to get a job like everyone else. The government provides these people with homes, food and benefits to help them get by in the UK. The UK also gives them support in finding a job but many cannot be arsed. There are also beggars that scrounge, making hundreds a day, driving flash cars and then return home to their nice cosy, big house. A survey was held once in some city. Of all the "homeless" people, not ONE of them lived on the streets.

They're either scamming you or they're just **** lazy. They get cash, home and food from the government which comes out of our tax!
I can't stand these scroungers, they make me sick. Lazy.
I think you make a very poor, general sweeping statement there.

I've been out of work now for 12+ months and it is not because I am lazy.

I get up every morning at 7am, I call agencies every morning by 9am and then I go about my job searches. I send my cv's out asking if there is any available work or to keep my cv on file, I ask in shops if there is any work available, I do everything I possibly can to try and find a job.

Yet if I wasn't lucky enough to have parent's living close by or who could put me up, I to could perhaps be on the streets by now, where people like you judge, without even knowning their sitation.

So perhaps while you are being so quick to judge people and advising them to "just get a job like everyone else" perhaps you could offer more construction advice and be less judgemental and realise not everyone is on the streets by choice or because they are to lazy to get a job.

In relation to the other posts on the topic, if I see a begger, I will give them food or occasionally money if I have some in my pocket.

Blackpool
01-24-2010, 10:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
I think you make a very poor, general sweeping statement there.

I've been out of work now for 12+ months and it is not because I am lazy.

I get up every morning at 7am, I call agencies every morning by 9am and then I go about my job searches. I send my cv's out asking if there is any available work or to keep my cv on file, I ask in shops if there is any work available, I do everything I possibly can to try and find a job.

Yet if I wasn't lucky enough to have parent's living close by or who could put me up, I to could perhaps be on the streets by now, where people like you judge, without even knowning their sitation.

So perhaps while you are being so quick to judge people and advising them to "just get a job like everyone else" perhaps you could offer more construction advice and be less judgemental and realise not everyone is on the streets by choice or because they are to lazy to get a job.

In relation to the other posts on the topic, if I see a begger, I will give them food or occasionally money if I have some in my pocket.
With you being out of work I would presume you're on benefits until you find yourself a job. If you did go homeless then you would be able to find accommodation immediately to prevent you living on the streets. There are more than a few in Blackpool. There are 198 hostels for "homeless" people in the North-West area.

Rather than getting themselves in a hostel and sorting themselves out they would rather scrounge aswell as take the other benefits. Nothing but scroungers and I cannot stand them. Why is it that these scroungers are arrested here in the UK if caught by the police?

I was robbed a few times when I was 14 by these scroungers. I no longer have sympathy.

Blackpool
01-24-2010, 10:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_uk
You never know why someone is on the street, so many people had normal lives, loose their job, home, family then you see them on the street. You think anyone would choose to live on the street, begging?

If you have some change in your pocket, why not give?
Yes. I, myself, have dignity though. Just think, if you were out on the streets and you managed to just get 10 people in one hour to give you just £1 that would be simple. Now if you did this continually for 10hrs you would make £100 in just one day. Now multiply this by 5 and that would add upto £500 a week with the weekend off. Weekends would be overtime however, with so many people doing shopping. You're having a laugh. Cancer Research is a better charity to give.

Salahudeen
01-24-2010, 12:21 PM
hmm jus the otherday something happened that made me feel bad, I was standing at the bus stop and this non muslim came upto me and asked if I had 30p for the bus, I only had pound coins on me so I said "nah m8" but he didn't look like a begger he looked like a person who genuinely needed 30p to get home.

Afterwards I felt so bad like I should've gone to the shop which was 2 mins away and got change or jus gave him the pound imsad and then I began thinking, that was the perfect opportunity for dawah also imsad I could've used that situation in so many ways like " I'll give you it with the condition you look into Islam at some point and see what it's about" imsad

Just a few weeks ago this non muslim british born came upto my uncle and asked him for some money for food, my uncle asked him about his situation and he said "my dad's kicked me out and I've been sleeping rough" then my uncle advised him "look this is britain they have places to stay, they don't like homless people on the street go to your local council they'll provide you with somewhere to stay"

so then my uncle gave him £2 for food and he asked if he could have £3 my uncle said your having a laugh ain't ya, you can get a decent meal with £2 but then my uncle gave him anyway with the condition that he looks into Islam at some point.

2 weeks later he took his shahadda in the masjid at a conference infront of many people.

I told my uncle there was a new revert at the conference, I showed him a video of the person reverting on the internet and he shouted,

"I KNOW HIM!! that's the guy who I gave money to for food the other week" :)

Asiyah3
01-24-2010, 12:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
hmm jus the otherday something happened that made me feel bad, I was standing at the bus stop and this non muslim came upto me and asked if I had 30p for the bus, I only had pound coins on me so I said "nah m8" but he didn't look like a begger he looked like a person who genuinely needed 30p to get home.

Afterwards I felt so bad like I should've gone to the shop which was 2 mins away and got change or jus gave him the pound imsad and then I began thinking, that was the perfect opportunity for dawah also imsad I could've used that situation in so many ways like " I'll give you it with the condition you look into Islam at some point and see what it's about" imsad

Just a few weeks ago this non muslim british born came upto my uncle and asked him for some money for food, my uncle asked him about his situation and he said "my dad's kicked me out and I've been sleeping rough" then my uncle advised him "look this is britain they have places to stay, they don't like homless people on the street go to your local council they'll provide you with somewhere to stay"

so then my uncle gave him £2 for food and he asked if he could have £3 my uncle said your having a laugh ain't ya, you can get a decent meal with £2 but then my uncle gave him anyway with the condition that he looks into Islam at some point.

2 weeks later he took his shahadda in the masjid at a conference infront of many people.

I told my uncle there was a new revert at the conference, I showed him a video of the person reverting on the internet and he shouted,

aww... SubhaanalLah! Masha'lLah'

Unfortunately here the beggers don't know the languages I speak :( Or else I'd also try to buy them food or find out why don't work etc.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-24-2010, 03:06 PM

Wowww SubhanaAllaah thats sooo really beautifull man... it gives me some ideas Indeedy man...that is the best wayyy Indeed to deal with them i think , and thats a wonderful way to do Dawah wow, MashaAllaah man

Raaina
01-24-2010, 04:59 PM

Wow, thats fantastic :)

Raaina
01-24-2010, 05:04 PM
With you being out of work I would presume you're on benefits until you find yourself a job. If you did go homeless then you would be able to find accommodation immediately to prevent you living on the streets. There are more than a few in Blackpool. There are 198 hostels for "homeless" people in the North-West area.

Rather than getting themselves in a hostel and sorting themselves out they would rather scrounge aswell as take the other benefits. Nothing but scroungers and I cannot stand them. Why is it that these scroungers are arrested here in the UK if caught by the police?

I was robbed a few times when I was 14 by these scroungers. I no longer have sympathy.
Just to inform you a little more. The council will only give you somewhere if you have no where to go.

When my parent's kicked out my brother, the council wouldn't give him a place nor would any of the homeless charities because there was a room at the family home for him. He ended up sleeping in his car for two months until he came home and worked something out with my parents.

Like I said, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge people who are sleeping on the streets.

zakirs
01-24-2010, 07:18 PM

MashaAllah , too good to be true

Insaanah
01-24-2010, 07:28 PM

so then my uncle gave him £2 for food and he asked if he could have £3 my uncle said your having a laugh ain't ya, you can get a decent meal with £2 but then my uncle gave him anyway with the condition that he looks into Islam at some point.2 weeks later he took his shahadda in the masjid at a conference infront of many people.
Although this has a great outcome, maashaAllah, are we allowed to do that? Link aid with people having to look into our religion, and making that a condition of helping them?

What if people say, "No, we don't want to look into Islam." Does that mean we're not going to help them?

Are there any recorded instances of rasoolullah sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam having helped people in this way, i.e. only giving on the basis of them looking into Islam?

Muezzin
01-24-2010, 07:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
what counts is your intention.. you sincerely want to help someone.
if she is needy then you'll have helped her insha'Allah
if she is conning you then her 7isab is with Allah swt and you'll still be rewarded for your good deed insha'Allah..

and Allah swt knows best

:w:
True. But because the thread starter doesn't know how to tell if a beggar is faking, it is better to give a beggar something to eat or drink, rather than money. That way, if they're real, they get something to eat or drink, and if they're fake, they might eventually decide to stop this sham when it fails to turn a sufficient profit.

Salahudeen
01-24-2010, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insane Insaan
Although this has a great outcome, maashaAllah, are we allowed to do that? Link aid with people having to look into our religion, and making that a condition of helping them?

What if people say, "No, we don't want to look into Islam." Does that mean we're not going to help them?

Are there any recorded instances of rasoolullah sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam having helped people in this way, i.e. only giving on the basis of them looking into Islam?
Of course you help them anyway even if they say no but what is the harm in telling some 1 to read Qur'an :hmm: it's not like your charging to help them. if anything your giving them a gift.

and there's many other ways you could do dawah if, you could just simply say "I'm helping you cos my religion tells me too do good" and that would make them think also.

when I mentioned the condition bit it wasn't said with seriousness and strict face, it was said jokingly in a smiling playful way where the person knows even if they say no you'll still help them.

you know when people laugh and joke and say things in such a way that they're taken light heartedly? that's what I meant :hmm:

Italianguy
01-27-2010, 12:42 AM
I was confronted with this situation this past weekend. I was in "Little India" New York, (Jackson Heights) this whole weekend......buying more sarees for my wife:p

On the street was a Muslim woman holding a a card that said she lost her job and had a couple of kids to feed. She walked up to me several times and would just say "walaikum Salam" and show me the paper. .......I did hand her $20.00. and asked her if she wanted food from the buffet their, she said no. A few minutes later i was waiting outside and just looking at some of the stuff the street venders had...(I had looked at enough sarees after 8 hoursssssssss:exhausted) I was looking at what one of the Muslim venders had, he noticed me and said that the sister is always begging money and that i shouldn't have given it to her.

I don't know if she was lying or not, but i felt better knowing I helped either way.

God be with you.

OurIslamic
01-27-2010, 12:53 AM
The employment rate is at its highest since the great depression. It's not exactly "easy" to get a job these days. Therefore, you have to develop a thought process regarding beggars. You can either give to ALL or not give to ANY. You may make a mistake when trying to check if someone is in true need vs someone who isn't.

cat eyes
01-27-2010, 01:07 AM
To be honest with you i would not give money to a beggar not in europe anyway because in the west theres no excuse and benefits are open to the person they ask people on the road because they use that money to get drugs so id be doing it for the safety of the person once a kid asked me for money he was looking very pale and extremely thin.

at that point i knew straight away he was a junky so i refused him..and you know by the way they behave to that they are stoned off there faces so you have to be careful who you give money to. we are all aware they use it for drugs because they are desperate and they will try anything..but of course i would try and give them dawah if possible and get them to a shelter but its impossible that a person can be dirt poor in the west because so many resources are open for them especially refuges.

Life_Is_Short
01-27-2010, 01:08 PM
I saw another old muslim lady today and she could not walk properly. imsad
I gave her some money and she said thank you.

zakirs
01-27-2010, 03:03 PM
I saw another old muslim lady today and she could not walk properly. imsad
I gave her some money and she said thank you.
I really feel helpless when i see old people. The money we give might help them 1 or 2 days :( :( .. how do they sleep , how do they take medicines ( let alone medicines what abt food ) .. whom do they have for talking with .. :(

S<Chowdhury
01-27-2010, 03:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zakirs
I really feel helpless when i see old people. The money we give might help them 1 or 2 days :( :( .. how do they sleep , how do they take medicines ( let alone medicines what abt food ) .. whom do they have for talking with .. :(
I get that feeling too of helplessness sometimes imsad

Italianguy
01-28-2010, 03:01 AM
I get that feeling too of helplessness sometimes imsad
Fullfill that feeling of helplessness by helping someone....everyday. Even something small. If you can't aford to donate money, help physically, or donating time, or telling them about God. Just telling them about God will strengthen your faith as well as build up their faith in God and or create belief in God that never existed for them before. How fullfilling would it make you feel to help someone else with their faith?.....Awesome right:D? That is better than any ammount of money you could ever give them.:D

God be with you.Amen

IslamicRevival
01-28-2010, 03:08 AM
I feel we should but when the time comes i back out. Reason being, many beggars will use the money they receive in buying drugs, alcohol etc This puts me off instantly

Life_Is_Short
01-28-2010, 03:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Troubled Soul
I feel we should but when the time comes i back out. Reason being, many beggars will use the money they receive in buying drugs, alcohol etc This puts me off instantly
True and you can distinguish them by the way they smell.

Salahudeen
02-01-2010, 01:26 PM
my mum all ways says to me " don't give them, this is britain they have benefits from the government to live off and shelters to live in and council will provide housing eventually.

they could even rent a place and claim housing benefit so their rent gets paid, what more can you ask for. alhamdulilah we are blessed to have it so easy.

Life_Is_Short
02-01-2010, 02:26 PM
my mum all ways says to me " don't give them, this is britain they have benefits from the government to live off and shelters to live in and council will provide housing eventually.

they could even rent a place and claim housing benefit so their rent gets paid, what more can you ask for. alhamdulilah we are blessed to have it so easy.
I think your mum is referring to some alcoholist and druggists. :hmm:

Woodrow
02-01-2010, 06:15 PM

Here in the USA homelessness is a major problem in every large city. Many people are not eligible for any benefits and there is a shortage of shelters. A disabled male,who is a USA citizen, between the ages of 18-65 will nearly always spend at least part of his life on the streets and homeless. Oddly a non-citizen seems to be more eligible for US benefits.

Esther462
02-01-2010, 06:41 PM

My Grandad said that too when I was a kid.
I don't give money to homeless or beggars as they might be spending it on drugs.

Woodrow
02-01-2010, 07:17 PM

An interesting report about homeless people in London.

Barriers in accessing homeless provision and service needs of Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups in London
Summary of Findings
Survey and Interviews with homeless individuals
SOURCE: http://www.rota.org.uk/downloads/Int...%20%282%29.pdf

Getoffmyback
02-01-2010, 08:52 PM
No matter what , fake or geniun beggar . I always have a bad feeling after rejecting or ignoring them.

★ηαѕιнα★
02-01-2010, 09:05 PM
I thought there was some hadieth or so about giving people food and stuff instead of money. When you give the wrong person money and they spend it in a bad way, like drugs or alcohol, you take some of the blame cos you financed it. Allahoe A3lem dunno for sure.

Salaam alaikom

Woodrow
02-01-2010, 09:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nasiha21
I thought there was some hadieth or so about giving people food and stuff instead of money. When you give the wrong person money and they spend it in a bad way, like drugs or alcohol, you take some of the blame cos you financed it. Allahoe A3lem dunno for sure.

Salaam alaikom
In many cases there is no option except money, unless you plan on just giving one meal. Remember, a homeless person has no place to store food and it is a burden for them to try to carry it.

Yes it is a sin if you help or finance a person to sin. But, I believe it is a greater sin to miss feeding a needy person out of fear the money will be misused. I am fairly certain that if you exercise reasonable caution in being certain the person is not going to use the money for illegitimate purposes, you will have made your donation with proper intent and any sin is the sin of the person you donated to.

Also keep in mind an evil person seeking the money for drugs or other purposes, would still accept the food, but resell it for cash to buy the drugs or even trade the food for drugs. All we can do is use reasonable caution and not extreme caution based on fear.

Ansariyah
02-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Sometimes people who beg aren't even poor...

I heard stories:exhausted

Woodrow
02-01-2010, 11:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
Sometimes people who beg aren't even poor...

I heard stories:exhausted
That does happen and it not only steals from those who donate, it also steals from those who truly need the donation.

There are a few cities in the US that license beggars. to be licensed as such the person needs to show they do not have adequate income to survive, have tried to find work and are registered with employment agencies trying to find them work. SEE: http://lawrenceks.org/web_based_agen...ison_2009.html

★ηαѕιнα★
02-02-2010, 09:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
In many cases there is no option except money, unless you plan on just giving one meal. Remember, a homeless person has no place to store food and it is a burden for them to try to carry it.

Yes it is a sin if you help or finance a person to sin. But, I believe it is a greater sin to miss feeding a needy person out of fear the money will be misused. I am fairly certain that if you exercise reasonable caution in being certain the person is not going to use the money for illegitimate purposes, you will have made your donation with proper intent and any sin is the sin of the person you donated to.

Also keep in mind an evil person seeking the money for drugs or other purposes, would still accept the food, but resell it for cash to buy the drugs or even trade the food for drugs. All we can do is use reasonable caution and not extreme caution based on fear.
You know my uncle came across a begger and his son in the area of Masdjied al Haraam in Mecca. The brother told him his luggage was stolen and he needed money to get a planeticket home. My uncle gave him enough to get a planeticket for him an his son. A day after he cought him asking another person for the same thing. Seriously my uncle was shocked. Commiting sins for one and then also in THAT holy area..:hmm:
My point is how sad as it is people can't always be trusted. You can never be a 100% sure that A. They REALLY need the money and B. There gonna use it in a good way.

Salaam

Woodrow
02-02-2010, 10:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ★ηαѕιнα★
You know my uncle came across a begger and his son in the area of Masdjied al Haraam in Mecca. The brother told him his luggage was stolen and he needed money to get a planeticket home. My uncle gave him enough to get a planeticket for him an his son. A day after he cought him asking another person for the same thing. Seriously my uncle was shocked. Commiting sins for one and then also in THAT holy area..:hmm:
My point is how sad as it is people can't always be trusted. You can never be a 100% sure that A. They REALLY need the money and B. There gonna use it in a good way.

Salaam
True, you can never be 100% sure This is true anytime you perform any act of charity. You can only be certain of your own intent and that you have reasonable reason to believe your charity is going to a genuine need. Even if you bring a person to a restaurant for a meal, you do not know absolutely if they are not begging for a meal, so they can use their food budget for buying drugs or alcohol. But that should not stop us from performing charity, You are not responsible if somebody has stolen from you and you have taken reasonable caution. The key is to exercise REASONABLE caution, not to use it as an excuse to avoid being charitable.

S<Chowdhury
02-02-2010, 09:28 PM
I was reading the Metro as you do whilst on the London underground LOL, and i read this article which reminded me of this thread so i thought i might post it...

Fraudster Li Yousheng on his flat-board with wheels, while playing sad songs on a stereo - note the bowl full of cash in the foreground

It's a miracle: Li Yousheng is taken in by police.

Full Story http://www.metro.co.uk/news/world/81...chinese-beggar

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.