/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why are the prophets so important in Islam?

Darth Ultor
01-24-2010, 03:49 AM
Why are the prophets held in such high esteem that a Muslim must accept all of them? Why isn't the acceptance of there being only one God and being a good person enough? Please tell me in layman's terms.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
01-24-2010, 04:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
Why are the prophets held in such high esteem that a Muslim must accept all of them? Why isn't the acceptance of there being only one God and being a good person enough? Please tell me in layman's terms.
Greetings,

To reject one prophet is to reject all the prophets.
for instance the people of A'ad were sent only one prophet.. prophet Hud, however in the Quran you see:

كَذَّبَتْ عَادٌ الْمُرْسَلِينَ {123}
[Pickthal 26:123] (The tribe of) A'ad denied the messengers (of Allah).

so you wonder how can they be sent 'one prophet' and be spoken of as if they reject all? That is to reject one is to reject all. And that is a very grievous sin!
Also in Islam it is said that one is asked questions of truth in the barzakh ( the place the souls go to after death) and all people will be asked whether or not they were sent a messenger and who their messenger was. After Islam the messenger of all people is prophet Mohammed (PBUH) so you can't say will we are Jews we only believe in Moses, we are Mandeans we only believe in John the baptist, we are christians we only believe in Jesus.. People will be asked for the messenger of their time however if another messenger comes they must follow him as he is sent to lead them aright. The final and seal of the prophets to the world now is prophet Mohammed (p) whether or not people wish to acknowledge that for he has been sent to all of mankind.

and Allah swt knows best.

hope that answers your Q

peace

//-Asif-\\
01-24-2010, 05:13 AM
The reason that Prophets are held in such high regard is because they are the demonstration of Allah's commands/word/criteria put into action. The prophets (peace be upon them all) were chosen by God to lead and guide a society that needed guidance. All the Prophets that have lived on earth were given that task for their specific times, in their specific lands, with the people they lived amongst. No matter how many prophets were sent and chosen by God (and Muslims believe that since the dawn of human living their have been close to 125,000) they all had a unified duty and cause--To demonstrate the proper way of conduct and living based on God's commands and criteria.

Let me put it this way, God could bring down commandments, signs and revelations all He wants but most people would ask for a visual aid or example to follow. A prophet would fulfill that need. The Children of Israel were guided by Moses (pbuh) to follow commandments and criteria revealed by God to Moses (pbuh). Christians believe that Jesus(pbuh) was God's word put into flesh. Now barring the whole mess of the Trinity, the question of divinity or not, this is basically the prime example of the importance of Prophets and applies to all of them. They are God's word exemplified.

The Prophets were people that God could just point at and be like: "That's what I'm talking about!", "That's how you should act/behave" "Just do like he does and you'll be rewarded". The prophets are examples of proper human conduct, with the main Prophet being The Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) because he was the last of the prophets and was elevated by God over the rest of the Prophets that had come before because he exhibited all the qualities and characteristics of an ideal human being.

Hope that helped. :)

_PakistaN_
01-24-2010, 05:48 AM
Let me ask you this. Does the devil know there is a god? Yes. So does that mean he is a believer?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rabi Mansur
01-24-2010, 10:52 AM
so you wonder how can they be sent 'one prophet' and be spoken of as if they reject all? That is to reject one is to reject all. And that is a very grievous sin!
Also in Islam it is said that one is asked questions of truth in the barzakh ( the place the souls go to after death) and all people will be asked whether or not they were sent a messenger and who their messenger was. After Islam the messenger of all people is prophet Mohammed (PBUH) so you can't say will we are Jews we only believe in Moses, we are Mandeans we only believe in John the baptist, we are christians we only believe in Jesus.. People will be asked for the messenger of their time however if another messenger comes they must follow him as he is sent to lead them aright. The final and seal of the prophets to the world now is prophet Mohammed (p) whether or not people wish to acknowledge that for he has been sent to all of mankind.
I wonder how that would work? In the barzakh, most people I know would answer Joseph Smith (I'm surrounded by Mormons). They know nothing of Mohammad (PBUH). I don't know anyone in my area who is even remotely aware of what is written in the Qur'an or the life of Mohammad(p).
How are people to be judged who have not the faintest idea of anything taught by Mohammad(p)?
I would hope that there is some mercy involved.:nervous:

:wa:

Alpha Dude
01-24-2010, 11:41 AM
The quran says that there were many messengers and prophets before the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. Muslims must accept everything the Quran says, therefore it stands that they would need to also accept everything about previous messengers, peace be upon them.

Prophets are sinless and were chosen to deliver the message of God to the people. They are better than us. We have to hold them in high esteem.

We only follow the message of the final Prophet and Messenger Muhammad peace be upon him, but acknowledge the existence and have love for the ones that came before him, peace be upon them.

Darth Ultor
01-24-2010, 12:43 PM
No, I understand the part of accepting all the prophets, but I meant the prophets in general. They were very good men, yes, but men make mistakes no matter how great they are. I thought nobody stands between Man and Allah.

جوري
01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
No, I understand the part of accepting all the prophets, but I meant the prophets in general. They were very good men, yes, but men make mistakes no matter how great they are. I thought nobody stands between Man and Allah.
How is accepting that God sent messengers with the same message stand between one and God?

format_quote Originally Posted by thetruth2009
Assalam aleykoum sister,

I agree with the verse you brought.

I do not agree with you when you say all people have to follow the Prophete Mohamed SWS.

We talked about that few months ago, nobody could bring me proof in the Quran.

What happened all my messages were deleted.

If a personn is sure about his belief, that personn will never doubt

Assalam aleykoum sister with all respect due to you.
I find many of your beliefs to be outside the folds of Islam.
Messengers are sent as people go astray so no one would ever have to be without a message. Those who sincerely didn't know or weren't given a message will have their chance and some of their trials will start on the day of recompense. BTW you can find all I have written above in Anwar Al'walaki's lecture

http://www.scribd.com/doc/87992/The-...y-of-Judgement

so I didn't actually make it up.. what you choose to believe or not from this point on, is your own business!

all the best

جوري
01-24-2010, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rabimansur
I wonder how that would work? In the barzakh, most people I know would answer Joseph Smith (I'm surrounded by Mormons). They know nothing of Mohammad (PBUH). I don't know anyone in my area who is even remotely aware of what is written in the Qur'an or the life of Mohammad(p).
How are people to be judged who have not the faintest idea of anything taught by Mohammad(p)?
I would hope that there is some mercy involved.:nervous:

:wa:
as stated rabi, if you sincerely weren't given a chance at the truth, then your trials will be on the day of recompense, I have already posted the Quranic verse to prove that before, but I am pressed for time at this very moment to cement what I have just written with Quranic evidence.

choosing ignorance is not an excuse, everyone should make a quest for the truth and renew their covenant even Muslims, it isn't a birth right.

Anyhow, God is the judge of all, so no ones trials and judgment lies with me, I am just posting my understanding from my reading and lectures...

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

Darth Ultor
01-24-2010, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by //-Asif-\\
The reason that Prophets are held in such high regard is because they are the demonstration of Allah's commands/word/criteria put into action. The prophets (peace be upon them all) were chosen by God to lead and guide a society that needed guidance. All the Prophets that have lived on earth were given that task for their specific times, in their specific lands, with the people they lived amongst. No matter how many prophets were sent and chosen by God (and Muslims believe that since the dawn of human living their have been close to 125,000) they all had a unified duty and cause--To demonstrate the proper way of conduct and living based on God's commands and criteria.

Let me put it this way, God could bring down commandments, signs and revelations all He wants but most people would ask for a visual aid or example to follow. A prophet would fulfill that need. The Children of Israel were guided by Moses (pbuh) to follow commandments and criteria revealed by God to Moses (pbuh). Christians believe that Jesus(pbuh) was God's word put into flesh. Now barring the whole mess of the Trinity, the question of divinity or not, this is basically the prime example of the importance of Prophets and applies to all of them. They are God's word exemplified.

The Prophets were people that God could just point at and be like: "That's what I'm talking about!", "That's how you should act/behave" "Just do like he does and you'll be rewarded". The prophets are examples of proper human conduct, with the main Prophet being The Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) because he was the last of the prophets and was elevated by God over the rest of the Prophets that had come before because he exhibited all the qualities and characteristics of an ideal human being.

Hope that helped. :)
Thank you, Asif. That does make sense.

smilewithhaqq
04-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Prophets are important in Islam because Allah swt has chosen them to spread the message of Islam and show everybody mannerism and etiquette. So they are our examples to follow so that way we can be good human beings too. Salam :)

Danah
04-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Because they are the examples we have to follow so its reasonable to have them in such a high situation. Also, they are the messengers who deliver the message of the Allah so they have such high situation because of the high level of the message they delivered. The message of tawhid can't be delivered by just a normal person.

Nokiacrazi
04-07-2010, 12:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Messengers are sent as people go astray so no one would ever have to be without a message. Those who sincerely didn't know or weren't given a message will have their chance and some of their trials will start on the day of recompense.
Expanding on this, if there was some person who had never heard of a God, any messengers, any revelation, and religion, then surely this would all be taken into account. But for this person, if he just had the logic to think that there must be something that created him and everything around him, not in this creation, then I feel that would be enough to take him to heaven, but Allah knows best.

Darth Ultor
04-07-2010, 04:33 AM
I think it was Ibrahim who first realized who the source of all creation was.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.