/* */

PDA

View Full Version : bird feathers

Ummu Sufyaan
01-25-2010, 03:03 AM
:sl:
i like collecting bird feathers :hiding: but someone pointed out to me that they could be a health risk as they could potentially be carrying some sort of disease/condition/virus with them that i could contract? is that likely?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
01-25-2010, 09:17 AM
im not sure if you'd get diseases allahu alem someone more knowledgeable in that field can answer inshallah

جوري
01-27-2010, 04:34 AM
depends indeed.. ever heard of Q fever? but it isn't really the feathers per se just being around farm animals and is contracted from inhalation of particles .. of course they cause severe allergies to others.. but you know you can just wash them and remove the allergens..

I sleep on a feather bed and my comforter is of feathers too, so how about you invest in a feather bed, you might not want to collect feathers after that?

very cushy.. get read on them before purchase.. don't buy duck feather, just down (Hungarian) and cured ..

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

Alpha Dude
01-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Wa alaykum salam,

Boil them?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Life_Is_Short
01-27-2010, 01:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Wa alaykum salam,

Boil them?
Feathers are made of protein (keratin) and therefore boiling is not a good idea because it would lead to denaturation.

Have you been collecting them from your back yard?

Spray them with antibacterial hand sanitizing spray. This should work because bird feathers commonly carry Salmonella (usually found in poultry). The salmonella bacteria attacks the stomach and intestines.

Why don't you buy them instead? This is better than risking your health.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Why don't you buy them instead? This is better than risking your health.
i didnt know you could...where can you get them from?
Spray them with antibacterial hand sanitizing spray.
dumb question, but where can you buy that from. it doesn't sound like something you'd find at the local supermarket.

جوري
01-28-2010, 01:19 PM
spray them with this:

A-Believer-25
01-31-2010, 11:21 PM
Sometimes I would collect the feathers that our parakeets drop there funny little birds. lol

Life_Is_Short
01-31-2010, 11:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed

i didnt know you could...where can you get them from?
:wa:

Sorry but i don't think you can buy them individually. imsad

format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
dumb question, but where can you buy that from. it doesn't sound like something you'd find at the local supermarket.
This you can get at boots or superdrugs.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.