/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Computer problems

Muslim Woman
02-07-2010, 08:06 AM
:sl:

Computer gives troubles thrrough out the whole yr :(

it's better to have a thread , so that I / we don't have to start a new thread on each problem.

current problem > when I try to check gmails through Outlook Express , a notice comes : site certificate could not be varified . Do u want to continue ? How to stop this notice ? Thanks in advance .

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tango92
02-07-2010, 08:42 AM
im not sure, you could try and add an exception for gmail into your outlook security settings

Muslim Woman
02-07-2010, 08:51 AM

thanks for the suggestion. I changed the option from restricted site zones from Internet zone. I have to check next time if it works. Even if it does not work , thanks for trying to help .

Muslim Woman
02-07-2010, 03:02 PM

It worked , thanks a lot br.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
02-07-2010, 03:15 PM
any more problems sister ?

Muslim Woman
02-07-2010, 03:39 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
any more problems sister ?

yes. When I start computer , it shows back date ( year 2005 ) . Before sending mail , I have to adjust time and date each time :(

Cabdullahi
02-07-2010, 05:10 PM
^ i think that would be a bit difficult on the sister erm if you buy the battery online and take your computer and the battery to any pc shop they'll replace it they might even do it free of charge it only takes 5 minutes to do.

cat eyes
02-07-2010, 05:21 PM
did you buy the computer yourself or is it second hand computer? what i usually do is i restart the computer again when it starts acting cranky it seems to work pretty good then after i do that. sometimes it happens when u never shut down your computer correctly

Life_Is_Short
02-07-2010, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

yes. When I start computer , it shows back date ( year 2005 ) . Before sending mail , I have to adjust time and date each time :(
*Deleted*

I don't know anything about computers.

AabiruSabeel
02-07-2010, 05:57 PM
current problem > when I try to check gmails through Outlook Express , a notice comes : site certificate could not be varified . Do u want to continue ? How to stop this notice ? Thanks in advance .
When I start computer , it shows back date ( year 2005 ) . Before sending mail , I have to adjust time and date each time :(
It seems both the problems are related. In fact, the second one is causing the first. When the date is not properly set, Outlook or any other secure site fails to recognize the security certificate. It either shows as expired or invalid.

The solution for this problem is to change the CMOS battery, as suggested by br. zÂk. You can google "How to replace the CMOS battery" for detailed procedure.

Muslim Woman
02-08-2010, 01:24 AM
:wa:

format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel

... When the date is not properly set, Outlook or any other secure site fails to recognize the security certificate. It either shows as expired or invalid.
hmmm that's the reason I did not get the notice when I first fixed the date and then checked mail. Today , when I try to check mail first , I get the notice again :(

Abdullahii : take your computer and the battery to any pc shop they'll replace it they might even do it free of charge it only takes 5 minutes to do.

Ok , I have to be a nagging wife now and will make life miserable for my husband till he does something about it. Either do it by himself or take pc to any shop.

cat eyes : ...is it second hand computer?

My computer is 6 years old. Any suggestion how to keep him/her more active ?

Muslim Woman
02-15-2010, 04:10 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
Replace the CMOS battery? :ermm:

my husband bought the battery but does n't know how to replace it . Where is that place / which part to open to replace it ?

Dagless
02-16-2010, 06:17 PM

my husband bought the battery but does n't know how to replace it . Where is that place / which part to open to replace it ?
It is on the motherboard when you open the pc casing (usually right near the bottom). There is only one battery on the whole board so you can't put it in the wrong place (just be sure to put it the right way around, and turn off the mains before you start poking around in there with a screwdriver :p).

Asiyaah
02-16-2010, 06:31 PM
That's not an unusual issue, you want to click view certificate then check off 'always trust.'

Life_Is_Short
02-22-2010, 09:35 PM
How can i extend my laptop's battery life?

S<Chowdhury
02-22-2010, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short

1. Defrag regularly - The faster your hard drive does its work – less demand you are going to put on the hard drive and your battery. Make your hard drive as efficient as possible by defragging it regularly. (but not while it’s on battery of course!) Mac OSX is better built to handle fragmentation so it may not be very applicable for Apple systems.

2. Dim your screen – Most laptops come with the ability to dim your laptop screen. Some even come with ways to modify CPU and cooling performance. Cut them down to the lowest level you can tolerate to squeeze out some extra battery juice.

3. Cut down on programs running in the background. Itunes, Desktop Search, etc. All these add to the CPU load and cut down battery life. Shut down everything that isn’t crucial when you’re on battery.

4. Cut down external devices – USB devices (including your mouse) & WiFi drain down your laptop battery. Remove or shut them down when not in use. It goes without saying that charging other devices (like your iPod) with your laptop when on battery is a surefire way of quickly wiping out the charge on your laptop battery.

5. Add more RAM - This will allow you to process more with the memory your laptop has, rather than relying on virtual memory. Virtual memory results in hard drive use, and is much less power efficient. Note that adding more RAM will consume more energy, so this is most applicable if you do need to run memory intensive programs which actually require heavy usage of virtual memory.

6. Run off a hard drive rather than CD/DVD - As power consuming as hard drives are, CD and DVD drives are worse. Even having one in the drive can be power consuming. They spin, taking power, even when they?re not actively being used. Wherever possible, try to run on virtual drives using programs like Alcohol 120% rather than optical ones.

7. Keep the battery contacts clean: Clean your battery’s metal contacts every couple of months with a cloth moistened with rubbing alcohol. This keeps the transfer of power from your battery more efficient.

8. Take care of your battery – Exercise the Battery. Do not leave a charged battery dormant for long periods of time. Once charged, you should at least use the battery at least once every two to three weeks. Also, do not let a Li-On battery completely discharge. (Discharing is only for older batteries with memory effects)

9. Hibernate not standby – Although placing a laptop in standby mode saves some power and you can instantly resume where you left off, it doesn’t save anywhere as much power as the hibernate function does. Hibernating a PC will actually save your PC’s state as it is, and completely shut itself down.

10. Keep operating temperature down - Your laptop operates more efficiently when it’s cooler. Clean out your air vents with a cloth or keyboard cleaner, or refer to some extra tips by LapTopMag.com.

11. Set up and optimize your power options – Go to ‘Power Options’ in your windows control panel and set it up so that power usage is optimized (Select the ‘max battery’ for maximum effect).

12. Don’t multitask – Do one thing at a time when you’re on battery. Rather than working on a spreadsheet, letting your email client run in the background and listening to your latest set of MP3’s, set your mind to one thing only. If you don’t you’ll only drain out your batteries before anything gets completed!

13. Go easy on the PC demands – The more you demand from your PC. Passive activities like email and word processing consume much less power than gaming or playing a DVD. If you’ve got a single battery charge – pick your priorities wisely.

14. Get yourself a more efficient laptop - Laptops are getting more and more efficient in nature to the point where some manufacturers are talking about all day long batteries. Picking up a newer more efficient laptop to replace an aging one is usually a quick fix.

15. Prevent the Memory Effect - If you’re using a very old laptop, you’ll want to prevent the ‘memory effect’ – Keep the battery healthy by fully charging and then fully discharging it at least once every two to three weeks. Exceptions to the rule are Li-Ion batteries (which most laptops have) which do not suffer from the memory effect.

Turn off the autosave function. MS-Word’s and Excel’s autosave functions are great but because they keep saving regular intervals, they work your hard driver harder than it may have to. If you plan to do this, you may want to turn it back on as the battery runs low. While it saves battery life in the beginning, you will want to make sure your work is saved when your battery dies

Lower the graphics use. You can do this by changing the screen resolution and shutting off fancy graphic drivers. Graphics cards (video cards) use as much or more power today as hard disks

Cabdullahi
02-22-2010, 09:44 PM
i can help you with that...its simple,

one way of doing it is emptying the charge on the battery fully and then charging it fully that way you program the battery cells to function better and be more efficient...however some battery experts say you dont need to discharge completely to start charging fully they say that at about 30% of charge left you should charge fully.

I would personally say that if you discharge your battery completely and only then you start charging fully if you keep up with this routine you can program your battery to hold more charge.

Life_Is_Short
02-22-2010, 09:52 PM
When it was new, it used to run for a long time but now after having been fully charged it only runs for 15 mins. It's sony vaio vgn-fe21b. How long will it run for if i attempt the above?

Jazak'Allah Khair.

Cabdullahi
02-22-2010, 10:13 PM
sister i think the battery is getting to its end but maybe if you reprogram it that might help

things to do

1. if it has any charge now discharge it until its over finish finito!

2. now that its fully discharged charge it until it becomes full

3. repeat this process and you should see some improvements inshAllah

Dagless
02-22-2010, 10:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
I would personally say that if you discharge your battery completely and only then you start charging fully if you keep up with this routine you can program your battery to hold more charge.
That used to be the case with the older batteries but its really bad for li-ion batteries. If you continually discharge them completely they start to fail quickly.
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm has some good info.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-33.htm
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

When it was new, it used to run for a long time but now after having been fully charged it only runs for 15 mins. It's sony vaio vgn-fe21b. How long will it run for if i attempt the above?

Jazak'Allah Khair.
It's time for a new battery. When you get the new one, only use it when you need it. If you're plugged into a charger all day then remove the battery. Only put the battery in the laptop when you need to move away from the charger. You can usually remove and replace the battery with the laptop on mains power (saves you having to turn the laptop off and on again).

Cabdullahi
02-22-2010, 10:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
That used to be the case with the older batteries but its really bad for li-ion batteries. If you continually discharge them completely they start to fail quickly.
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm has some good info.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-33.htm
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
''however some battery experts say you dont need to discharge completely to start charging fully they say that at about 30% of charge left you should charge fully.''

^ you ignored this bit of my post which gave the other side of the argument.

Cabdullahi
02-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Nope, I read it, but was only replying to your personal opinion :p
Oki doki...........

Life_Is_Short
02-22-2010, 10:50 PM
If i keep it plugged in (which i do) will the battery still die out as in stop functioning one day? The new one costs £77.

Cabdullahi
02-22-2010, 10:58 PM
i would say keeping it on ac power this wont damage ur lithium battery because these batteries are quite advanced compared to the good old batteries in the past but i would suggest that you do processes 1 to 3 twice monthly just to keep those cells programmed well.

Dagless
02-22-2010, 11:18 PM
If i keep it plugged in (which i do) will the battery still die out as in stop functioning one day? The new one costs £77.
All batteries eventually die out. If you are on a/c power then why not remove it? It takes 2 seconds and it will definitely last longer. This will be due to 1) not being constantly topped up by a/c power and 2) not being constantly exposed to heat - which can get quite high when doing some tasks.

Muslim Woman
03-16-2010, 01:17 AM

got this mail today about a florida woman and her computer , browse and found the link . Don't know if this is a true story or not.

And you thought YOU had computer problems!!!

TECH SUPPORT 'Hello, technical support, how can I help you?'

LADY: 'Last night my computer started making a lot of hissing noise at me so I shut it down. This morning when I turned it on the computer started hissing and cracking, then started smoking and a bad smell, then nothing.'

SUPPORT: 'I will have a technician come over first thing this morning, just leave the computer just like it is, so they can find the problem and fix it, or change it out with another computer. Give me your address; phone number and the technician will be there just as soon as they can'

When the technician got there, the lady showed the technician where the computer was, told him what happened to it and this is what the technician found wrong.
Take a look at the pictures...!

The technician told her it must have been after the mouse! The woman didn't think it was very funny at all.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/snake-in-computer.shtml

Life_Is_Short
03-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Why didn't the snake get electrocuted? :hmm:

islamirama
03-16-2010, 03:17 AM

got this mail today about a florida woman and her computer , browse and found the link . Don't know if this is a true story or not.

And you thought YOU had computer problems!!!

TECH SUPPORT 'Hello, technical support, how can I help you?'

LADY: 'Last night my computer started making a lot of hissing noise at me so I shut it down. This morning when I turned it on the computer started hissing and cracking, then started smoking and a bad smell, then nothing.'

SUPPORT: 'I will have a technician come over first thing this morning, just leave the computer just like it is, so they can find the problem and fix it, or change it out with another computer. Give me your address; phone number and the technician will be there just as soon as they can'

When the technician got there, the lady showed the technician where the computer was, told him what happened to it and this is what the technician found wrong.
Take a look at the pictures...!

The technician told her it must have been after the mouse! The woman didn't think it was very funny at all.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/snake-in-computer.shtml
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/pcsnake.asp

Muslim Woman
03-29-2010, 01:23 AM

when I try to open a file in MS word, it does not respond . But I can browse or write e-mail without any problem. What's wrong with MS words ???

SMA89
03-29-2010, 01:46 AM
Press ALT+F4

SMA89
03-29-2010, 01:48 AM

when I try to open a file in MS word, it does not respond . But I can browse or write e-mail without any problem. What's wrong with MS words ???
hmmm maybe you should re-install Microsoft Office. Are you using 2003 or 2007?

or try this: Dont open the file directly.. Open the MS word first and then click File>Open>Open the File

islamirama
03-29-2010, 01:49 AM

Try checking your task manager to see if it is already running, if so than end it and relaunch word. Rebooting also helps if you had ur pc on forever.

Muslim Woman
05-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Salaam/Peace

when try to open computer , a message comes : Attn: out of range
H:60.0 KHz V: 75.0 KHz

I need to re-start . It does not come always , yesterday once , today twice :(

Dagless
05-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Salaam/Peace

when try to open computer , a message comes : Attn: out of range
H:60.0 KHz V: 75.0 KHz

I need to re-start . It does not come always , yesterday once , today twice :(
You are using a resolution your monitor does not support.

Muslim Woman
05-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Salaam/Peace

how to fix resolution ??

Dagless
05-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Salaam/Peace

how to fix resolution ??
Find out the native resolution of your monitor (I assume its an lcd), and then if you use windows right click on desktop and then properties. Go to the settings tab and there you will find the resolution settings.

Muslim Woman
05-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Salaam/Peace

Go to the settings tab and there you will find the resolution settings.
It's not LCD. Resolution settings is 1024 by 768 pixels. Arrow is indicating that its the highest status. I tried to less it , then it show 800 by 600 pixels. So , should I changed the settings ?

Dagless
05-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Salaam/Peace

It's not LCD. Resolution settings is 1024 by 768 pixels. Arrow is indicating that its the highest status. I tried to less it , then it show 800 by 600 pixels. So , should I changed the settings ?
Hmm 1024x768 is not particularly high so should be fine. You can try 800x600 if you keep getting the message but it won't be very nice to use. How about the refresh rate in Hz?

Muslim Woman
05-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Salaam

. How about the refresh rate in Hz?
what's the meaning ? How to know ?

Dagless
05-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Salaam

what's the meaning ? How to know ?
I think its under "advanced" in that same tab.

Muslim Woman
06-01-2010, 05:47 AM
Salaam/Peace

not receiving the message anymore .

I did not download anything this week but still free space in C drive reduced from 7 % to 2 % only . I am getting low space warning :( , deleted many files but no use :(

I use real audio player . Can I delete Realtek AC 97 audio ( 68 MB ) ?

marwen
06-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Salaam/Peace

I use real audio player . Can I delete Realtek AC 97 audio ( 68 MB ) ?
No ! No ! don't ! :skeleton:

Realtek is the driver of your sound system, if you delete it => No sound in your PC.
It has nothing to do with Realplayer. You can delete RealPlayer but NOT RealTek.

to reduce the disk space, you can delete temporary (internet) files, cookies, unnecessary files. Anyway, when you click on the "low space message", it will give you the list of temporary (not needed) files you can delete. Then you can delete some software YOU INSTALLED and YOU DON'T NEED.

If after all that the message is still coming, just ignore it. And if you have another disk partition, try to use it.

Muslim Woman
06-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Salaam/Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
No ! No ! don't ! :skeleton:

Realtek is the driver of your sound system, if you delete it => No sound in your PC.

thanks a lot :)

if you have another disk partition, try to use it.
I have D , E , G , G drives , they have more 70 % free spaces. Don't know why everything stored in C drive :(

Muslim Woman
06-02-2010, 01:12 AM
Salaam/Peace

what about delete Winzip and Presto Max Reader 4.5 LE

I don't use these programmes.

marwen
06-02-2010, 01:38 AM
what about delete Winzip and Presto Max Reader 4.5 LE
I don't use these programmes.
I don't really know what's the exact use of Max Reader, but if you never used it, you may delete it.
I think Winzip is useful to open compressed files that you may recieve by internet and it helps reduce the size of files by compressing them (may be you're using it without you know). I think you'll want to keep it, unless your disk is critically full.
I have D , E , G , G drives , they have more 70 % free spaces. Don't know why everything stored in C drive :(
That's because when installing a software, if you don't specify the destination of the installation, it will automatically put it in "C:\" ("C:\Program files\Install_directory").
So when installing a new software, you may want to customise the destination install folder in another partition (drive) , for example : "D:\My_Folder".
(Now you can remove some programs and reinstall them in other partitions)
You can also move your files (not programs) like images or videos, from C:\ to other partitions. That will keep the C:\ partition "relaxed" ;D.
hope it helps.

Muslim Woman
06-05-2010, 03:49 AM
Salaam/Peace

Can I delete CNET tech tracker , Registry Wizard, Microsoft Visual C ? I don't use these .

'Abd Al-Maajid
06-05-2010, 04:14 AM
^ Yes you can.

'Abd Al-Maajid
06-05-2010, 04:21 AM
I have a question and I am looking forward to find an answer here.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R which is powered by Intel i3 processor which is clocked at 2.13 GHz and I have an old desktop which is powered by Intel Pentium 4 which is clocked at 3.06 GHz. Now the question which comes to my mind all the time is, "Isn't my desktop is faster than my laptop? And if it is, why did I get a slow processor on laptop even though I bought it recently. On the contrary if i3 is faster than Pentium 4, on what basis?"

Please anyone answer.

Thanks in advance.

Muslim Woman
06-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Salaam/Peace

can I delete Microsoft Office professional Edition 2003 , Power DVD , Windows Internet Explorer 8 ?

Dagless
06-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Salaam/Peace

can I delete Microsoft Office professional Edition 2003 , Power DVD , Windows Internet Explorer 8 ?
I would only uninstall Power DVD. Office is usually a very commonly used program, and I don't think you can completely remove Internet Explorer anyway so the most it will do is downgrade.
How big is your c:\ drive? How much is free? What have you installed since last time you posted? Your space seems to go very quickly.

Muslim Woman
06-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Salaam/Peace

C drive has 7.81 GB . Now it has only 2 % space.

I recently downloaded My Dropbox . Then I moved it to D drive.

Dagless
06-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Salaam/Peace

C drive has 7.81 GB . Now it has only 2 % space.

I recently downloaded My Dropbox . Then I moved it to D drive.
7.81GB is kinda low. Is this how you've partitioned it or is the physical drive that size? Have you considered buying a new hard drive? I don't think they are very expensive. Here in the UK 1TB (1000GB) is about £50. You don't need that much, even 250GB should enough for you.

Muslim Woman
06-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Salaam/Peace

7.81GB is kinda low. Is this how you've partitioned it or is the physical drive that size? .
D drive has 9.76 GB
E has 9.76 GB
F has 5.85 GB
G has 5.11 GB

I am planning to upgrade computer . InshaAllah it will help me to get more speed on net ?

Dagless
06-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Salaam/Peace

D drive has 9.76 GB
E has 9.76 GB
F has 5.85 GB
G has 5.11 GB

I am planning to upgrade computer . InshaAllah it will help me to get more speed on net ?
Next time you format, make c:\ 30GB and d:\ whatever is left. Unless there is a good reason you have so many partitions. Or just make it all into c:\
Net speed is down to your broadband package so upgrading the pc won't make much, if any, difference.

Muslim Woman
06-23-2010, 05:37 AM
Salaam/Peace

how can I install free software for my Epson Stylus TX110 multi function Printer ? Thanks in advance.

zakirs
06-23-2010, 06:05 AM
, "Isn't my desktop is faster than my laptop? And if it is, why did I get a slow processor on laptop even though I bought it recently. On the contrary if i3 is faster than Pentium 4, on what basis?"
Well you i3 processor has 2 cores so your effective speed is 2.13 + 2.13 = 4.16 and It is not only grater than 3 GHz but since it has two cores it can do better multi-tasking (i.e the two core processors act like a team and share work to make it faster than a single processor of 4 Ghz)

zakirs
06-23-2010, 06:10 AM
waleikum salam

how can I install free software for my Epson Stylus TX110 multi function Printer ? Thanks in advance.
Use this link to download drivers/photo software for your printer. On top right corner , click the Drivers&support bar and select the operating system ( XP i assume )

http://www.epson.com.ph/epson_philip...n_Stylus_TX110

Muslim Woman
06-24-2010, 05:14 AM
Salaam

1. I always get this mesaage : Programme is not responding . How to avoid this ?

2. I have the screen shot of Add/ remove programme . But dont know how to copy and paste here . I need to know what elses can I remove such as Microsoft Framework Feature Pact etc.

'Abd Al-Maajid
06-24-2010, 10:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zakirs
Well you i3 processor has 2 cores so your effective speed is 2.13 + 2.13 = 4.16 and It is not only grater than 3 GHz but since it has two cores it can do better multi-tasking (i.e the two core processors act like a team and share work to make it faster than a single processor of 4 Ghz)
Jazakallah bro. So that means the processor is manufactured using 45 nm technology CMOS fab. technology?

Muslim Woman
06-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Salaam bro zakirs;

thanks a lot for the link.

Muslim Woman
11-12-2011, 01:42 PM

whenever I try to open any site , I get this notice : do u want to view only webpage content that was delivered securely ? :heated:

marwen
11-12-2011, 09:25 PM
You are using Internet Explorer, right ?

Go to Tools --> Internet Options --> Security Tab. Here select "Internet".

Now select "Custom Level" button.

Here go to Miscellaneous --> display mixed content and select "Enable" option as shown in the below screen shot.

With this done, you will not be prompted anymore.

Dagless
11-12-2011, 09:41 PM
7.81GB is kinda low. Is this how you've partitioned it or is the physical drive that size? Have you considered buying a new hard drive? I don't think they are very expensive. Here in the UK 1TB (1000GB) is about £50. You don't need that much, even 250GB should enough for you.
I was just reading through the old comments and how times have changed. It went down to £60 for about 2TB recently, but since the floods in Thailand hard drive prices have rocketed to like £150 for 2TB. Hope everyone's ok for storage ;)

Muslim Woman
11-13-2011, 01:09 AM

You are using Internet Explorer, right ?

Muslim Woman
11-14-2011, 02:05 AM

I think I followed the instruction correctly , still getting notice :(

anything else I can do ?

marwen
11-14-2011, 08:24 AM
In this Dialog Box make sure you select "Internet" before you proceed (not Local Intranet, the picture was not correct :hiding:)

(sorry mine is french +o()

Can you try this again and see if it works.

Ramadhan
11-14-2011, 12:57 PM
I think I followed the instruction correctly , still getting notice

anything else I can do ?
Use Mozilla Firefox instead. It's faster, more simple, and more secure than IE.

Haya emaan
11-14-2011, 01:44 PM
^for me Firefox works very slowly and takes too much time to open.. any solution?

Ramadhan
11-14-2011, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslima haya
^for me Firefox works very slowly and takes too much time to open.. any solution?
That's very unusual.
Maybe you can uninstall your firefox, then download and install the latest version (firefox 8): http://download.cnet.com/mozilla-firefox/?tag=mncol;3

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-14-2011, 03:06 PM
You might want to try this after installing the latest version.
http://www.speedupfirefox.com/

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-14-2011, 04:20 PM
What is the system configuration? Processor speed and RAM?
No personal questions, please. To a computer it's like asking for it's height, weight and measurements. ;D

Dagless
11-14-2011, 04:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
No personal questions, please. To a computer it's like asking for it's height, weight and measurements. ;D
Stop the exploitation!! This could be your cpu...

btw try Chrome.

MartyrX
11-14-2011, 05:11 PM
I use Chrome at home, and Firefox at work. Personally I've seen a notable speed difference between the two. I'd much rather use Chrome over Firefox.

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Chrome may be fast but firefox is much stable, i feel. Chrome doesn't even support RSS feeds out of the box.

Dagless
11-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Chrome may be fast but firefox is much stable, i feel. Chrome doesn't even support RSS feeds out of the box.
Hmm I've found the opposite. Chrome is lighter, faster, more stable, and less hassle since it updates itself. I guess everyone has their own preference, so trying each one is the only way to know for sure.

islamica
11-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Chrome is from google, which means you can bet everything you are searchiing is being added to your profile they have built of you. Which is why it's better to not have gmail or use chrome or even google if possible. Other email servers like yahoo allow the FBI to look in your inbox for a certain fee but they also delete back up from servers after some time. With google, everything stays in their servers forever. If you are concerned about privacy then open source software, like firefox, is the bet way to go.

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-14-2011, 05:38 PM
I use Chrome and I left Firefox for everyone else in my home. Chrome is fast and lighter but it's not stable as Firefox is on my Ubuntu machine. Also it doesn't update automatically on my system.

format_quote Originally Posted by islamica
Chrome is from google, which means you can bet everything you are searchiing is being added to your profile they have built of you. Which is why it's better to not have gmail or use chrome or even google if possible. Other email servers like yahoo allow the FBI to look in your inbox for a certain fee but they also delete back up from servers after some time. With google, everything stays in their servers forever. If you are concerned about privacy then open source software, like firefox, is the bet way to go.
Stop being paranoid! :D

I've got nothing to hide from Google or FBI, lol
Let them know that i've subscribed to maniac muslim, go comics (one calvin and hobbes comic a day), some job sites, and i hardly receive emails from me contacts, have attended some conferences, and have a paypal account etc etc, Who cares!

MartyrX
11-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Everything you do is being tracked, unless you are using multiple proxies and then it's possible to be tracked.

islamica
11-14-2011, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JeffX
Everything you do is being tracked, unless you are using multiple proxies and then it's possible to be tracked.
True, there is no absolute privacy online. But still, some privacy is better than none. Would you rather have blinds on your windows so others can't see in your house or have nothing and say "just don't go in front of the windows"

Haya emaan
11-15-2011, 12:05 PM
What is the system configuration? Processor speed and RAM?
how am i going to find these..:hmm:??

i m using chrome at the moment and m ok with it but my bros says Firefox is better but mine one isn't.. i will try installing firefox 8..

(i also have IE but that is worst working)

Haya emaan
11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
found this

Attachment 4449

Ramadhan
11-15-2011, 12:40 PM
i m using chrome at the moment and m ok with it but my bros says Firefox is better but mine one isn't.. i will try installing firefox 8..
It is important that you uninstall your current firefox. It might have unnecessary add ons which slow it down. Restart your computer before you downloading/installing the new firefox.
If you install the new firefox without uninstalling the old one first, the new one will only import everything you have on your current one, including all the add ons.

AabiruSabeel
11-15-2011, 04:12 PM
^ I don't think Intel Atom processors come with more speed. 2.13 GHz is the max I think.

Maybe its better to switch to a laptop or desktop instead of netbook.

Dagless
11-15-2011, 04:58 PM
found this

Attachment 4449
What do you use your netbook for? If it's just surfing the net, you could try Lubuntu; it's really fast on lower powered machines (far lower than yours, so it should fly).
Or if you want Windows I guess try a clean install, since if you've never done that before there will probably be a lot of bloatware from when you bought it.
(and add another gig of ram if it's Windows 7 and you feel particularly adventurous).

Haya emaan
11-15-2011, 05:29 PM
What do you use your netbook for? If it's just surfing the net, you could try Lubuntu; it's really fast on lower powered machines (far lower than yours, so it should fly).
no its not just net surfing.. need it for my studies and some other things.. have a desktop at home but its not personal so feel comfortable with this..
something is better than nothing...

Or if you want Windows I guess try a clean install, since if you've never done that before there will probably be a lot of bloatware from when you bought it.
(and add another gig of ram if it's Windows 7 and you feel particularly adventurous).

my system has become really very very slow..
i got the windows 7 with it when i bought it last year.. now i dont think i could get the original window so i dont want to lose this one..

Muslim Woman
11-16-2011, 03:39 PM

Can you try this again and see if it works.

no luck :(

marwen
11-16-2011, 04:03 PM
:( sorry to hear that, my sister. I can't think of another solution at the moment.

May be if you make a fresh reinstall of IE it resolves the problem.

Using another browser is also a good idea as brothers mentioned above.

Tilmeez
11-16-2011, 07:38 PM
i got the windows 7 with it when i bought it last year.. now i dont think i could get the original window so i dont want to lose this one..
Clear your temporary files and prefetch files.

> WinKey + R
> Type %temp% press Enter
> Ctrl + A
> Shift + Delete

You are done with temporary files. It may resist deleting some files, ignore them and try deleting all other files.

Same goes for Prefetch files just replace point 2 with following:
> Type prefetch press Enter

Abz2000
11-17-2011, 12:55 AM
good tip on the temp folder brother tilmeez,
hope i don't arouse bad feelings from a supermod for the second part though!
because the prefetch folder is apparently useful to load pages that you use most as quickly as possible.
some claimed performance tests have been run to check this and it apparently shows slower load times after deleting prefetch
but maybe if things are badly corrupted and the prefetch log is messed up - it can probably be a good idea to delete.

some sites and magazines say it's a good thing but others have said it's a no-no

XP systems have a Prefetch directory underneath the windows root directory, full of .pf files — these are lists of pages to load. The file names are generated from hashing the EXE to load — whenever you load the EXE, we hash, see if there’s a matching(exename)-(hash).pf file in the prefetch directory, and if so we load those pages. (If it doesn’t exist, we track what pages it loads, create that file, and pick a handful of them to save to it.) So, first off, it is a bad idea to periodically clean out that folder as some tech sites suggest. For one thing, XP will just re-create that data anyways; secondly, it trims the files anyways if there’s ever more than 128 of them so that it doesn’t needlessly consume space.
So not only is deleting the directory totally unnecessary, but you’re also putting a temporary dent in your PC’s performance.

another great benefit of prefetch is that XP uses .pf files to create and update the layout.ini file. XP’s disk defragmenter then uses layout.ini to optimize the placing of certain boot and application files on the outside of your hard disk. It does this each time you run disk defragmenter manually and also automatically in the background no less often than every third day. This causes your computer to boot up and load applications faster.

a good way of doing it if you need to delete prefetch is:

You can delete it if you made big changes otherwise the layout.ini will have a lot of old data.1. Delete all the files in the folder2. Turn on the Task Schedule service to automatic and start it if it isn’t already.3. Open a cmd window and type or paste this:Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks4. The folder will be rebuilt with the current apps and drivers.Also:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager \ Memory Management \ PrefetchParametersdword value = EnablePrefetcher0 = Disable,
1 = App launch prefetch
2 = Boot Prefetch
3 = Both (recommended)My recommendation for the prefetcher is based on the amount of RAM that you have:128MB – Disabled (reg value 0)
256MB – Boot only (reg value 1)
512MB or more – Both (reg value 3)

this is all based on research of others though as i have not run any tests myself,
will be happy to edit if corrected,
peace

Abz2000
11-17-2011, 01:29 AM
check the bottom of your netbook to ensure it has the product key sticker and all the 25 characters are still clearly visible, if so - i would advise you to put a piece of sellotape over it in order to keep it laminated.

if your key is there, you can reinstall windows 7 using your original product key, i can send you a disk (free) if you require one.

however if you're not too familiar with re-installing - the best option to check for is a recovery partition,
click on
"start" icon (bottom left)
"all programs" bottom left of pop up.
folder with the name of manufacturer on it (acer/vaio/dell) etc.
see if it has a "recovery" folder,
back up all documents and pics etc - run the clean install.

if your pc has a clean install of windows and still doesn't like the weight of the o.s,
you can slim it down,

your windows 7 netbook has an ssd:
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/wind...ed-tweaks.html

(xp only)
i found this to be quite a useful guide for turning genuine xp into a customized "performance edition" if your pc can do with a slimmed down edition:

http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=4958

vista:
http://www.vlite.net/

http://www.mydigitallife.info/tips-to-slim-down-vista/

Tilmeez
11-17-2011, 06:38 AM
Nice Research abz2000.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
hope i don't arouse bad feelings from a supermod for the second part though!
No way for bad feelings akhee, partially because I never went too deep, just knew often prefetch keeps pf files for EXEs we have removed ages ago. And partially because they are nice to members only and very rough to staff :(

Abz2000
11-17-2011, 04:48 PM
phew :phew at least i didn't get in trouble (only joking) :)
dunno - this is third hand knowledge but apparently it only keeps 128 files,
though it seems as if it's a good idea to clean it at least once in a blue moon and then rebuild

Dagless
11-17-2011, 05:46 PM
You can delete it if you made big changes otherwise the layout.ini will have a lot of old data.1. Delete all the files in the folder2. Turn on the Task Schedule service to automatic and start it if it isn’t already.3. Open a cmd window and type or paste this:Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks4. The folder will be rebuilt with the current apps and drivers.Also:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager \ Memory Management \ PrefetchParametersdword value = EnablePrefetcher0 = Disable,
1 = App launch prefetch
2 = Boot Prefetch
3 = Both (recommended)My recommendation for the prefetcher is based on the amount of RAM that you have:128MB – Disabled (reg value 0)
256MB – Boot only (reg value 1)
512MB or more – Both (reg value 3)

this is all based on research of others though as i have not run any tests myself,
will be happy to edit if corrected,
peace
Btw if you have an ssd you should disable prefetch and superfetch because it decreases the life of your drive and is unnecessary. I also disable it on normal installs; I'm willing to take a small performance hit as long as I don't have to listen to that awful random paging of the hard drive it does every 5 mins ;)

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-24-2011, 04:25 PM
I bought a new hard disk, Seagate 1 TB some months back. it's pretty new, with about 150 days of power on time. and for about a week now it's started making sounds, screeching and grinding sounds. It's worrisome to me as i have collected huge data overtime... I tried defragmenting the drive and performed filesystem check. What else i can do...? :exhausted

The power-on hours for my HD is 24x7 as opposed to barracuda's usage profile 8x5.

I am sure it started since i used virtualbox and created huge files (about 8GB fixed-sized images), that might be the reason for it? the head had to travel a long distance to read the scattered file? is that even possible?

I have another hard disk Maxtor 80 GB, old one with about 2.4 years of power on time and it's working smoothly with one bad sector. :p please advice.

Dagless
11-24-2011, 05:01 PM
I bought a new hard disk, Seagate 1 TB some months back. it's pretty new, with about 150 days of power on time. and for about a week now it's started making sounds, screeching and grinding sounds. It's worrisome to me as i have collected huge data overtime... I tried defragmenting the drive and performed filesystem check. What else i can do...? :exhausted
Check the SMART status of it, and back everything up. It might be about to die.
I hate Seagate btw. I was forced to buy one recently after WD prices shot up to triple what they were, but Seagate had not then gone up.

I am sure it started since i used virtualbox and created huge files (about 8GB fixed-sized images), that might be the reason for it? the head had to travel a long distance to read the scattered file? is that even possible?
I would say no because that is their purpose. Company servers thrash such drives 24/7.

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Check the SMART status of it, and back everything up. It might be about to die.
Oops! I forgot to mention SMART status, SMART status says, it's healthy. but the Airflow temperature test failed, 43 degrees Celsius

Abz2000
11-25-2011, 05:45 AM
what did you use for smart monitor? and have you tried hard disk sentinel?
you can also run a complete repair with hdat2 and if it's not too bad - it should isolate all those bad sectors and not show up second time.
it's all on hiren's boot cd v15

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

i've also cushioned mine with sponge mat and put twin 12v fans from a broken xbox and an old cut 12v router adapter on top of it to ensure it doesn't burn out.
you could possibly pull one out of an old desktop and tape it to blow air outwards, and either hook it to your internal 12v pins or an external adapter.

Abz2000
11-25-2011, 09:06 AM
lookee here what i made for water cooling with ice!

i used a low power fish tank pump and a metal bottle, some copper sheet and plastic pipe and heat resistant sealant.
throw the ice pack into the bottle, draw that to the pipe going to the bottom of the green cpu bottle with the bottom cut out and joined to the copper with a rubber phone case as a washer, the warm water rises and comes out of the pipe near the top,
into the graphics cooler box, and back into the ice packed water bottle.
can also add another one for the hdd but wanted to keep it simple.
a bit impractical but i just wanted to make it with no heatsink or fans involved.
totally silent and super cool - and i think it can take an e8400 at 4ghz easily

the crude radiator can be added on the way back to the ice, but will need more twists.

Dagless
11-25-2011, 12:39 PM
a bit impractical but i just wanted to make it with no heatsink or fans involved.
totally silent and super cool - and i think it can take an e8400 at 4ghz easily
That's quite impressive - a watercooling kit you made yourself... although I think you should have just bought a waterblock (it'll look nicer than a big bottle and perform better :p). Btw why did you add the icepack? The icepack temp. cannot be maintained for even an hour with all that heat. Post up some temps (after an hr and 2 hrs)!

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-25-2011, 01:55 PM
what did you use for smart monitor?
I used Ubuntu's native disk utility to monitor SMART.

Abz2000
11-25-2011, 04:54 PM
The ice packs are in the fridge so I can always replace them if I see hazardous heat.
Will post temps when I get new desktop board (damaged mine.....with water - last one didn't work, used solder instead of heat sealant and the thin points gave way, this works, tried it on the laptop).
Just had to make it - am a bit persistent.

what did you use for smart monitor?
I used Ubuntu's native disk utility to monitor SMART.
I would try another just to be sure,
The link to the disc I sent you is bootable and works in dos - os independent,
I have managed to save a few dead hdd's with hdat2 after getting detailed spin up history and sector details with hard disk sentinel, I'm sure it can help
It also has live graphical mini Xp in it so you can have disk management and command lines etc for windows pcs

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-25-2011, 06:50 PM
^ will that boot cd work on ext4 filesystems...?

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-25-2011, 06:57 PM
HDSentinel output...
Code:
  -- General Information --

Application Information
    -----------------------
    Installed Version . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Hard Disk Sentinel 0.03
    Current Date And Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  26-11-11 00:23:45

Computer Information
    --------------------
    Computer Name . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  abdulmajid-desktop
    MAC Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  00:14:85:9A:F8:34

System Information
    ------------------
    OS Version. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Linux : 2.6.35-31-generic (#62-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 8 14:00:30 UTC 2011)
    Process ID. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5343
    Uptime. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  17522 sec (0 days, 4 hours, 52 min, 2 sec)

-- Physical Disk Information - Disk: #0: ST31000524AS --

Hard Disk Summary
    -----------------
    Hard Disk Number. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  0
    Hard Disk Device. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  /dev/sda
    Interface . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  S-ATA II
    Hard Disk Model ID. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  ST31000524AS
    Hard Disk Revision. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  JC45
    Hard Disk Serial Number . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9VPBWARK
    Hard Disk Total Size. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  953870 MB
    Current Temperature . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  43 °C (109 °F)
    Power On Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  148 days, 8 hours
    Estimated Remaining Lifetime. . . . . . . . . . .  more than 1000 days
    Health. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  #################### 100 % (Excellent)
    Performance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  #################### 100 % (Excellent)

The hard disk status is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors not found and there are no spin up or data transfer errors. 
      No actions needed.

ATA Information
    ---------------
    Hard Disk Cylinders . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1938021
    Hard Disk Heads . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  16
    Hard Disk Sectors . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  63
    Total Sectors . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1953525168
    ATA Revision. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
    Bytes Per Sector. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  512
    Buffer Size . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  0 KB
    Multiple Sectors. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  16
    Error Correction Bytes. . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
    Unformatted Capacity. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  953870 MB
    Maximum PIO Mode. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
    Maximum Multiword DMA Mode. . . . . . . . . . . .  2
    Maximum UDMA Mode . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  150 MB/s (6)
    Active UDMA Mode. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  150 MB/s (6)
    Minimum Multiword DMA Transfer Time . . . . . . .  120 ns
    Recommended Multiword DMA Transfer Time . . . . .  120 ns
    Minimum PIO Transfer Time Without IORDY . . . . .  120 ns
    Minimum PIO Transfer Time With IORDY. . . . . . .  120 ns
    ATA Control Byte. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Valid
    ATA Checksum Value. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Valid

Acoustic Management Configuration
    ---------------------------------
    Acoustic Management . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Acoustic Management . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Enabled
    Current Acoustic Level. . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Balanced performance and volume (D0h)
    Recommended Acoustic Level. . . . . . . . . . . .  Balanced performance and volume (D0h)

EIDE Properties
    ---------------
    Read Ahead Buffer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    DMA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Ultra DMA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    S.M.A.R.T.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Power Management. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Write Cache . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Host Protected Area . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Advanced Power Management . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Power Up In Standby . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    48-bit LBA Addressing . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Device Configuration Overlay. . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    IORDY Support . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Read/Write DMA Queue. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    NOP Command . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Trusted Computing . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    64-bit World Wide ID. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  005000C5E82D70C2
    Streaming . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Media Card Pass Through . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    General Purpose Logging . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Error Logging . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    CFA Feature Set . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Long Physical Sectors (1) . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Long Logical Sectors. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Write-Read-Verify . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported, Disabled
    NV Cache Feature. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    NV Cache Power Mode . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    NV Cache Size . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Free-fall Control . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Free-fall Control Sensitivity . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Nominal Media Rotation Rate . . . . . . . . . . .  7200 RPM

SSD Features
    ------------
    Data Set Management . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    TRIM Command. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Deterministic Read After TRIM . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported

S.M.A.R.T. Details
    ------------------
    Off-line Data Collection Status . . . . . . . . .  Successfully Completed
    Self Test Execution Status. . . . . . . . . . . .  Successfully Completed
    Total Time To Complete Off-line Data Collection .  600 seconds
    Execute Off-line Immediate. . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Abort/restart Off-line By Host. . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Off-line Read Scanning. . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Short Self-test . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Extended Self-test. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Conveyance Self-test. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Selective Self-Test . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Save Data Before/After Power Saving Mode. . . . .  Supported
    Enable/Disable Attribute Autosave . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Error Logging Capability. . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Short Self-test Estimated Time. . . . . . . . . .  1 minutes
    Extended Self-test Estimated Time . . . . . . . .  178 minutes
    Conveyance Self-test Estimated Time . . . . . . .  2 minutes

Security Mode
    -------------
    Security Mode . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Security Erase. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Security Erase Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  85 minutes
    Security Enhanced Erase Feature . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Security Enhanced Erase Time. . . . . . . . . . .  85 minutes
    Security Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  No
    Security Locked . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  No
    Security Frozen . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  No
    Security Counter Expired. . . . . . . . . . . . .  No
    Security Level. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  High

Serial ATA Features
    -------------------
    S-ATA Compliance. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Yes
    S-ATA I Signaling Speed (1.5 Gps) . . . . . . . .  Supported
    S-ATA II Signaling Speed (3 Gps). . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Receipt Of Power Management Requests From Host. .  Not supported
    PHY Event Counters. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Non-Zero Buffer Offsets In DMA Setup FIS. . . . .  Not supported
    DMA Setup Auto-Activate Optimization. . . . . . .  Not supported
    Device Initiating Interface Power Management. . .  Supported, Disabled
    In-Order Data Delivery. . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Asynchronous Notification . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Software Settings Preservation. . . . . . . . . .  Supported, Enabled
    Native Command Queuing (NCQ). . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Queue Length. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  32

S.M.A.R.T.
    ----------
No.  Attribute                Thre.. Value  Worst  Data                Status                   Flags                                                  
1    Raw Read Error Rate      6      116    99     000006D905BD        OK                       Error-Rate, Performance, Statistical, Critical         
3    Spin Up Time             0      100    100    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Statistical, Critical                                  
4    Start/Stop Count         20     100    100    0000000003AC        OK                       Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical              
5    Reallocated Sectors Co.. 36     100    100    000000000000        OK                       Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical, Critical    
7    Seek Error Rate          30     74     60     000001BE5CF0        OK                       Error-Rate, Performance, Statistical, Critical         
9    Power-On Time Count      0      96     96     000000000DE8        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical              
10   Spin Retry Count         97     100    100    000000000000        OK                       Event Count, Statistical, Critical                     
12   Drive Power Cycle Count  20     100    100    0000000003DC        OK                       Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical              
183  Vendor-specific          0      100    100    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical              
184  Vendor-specific          99     100    100    000000000000        OK                       Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical              
187  Vendor-specific          0      88     88     00000000000C        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical              
188  Vendor-specific          0      100    97     000000000022        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical              
189  Vendor-specific          0      100    100    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Error-Rate, Statistical  
190  Airflow Temperature      45     57     42     02912C2B002B        OK                       Self Preserving, Statistical                           
194  HDD Temperature          0      43     58     00180000002B        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Statistical                           
195  Hardware ECC Recovered   0      37     26     000006D905BD        OK (Always passing)      Event Count, Error-Rate, Statistical                   
197  Current Pending Sector.. 0      100    100    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Event Count, Statistical                               
198  Off-Line Uncorrectable.. 0      100    100    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Event Count                                            
199  Ultra ATA CRC Error Co.. 0      200    200    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Error-Rate, Performanc.. 
240  Head Flying Hours        0      100    253    32B000001825        OK (Always passing)                                                             
241  Vendor-specific          0      100    253    0000FB31DBF9        OK (Always passing)                                                             
242  Vendor-specific          0      100    253    00009B6A434D        OK (Always passing)                                                             

-- Physical Disk Information - Disk: #1: Maxtor 6V080E0 --

Hard Disk Summary
    -----------------
    Hard Disk Number. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1
    Hard Disk Device. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  /dev/sdb
    Interface . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  S-ATA II
    Hard Disk Model ID. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Maxtor 6V080E0
    Hard Disk Revision. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  VA111900
    Hard Disk Serial Number . . . . . . . . . . . . .  V22XT9LG
    Hard Disk Total Size. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  78167 MB
    Current Temperature . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  48 °C (118 °F)
    Power On Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  924 days, 19 hours, 13 minutes
    Estimated Remaining Lifetime. . . . . . . . . . .  more than 812 days
    Health. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  ###################- 95 % (Excellent)
    Performance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  #################### 100 % (Excellent)

The drive found 4 bad sectors during its self test.
    There are 1 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.
      No actions needed.

ATA Information
    ---------------
    Hard Disk Cylinders . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  158816
    Hard Disk Heads . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  16
    Hard Disk Sectors . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  63
    Total Sectors . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  160086528
    ATA Revision. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
    Bytes Per Sector. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  512
    Buffer Size . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8192 KB
    Multiple Sectors. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  16
    Error Correction Bytes. . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
    Unformatted Capacity. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  78167 MB
    Maximum PIO Mode. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
    Maximum Multiword DMA Mode. . . . . . . . . . . .  2
    Maximum UDMA Mode . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  150 MB/s (6)
    Active UDMA Mode. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  150 MB/s (6)
    Minimum Multiword DMA Transfer Time . . . . . . .  120 ns
    Recommended Multiword DMA Transfer Time . . . . .  120 ns
    Minimum PIO Transfer Time Without IORDY . . . . .  120 ns
    Minimum PIO Transfer Time With IORDY. . . . . . .  120 ns
    ATA Control Byte. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Valid
    ATA Checksum Value. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Valid

Acoustic Management Configuration
    ---------------------------------
    Acoustic Management . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Acoustic Management . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Enabled
    Current Acoustic Level. . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Max performance and volume (FEh)
    Recommended Acoustic Level. . . . . . . . . . . .  Balanced performance and volume (C0h)

EIDE Properties
    ---------------
    Read Ahead Buffer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    DMA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Ultra DMA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    S.M.A.R.T.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Power Management. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Write Cache . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Host Protected Area . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Advanced Power Management . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Power Up In Standby . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    48-bit LBA Addressing . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Device Configuration Overlay. . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    IORDY Support . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Read/Write DMA Queue. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    NOP Command . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Trusted Computing . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    64-bit World Wide ID. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  50010750801BE7C1
    Streaming . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Media Card Pass Through . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    General Purpose Logging . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Error Logging . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    CFA Feature Set . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Long Physical Sectors (1) . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Long Logical Sectors. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Write-Read-Verify . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    NV Cache Feature. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    NV Cache Power Mode . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    NV Cache Size . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Free-fall Control . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Free-fall Control Sensitivity . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported

SSD Features
    ------------
    Data Set Management . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    TRIM Command. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Deterministic Read After TRIM . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported

S.M.A.R.T. Details
    ------------------
    Off-line Data Collection Status . . . . . . . . .  Successfully Completed
    Self Test Execution Status. . . . . . . . . . . .  Test Failed By Read Element
    Total Time To Complete Off-line Data Collection .  901 seconds
    Execute Off-line Immediate. . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Abort/restart Off-line By Host. . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Off-line Read Scanning. . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Short Self-test . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Extended Self-test. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Conveyance Self-test. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Selective Self-Test . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Save Data Before/After Power Saving Mode. . . . .  Supported
    Enable/Disable Attribute Autosave . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Error Logging Capability. . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Short Self-test Estimated Time. . . . . . . . . .  2 minutes
    Extended Self-test Estimated Time . . . . . . . .  35 minutes

Security Mode
    -------------
    Security Mode . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Security Erase. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Security Erase Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Security Enhanced Erase Feature . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Security Enhanced Erase Time. . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Security Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  No
    Security Locked . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  No
    Security Frozen . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  No
    Security Counter Expired. . . . . . . . . . . . .  No
    Security Level. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  High

Serial ATA Features
    -------------------
    S-ATA Compliance. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Yes
    S-ATA I Signaling Speed (1.5 Gps) . . . . . . . .  Supported
    S-ATA II Signaling Speed (3 Gps). . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Receipt Of Power Management Requests From Host. .  Supported
    PHY Event Counters. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Non-Zero Buffer Offsets In DMA Setup FIS. . . . .  Not supported
    DMA Setup Auto-Activate Optimization. . . . . . .  Not supported
    Device Initiating Interface Power Management. . .  Not supported
    In-Order Data Delivery. . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Asynchronous Notification . . . . . . . . . . . .  Not supported
    Software Settings Preservation. . . . . . . . . .  Supported, Enabled
    Native Command Queuing (NCQ). . . . . . . . . . .  Supported
    Queue Length. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  32

S.M.A.R.T.
    ----------
No.  Attribute                Thre.. Value  Worst  Data                Status                   Flags                                                  
3    Spin Up Time             63     222    219    000000002866        OK                       Self Preserving, Performance, Statistical, Critical    
4    Start/Stop Count         0      250    250    000000001ECC        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical              
5    Reallocated Sectors Co.. 63     253    253    000000000000        OK                       Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical, Critical    
7    Seek Error Rate          0      253    252    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Error-Rate, Statistical                                
8    Seek Time Performance    187    248    238    00000000AC10        OK                       Self Preserving, Performance, Statistical, Critical    
9    Power-On Time Count      0      193    193    000000005201        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical              
10   Spin Retry Count         157    253    252    000000000000        OK                       Self Preserving, Error-Rate, Statistical, Critical     
11   Drive Calibration Retr.. 223    253    252    000000000000        OK                       Self Preserving, Error-Rate, Statistical, Critical     
12   Drive Power Cycle Count  0      228    228    000000002698        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical              
189  Vendor-specific          0      100    100    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Error-Rate, Statistical  
190  Airflow Temperature      0      52     40     0000312F0030        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Statistical                           
192  Power off Retract Cycle  0      253    253    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical              
193  Load/Unload Cycle Count  0      253    253    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical              
194  HDD Temperature          0      45     253    000000000030        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical              
195  Hardware ECC Recovered   0      253    252    000000000467        OK (Always passing)      Error-Rate, Statistical                                
196  Reallocation Event Count 0      253    253    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Error-Rate                                             
197  Current Pending Sector.. 0      253    253    000000000001        OK (Always passing)      Error-Rate                                             
198  Off-Line Uncorrectable.. 0      249    244    000000000004        OK (Always passing)      Error-Rate                                             
199  Ultra ATA CRC Error Co.. 0      1      1      000000000DED        OK (Always passing)      Error-Rate                                             
200  Write Error Rate         0      253    252    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Error-Rate, Statistical                                
201  Soft Read Error Rate     0      253    252    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Error-Rate, Statistical                                
202  Data Address Mark Errors 0      253    252    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Error-Rate, Statistical                                
203  Run Out Cancel           180    253    252    000000000000        OK                       Error-Rate, Statistical, Critical                      
204  Soft ECC Correction      0      253    252    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Error-Rate, Statistical                                
205  Thermal Asperity Rate    0      253    252    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Error-Rate, Statistical                                
207  Spin High Current        0      253    252    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Error-Rate, Statistical               
208  Spin Buzz                0      253    252    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Error-Rate, Statistical               
210  Vendor-specific          0      253    252    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical              
211  Vendor-specific          0      253    252    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical              
212  Vendor-specific          0      253    252    000000000000        OK (Always passing)      Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical

Abz2000
11-25-2011, 07:01 PM
the boot cd works with ext4, dunno how hard disk sentinel works with it though as i've never seen that sort of display - this is the usual dos diagnostic on a fault:

if you're getting a clean bill of health then i would assume it's the file structure and layout, what happens if you rar your files?

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-25-2011, 07:13 PM
I dont know what you mean by 'what happens to my rar files?' i have some game images and movies in rar archive. :p

Abz2000
11-25-2011, 07:15 PM
oops - just noticed - you're getting 4 bad sectors on the maxtor 6V080E0,
i'm pretty certain hdat2 can back them up and isolate them automatically in an efficient manner (better than the likes of chkdsk anyway)
you have to be patient with it though, i made the mistake of wondering why it's taking so long on the first few and damaged them beyond repair by pulling out in the middle of repair,
now i use a separate pc and leave it overnight if necessary, no user input is required once the process has started, but a fan is strongly recommended.
they can get hot.

Abz2000
11-25-2011, 07:17 PM
I dont know what you mean by 'what happens to my rar files?' i have some game images and movies in rar archive.
if you split them up into rar and delete/move the main files that you use least to an external - do you get the same screeching sound?
(those new large 8gb files you mentioned)

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-25-2011, 07:26 PM
if you split them up into rar and delete/move the main files that you use least to an external -, do you get the same screeching sound?
(those new large files you mentioned)
No, I havent tried that. Those large files i mentioned, are now purged, I deleted them. I was using them for some testing purpose. Those iso images and rar files were there before the hard disk started making sound, so i am now confused.

tell me one thing, bro, the SMART status says that the HD is healthy and now should i stop worrying for my HD is making sound? I am least worried about Maxtor whihc has 4 bad sectors because i dont have any important data in it. :hmm:

Abz2000
11-25-2011, 07:39 PM
if both the tests are showing 100% there shouldn't be any cause of worry,
but if my disk was sounding like you described i would still have my hair on end,
have you scanned it for spyware/bots etc?
i also found this quite useful for feeling familiar with what's taking up what:
http://www.diskanalyzerpro.com/

again - if they say they're healthy, i'd believe they were but still be concerned about longevity,
why not backup onto different smaller drives and dban the thing and write complete zeros?

dban is also on that iso disc along with other wiping tools

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-25-2011, 07:43 PM
^ Well, i dont use windows on my 1tb hd, so there is no chance of spyware or bots. also i cannot run certain disk utilities on my linux hd. i will try diskanalyserpro and hdat2 on my maxtor hd.

Abz2000
11-25-2011, 07:49 PM
dban is a linux environment program.

http://www.dban.org/about

with or without dban, wiping the drive on a low level or even on a simple format would probably tell you if the scratching was file based

Dagless
11-25-2011, 08:18 PM
dban is a linux environment program.

http://www.dban.org/about

with or without dban, wiping the drive on a low level or even on a simple format would probably tell you if the scratching was file based
To give an opposite view; I think you should either leave it or run a program like spinrite for a few days on the drive. You already know there are no bad sectors, and those you have on the other drive cannot be repaired by dban - if it see's a bad sector it won't even touch it; you'll just get an error after like 30 hrs or however long your option takes.

Abz2000
11-25-2011, 08:37 PM
^ but if after he backs up the one with no errors (the 1tb) and formats it, he can be assured that that it's a folder organisation issue and it should stop grinding, then he can put his files back on in a more organised structure (coz i know how stressful it is to hear your drive grind away - it feels like your heart's being torn out. ;D
the maxtor can be repaired with hdat2 though and there'll probably be no need for wiping

we had a customer come in the other day and her xp had failed, instead of backing up and making her buy a new drive and then reinstalling os + drivers, i repaired it with hdat2 unattended in 1 and a half hours (80gb) it fixed 2 bad sectors, and it booted into her o.s perfectly. she's happy, i'm happy.

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-26-2011, 03:20 AM
coz i know how stressful it is to hear your drive grind away - it feels like your heart's being torn out.
:lol: that's how i feel, my heart pounds every time i hear that sound...

Anyways I'll try backing up the files and formatting the HD again and repair the 80gb with hdat2.

Abz2000
11-26-2011, 03:12 PM
let us know how it goes, i like to hear success stories.
(remember to be patient with hdat2, it can take time on bad sectors.
choose the first option (the top one), "check and repair bad sectors".

Tilmeez
11-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Guys I'm sick with your whatever it is, to me its next to my Chinese.
I need at least one complaint to issue warnings to all culprits.:raging:

Why don't you take it to garbage section.... I mean Brothers' Section?:skeleton:

Someone please move these post there as a new thread.

What? I'm sick, I have already told :exhausted

User29123
11-26-2011, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tilmeez
Guys I'm sick with your whatever it is, too me its next to my Chinese.
I need at least one complaint to issue warnings to all culprits.:raging:

Why don't you take it to garbage section.... I mean Brothers' Section?:skeleton:

Someone please move these post there as a new thread.

What? I'm sick, I have already told :exhausted
It's computer language and nerdy geeky stuff, look I can translate the last line for you:

You Said: "Why don't you take it to garbage section.... I mean Brothers' Section?" the computer said:

01010111 01101000 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110100 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100111 01100001 01110010 01100010 01100001 01100111 01100101 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100011 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 00101110 00101110 00101110 00101110 00100000 01001001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01100001 01101110 00100000 01000010 01110010 01101111 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100111 00100000 01010011 01100101 01100011 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 00111111]
^o)^o):exhausted

'Abd Al-Maajid
12-12-2011, 03:24 PM
What are pros and cons of creating a swap partition in an extended file system rather than creating it as a primary partition?

Muslim Woman
12-14-2011, 03:42 AM

when I try to shut down computer , a dialog box comes with this message : Ending Programme , Pl. wait.:heated:

Abz2000
12-14-2011, 04:51 AM
you have a program running in the background,
you can stop unnecessary programs from starting up by using msconfig

xp:
start
run
msconfig
startup programs.
UNCHECK THE PROGRAMS YOU DON'T NEED (DO NOT STOP ANYTHING YOU DON'T RECOGNISE AND DO NOT STOP YOUR ANTIVIRUS)
click apply/ok
a reboot is required

VISTA/win 7:
start
msconfig (in the search box)
continue with same as above

(depending on what you use)
i normally stop programs like win live messenger, real player etc,

removing startup programs won't prevent them from working, it'll just prevent them from starting with windows and slowing down your pc unnecessarily, you can click on their respective icons on the desktop / start menu to access them normally.

'Abd Al-Maajid
12-17-2011, 06:33 PM

How to fix this?

I dont have time to do a fresh installation of Windows. and i dont want to buy a Win 7 license...:hmm: I cannot afford it tbh.

Abz2000
12-18-2011, 01:12 AM
if your computer has a product key sticker with 25 characters, you can activate with that, or there are other ways,
also, did you install from a corporate disc or an oem?
are you online now?

'Abd Al-Maajid
12-18-2011, 04:47 AM
^ My computer doesn't have the product key sticker, i bought it with ubuntu pre installed on it. :) and my mainstream OS is ubuntu, but i use windows to play games and run some software which could not be run on linux platform.

I installed it from a volume license disk. en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86 _cd_vl_x14-73974

Abz2000
12-18-2011, 05:39 AM
don't post pk's!

since the genuine thing has already come, it may need a few different tries with different software, try this:
----------------

sent via pm

'Abd Al-Maajid
12-18-2011, 05:49 AM
what do I have to do with this?

Abz2000
12-18-2011, 06:10 AM
run the cmd

Abz2000
12-20-2011, 05:10 PM
I MADE IT BRO!!!!!

still in beta stage but works well so far:

Haya emaan
01-09-2012, 06:59 PM

my keyboard stopped working.. don't know why.. it just stopped and after a while few keys started working. now its been whole day and its the same. m using on screen board. any solutions what i can do?

i m using dell inspiron mini

User29123
01-09-2012, 07:01 PM

my keyboard stopped working.. don't know why.. it just stopped and after a while few keys started working. now its been whole day and its the same. m using on screen board. any solutions what i can do?
get driver, what model keyboard?

Haya emaan
01-09-2012, 07:05 PM
how do i know key board model?

User29123
01-09-2012, 07:10 PM
how do i know key board model?
Cause it should say on the keyboard front or back...

Haya emaan
01-09-2012, 07:16 PM
where brother? dnt seem 2 find it? keyboard back u mean on back of note book? bt there isnt

sabr*
01-09-2012, 07:35 PM
where brother? dnt seem 2 find it? keyboard back u mean on back of note book? bt there isnt
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Ukhti muslima haya:

This might be difficult to guide you through the process of finding out your keyboard model.

Only because we don't know what operation system you are using to provide a step by step
view of your devices. You have to keep in mind that you have very knowledgeable forum
members. But translating that knowledge into providing technical support which is a
process gets lost in translation.

Go to the start on your task bar, locate control panel, locate hardware, view devices
installed, locate keyboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Inspiron_Mini_Series

User29123
01-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah do this:

go to Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager > expand Keyboards > Double click the keyboard listed and click update driver.

Or for a quicker way.

Click Start > in the search box type devmgmt.msc

arabic alphabet
01-09-2012, 11:02 PM
That was help me in my case

Abz2000
01-10-2012, 12:28 AM
and if it's not the driver, check to find if anyone dropped liquid on it,
if so, it is easy to replace the keyboard and quite cheap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_jUFbxHoAU

you can get the keyboard on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-DELL-I...#ht_665wt_1163

Ar-RaYYan
01-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Asalamu Alaykum all,

I am trying open microsoft powerpoint but every time i try do that it gives me the list of docs saved on there already and even when i click on one of them i get the slides show and when i press 'end show' the whole powerpoint thing disappears. My microsoft word works and I have noticed when i go to start, I can see a small little blue box on the right hand side of the powerpoint symbol.... I have taken a screen shot of that but dont know how to copy to the thread...

Does anyone know why I cant open the powerpoint?

Jazzakallah khair

Danah
01-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Assalam Alykom

I dunno if this can be posted here in this thread, but did anyone here use two operating systems at the same PC? Did that slow down your system performance?
I would like to have a Linux based OS like Ubuntu or Fedora installed along with windows 7 that I already have now.
I have i5, 2.30 GHz. RAM is 4 GB.....will that be okay with 2 OSs?

Any good links for the steps to do that will be appreciated. I wanna have tried steps, I'm so busy to go around from site to site to find good, clear steps.

Jazakum Allah khair in advance.

AabiruSabeel
01-10-2012, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
Asalamu Alaykum all,

I am trying open microsoft powerpoint but every time i try do that it gives me the list of docs saved on there already and even when i click on one of them i get the slides show and when i press 'end show' the whole powerpoint thing disappears. My microsoft word works and I have noticed when i go to start, I can see a small little blue box on the right hand side of the powerpoint symbol.... I have taken a screen shot of that but dont know how to copy to the thread...

Does anyone know why I cant open the powerpoint?

Maybe the file that you have is a powerpoint slideshow file. To open that, first open a blank MS Powerpoint document by clicking Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft Office -> Microsoft Powerpoint. Once a blank presentation is opened, click on File -> Open and browse to your saved slideshow file. Then you can save this file as a .ppt file.

To post a screenshot, save the image and upload it on any image hosting site such as imageshack.us and paste the link here in this format:
[img]link_url[/img]

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-10-2012, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
Assalam Alykom

I dunno if this can be posted here in this thread, but did anyone here use two operating systems at the same PC? Did that slow down your system performance?
I would like to have a Linux based OS like Ubuntu or Fedora installed along with windows 7 that I already have now.

Any good links for the steps to do that will be appreciated. I wanna have tried steps, I'm so busy to go around from site to site to find good, clear steps.

Wa'alaykum Salaam.

I use Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows XP on my computer. My Hard disk layout is totally different from what your might be. I have installed windows XP on an 80 GB hard disk and Ubuntu 10.10 on a 1 TB hard disk.

You should always install windows first in you are trying to use GRUB as default bootloader.

anyways coming to installation of Ubuntu on your computer, download the Ubuntu iso image and write that to a CD.
Open your computer and insert the CD and the CD will prompt you to run the Wubi (windows installer for linux)
Follow the instructions, allot some space for the Linux partition and install it on that allotted space.
Configure the bootloader and you will have ubuntu entry in the boot options.

P.S. Considered you as an advanced user.

Abz2000
01-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Assalam Alykom

you may find this useful;

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html

islamica
01-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Assalam Alykom

wa'alaikum assalaam,

Have you heard of virtual box? I hear it's good for installing other systems to play with.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-11-2012, 06:05 PM
wa'alaikum assalaam,

Have you heard of virtual box? I hear it's good for installing other systems to play with.

https://www.virtualbox.org/
I dont personally recommend virtualization if the processor does not support hardware virtualization. Can you find vmx flag in the processor's instruction set?

Abz2000
01-11-2012, 06:21 PM
and i dont think it's anywhere near as fast as an independently booting multi OS system,

unless you're using the right cpu and s**tloads of ram

Dagless
01-12-2012, 01:56 AM
and i dont think it's anywhere near as fast as an independently booting multi OS system,

unless you're using the right cpu and s**tloads of ram
She has an i5 with 4GB of ram, which is more than enough.
Better to try out a new OS, rather than formatting and reinstalling everything only to find you don't like it or prefer a different flavour of Linux. Also, being able to access both at the same time will be more comfortable.
Definitely give virtualbox or vmware a try. Great idea from Islamica.

Abz2000
01-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Nice observation, didn't read the specs sis Dana posted,
I have been looking into VMware tutorials over the past month and found it can be very useful, especially for making custom OSs in pre-installation environments without having to constantly reboot.
I'm trying to make os discs with programs such as vlc, security essentials, Skype, Firefox/ chrome etc all preinstalled so I can save a good few hundred hours a year spent installing program's, but have only messed with nlite and usb multiboot before,
Will pm you if I get stuck ;)

Danah
01-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions and links. I checked my Hard disk condition and found that I forgot to allot hard disk when I bought the laptop few months ago. I tried to do that yesterday but I couldn't find it under the options there, is that becuz I suppose to do that when I firstly got the PC? (I guess that might be the case) becuz I have done that process many times in the past for other PCs that was newly used or just getting formatted, but its not working with my PC now.
Will leaving the hard disk un-partinoned will affect installing another OS?

And how to get the GRUB bootloader? or is it already there?

Ar-RaYYan
01-16-2012, 06:41 PM
How do you stop Google following you?

I see all these things that I have searched on Google appear as ads on websites I go into.

Jazzakallah khair

syilla
01-17-2012, 03:40 AM
^^^i also found that as a problem and i also found out hackers can easily get information from the google id :hmm: e.g. mobile no. :hmm:

Abz2000
01-17-2012, 04:20 AM
use an ip changer, that way you can be "anywhere in the world" at any given time

hidemyass.com is a useful route too, you can just do your search from there and it will get routed through their constantly changing ip,
it is claimed that it blocks your ip from coming up at the source:
http://hidemyass.com/

here's an example of a result, you'll notice that the website address is gibberish:
http://3.hidemyass.com/ip-4/encoded/...B1dGVycy5jb20v

or if you're using firefox, scroogle is apparently a good browser (though the search results look ugly:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...le-ssl-search/

syilla
01-18-2012, 01:38 AM
i've checked that you can actually delete your googling history from the privacy settings. just log in to gmail id and click on the privacy settings.

Ar-RaYYan
01-18-2012, 12:52 PM
use an ip changer, that way you can be "anywhere in the world" at any given time

hidemyass.com is a useful route too, you can just do your search from there and it will get routed through their constantly changing ip,
it is claimed that it blocks your ip from coming up at the source:
http://hidemyass.com/

here's an example of a result, you'll notice that the website address is gibberish:
http://3.hidemyass.com/ip-4/encoded/...B1dGVycy5jb20v

or if you're using firefox, scroogle is apparently a good browser (though the search results look ugly:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...le-ssl-search/
Jazzakallah khair.

Just a couple of more questions; I was searching for an IP changer on Google and some of them you have to pay for it while others are free to download.... How would you know which one are reliable fast and free of virus and ads??

If I use hidemyass.com will I still get the same results on google as I would have done without using this route?

format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
i've checked that you can actually delete your googling history from the privacy settings. just log in to gmail id and click on the privacy settings.
Do you have to use a gmail id to do this? I'm not sure but someone was telling me ages ago about changing your privacy setting and that way google wouldnt be able to store your searches? :?

Dagless
01-18-2012, 01:22 PM

I see all these things that I have searched on Google appear as ads on websites I go into.

Jazzakallah khair
Usually this is due to cookies. Either delete them or get an add-on.

Did Danah get Ubuntu working in the end?

Danah
01-20-2012, 11:22 PM
^ I am so busy these days to do it, I got some information I needed from here and I will do it when I get some free time inshaAllah.

Abz2000
01-20-2012, 11:37 PM
If I use hidemyass.com will I still get the same results on google as I would have done without using this route?
apologies for not responding earlier sis, didn't check the thread,
hidemyass.com is a little different in that you have to input the website you want to go to rather than a normal search,
like instead of youtube, you have to put youtube.com

forefox has some free extensions that can change your ip and let you choose different countries' ip addresses which i feel is better than deleting cookies,
because of the fact that google has proven itself to be a spying machine with endless amounts of backup storage, i don't think deleting cookies will help much since you're going through their servers, and the servers can keep a log of your ip along with search histories without having to touch your pc.
you can also find a few free limited ones on cnet.com
but they only give you a few ip choices.

please bear in mind that even remote ips aren't always safe since the spooks can set some up and give them publicity in order to snoop specifically on those who choose privacy,
i came to the decision to just be open about what i say and not anything against the laws of Islam as far as i am able.
another thing you can look at is tor networks, but again, bear in mind that nothing is safe if they control it and own all the bouncer routers since they can log your ip as the first point of contact.

please do not let this make us over paranoid and deter us from speaking the truth, the Prophet's of old didn't have tor networks and had to speak openly, despite some being beheaded, they didn't give a darn.
and the more people get vocal, the less chance of them stifling the "odd few", so let's invite every one to help us speak the truth.

islamica
01-23-2012, 04:36 AM
If you want to be annonymous online, try this...

Ultrasurf is a product of Ultrareach Internet Corporation. Originally created to help internet users in China find security and freedom online, Ultrasurf has now become the world's most popular pro-privacy, anti-censorship software, with millions of people using it to bypass firewalls and protect their identity online.

http://www.ultrareach.com/

Muslim Woman
01-25-2012, 02:07 PM

I can't open this site from laptop .:heated:

Ramadhan
01-26-2012, 01:49 AM

I can't open this site from laptop .:heated:

You can solve your problem by changing the DNS servers. Follow sister Insaanah's tech advice on post #48: http://www.islamicboard.com/forum-he...us-know-4.html

Muslim Woman
02-03-2012, 04:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan

You can solve your problem by changing the DNS servers. Follow sister Insaanah's tech advice on post #48: http://www.islamicboard.com/forum-he...us-know-4.html
I was planning to change the settings and strange that today I can open the forum from laptop without making the changes :)

Abz2000
02-20-2012, 08:44 AM
guys i'm stuck!
5 years of picz and docs and lectures and business templates etc all in there,
i need a controller board/ic for a hitachi deskstar 2.0tb p/n 0f12115 hds723020BLA642 3.5" HDD
controller board 0j11434......
i can find the drive itself, or the board for very expensive, but was wondering if any of you know where to get the blown ic from, the boards i found on google from ebay are gone, i need to get this working and any help would be appreciated.
i have circled the ic in question and provided far shots for location,
the chip i need is "XZ", WHICH IS BETWEEN "XY" AND R100:

AFTER CLEANING:

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-20-2012, 01:20 PM
^ Is that a discontinued product?

Dagless
02-20-2012, 01:27 PM
^^Do you have the specs of the IC you need?

Abz2000
02-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Is that a discontinued product?

i don't kow, but i'm finding out now that it's nicknamed "deathstar" instead of deskstar,

Do you have the specs of the IC you need?
=( can't find the specs anywhere, don't even find the name of the thing, just "xz",
a wild shot but you think it may possibly be a sensor?
the reason i'm not just hooking any obscure thing up now is because i know the disk works and don't want the board to send it any wrong commands.

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-21-2012, 01:12 PM
You can find anyone who has the same HD and replace the HD controller chip, recover the data and return the HD controller chip. Simple, no? :statisfie

Abz2000
02-21-2012, 01:14 PM
lolz, i'm gettin' ideas now, i'm thinking of getting a new drive of same firmware and p/n, and using one board between both, that way i have double backup,
but concerned that since that too is a sh1tachi, it may fail.

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-21-2012, 01:25 PM
lolz, i'm gettin' ideas now, i'm thinking of getting a new drive of same firmware and p/n, and using one board between both, that way i have double backup,
but concerned that since that too is a sh1tachi, it may fail.
It is a good idea, but HD prices have skyrocketed. :p

I was planning to buy a portable HD but then I decided to buy a laptop itself rather than spending a large amount on just a HD.

Abz2000
02-21-2012, 01:33 PM
true, i'd be paying double, yeah, better to find an ic for now or somehow get hitachi to replace this one, but then they'd demand my old one first.
think it would be wrong to but a new one and swap the controller board then return the new one since mine is still under warranty and they'd have to replace it anyway?, or back up to the new one and just get the old one replaced, but again, that would mean having 2 crappy hdds

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-21-2012, 01:35 PM
true, i'd be paying double, yeah, better to find an ic for now or somehow get hitachi to replace this one, but then they'd demand my old one first.
think it would be wrong to but a new one and swap the controller board since mine is still under warranty and they'd have to replace it anyway?
Will they preserve the data?

Dagless
02-21-2012, 02:03 PM
think it would be wrong to but a new one and swap the controller board then return the new one since mine is still under warranty and they'd have to replace it anyway?, or back up to the new one and just get the old one replaced, but again, that would mean having 2 crappy hdds
Call them and explain the situation to see if they can send you just the board and you can send yours.
If they say no, and you don't know what the IC does, then the only thing you can do is buy the same disk again.

Abz2000
02-23-2012, 07:04 AM
Will they preserve the data?
they wouldn't take any responsibility for it for sure, no one does unless they're crazy and want to risk getting sued.

and even if they agree to replace just the board, i don't want to risk sending them 5 years of stuff with no secondary backup and it getting misplaced or lost in the post.

i have emailed them and waiting to see how they'll resolve it.

Abz2000
02-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting our Hitachi Technical Support.

Unfortunately, we do not supply hard disk components,
we only replace complete units. I also do not recommend
swapping the controller board with this device as it is
most likely not gonna work. Modern hard disks are somewhat
"married" to the controllers on a software level and
require specific programming that we do not support.

Please contact a data recovery service if the data is indispensable.

Best regards,

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting our Hitachi Technical Support.

Unfortunately, we do not supply hard disk components,
we only replace complete units. I also do not recommend
swapping the controller board with this device as it is
most likely not gonna work. Modern hard disks are somewhat
"married" to the controllers on a software level and
require specific programming that we do not support.

Please contact a data recovery service if the data is indispensable.

Best regards,
LOL! That's very unprofessional!
If I would have replied to a client in the way he did, I would have received a warning letter from my manager. ;D

And, yes, you can try contacting the data recovery service. But it is highly unlikely that replacement of the chip wont work (at least that's what I think). You can still try to replace the chip imho.

Abz2000
02-23-2012, 04:56 PM
lol, that's how i speak with my customers, very casual personal level, including words like crap and dumb, but in a nice way in way of advice about economic viability :)
can't help it, it just comes naturally and is usually quite good for communication purposes, dunno about writing "dunno" in a professional email though, but i believe his expertise is valued.

it has something to do with the fact that the disk health, sector, mapping etc info is written into an eeprom somewhere on the controller board,
i could still get the board and change the burnt ic, that way all the history stays intact.
gonna try it insha Allah and let u know how it goes,

lolol if you were amused at that email, check this one from a few years back :)

----- Original Message -----
To: ajbspares@btinternet.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 12:53 AM
Subject: Message from eBay Member Regarding Item #220247899353
Dear ajb_spares,

hi aj, you have not yet responded to my messages, i asked you to inform me if you've sent out my amilo l1300 and when to expect it,
regards,
abz
- abz2000123

reply from ajb_spares

We aint even looked at yet,,but if your in a rush we will send it back to unrepaired whats up do think you wont get it back its a total piece of crap..its on its way unrepaired..

:raging:

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
^ any luck, bro with the IC and the HD?

I've been using Ubuntu Oneric on my laptop and recently after an update, the startup and shutdown times has been drastically increased...I dont know what went wrong :( @Dagless help me...it's taking about 30 seconds to shutdown...

Dagless
03-11-2012, 09:58 PM
^ any luck, bro with the IC and the HD?

I've been using Ubuntu Oneric on my laptop and recently after an update, the startup and shutdown times has been drastically increased...I dont know what went wrong :( @Dagless help me...it's taking about 30 seconds to shutdown...
Might be the network manager (old issue but I didn't get it). Try:

sudo mv /etc/rc6.d/S35networking /etc/rc6.d/S15networking
sudo mv /etc/rc0.d/S35networking /etc/rc0.d/S15networking

You can name them back if it doesn't work.

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-12-2012, 05:05 AM
edit....please delete.

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-12-2012, 05:20 AM
Light reading? You mean about the five lights below 'Ubuntu' on the splash screen?

Yes, I've noticed that they glow and run normally until a certain point when only one of them would glow red (the first one) and it seems the shutdown process is frozen then and after that the first two'd glow red and it seems the shutdown process has been frozen again and after sometime they resume to run normally and the computer would shutdown. Man, just now i've checked and it is taking 50 seconds to shutdown...:( :crying:

I also see a performance degradation after the update...:(

And the renaming of files didn't work it is still taking a long time to shutdown. I feel like i am using a Windows machine...:p

One more issue with the Fn keys. I cant get all of them to work. I tried searching the internet and asked about it on Ubuntu Forums with no luck. :|

Fn+Esc - Mute/Unmute - Working
Fn+F1 - Lock - Not working
Fn+F3 - Suspend - Working
Fn+F4 - Hibernate - Not working
Fn+F6 - Brightness Increase - working
Fn+F7 - Brightness decrease - working
Fn+F8 - Switch on/off wireless - not working
Fn+F11 - activate numberpad - working
And some of the functions, I dont even know about them.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1938584

Haya emaan
04-23-2012, 04:27 PM
assalam o alaikum

i have accidentally clicked some thing and the size of the forum have reduced.. every thing appears so tiny..
how to bring it back to the original size?

Muslim Woman
04-23-2012, 04:33 PM

try this one sis : at right side of top in ur screen , there is restore down option.Click on that .

Haya emaan
04-23-2012, 04:44 PM
try this one sis : at right side of top in ur screen , there is restore down option.Click on that .
couldn't find it..

Muslim Woman
04-23-2012, 04:46 PM

there is - sign and x option . Between these 2 , there are 2 squares . Click on that.

Dagless
04-23-2012, 05:09 PM
assalam o alaikum

i have accidentally clicked some thing and the size of the forum have reduced.. every thing appears so tiny..
Could also try "ctrl + mousewheel".

AabiruSabeel
04-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Try pressing ctrl + 0

It will restore the zoom level to 100%.

Haya emaan
04-24-2012, 08:55 PM
JAZAKALLAH KHAIR for your help sister and brothers

its done.. forum screen size is normal now..

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-18-2012, 09:56 AM
I have downloaded my private messages as an xml file. however i cannot read the arabic text...:hmm:

It shows like this...
He said:
عليكم بسنتي وسنة الخلفاء الراشدين المهديين عضوا عليها بالنواجذ
i have tried differnt types of character encoding...but no luck. i have installed language packs too.
any suggestions?

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-18-2012, 09:58 AM
^ it is displayed correctly here...in the xml file i have hashes and numbers..their UTF codes...

~ Sabr ~
05-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Print screen and past on microsoft word to save them?

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-18-2012, 10:09 AM
That will not help, i know.

~ Sabr ~
05-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Okey dokey. :skeleton:

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Anyone uses Thunderbird to organize their emails...?

~ Sabr ~
05-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Eh.....?

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-20-2012, 07:49 AM
I want gmail to use the thunderbir's trash folder as it's default bin folder. :hmm:
I cant figure it out...though i have tried subscribing to the folders and all...:ermm:

~ Sabr ~
05-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Go to settings and try configuring it from there, or from options.

'Abd Al-Maajid
06-03-2012, 08:33 AM
I was using Thunderbird to manage all my email accounts and used IMAP for Gmail and Yahoo and POP for Live and Hotmail (both are the same but with different domains). And the emails from Live and Hotmail were synchronized and downloaded to my hard drive, the worst part, the profiles of Live and Hotmail were accidentally deleted and the mails were not on the inbox either. When emails are synchronized through POP it downloads mails to hard drive and then deletes them from the server. It had some important emails...:cry::cry::cry: about my certification exams from IBM. Is there anyway to recover them,,,,? :exhausted

IMAP works like a charm but aargh! why don't Live does not support IMAP. One more good reason to hate Microsoft.

'Abd Al-Maajid
06-03-2012, 08:35 AM
I'd be grateful to anyone who can show me how to use IMAP with Live and Hotmail in Thunderbird. Without IzyMail or any other such service.

tango92
06-03-2012, 08:39 AM
I'd be grateful to anyone who can show me how to use IMAP with Live and Hotmail in Thunderbird. Without IzyMail or any other such service.
absolutely no idea. in the meantime you could press windows + L

'Abd Al-Maajid
06-03-2012, 08:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
absolutely no idea. in the meantime you could press windows + L
Thank you. But for me it's not Windows+L, it's Ctrl+Alt+L.

'Abd Al-Maajid
06-03-2012, 08:51 AM
I was using Thunderbird to manage all my email accounts and used IMAP for Gmail and Yahoo and POP for Live and Hotmail (both are the same but with different domains). And the emails from Live and Hotmail were synchronized and downloaded to my hard drive, the worst part, the profiles of Live and Hotmail were accidentally deleted and the mails were not on the inbox either. When emails are synchronized through POP it downloads mails to hard drive and then deletes them from the server. It had some important emails...:cry::cry::cry: about my certification exams from IBM. Is there anyway to recover them,,,,? :exhausted

IMAP works like a charm but aargh! why don't Live does not support IMAP. One more good reason to hate Microsoft.
This shall not go unnoticed.

Can I email the support team, will they be able to help?

Muhaba
06-03-2012, 12:28 PM
this is a good thread. i wonder if i can use this thread to learn some stuff about working with hardware, like making a computer from parts?

Insaanah
07-07-2012, 08:47 PM

Hoping I can get some help from the experts here.

My computer is a desktop Advent (PC World own brand) running Windows Vista 64-bit, purchased in early 2009. On my old PC, I had sound recording software downloaded and installed (that records any sound from your computer), and they worked fine, but none of them work on this one. Apparently it seems there was some problem with the sound cards (or maybe drivers, I'm not sure) on the early Vista 64 bit computers. I read on one website that you need to upgrade to service pack 2, to be able to search for and download updates to the drivers or new drivers. I've updated today to service pack 2, and searched for new drivers, but it says there are no updates available. So how do I get round this?

This is what I have under sound, video and game controllers in device manager:

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
Intel(R) High Definition Audio HDMI

I really want to be able to record for Ramadan.

Jazaakumullah khayr for any help anyone can offer.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-07-2012, 08:50 PM
^ are you talking about sound recorder?

If you playback anything whilst pressing record on sound recorder it shud b ok?

im just rying to make sure i understand your question, is it sound recorder thats not recording the background sound?

If so its most likely your audio device settings thats causing the issue.

Insaanah
07-07-2012, 09:31 PM

I didn't know about Sound Recorder. Jazaakallah khayr for that. I was using downloaded ones.

Even with this one, I get the message "an audio recording device cannot be found."

It's not a problem with my settings as such, but a problem that affected either the soundcards or soundcard drivers of the earlier Vista 64 bit systems.

And I need help in how to solve it/get round it. I tried installing SP2 which was supposed to help locate drivers/updates, but hasn't. There are other things on the net, people talking about the same problem on different makes of computer, but they are very technical and I don't understand what's being said.

Jazaakallah khayr.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-07-2012, 09:34 PM
^ try sound recorder and see if it works. hopefully that helps

Insaanah
07-07-2012, 09:39 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
^ try sound recorder and see if it works. hopefully that helps
I did, and it didn't work, as here:

format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
I didn't know about Sound Recorder. Jazaakallah khayr for that. I was using downloaded ones.

Even with this one, I get the message "an audio recording device cannot be found."
I don't think any sound recorder can work til the sound card/driver issue is fixed, and I need help with that.

Jazaakallah khayr.

Alpha Dude
07-07-2012, 11:08 PM
What sound recording software have you installed?

Insaanah
07-08-2012, 11:49 AM

Sound recorder, which comes pre installed with Windows, which gives the error message above.
Free Hi-Q recorder, which worked fine on my old pc. They've now put a message on the website saying it won't work with Vista 64-bit and apparently they've developed a paying version that is supposed to work with Vista 64-bit.
Free Audio Recorder, which gives advice on things to try if you have Vista 64 bit, which I've tried and don't work.
Wavepad sound editor, which also doesn't work.

I've tried every combination of settings for recording device and output device, but until I know how to solve this problem of the soundcard/driver not being recognised, I'm pretty sure nothing will work.

I have no problem with playing any kind of sound, either on a media player, or youtube or live streaming.

It is the recognition by any kind of recording software that seems to be the problem, or either the souncards/drivers themselves.

Jazaakallah khayr.

AabiruSabeel
07-08-2012, 11:51 AM

Are you able to record using a mic?

Dagless
07-08-2012, 11:58 AM
1) What is the model number of your Advent PC?

2)
This is what I have under sound, video and game controllers in device manager:

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
Intel(R) High Definition Audio HDMI
What do you have under "Other devices"?

3) In control panel what do you have listed under "Sound" and the "Recording" tab?

Insaanah
07-08-2012, 02:05 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
Are you able to record using a mic?
I will have to buy a mic and try and see if I can.

1) What is the model number of your Advent PC?
QC6003

2) What do you have under "Other devices"?
I can't see an "Other devices" option anywhere, either in control panel itself or on the device manager.

3) In control panel what do you have listed under "Sound" and the "Recording" tab?

The Stereo Mix is enabled rather than disabled, and I have selected show all disabled and disconnected devices.

Or did you mean that third sound tab, which is sounds applied to events in windows and programmes, such as beeps and the like?

Dagless
07-08-2012, 02:36 PM
QC6003
Things to try (I like to number things ;)):

1) Double click the microphone option under the "Recording" tab from the screenshots you posted (or right click and "set as default"). If recording still doesn't work change it back.

2) Try this app: http://camstudio.org/ (I assume you want to record internal sound (ie sound from your pc) as opposed to external (ie you talking)).

3) These are the latest drivers for your soundcard so update if needbe - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...G45ID&lang=eng

Insaanah
07-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Jazaakallah khayr for your help.

I did number one, set the microphone as the recording device, and tried Sound recorder and Hi-Q recorder - they didn't record anything. Sound recorder has a help button, which I clicked and was reading, and it had hints on using it, and then a troubleshooting guide if you couldn't record, and that gave the option to run an audio recording troubleshooter, which I did. It said it found a few problems but I couldn't tell if it had fixed them. I thought I'd set things back to the sound card and try again, and noticed that it the troubleshoot had set it back to the sound card already. So tried sound recorder and to my amazement, subhaanallah, alhamdulillah it worked, so I tried Hi-Q recorder, that I haven't been able to use for over 3 years, and that worked, tried audio recorder, and that worked as well, alhamdulillah. And so did Wavepad. This is nothing short of a miracle for me, but one brought about by finding out about Sound recorder in the first place, as per Br IbnAbdulHakim, and following number one that you'd suggested. Jazaakkumallah khayran katheera in this world and the hereafter, without limit, ameen thumma ameen.

Insaanah
10-11-2012, 10:20 AM

Does anyone have the problem of Adobe flash player crashing/freezing on Firefox?

I do all the updates regularly, and a few days ago got a Firefox page the other day showing all the plug-ins/add-ons that needed updating, and I updated flash player from there as well, but apart from the first few hours, the problem still persists. Whenever I go to a page that has an embedded video, Firefox freezes while it loads, for quite some time, and eventually only after some time can I scroll through the page or watch the video, but very often, it freezes for up to five minutes at a time, and where the video was embedded, it is greyed out, and it says Adobe flash player has crashed.

The Imams of the Haramain thread is a nightmare to visit because of this, even though I like to read it, and I know I'll be stuck there for ages.

Anyone have any ideas?

A-Brother
11-19-2012, 09:19 PM

Does anyone have the problem of Adobe flash player crashing/freezing on Firefox?

I do all the updates regularly, and a few days ago got a Firefox page the other day showing all the plug-ins/add-ons that needed updating, and I updated flash player from there as well, but apart from the first few hours, the problem still persists. Whenever I go to a page that has an embedded video, Firefox freezes while it loads, for quite some time, and eventually only after some time can I scroll through the page or watch the video, but very often, it freezes for up to five minutes at a time, and where the video was embedded, it is greyed out, and it says Adobe flash player has crashed.

The Imams of the Haramain thread is a nightmare to visit because of this, even though I like to read it, and I know I'll be stuck there for ages.

Anyone have any ideas?
Mazameer For Me Is The Same. If I Visit The Mazameer Muadhin Forum And Click The Main Thread Which Contains Dozens Of Videos On The First Page - Internet Suddenly Slows Down And I Have To Force Close The Tab As It Cant Take It.

islamica
11-20-2012, 01:10 AM

Anyone have any ideas?
wa'alaykum assalaam,

I was having similar problem a while back. I disabled the flash from the extensions and waited till a new flash upgrade came in from adobe and that seemed to solved the problem.

Endymion
11-23-2012, 12:47 PM
I got a problem :hmm: It started when I was trying to upload my niece's video on photobucket and it asked me to download a player.I clicked "download" button and dunno the player downloaded or not coz the problem remains the same or become a little bigger.Since that i have this babylon toolbar in my firefox which i disabled but when i click to some pages,it directly go to babylon search and siad,"this vidoe is not found on youtube,Try the suggestions below or type a new query above,while im not searching for any youtube video :skeleton:

Dunno how it gone insane :hmm: plz help ,its really irritating :heated:

Dagless
11-23-2012, 01:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
I got a problem :hmm: It started when I was trying to upload my niece's video on photobucket and it asked me to download a player.I clicked "download" button and dunno the player downloaded or not coz the problem remains the same or become a little bigger.Since that i have this babylon toolbar in my firefox which i disabled but when i click to some pages,it directly go to babylon search and siad,"this vidoe is not found on youtube,Try the suggestions below or type a new query above,while im not searching for any youtube video :skeleton:

Dunno how it gone insane :hmm: plz help ,its really irritating :heated:
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...-search-engine

Endymion
11-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Woha i did it yay :bravo: Im feeling like im a computer expert :awesome:

(Now im gonna inform my sis about my hidden skills and act like a super hero ;D

And oh,Lets not forget to thank Dagless

Dagless
11-23-2012, 07:04 PM

Muslim Woman
11-23-2015, 06:53 AM

I am not receiving any pm , e mail notifications . My computer is culprit here ??

ardianto
11-23-2015, 02:59 PM

I am not receiving any pm , e mail notifications . My computer is culprit here ??
I've sent a Test PM to you. If you are not receiving it, use another computer. If you are still not receiving, the problem is not in your computer.

Muslim Woman
11-23-2015, 03:44 PM

when i visit the forum , only then i get pm . but when i check my mail account , there is no notifications as i used to get earlier.

ardianto
11-23-2015, 04:03 PM

when i visit the forum , only then i get pm . but when i check my mail account , there is no notifications as i used to get earlier.

I disable my PM notification as test. Please send test PM to me.

Physicist
11-23-2015, 04:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
I've sent a Test PM to you. If you are not receiving it, use another computer. If you are still not receiving, the problem is not in your computer.
It has nothing to do with the user computer.
May be you just need to remove some old messages to free space.

Physicist
11-23-2015, 04:18 PM

Check the 'spam' folder.
Your email provider could enlist IB in the spam list.

Physicist
11-23-2015, 04:21 PM
This is it. In my gmail spam folder i found all notifications.

ardianto
11-23-2015, 04:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Physicist
It has nothing to do with the user computer.
I know.

format_quote Originally Posted by Physicist
Check the 'spam' folder.
Your email provider could enlist IB in the spam list.
Oops, I thought what she mean with mail account was PM folder in forum, not email. That's why I disable my PM notification because I wanted to know would I receive notification or not if I disable it.

;D

Muslim Woman
11-23-2015, 04:29 PM

i checked spam . no notifications :heated:

Muslim Woman
11-23-2015, 04:30 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
I know.

Oops, I thought what she mean with mail account was PM folder in forum, not email. That's why I disable my PM notification because I wanted to know would I receive notification or not if I disable it.

;D

sent u a test pm bro .

ardianto
11-23-2015, 04:33 PM

sent u a test pm bro .
I have received it. Jazakillah khayr, sister.

Physicist
11-23-2015, 04:43 PM

i checked spam . no notifications :heated:
Then probably your email provider is even silently rejecting emails from IB.

Actually it become a major problem and requires to reconsider registration policy for new users, because to activate an account, one need to receive confirmation email. When i was registering, it came to the spam folder as well.

This is not necessarily due to the evil intentions of your email provider, such filtration may happen on many stages, ie updated antispam software, which checking hostnames for abusive words and someone added 'Islam' in to the list, many reasons can be.

Btw, do you receive any emails at all?

Muslim Woman
11-28-2015, 04:47 PM

started receiving mails from IB , Alhamdulillah.

Jazakallah khair for trying to help me .

Mr.President
11-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Switch ur computer off and on it surely work :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.