/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Belief and Responsibility

Lynx
02-08-2010, 03:36 AM
This is intended for anyone who believes the following: God will send a person to hell if that person does not believe in God.

1.Hell is a punishment
2.If someone is punished for not doing x when x can't performed by that person, then the executioner of that punishment is unjust.
3.Nobody can choose what to believe or we would be able to choose not to believe 1+1=2
4.We can't choose not to believe in 1+1=2
5.Therefore, no one can choose what to believe (3,4)
6.God sends people to Hell for not believing in God
7. Therefore, God does something unjust (1-6)

Any takers !

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dagless
02-08-2010, 04:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lynx
This is intended for anyone who believes the following: God will send a person to hell if that person does not believe in God.

1.Hell is a punishment
2.If someone is punished for not doing x when x can't performed by that person, then the executioner of that punishment is unjust.
3.Nobody can choose what to believe or we would be able to choose not to believe 1+1=2

Any takers !
The things in bold are assumptions.

Lynx
02-08-2010, 04:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ferown
The things in bold are assumptions.
(2.) Is not actually not an assumption given that there is a verse in the Quran that says God does not create a task that a human is unable to perform. 2:286

As for (3.) and (4.) if (4.) is true then it follows from (3.) that We cannot choose to believe in something. Actually, you can also phrase 3 as follows:

3.If I can choose what I believe, then I can choose that 1+1=3 (or any not-1+1=2 equivalent).
4. I can't choose 1+1=3

(5) then follows from 3 & 4.

Are you going to argue that we can choose to believe that 1+1 does not equal 2? Go ahead.

Dagless
02-08-2010, 04:57 AM
(2.) Is not actually not an assumption given that there is a verse in the Quran that says God does not create a task that a human is unable to perform. 2:286

As for (3.) and (4.) if (4.) is true then it follows from (3.) that We cannot choose to believe in something. Actually, you can also phrase 3 as follows:

3.If I can choose what I believe, then I can choose that 1+1=3 (or any not-1+1=2 equivalent).
4. I can't choose 1+1=3

(5) then follows from 3 & 4.

Are you going to argue that we can choose to believe that 1+1 does not equal 2? Go ahead.
Though God does not test a human beyond his capability that is not the same as saying everyone will do everything expected of them. Just because a human can follow rules, doesn't mean a human will follow rules.

1+1=2 is an absolute belief. You can't use a formula for religious belief, its more abstract than that.

If I didn't want to believe 1+1=2, I could come up with alternatives. e.g. 3 thirds are 1. 1 third is equal to 0.33. Therefore 3 thirds are 0.99. 1 is actually 0.99.

1+1=2 is actually 0.99+0.99=1.98.

There are many reasons why that is wrong but anybody could choose to believe it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Lynx
02-08-2010, 05:53 AM
Though God does not test a human beyond his capability that is not the same as saying everyone will do everything expected of them. Just because a human can follow rules, doesn't mean a human will follow rules.
I know this. What I said was if someone can't do x then it is just unjust to punish them (implicitly because it ain't their fault for not being able to do x).

1+1=2 is an absolute belief. You can't use a formula for religious belief, its more abstract than that.

If I didn't want to believe 1+1=2, I could come up with alternatives. e.g. 3 thirds are 1. 1 third is equal to 0.33. Therefore 3 thirds are 0.99. 1 is actually 0.99.
Coming up with alternatives does not mean you actually subscribe to that alternative. In any case, what you're presenting as an 'alternative' is not really much of an alternative. You are saying 'no the sky is not blue it's light blue'. We are talking about distinct inconsistencies: God or No God. Sky is blue or it is not blue. 1+1=2 or it doesn't.

I think you can think about this on your own without having an argument presented to you. Do you think it's possible for someone to pick beliefs? If I gave you a set of beliefs such as: The Godfather is the greatest movie of all time; Batman is the best superhero; Communism is way better than capitalism; Airplanes are the safest mode of transportation. Are you telling me that you can choose to believe those at will? No, people believe when they are convinced and getting convinced is involuntary!

EVEN if you bite the bullet and say you can BELIEVE whatever you will yourself to believe then I have to say that I am afraid I lack that special ability. So at the very least, I am exempt from Hell if I am not Muslim because it would follow that God asks me to believe in him but I can't choose to simply believe in him therefore the above argument kicks in.

Dagless
02-08-2010, 06:06 AM
I know this. What I said was if someone can't do x then it is just unjust to punish them (implicitly because it ain't their fault for not being able to do x).
But the point is that everyone can do x.

Coming up with alternatives does not mean you actually subscribe to that alternative. In any case, what you're presenting as an 'alternative' is not really much of an alternative. You are saying 'no the sky is not blue it's light blue'. We are talking about distinct inconsistencies: God or No God. Sky is blue or it is not blue. 1+1=2 or it doesn't.

I think you can think about this on your own without having an argument presented to you. Do you think it's possible for someone to pick beliefs? If I gave you a set of beliefs such as: The Godfather is the greatest movie of all time; Batman is the best superhero; Communism is way better than capitalism; Airplanes are the safest mode of transportation. Are you telling me that you can choose to believe those at will? No, people believe when they are convinced and getting convinced is involuntary!

EVEN if you bite the bullet and say you can BELIEVE whatever you will yourself to believe then I have to say that I am afraid I lack that special ability. So at the very least, I am exempt from Hell if I am not Muslim because it would follow that God asks me to believe in him but I can't choose to simply believe in him therefore the above argument kicks in.
This is getting confusing. Nobody believes things just to believe them. Obviously that belief is based on something. Faith is not blind. You watch the Godfather, you list Batmans powers and compare them with other superheroes, you check out the statistics of various modes of travel. The same goes for religion. You read the Quran, you look at the Hadith.

The choice is made by you.

Your whole argument is based on assumptions anyway so it isn't sound. I didn't need to come up with the above argument at all, I could just have said:

1) God is all powerful.
2) Therefore everything God does is just.

Skavau
02-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Your whole argument is based on assumptions anyway so it isn't sound. I didn't need to come up with the above argument at all, I could just have said:

1) God is all powerful.
2) Therefore everything God does is just.
#2 does not follow from #1.

Unless you contend that 'just' means the exact same thing as 'power'. Which would in an isolated way, by this logic make any petty dictator with control just.

But on a point relevant to the discussion: Do you think it is possible for you to wake up, observe that it happens to be raining outside and then sincerely conclude that perhaps it is actually sunny outside.

Life_Is_Short
02-08-2010, 12:32 PM
God has sent many signs to remind us and help us understand the truth. He has shown us the problems that result from following the path of evil in this life and the hereafter, as He has shown us the benefits of following the path of righteousness.

So, after receiving countless messages, bounties, blessings and warnings, we still refuse to follow good advice out of our own free will, what should be the result? Would a person not have resigned his/her own fate to eternal misery, having refused to strive towards paradise? Were there no reward for good, what would encourage us to do good? Were there no punishment for evil, what would discourage us from doing evil things?

Read more: http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/...#ixzz0ewmXSeBW

Skavau
02-08-2010, 12:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
So, after receiving countless messages, bounties, blessings and warnings, we still refuse to follow good advice out of our own free will, what should be the result?
Nothing, really.

If I tell you that you should stop smoking, is it a humane thing to say that perhaps you might deserve the cancer that happens as a result?

Would a person not have resigned his/her own fate to eternal misery, having refused to strive towards paradise?
No.

I don't 'believe' that a paradise exists. I don't 'believe' that an eternal misery exists. I cannot 'resign myself' to either. I cannot be encouraged to strive towards something I do not believe exists.

Were there no reward for good, what would encourage us to do good? Were there no punishment for evil, what would discourage us from doing evil things?
What does this have to do with the proposed consequences of disbelief? I do not 'believe' that an objective reward for good exists, nor do I believe an objective punishment for evil exists either. I certainly cannot be led to believe that simply holding incorrect ideals to be true as reason for eternal anguish.

zakirs
02-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Nothing, really.

If I tell you that you should stop smoking, is it a humane thing to say that perhaps you might deserve the cancer that happens as a result?
Well if i said you would contract some allergy if you ate a kind of food and you ignored my warnings and had that then it would be bad ON YOUR PART to cry that i have caused you the misery.

I don't 'believe' that a paradise exists. I don't 'believe' that an eternal misery exists. I cannot 'resign myself' to either. I cannot be encouraged to strive towards something I do not believe exists
Then why do you care abt all this ? . If you say "i don't care my studying would help in my quiz ", then fine do it as you wish.But you should not complain after quiz that you got bad marks.

What does this have to do with the proposed consequences of disbelief? I do not 'believe' that an objective reward for good exists, nor do I believe an objective punishment for evil exists either. I certainly cannot be led to believe that simply holding incorrect ideals to be true as reason for eternal anguish.
If it is your belief then why do you care so much about your future.See the simple fact is two people ( one who has done a ton of good and lived in misery and one who has killed many throughout his life are not equal.So something has to equate them. that is where after life comes into picture )

Alpha Dude
02-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Lynx, I'm having a terrible time understanding your argument. I think you've worded what you have to say really badly.

Please explain 3, 4, 5 more precisely and unconfusingly.

Skavau
02-08-2010, 01:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zakir
Well if i said you would contract some allergy if you ate a kind of food and you ignored my warnings and had that then it would be bad ON YOUR PART to cry that i have caused you the misery.
Yes. Indeed, if you had the knowledge that eating a certain food would cause you to die and then went on to eat it - then you would be at fault. However if you did not know that you had an allergy to this food and then went on to eat it - then you are effectively, innocent of incompetence.

Then why do you care abt all this ? . If you say "i don't care my studying would help in my quiz ", then fine do it as you wish.But you should not complain after quiz that you got bad marks.
I care about this 'cos I like debating these things. Nothing major.

Moreover, your quiz analogy is defunct. To participate in a quiz is optional. The place in eternity, according to Muslims is not.

If it is your belief then why do you care so much about your future.See the simple fact is two people ( one who has done a ton of good and lived in misery and one who has killed many throughout his life are not equal.So something has to equate them. that is where after life comes into picture )
Sure

A punishment for someone who has killed is something that would perhaps be nice. A reward for someone who has done good is something that would perhaps be nice.

I cannot however, I don't think, be led to believe that there should exist a punishment for what you think.

aamirsaab
02-08-2010, 02:36 PM

1.Hell is a punishment

Any takers !
3 - 1+1= 2 is a fact. If you don't believe it, you either don't understand it or you're being deliberately obtuse.
4 - You can, but that specific argument is dumb. 1 + 1 = 2 makes logical sense. You do not need to be a philosopher to understand that concept.
5 - You can chose everything and anything you believe in. Chosing not to believe in 1+1=2 is because either you don't understand it or are being obtuse. In most cases it is the former.
6 - God, in this argument, would be sending the obtuse ones to Hell.
7 - So God has done no injustice. He's rewarded those who accepted 1 + 1 = 2 and punished those who were obtuse about it. Those who didn't understand were not punished.

Dagless
02-08-2010, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skavau
#2 does not follow from #1.

Unless you contend that 'just' means the exact same thing as 'power'. Which would in an isolated way, by this logic make any petty dictator with control just.

But on a point relevant to the discussion: Do you think it is possible for you to wake up, observe that it happens to be raining outside and then sincerely conclude that perhaps it is actually sunny outside.
The term all powerful means more than just dictating things. How about 1) God is perfect in every way. 2) Humans are imperfect. 3) Everything God does is the definition of just.

Yes. Indeed, if you had the knowledge that eating a certain food would cause you to die and then went on to eat it - then you would be at fault. However if you did not know that you had an allergy to this food and then went on to eat it - then you are effectively, innocent of incompetence.
How is this different from religion? You are being bombarded by religion every day on this very forum. Therefore the knowledge is certainly there. Whether its clear enough or not only God knows. As aamirsaab has already stated; if you live out in the jungle and are not aware (eg. nobody told you that you had an allergy) obviously this will be taken into account.

Skavau
02-08-2010, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
3 - 1+1= 2 is a fact. If you don't believe it, you either don't understand it or you're being deliberately obtuse.
I can accept someone not believing 1+1=2 as fact as someone who does not understand it.

But you appear to have missed the point, if you understand that 1+1=2 is factual can you actually 'choose' not forgo that understanding and begin to claim that it is not?

4 - You can, but that specific argument is dumb. 1 + 1 = 2 makes logical sense. You do not need to be a philosopher to understand that concept.
How can you? See above question. If you seriously claim that one can believe anything, for any reason then you make a mockery of sincerity and understanding.

5 - You can chose everything and anything you believe in. Chosing not to believe in 1+1=2 is because either you don't understand it or are being obtuse. In most cases it is the former.
You haven't given a reasonable argument as to how belief is always a choice.

6 - God, in this argument, would be sending the obtuse ones to Hell.
I will firstly ask if you believe people who do not believe in a God are sincere and honest about their objections. I will then ask why you deem it permissable, perhaps in any circumstance to punish people for being incorrect about their understanding of the world - no matter how obtuse or inconsistent they are about it.

7 - So God has done no injustice. He's rewarded those who accepted 1 + 1 = 2 and punished those who were obtuse about it. Those who didn't understand were not punished.
You must know my question to this.

How is this just?

Skavau
02-08-2010, 05:30 PM
The term all powerful means more than just dictating things. How about 1) God is perfect in every way. 2) Humans are imperfect. 3) Everything God does is the definition of just.
For #3, what do you mean when you say 'just'? I know now that you believe that everything God does is just but I don't know what you consider the term 'just' to mean.

If indeed, anything God does or could choose to do is 'just' then how can you claim to embody a moral world view? Any action by this logic could be taken by God and always under all circumstances be considered 'just'.

It certainly brings a new ironic twist to the overused pronouncement that "without god, all thing are possible".

How is this different from religion? You are being bombarded by religion every day on this very forum. Therefore the knowledge is certainly there. Whether its clear enough or not only God knows. As aamirsaab has already stated; if you live out in the jungle and are not aware (eg. nobody told you that you had an allergy) obviously this will be taken into account.
I am being bombarded (well, not really)... I am being made aware of more than just Islam. At the perspective of skepticism - what grounds do I have to choose Islam over any others? You may claim that Islam is the truth, but people of all other faiths make the same claim about their perspective with sometimes identical punishments for rejection of it.

aamirsaab
02-08-2010, 05:52 PM
I can accept someone not believing 1+1=2 as fact as someone who does not understand it.

But you appear to have missed the point, if you understand that 1+1=2 is factual can you actually 'choose' not forgo that understanding and begin to claim that it is not?
I don't know what you are saying.

How can you? See above question. If you seriously claim that one can believe anything, for any reason then you make a mockery of sincerity and understanding.
Theoretically, you can chose to believe anything and everything. Practically, we go with the flow e.g peer pressure, conformity etc.

Do you accept 1+1=2?
Two outcomes:
Yes
No

By belief I am referring to acceptance.

I will firstly ask if you believe people who do not believe in a God are sincere and honest about their objections.
Some don't have the same info/life experiences I do. I.e they've only been told +1=
Others do have the full info but reject and mock it instead. I.e they've been told 1+1=2, they just won't accept it.

..I will then ask why you deem it permissable, perhaps in any circumstance to punish people for being incorrect about their understanding of the world - no matter how obtuse or inconsistent they are about it.
If I have presented to you the logistics of 1+1 = 2 and you say no it isn't (arguments akin to stick my fingers in my ears and say la la la) you are being obtuse. You plus revision equals passing your exam. If you don't accept that and then don't revise, you fail the test.

How is this just?
There's nothing wrong with the obtuse guy's memory or brain functions, it is simply a matter of acceptance. The one who accepted 1+1=2 got the reward (or passed the test, because he revised!). The one who rejected that got a punishment (failed the test because he didn't revise) - he thought he was being clever, no he was being obtuse and failed.

Dagless
02-09-2010, 12:04 AM

I will firstly ask if you believe people who do not believe in a God are sincere and honest about their objections. I will then ask why you deem it permissable, perhaps in any circumstance to punish people for being incorrect about their understanding of the world - no matter how obtuse or inconsistent they are about it.

How is this just?
The person looks at 1+1=2, he see's the arguments for and against and then CHOOSES which he deems to be more correct. He can believe anything but has CHOSEN to believe what he thinks is more correct by looking at what makes sense to him.

You are looking at it after the choice is made and trying to confuse matters. Saying to the man AFTER he has seen that 1+1=2 is the choice which makes most sense, you ask him to choose not to believe it - the implication being that he does not have free choice if he cannot change his belief. This is incorrect because belief is based on fact.

If I flip a coin and it lands heads you would say "oh there was no chance because it landed heads". You are looking at it after the fact.

I don't know about the last question because I am not the judge, but we can change the question slightly and see if you think a similar way outside of religion. For example, we all know murder is wrong, therefore if someone commits murder they can't be thinking straight. By your logic just the fact they commited the murder removes all blame from the murderer. He was honest and sincere in the murder but its ok, he just misinterpreted some key info.

I am being bombarded (well, not really)... I am being made aware of more than just Islam. At the perspective of skepticism - what grounds do I have to choose Islam over any others? You may claim that Islam is the truth, but people of all other faiths make the same claim about their perspective with sometimes identical punishments for rejection of it.
and you say there's no choice :p

Lynx
02-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Before I respond to the posts here I want to clarify what 'justice' means because the standard response theists like to make is to change meanings of words to fit their beliefs. Love is not love as we know it, justice is not justice as we know it, etc. (Echoing David Hume, if your attributes of God are so incomprehensible as to fly in the very face of any human conception of these attributes then on what basis do you even make ANY claims of God? But I digress).

I quoted a verse from the Quran:

" On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns." 2:286.

So God has committed himself to not punishing people for things they cannot do and believing Islam is not something someone can do by choice. So if they happen to be unconvinced then God has agreed not to punish them since they are incapable of otherwise. The MAIN POINT with this verse is that we have a clear of idea of what God is Supposed to do (unless you bite the ultimate bullet and say God can lie because he is God)

Ferown:

The person looks at 1+1=2, he see's the arguments for and against and then CHOOSES which he deems to be more correct. He can believe anything but has CHOSEN to believe what he thinks is more correct by looking at what makes sense to him.
So you think that people can just choose to believe that the Sun does not exist? Convincing precludes choice. Either I am convinced and I don't admit it or I am convinced and I do admit it or I am unconvinced but I don't consciously say to myself "I will not believe this even though it appears to be true". It's impossible. You can easily test out my argument by trying to choose to believe that there is a bogeyman in your closet. Try it. If you can't choose to believe that then my argument is sound.

and you say there's no choice
No his message did not imply any choice being made. Skavu simply said people claim that their faith is true. They are convinced by it.

Theoretically, you can chose to believe anything and everything. Practically, we go with the flow e.g peer pressure, conformity etc.
So you have the ability to pick your beliefs? Wow, so if you see a really crappy movie you can choose to believe it's a good movie and start enjoying it all of a sudden? That's amazing.

Alpha Male:

I am not sure how much more accurately I can explain 3 & 4. What specifically don't you get? Maybe if you read some of the others posts here it will clarify what I am getting. Basically what I am saying is that (3) If we can choose what we believe then we would be able to believe in any absurd statement including 1+1=3. but (4) We can't believe that any absurd statement just by choosing SO it follows that We can't choose what we believe.

aamirsaab
02-09-2010, 09:58 AM
So you have the ability to pick your beliefs? Wow, so if you see a really crappy movie you can choose to believe it's a good movie and start enjoying it all of a sudden? That's amazing.
Of course you pick your beliefs! You are capable of thought, right? Or am I talking to a robot here.

Some people love the 1st Transformers movie, yet at a script/core level it sucks.

edit: the fact that you yourself apostacised from Islam, indicates you did pick a belief!

Skavau
02-09-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't know what you are saying.
That sir, is because I made a typo. My apologies. I meant to ask:

"But you appear to have missed the point, if you understand that 1+1=2 is factual can you actually 'choose' to forgo that understanding and begin to claim that it is not?"

Actually, you haven't given a convincing argument that you can choose to believe anything and everything. You have merely claimed that it is so.

Do you accept 1+1=2?
Two outcomes:
Yes
No

By belief I am referring to acceptance.
Right.

So do you think it is possible for me to forgo my understanding of 1+1=2 and suddenly claim that it is false?

Some don't have the same info/life experiences I do. I.e they've only been told +1=
Others do have the full info but reject and mock it instead. I.e they've been told 1+1=2, they just won't accept it.
So (considering this simple analogy of 1+1=2) you believe that there are people out there who know there is a God and that Islam is true, but then decide to arbitrarily mock and reject it? What do you imagine could be their motivation?

And do you think there are people who think Christianity is true, and mock/reject it?

If I have presented to you the logistics of 1+1 = 2 and you say no it isn't (arguments akin to stick my fingers in my ears and say la la la) you are being obtuse. You plus revision equals passing your exam. If you don't accept that and then don't revise, you fail the test.
What does this have to do with my question? We don't torture people who fail exams. We don't send them to a pit of annihilation for eternity. They can always try and go for it again. What a ridiculous parody of education.

There's nothing wrong with the obtuse guy's memory or brain functions, it is simply a matter of acceptance. The one who accepted 1+1=2 got the reward (or passed the test, because he revised!). The one who rejected that got a punishment (failed the test because he didn't revise) - he thought he was being clever, no he was being obtuse and failed.
Actually, we don't inflict punishment of people who are obtuse, lazy or lacking faculties in their subject of study. No self-respecting educational establishment would ever do anything like that.

Skavau
02-09-2010, 01:10 PM
No.

He is convinced. You are half there. You say that he decides based on what he "thinks is more correct" - but what you think is more correct is not a judgment you come to based on arbitrary choice. What you think is correct comes from your observation of the evidence and your understanding that you have gathered in life.

If I look outside of my window in the morning (you've not addressed this by the way) and observe that it happens to be raining - do you seriously think that I can be led to sincerely believe that it is a bright sunny day outside?

My own perspective on this is no - I cannot. I could sarcastically claim that it is sunny. I could joke that it is sunny, I could even in general sit in denial and claim that it sunny. But if I have already been convinced it is raining I cannot change my beliefs on the matter until convinced that the weather has actually changed.

You are looking at it after the choice is made and trying to confuse matters. Saying to the man AFTER he has seen that 1+1=2 is the choice which makes most sense, you ask him to choose not to believe it - the implication being that he does not have free choice if he cannot change his belief. This is incorrect because belief is based on fact.
It is the way to demonstrate that belief is based on being convinced of things, and not an arbitrary flip-flop as people here like to pretend it is. If, for any reason I cannot be led to believe something is not true - then I cannot claim that my belief in that something something wholly of my choice.

Ever wonder why the word 'stubborn' exists? It would have no credibility as a term if belief was a complete choice.

If I flip a coin and it lands heads you would say "oh there was no chance because it landed heads". You are looking at it after the fact.
That is a misrepresentation of my argument. I am talking about the nature of belief, not coin-flipping.

I don't know about the last question because I am not the judge, but we can change the question slightly and see if you think a similar way outside of religion. For example, we all know murder is wrong, therefore if someone commits murder they can't be thinking straight. By your logic just the fact they commited the murder removes all blame from the murderer. He was honest and sincere in the murder but its ok, he just misinterpreted some key info.
If they're not thinking straight, then we can just isolate them from society until we are convinced that they are no longer a threat to other people. Murder is a direct threat to the well-being of a community. We do not isolate murderers from society because of revenge - but because they pose a direct impact to other people.

Belief or nonbelief is hardly something comparable to that. In addition, what murderers do we mercilessly torture for their entire lives? What murderers do we force to live in everlasting agony?

and you say there's no choice
What grounds do I have to distinguish the claims of Muslims over the claims made by all other religious beliefs from a skeptical perspective?

aamirsaab
02-09-2010, 02:28 PM
"But you appear to have missed the point, if you understand that 1+1=2 is factual can you actually 'choose' to forgo that understanding and begin to claim that it is not?"
Yes, it is called denial. People do it every day.

So (considering this simple analogy of 1+1=2) you believe that there are people out there who know there is a God and that Islam is true, but then decide to arbitrarily mock and reject it? What do you imagine could be their motivation?
No, I said they got the full message i.e they were told 1 + 1 = 2 i.e they were told to revise for the exam. They chose to reject it and thus failed the exam.

What does this have to do with my question? We don't torture people who fail exams. We don't send them to a pit of annihilation for eternity. They can always try and go for it again. What a ridiculous parody of education.
The concept is pass or fail.

Exam has a limited time, usually one day, but the reward or punishment can be seen as you get a good job or you get a crap job.

If you didn't revise for your exams and you fail as a result, you get a crap job.

If you do revise for your exams and you pass, you should be entitled to a (better) job that someone who failed isn't.

You are arguing that the one who didn't revise and thus failed shouldn't get a crap job, because apparently that isn't fair or just.

Actually, we don't inflict punishment of people who are obtuse, lazy or lacking faculties in their subject of study. No self-respecting educational establishment would ever do anything like that.
And we don't reward those who pass with paradise, either.
The point I am making is pass or failure. The analogy only goes so far because we are comparing the outcome of a school test with the outcome of a life test, in the interest of argument. But, that's the inherent problem with anologies.

Dagless
02-09-2010, 07:26 PM
" On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns." 2:286.

So God has committed himself to not punishing people for things they cannot do and believing Islam is not something someone can do by choice. So if they happen to be unconvinced then God has agreed not to punish them since they are incapable of otherwise. The MAIN POINT with this verse is that we have a clear of idea of what God is Supposed to do (unless you bite the ultimate bullet and say God can lie because he is God)
You are doing what a lot of non-believers do, and that is taking a verse out of context. Before this verse it was said that Allah knew everything in believers hearts and whether they acted upon it or not they would be judged. The believers then became very worried because if this was done they feared nobody would pass the test. THEN this verse (2:286) was revealed. It was a verse for those already believing (I'm sure those more learned than myself can give an even more detailed explanation). Even without this explanation though, it has been stated throughout the Quran that the biggest sin is not believing in the oneness of God.

Believing is a choice based on information. Everything is a choice based on information. If you can't accept that then how can you say anyone chooses anything?

Ferown:

So you think that people can just choose to believe that the Sun does not exist? Convincing precludes choice. Either I am convinced and I don't admit it or I am convinced and I do admit it or I am unconvinced but I don't consciously say to myself "I will not believe this even though it appears to be true". It's impossible. You can easily test out my argument by trying to choose to believe that there is a bogeyman in your closet. Try it. If you can't choose to believe that then my argument is sound.
How does convincing preclude choice? You are given information which you then process to come to a conclusion. Either the information convinces you or it does not convince you. Your mind chooses if you are convinced or not.
The information that the sun exists is overwhelming for most people because you can see the sun, you can feel the sun, etc. Therefore the evidence against the Sun existing is less than that for it existing. Most people would agree that it exists.

Your example is a very black and white one. How about belief there is life on other planets? This is a more uncertain one. Some people see the facts and say yes they believe there is life on other planets, while others see the same facts and say no there probably isn't life. Each person saw the same facts, and each person made up their own mind. It was their decision. It was their choice.

If you do not agree with this then you do not agree there is choice in anything... which again leads to you believing crimes are not a persons fault.

Dagless
02-09-2010, 07:46 PM
No.

He is convinced. You are half there. You say that he decides based on what he "thinks is more correct" - but what you think is more correct is not a judgment you come to based on arbitrary choice. What you think is correct comes from your observation of the evidence and your understanding that you have gathered in life.
It's the same thing. You are half there. I agree that what you think is correct comes from evidence and understanding (although some is hardwired too).

If I look outside of my window in the morning (you've not addressed this by the way) and observe that it happens to be raining - do you seriously think that I can be led to sincerely believe that it is a bright sunny day outside?

My own perspective on this is no - I cannot. I could sarcastically claim that it is sunny. I could joke that it is sunny, I could even in general sit in denial and claim that it sunny. But if I have already been convinced it is raining I cannot change my beliefs on the matter until convinced that the weather has actually changed.

It is the way to demonstrate that belief is based on being convinced of things, and not an arbitrary flip-flop as people here like to pretend it is. If, for any reason I cannot be led to believe something is not true - then I cannot claim that my belief in that something something wholly of my choice.
This is a bad example because you can confirm its raining by going outside or simply sticking your hand outside the window. If you are trying to say that you see and feel it raining even though its not then there is some kind of mental problem and you cannot be held responsible for knowing the weather.

Maybe you want God to stand in front of you so you can believe without doubt? Humans can work out things without needing an actual demo to see if they are viable or not. You can imagine the sunshine and compare it to the rain.

That is a misrepresentation of my argument. I am talking about the nature of belief, not coin-flipping.
It is an analogy to show that you are picking up the argument after the choice has been made. I also think 1+1=2 is a misrepresentation of the argument because it is an absolute demonstrable thing of the material world.

Belief or nonbelief is hardly something comparable to that. In addition, what murderers do we mercilessly torture for their entire lives? What murderers do we force to live in everlasting agony?
Prison is merciless torture. Death row is merciless torture.

What grounds do I have to distinguish the claims of Muslims over the claims made by all other religious beliefs from a skeptical perspective?
You base it on the facts. Facts meaning that which can be proven (or disproven) outright in a demonstrable way and that which can be proven or disproven through logic.

Skavau
02-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Yes, it is called denial. People do it every day.
Being in the state of denial would not exist if belief was, as you claim entirely motivated by choice. When someone is in denial of something, they are going through cognitive dissonance. They are having problems connecting something they want to believe is true, with something they are being led to believe (through evidence) is true.

No, I said they got the full message i.e they were told 1 + 1 = 2 i.e they were told to revise for the exam. They chose to reject it and thus failed the exam.
Is this a direct parallel to what you think non-muslims have been told? That we have been told that Islam is true, and must work from there? We reject this, and we are deserving of whatever happens from then on?

If this is so, then it is incomparable to the overused exam analogy.

The concept is pass or fail.

Exam has a limited time, usually one day, but the reward or punishment can be seen as you get a good job or you get a crap job.
There's no punishment for failing an exam. Nor reward. Only potential opportunities and loss of opportunities.

If you didn't revise for your exams and you fail as a result, you get a crap job.

If you do revise for your exams and you pass, you should be entitled to a (better) job that someone who failed isn't.

You are arguing that the one who didn't revise and thus failed shouldn't get a crap job, because apparently that isn't fair or just.
No, I am not arguing that. I am stating that the examination analogy that has been proposed by some here in order to 'justify' punishment for belief or non-belief is a horrific parody towards education and is not even comparable to what is being proposed.

Again: We don't torture people who fail exams. We don't send them to a pit of annihilation for eternity. They can always try and go for it again.

And we don't reward those who pass with paradise, either.
The point I am making is pass or failure. The analogy only goes so far because we are comparing the outcome of a school test with the outcome of a life test, in the interest of argument. But, that's the inherent problem with anologies.
The analogy doesn't do 'justice' (no pun intended). There is nothing in human history that can be declared with the declaration that punishment in the afterlife is or can be acceptable for certain things.

Skavau
02-09-2010, 11:49 PM
It's the same thing. You are half there. I agree that what you think is correct comes from evidence and understanding (although some is hardwired too)
So you agree? What we believe is true is formulated from our own understanding of things that are true?

This is a bad example because you can confirm its raining by going outside or simply sticking your hand outside the window. If you are trying to say that you see and feel it raining even though its not then there is some kind of mental problem and you cannot be held responsible for knowing the weather.
No it isn't a bad example. I could use almost any example on things we passively accept as true and demonstrate the same thing. You have just, by dismissing my example - confirmed my example. You have just conceded that no, you cannot be led to believe that it is not raining when you can observe that it is.

So where in this factor is belief an actual choice?

It is an analogy to show that you are picking up the argument after the choice has been made. I also think 1+1=2 is a misrepresentation of the argument because it is an absolute demonstrable thing of the material world.
Right. How obvious it may seem to you does not matter. The point is, and always was that someone who understands it to be true cannot at will forgo that understanding and declare that it is not.

Prison is merciless torture. Death row is merciless torture.
Prison is not merciless torture. Prisons ought to exist purely for the humane seperation of troublesome members of society. Death row can possibly produce psychological torture for some - but indeed neither are setup to insist upon or encourage torture.

Hell, according to Muslims generally is. And many seem to feel that it is good for it doing so.

You base it on the facts. Facts meaning that which can be proven (or disproven) outright in a demonstrable way and that which can be proven or disproven through logic.
Right.

So what if I come to conclude that perhaps Christianity is factual? Or Hinduism?

Lynx
02-10-2010, 05:58 AM
You are doing what a lot of non-believers do, and that is taking a verse out of context. Before this verse it was said that Allah knew everything in believers hearts and whether they acted upon it or not they would be judged. The believers then became very worried because if this was done they feared nobody would pass the test. THEN this verse (2:286) was revealed. It was a verse for those already believing (I'm sure those more learned than myself can give an even more detailed explanation). Even without this explanation though, it has been stated throughout the Quran that the biggest sin is not believing in the oneness of God.

Believing is a choice based on information. Everything is a choice based on information. If you can't accept that then how can you say anyone chooses anything?

How does convincing preclude choice? You are given information which you then process to come to a conclusion. Either the information convinces you or it does not convince you. Your mind chooses if you are convinced or not.
The information that the sun exists is overwhelming for most people because you can see the sun, you can feel the sun, etc. Therefore the evidence against the Sun existing is less than that for it existing. Most people would agree that it exists.

Your example is a very black and white one. How about belief there is life on other planets? This is a more uncertain one. Some people see the facts and say yes they believe there is life on other planets, while others see the same facts and say no there probably isn't life. Each person saw the same facts, and each person made up their own mind. It was their decision. It was their choice.

If you do not agree with this then you do not agree there is choice in anything... which again leads to you believing crimes are not a persons fault.

No I think I have a choice to either pick up the ball infront of me or not pick up the ball infront of me. What I am saying we don't have a choice in is what to believe or not to believe. When we are convinced we don't consciously say 'okay I will choose to believe now'. I posed a challenge to you earlier and this can easily solve the argument; find an absurd belief and choose to believe in it. If you can't then you've proven my point. I won't hold my breath.

Aamir:

Of course you pick your beliefs! You are capable of thought, right? Or am I talking to a robot here.

Some people love the 1st Transformers movie, yet at a script/core level it sucks.

edit: the fact that you yourself apostacised from Islam, indicates you did pick a belief!
So, here's the challenge I posed to Ferown; choose to believe that Transformers 1 has a good script. Tell me when you're in sincere belief of that statement. If you can't then you've proven my argument to be sound.

As a general statement to everyone...you can easily test out my argument and try to choose beliefs you normally don't believe in. If you find that you are unable to start believing in something then you shouldn't be disagreeing with my argument here! Simple as that !

aamirsaab
02-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Being in the state of denial would not exist if belief was, as you claim entirely motivated by choice. When someone is in denial of something, they are going through cognitive dissonance. They are having problems connecting something they want to believe is true, with something they are being led to believe (through evidence) is true.
What?
People lie and deny because they actively chose to. They read something or heard something they didn't like, refused it was true and believed otherwise.

Is this a direct parallel to what you think non-muslims have been told? That we have been told that Islam is true, and must work from there? We reject this, and we are deserving of whatever happens from then on?

If this is so, then it is incomparable to the overused exam analogy.
As I said before, not everyone has been told Islam is the truth. So obviously it is not always the case. But, to those who have been presented Islam in its entirety, then yes one would be deserving of whatever happens from then on!

No, I am not arguing that. I am stating that the examination analogy that has been proposed by some here in order to 'justify' punishment for belief or non-belief is a horrific parody towards education and is not even comparable to what is being proposed.

Again: We don't torture people who fail exams. We don't send them to a pit of annihilation for eternity. They can always try and go for it again.
And you can always try and go for the religious test again, you have until you die. Average life span in the UK is around 50; plenty of time to decide whether or not Islam is true.
The analogy doesn't do 'justice' (no pun intended). There is nothing in human history that can be declared with the declaration that punishment in the afterlife is or can be acceptable for certain things.
Yet the OP decided to base it on 1+1=2. Throw me a bone here.

So, here's the challenge I posed to Ferown; choose to believe that Transformers 1 has a good script. Tell me when you're in sincere belief of that statement. If you can't then you've proven my argument to be sound.
It has a good script because Optimus prime gets to kick major decepticon ass. He kills Bonecrusher with a freakin sword AFTER chasing him 20 miles in his bad-ass truck form ON A MOTORWAY!!!!

Oh and Jazz, man he is the coolest melon-farmer this side of cybertron. He calls a decepticon a punk, and then kicks him. Then, he takes on Megatron, who is 3 times his size, all by himself. But then megatron breaks him in half. I was so sad, I cried.

There's so much action and bombastic sounds in transformers, it literally made me **** my pants.

At times I was happy and at times I got emotional. This movie had it all, 5 stars.

It doesn't matter if you don't agree with me, this is what I believe. Plus, you cannot prove the (lack of) sincerity in my comments.

As a general statement to everyone...you can easily test out my argument and try to choose beliefs you normally don't believe in. If you find that you are unable to start believing in something then you shouldn't be disagreeing with my argument here! Simple as that !
I chose to stop believing you are an apostate and simply an imposer.

Wow it worked!

Counter-argument: if what you say is true that belief is not a choice, please explain the converts/reverts to a religion who are quite clearly making a choice to believe in such religion.

Skavau
02-10-2010, 01:03 PM
What?
People lie and deny because they actively chose to. They read something or heard something they didn't like, refused it was true and believed otherwise.
Yes, you can choose to lie and deny things. But being in denial of something is not the same as sincerely disbelieving or believing in something.

What you describe above here is simply a confirmation bias.

As I said before, not everyone has been told Islam is the truth. So obviously it is not always the case. But, to those who have been presented Islam in its entirety, then yes one would be deserving of whatever happens from then on!
Presumably that means very few non-muslims then.

And you can always try and go for the religious test again, you have until you die. Average life span in the UK is around 50; plenty of time to decide whether or not Islam is true.
Average life span in the UK is up to 80.

But anyway, you can decide, sure - but what motivation do you have for someone who is not a muslim, not interested in religion and sees no particular relevance of any religion at all. How could you convince them to spend a lifetime gaining a confirmation bias for Islam until they convince themselves it is true?

(And by the way, if you could just 'choose' to believe anything - then your suggestion that people have to work to get to Islam like in an exam would not be necessary. People could believe at the drop of a hat).

Yet the OP decided to base it on 1+1=2. Throw me a bone here.
I was referring to the school examination analogy.

The 1+1=2 analogy is simple enough for what it needs to do. To demonstrate that you cannot just believe what you like, for any reason.

Counter-argument: if what you say is true that belief is not a choice, please explain the converts/reverts to a religion who are quite clearly making a choice to believe in such religion.
That's not a counter-argument.

If someone changes religius belief that have seen new things in their life that make them convinced that said religious belief is valuable, necessary, desirable or infallible. Or all four.

I myself, could not just become a Muslim, or a Hindu, or a Scientologist because I am not convinced that the claims of these religions (cult is the latter) are actually true. I cannot become convinced of these religions until I see empirical evidence or a logical argument demonstrating their validity. I could at best develop some confirmation bias (a desire for one of those beliefs to be true) and begin looking for evidence to confirm those beliefs - I would however only be fooling myself and would eventually end up going into cognitive dissonance.

By the way, cognitive dissonance is what apostates go through. They find they can no longer connect their belief system with reality, so they begin trying to find out how they can. On failure, they go into cognitive dissonance and eventually they concede and apostate from their belief system. Both reverting to a religion or leaving a religion come from a change in understanding of the world. They are not motivated by arbitrary choice, or frivolous interest.

aamirsaab
02-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Yes, you can choose to lie and deny things. But being in denial of something is not the same as sincerely disbelieving or believing in something.

What you describe above here is simply a confirmation bias.
Look, you don't believe in the existence of hell right. So there we go, you chose to not believe in it. I do believe in hell - I chose to accept that concept.

But anyway, you can decide, sure - but what motivation do you have for someone who is not a muslim, not interested in religion and sees no particular relevance of any religion at all. How could you convince them to spend a lifetime gaining a confirmation bias for Islam until they convince themselves it is true?
The only motivation I have in such a case would be to save that person from the torment of hell, which I believe does exist.
How I would convince them would be through my actions i.e following the practices of Islam. If they are still not convinced, then it is no longer my problem as far as I am concerned. Some people just won't be convinced.

It's like a person who drinks alcohol even after his doctor has told him drinking this stuff will kill you. There's only so much he can do.

(And by the way, if you could just 'choose' to believe anything - then your suggestion that people have to work to get to Islam like in an exam would not be necessary. People could believe at the drop of a hat).
All that determines whether or not you go to paradise in Islam is the belief in God and His messengers. That's how simple it is.

The exam suggestion was merely an example of answering a question: do you believe in Allah and His message? Only difference this had to 1+1=2 is that this one included an outcome, whereas OP had no outcome but was trying to compare with one that DID. Ergo, OP argument fails as an analogy.

The 1+1=2 analogy is simple enough for what it needs to do. To demonstrate that you cannot just believe what you like, for any reason.
It does not do what it needs to do. 1+1=2 analogy has no good or bad outcome. The closest comparison would be an exam because that includes a good or bad outcome dependant on the answer! Remember, we are comparing this to the religion test, where the outcome encorporates good and bad. So 1+1=2 does not work unless it has a good or bad outcome avec the exam version!

That's not a counter-argument.
Yes it is. You are just contradicting everything I say. Perhaps you are in denial?

If someone changes religius belief that have seen new things in their life that make them convinced that said religious belief is valuable, necessary, desirable or infallible. Or all four.
It is still a belief!

...By the way, cognitive dissonance is what apostates go through. They find they can no longer connect their belief system with reality, so they begin trying to find out how they can. On failure, they go into cognitive dissonance and eventually they concede and apostate from their belief system. Both reverting to a religion or leaving a religion come from a change in understanding of the world. They are not motivated by arbitrary choice, or frivolous interest.
All this is semantics. A belief doesn't have to be true or false - it is what it is: a belief!

Skavau
02-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Look, you don't believe in the existence of hell right. So there we go, you chose to not believe in it. I do believe in hell - I chose to accept that concept.
Okay. Although as you know, I would dispute whether I 'choose' to not believe in hell.

That's not what is entirely being disputed at the moment. The topic is about the nature of belief, and whether it can be considered a choice.

The only motivation I have in such a case would be to save that person from the torment of hell, which I believe does exist.
How I would convince them would be through my actions i.e following the practices of Islam. If they are still not convinced, then it is no longer my problem as far as I am concerned. Some people just won't be convinced.

It's like a person who drinks alcohol even after his doctor has told him drinking this stuff will kill you. There's only so much he can do.
Okay

All that determines whether or not you go to paradise in Islam is the belief in God and His messengers. That's how simple it is.
Well, if we were to focus entirely on the original post's complaint: that determination is completely unfair due to the fact that people's beliefs are determined by their understanding of the world. People, in most instances simply cannot be convinced that Islam is true. They cannot change this until they see sufficient evidence to convince them.

To then set up a criteria by which those unconvinced will suffer is indeed, and I know we've argued semantics over this before - is the proposal of thought-crime. You can be punished for not believing. Your fate lies based on your belief(s) (or lack of).

The exam suggestion was merely an example of answering a question: do you believe in Allah and His message? Only difference this had to 1+1=2 is that this one included an outcome, whereas OP had no outcome but was trying to compare with one that DID. Ergo, OP argument fails as an analogy.
Again, to propose that someone be punished for eternity for what they believe or don't believe is something that is wholly incomparable to anything we have produced in real life.

And no, Lynx produced the 1+1=2 analogy to show that you cannot believe things arbitrarily. He was making a point on the nature of belief.

It does not do what it needs to do. 1+1=2 analogy has no good or bad outcome. The closest comparison would be an exam because that includes a good or bad outcome dependant on the answer! Remember, we are comparing this to the religion test, where the outcome encorporates good and bad. So 1+1=2 does not work unless it has a good or bad outcome avec the exam version!
Huh?

Lynx was proposing, in his syllogism that beliefs are not choices and that due to this it is unfair to punish or condemn people for their beliefs. You appear to have completely misread what he was trying to say.

It is still a belief!
I never said it wasn't.

Do you even know what my argument is? I am arguing that belief is not a choice, not that belief does not exist.

All this is semantics. A belief doesn't have to be true or false - it is what it is: a belief!
Huh?

I was explaining how belief is not motivated by whimsical desire - and how if it was, then cognitive dissonance wouldn't exist.

Dagless
02-10-2010, 05:12 PM
So you agree? What we believe is true is formulated from our own understanding of things that are true?
Yes and no. Most beliefs are formed through understanding, but understanding itself is not based only on events from life as you wrote (imo).

No it isn't a bad example. I could use almost any example on things we passively accept as true and demonstrate the same thing. You have just, by dismissing my example - confirmed my example. You have just conceded that no, you cannot be led to believe that it is not raining when you can observe that it is.
I gave you a better example; which was life on other planets. This cannot be demonstrated either way and yet people can still base a belief on it.

This thread is going nowhere, so lets just cut it down to one statement:

If you don't think belief in God is a personal choice, how can you say anything is a personal choice?

(Ironically the above choice is also a personal choice).

My evidence that it is a personal choice is that your mind (which is you) has looked at the evidence and decided for it or against it. Therefore it is your choice. What is your response to this? Take religion out of the equation if you like.

aamirsaab
02-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Well, if we were to focus entirely on the original post's complaint: that determination is completely unfair due to the fact that people's beliefs are determined by their understanding of the world. People, in most instances simply cannot be convinced that Islam is true. They cannot change this until they see sufficient evidence to convince them.
Cannot or will not? We have already established people can easily deny things. The issue here is a matter of acceptance or will.

To then set up a criteria by which those unconvinced will suffer is indeed, and I know we've argued semantics over this before - is the proposal of thought-crime. You can be punished for not believing. Your fate lies based on your belief(s) (or lack of).
But you are only viewing half of the equation; the reward side. When you put both together, there is justice.

Again, to propose that someone be punished for eternity for what they believe or don't believe is something that is wholly incomparable to anything we have produced in real life.
I know, but at least on a conceptual level the example works. The point was to illustrate the positive and negative outcomes.

And no, Lynx produced the 1+1=2 analogy to show that you cannot believe things arbitrarily. He was making a point on the nature of belief.
No, he was quite clearly trying to make a parable to Do you believe in the existence of God. That's why he said in point 7 God does something unjust.

Lynx was proposing, in his syllogism that beliefs are not choices and that due to this it is unfair to punish or condemn people for their beliefs. You appear to have completely misread what he was trying to say.
Which brings me right back to quiz example I mentioned earlier: Is it unfair on a conceptual level for a person who failed a test to be entitled to a crappy low paying job compared to someone who passed the test and got a better high paying job.

I never said it wasn't
Therefore you can chose your beliefs.

Do you even know what my argument is? I am arguing that belief is not a choice, not that belief does not exist.
And I am arguing belief is a choice. That's why I gave the example of converts/reverts to a religion. But you said no they aren't making a choice of beliefs, it's all cognitive yadda yadda.

Every time I say xyz is a belief you say it's something else. If all you want to do is contradict everything I say, fine you win. I have no desire to continue, for the third time, this conversation.

I was explaining how belief is not motivated by whimsical desire - and how if it was, then cognitive dissonance wouldn't exist.
I'm not saying that choice is whimsical. I am saying one does choose to accept things and thus believe in them (because of those things you mentioned). Ergo, one chooses their beliefs.

Lynx
02-10-2010, 06:27 PM
If you don't think belief in God is a personal choice, how can you say anything is a personal choice?
Perhaps that's where you are missing the point of the argument; you realize that beliefs are not actions, right?

Anyway, the thread has a simple solution: everyone start believing in Unicorns. The Muslims here are convinced that they are capable of choosing to believe in unicorns (what mastery of their minds!). If you can't you should be accepting my argument as logical truth.

Someone earlier tried with the Transformers example and clearly failed, Lol. We can't determine whether or not you sincerely believe in Unicorns after you've tried out the test but you yourself know whether you believe in Unicorns. If you can't believe in Unicorns, then you have no reason to disagree with my OP.

The argument is ironclad.

That's HOW ridiculous it is to believe in a HELL based on simply believing or not believing in something. It's a poor understanding of psychology to say people 'choose' not to believe.

Skavau
02-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Yes and no. Most beliefs are formed through understanding, but understanding itself is not based only on events from life as you wrote (imo).
Understanding is influenced by confirmation bias (which is motivated by desire, or 'choice'). I should ask you on this - why do you think cognitive dissonance exists by the way?

I gave you a better example; which was life on other planets. This cannot be demonstrated either way and yet people can still base a belief on it.
Okay. So?

It certainly is not known whether there is life on other planets. People that base a belief on this do so out of them being convinced that it is likely that in the expanse of the universe - there exists life in part of it. These people are more often than not (excluding specific cults, and self-appointed extraterrestrial experts) are willing to, with new information change their position on it. And vice versa with people who reject the existence of life outside of Earth.

For both, new information on their understanding of reality is what formulates their beliefs. I mean, what is the point of 'belief' in itself if it does not mean anything? If indeed one can arbitrarily change their viewpoint (as is being claimed here) then beliefs are nothing but frivolous statements.

This thread is going nowhere, so lets just cut it down to one statement:

(Ironically the above choice is also a personal choice).
Indeed.

That is the bigger question, and one only exceptional cognitive scientists could shed some light towards. The argument here (or my argument here) is that belief has to, in order to mean something, be more than just a 'personal choice'. I would imagine that your belief in Islam is much more than that. I don't know how devote or knowledgable you are with it - but I believe I am entitled to say that your belief in it simply makes it impossible for you to suddenly arbitrate that it is not true. I would perhaps go further and suggest that you rather want Islam to be true and that you are delighted, or content that you have knowledge and/or belief that it is true. Could anything convince you otherwise? If not, why not? If so, how?

It has not been argued against yet, that we can sincerely forgo our beliefs on reality and contend them as false. The only argument I have seen is simply a reassertion that belief is a choice.

My evidence that it is a personal choice is that your mind (which is you) has looked at the evidence and decided for it or against it. Therefore it is your choice. What is your response to this? Take religion out of the equation if you like.
The argument never was about religion. Lynx was stating that due to belief is not being a choice, you ought not be held accountable for having incorrect information (as is the claim of the Islamic afterlife).

Dagless
02-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Perhaps that's where you are missing the point of the argument; you realize that beliefs are not actions, right?

Anyway, the thread has a simple solution: everyone start believing in Unicorns. The Muslims here are convinced that they are capable of choosing to believe in unicorns (what mastery of their minds!). If you can't you should be accepting my argument as logical truth.

Someone earlier tried with the Transformers example and clearly failed, Lol. We can't determine whether or not you sincerely believe in Unicorns after you've tried out the test but you yourself know whether you believe in Unicorns. If you can't believe in Unicorns, then you have no reason to disagree with my OP.

That's HOW ridiculous it is to believe in a HELL based on simply believing or not believing in something. It's a poor understanding of psychology to say people 'choose' not to believe.
You're clearly not reading what has been said throughout this thread. Beliefs are based on information and fact. I do not believe in unicorns because there is no evidence to support it. I believe there are no unicorns because that is the conclusion I have come to after looking at the evidence. I believe in a God because I have looked at the evidence, I have read the Quran, it persuades me that yes there is a God. These are all my own choices.

If your argument held up and nobody could choose anything then everyone would believe in the same things and make all the same choices. You cannot seem to grasp that different people can believe different things by looking at the same evidence, and that it is their own choice.

Skavau
02-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Cannot or will not? We have already established people can easily deny things. The issue here is a matter of acceptance or will.
I don't know whether the "cannot or will not" insinuation this is the suggestion that I've seen many theists make that perhaps atheists, or in this case non-muslims are in denial, too stubborn or are refusing to accept Islam out of pride, or some other vice - but it remains merely a prejudice rooted in a black and white - us vs. them mentality if so.

Irrespectively, denial is not what I am talking about here. If you are in denial of something you don't really believe it anyway. You're not being sincere. People go into denial due reality conflicting with what they would like to be true. If belief was a matter of complete choice, as is claimed - then people would simply not go into denial in the first place at all.

But you are only viewing half of the equation; the reward side. When you put both together, there is justice.
I thought I was being accused of viewing the punishment side too much last time?

Irrespectively, how is there justice if everything in the equation is looked at? How can torture for incorrect thoughts and conclusions be valid, even if there is a wonderful reward for the correct thoughts and conclusions?

No, he was quite clearly trying to make a parable to Do you believe in the existence of God. That's why he said in point 7 God does something unjust.
He was making a point against the concept of hell. His argument was that belief is not motivated by choice, but by the conclusions you come to in life from a specific observation of natural phenomena and knowledge gained. He used the 1+1=2 analogy to demonstrate how you cannot forgo belief in something you understand to be true and then went on to contend how torture for thought should be considered immoral.

Which brings me right back to quiz example I mentioned earlier: Is it unfair on a conceptual level for a person who failed a test to be entitled to a crappy low paying job compared to someone who passed the test and got a better high paying job.
Any consequences of failing a test leading to a bad job are not set in stone. It is a passive consequence of a performance-based society which values those that might be more effective than those who are not. These are not punishments, and any self-respecting society that values people tries their utmost to ascend those weaker, and less intelligent than others to leading comfortable lives.

There is no talk of torture. There is no talk of the government actively punishing those who fail the tests. There is no suggestion of an infinite response, or a response of a lifetime. There is only failure at accomplishment.

Therefore you can chose your beliefs.
?

How do you get from me informing you I am not arguing against the concept of belief to your assumption that I have conceded that beliefs are motivated by choice? Does not follow.

Especially since I had said originally that people who change their religious beliefs change on the basis of new information and not through choice.

And I am arguing belief is a choice. That's why I gave the example of converts/reverts to a religion. But you said no they aren't making a choice of beliefs, it's all cognitive yadda yadda.
And you haven't addressed this.

Why not? Do you imagine apostates of any religion just suddenly decide one day that they are going to forgo all acquired knowledge? Do you not think that perhaps they go through a lengthy period of time of attempting to reconcile their beliefs with reality until they eventually realise they cannot do so and release themselves?

Do you imagine that people who convert to a religious ideology do so for the same reason that they felt like trying a new flavour of ice-cream? Or do you not think that perhaps they have over time, come across new information that they have been convinced represents a truth of a specific ideology? Sure, there can be coercien and manipulation employed by overzealous preachers (evangelical christianity, scientology) - but they only convince people that they ought to change their beliefs. They only convince people that they should develop a confirmation bias. Those that convert through others often drop out quicker than those that move from themselves.

Every time I say xyz is a belief you say it's something else. If all you want to do is contradict everything I say, fine you win. I have no desire to continue, for the third time, this conversation.
Uh, no.

This is the third time you've stated that I am arguing against beliefs. I am not. I am arguing that belief is not a choice.

I'm not saying that choice is whimsical. I am saying one does choose to accept things and thus believe in them (because of those things you mentioned). Ergo, one chooses their beliefs.
How can you 'choose to accept things'? What does that even mean?

Did I 'choose' to accept that it is the 10th of February 2010 today?

aamirsaab
02-10-2010, 07:34 PM
What utter nonsense. You chose to believe things. If it is a cognitive process - it is a choice!

How did I fail? I showed you exactly that people CAN choose their beliefs (even if they are stupid!). I further demonstrated this with reverts and converts.

Did leaving Islam turn you into a retard by any chance?

Which bloody one? You used 3 interchangeably whenever someone disagreed or disproved you.

Remind me again why you are debating with muslims on a forum about a concept you don't believe in?

Oh what's that I see? A unicorn!

You are a the biggest troll I have ever encountered.

Dagless
02-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Understanding is influenced by confirmation bias (which is motivated by desire, or 'choice'). I should ask you on this - why do you think cognitive dissonance exists by the way?
As has been mentioned earlier in the thread there are people who are not religious who revert to Islam based only on the facts, therefore confirmation bias doesn't hold up. If anything the bias is to reject.
Did I say anything which indicates cognitive dissonance?

Okay. So?

It certainly is not known whether there is life on other planets. People that base a belief on this do so out of them being convinced that it is likely that in the expanse of the universe - there exists life in part of it. These people are more often than not (excluding specific cults, and self-appointed extraterrestrial experts) are willing to, with new information change their position on it. And vice versa with people who reject the existence of life outside of Earth.
I don't disagree with any of this.

That is the bigger question, and one only exceptional cognitive scientists could shed some light towards. The argument here (or my argument here) is that belief has to, in order to mean something, be more than just a 'personal choice'.
Everyone is an exceptional cognitive scientist. You either believe we are responsible for our own actions or you don't. Its that simple. It seems to me you don't, and its a belief I see as incorrect.

I would imagine that your belief in Islam is much more than that. I don't know how devote or knowledgable you are with it - but I believe I am entitled to say that your belief in it simply makes it impossible for you to suddenly arbitrate that it is not true. I would perhaps go further and suggest that you rather want Islam to be true and that you are delighted, or content that you have knowledge and/or belief that it is true. Could anything convince you otherwise? If not, why not? If so, how?
I, and most Muslims, base their belief on fact. If it could be shown without doubt that it was wrong then our viewpoints would change. I don't think anyone would dispute that. The appeal of Islam is that it makes sense.

The argument never was about religion. Lynx was stating that due to belief is not being a choice, you ought not be held accountable for having incorrect information (as is the claim of the Islamic afterlife).
Yes, and I say it is a choice, and have stated my reasons. Our difference of opinion in this matter could be added to my list of reasons since we have both seen the same evidence but differ on belief of which is correct.
Its not incorrect information because 2 people could recieve the same information but one may believe and one may not. Their reasoning mechanism is who they are. You are trying to say that the reasoning mechanism is 100% a product of their environment/upbringing and so they cannot be held responsible for it, but this is not the case. If it were the case we wouldn't have criminals.

aamirsaab
02-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Irrespectively, how is there justice if everything in the equation is looked at? How can torture for incorrect thoughts and conclusions be valid, even if there is a wonderful reward for the correct thoughts and conclusions?
This is why I used the quiz in my example.

He was making a point against the concept of hell. His argument was that belief is not motivated by choice, but by the conclusions you come to in life from a specific observation of natural phenomena and knowledge gained. He used the 1+1=2 analogy to demonstrate how you cannot forgo belief in something you understand to be true and then went on to contend how torture for thought should be considered immoral.
And he failed to include the core points i.e punishment and reward! The analogy is only half.

Any consequences of failing a test leading to a bad job are not set in stone. It is a passive consequence of a performance-based society which values those that might be more effective than those who are not. These are not punishments, and any self-respecting society that values people tries their utmost to ascend those weaker, and less intelligent than others to leading comfortable lives.
There is no talk of torture. There is no talk of the government actively punishing those who fail the tests. There is no suggestion of an infinite response, or a response of a lifetime. There is only failure at accomplishment.
End result is a crappy job or a good job. So once again (and try answering it this time) IS IT JUST, ON A CONCEPTUAL LEVEL, FOR SOMEONE WHO FAILED HIS EXAMS TO ONLY BE ENTITLED TO A CRAPPY JOB? It's exactly the same concept; the result of a test that gives two outcomes - one good and one bad.

How do you get from me informing you I am not arguing against the concept of belief to your assumption that I have conceded that beliefs are motivated by choice? Does not follow.
You just told me the reasoning behind how people make a choice which affects what the believe in. Ergo, choose your belief.

Especially since I had said originally that people who change their religious beliefs change on the basis of new information and not through choice.
Which they accept as either true or false.

And you haven't addressed this.
I DID. Converts reverts choose which religion to follow. Ergo they choose their belief

Why not? Do you imagine apostates of any religion just suddenly decide one day that they are going to forgo all acquired knowledge? Do you not think that perhaps they go through a lengthy period of time of attempting to reconcile their beliefs with reality until they eventually realise they cannot do so and release themselves?
LOL apostates going through a lenghty process of deep and meaningful thought? Please go and talk to Ali sina, ayan hirsi, wafa sultan etc on why they apostacised. It had nothing to do with deep and meaningful thought, I can tell you that now. There was no logic behind their apostacy, they just couldn't hack it.

Do you imagine that people who convert to a religious ideology do so for the same reason that they felt like trying a new flavour of ice-cream? Or do you not think that perhaps they have over time, come across new information that they have been convinced represents a truth of a specific ideology? Sure, there can be coercien and manipulation employed by overzealous preachers (evangelical christianity, scientology) - but they only convince people that they ought to change their beliefs. They only convince people that they should develop a confirmation bias. Those that convert through others often drop out quicker than those that move from themselves.
They still choose to accept that information as true. Ergo they believe it.

Uh, no.

This is the third time you've stated that I am arguing against beliefs. I am not. I am arguing that belief is not a choice.
Er yes. I said converts make a choice of belief, you said no they don't. They clearly make a choice of beliefs hence they convert!

How can you 'choose to accept things'? What does that even mean?

Did I 'choose' to accept that it is the 10th of February 2010 today?
I already demonstrated this with the transformers analogy. Since you don't know what is in my heart, you cannot make any claims on whether or not that belief is true or not. So as far as you are concerned, it is my belief that transformers is the best movie ever and I have chosen to believe that transformers is the best movie ever.

Dagless
02-10-2010, 07:52 PM
You are a the biggest troll I have ever encountered.
I am honestly starting to believe this too. They obviously know that every thought process where a statement is confirmed or denied is a decision based on logic (in humans and computers). I'm out, lets all agree to disagree (by choice ;)), and I'm sure those reading the thread have more than enough repeated information to make up their own minds.

Froggy
02-10-2010, 08:01 PM
End result is a crappy job or a good job. So once again (and try answering it this time) IS IT JUST, ON A CONCEPTUAL LEVEL, FOR SOMEONE WHO FAILED HIS EXAMS TO ONLY BE ENTITLED TO A CRAPPY JOB? It's exactly the same concept; the result of a test that gives two outcomes - one good and one bad.
The problem with the analogy is that a person can tell for sure the exam is true and is completely familiar with the potential outcome and above all the person chooses to take the test. With religion, one doesn't choose their test (=life) nor do the know which rules to act by (=which religion is true, if any).

Skavau
02-10-2010, 08:05 PM
As has been mentioned earlier in the thread there are people who are not religious who revert to Islam based only on the facts, therefore confirmation bias doesn't hold up.
I have not disputed that. I merely referenced confirmation bias as a factor for people. It is always the reason for all denials.

If anything the bias is to reject.
Did I say anything which indicates cognitive dissonance?
No. I'm not talking about you. I'm talking in general:

Why do you think cognitive dissonance exists?

I don't disagree with any of this.
Okay

Everyone is an exceptional cognitive scientist. You either believe we are responsible for our own actions or you don't. Its that simple. It seems to me you don't, and its a belief I see as incorrect.
You realise an action is different than having and/or maintaining a belief?

I, and most Muslims, base their belief on fact. If it could be shown without doubt that it was wrong then our viewpoints would change. I don't think anyone would dispute that. The appeal of Islam is that it makes sense.
There we go then. You have just told me that you would not, or could not conclude that Islam is false unless it could be shown that Islam was wrong.

So what problems do you have with my argument exactly?

Yes, and I say it is a choice, and have stated my reasons. Our difference of opinion in this matter could be added to my list of reasons since we have both seen the same evidence but differ on belief of which is correct.
The fact that people have differing opinions on what they observe has nothing to do with the argument against belief being a product of choice. There are many factors as to why people observe the same thing and come out with many different conclusions.

Its not incorrect information because 2 people could recieve the same information but one may believe and one may not. Their reasoning mechanism is who they are. You are trying to say that the reasoning mechanism is 100% a product of their environment/upbringing and so they cannot be held responsible for it, but this is not the case. If it were the case we wouldn't have criminals.
Actually, I'm not saying that at all.

Read my argument. My argument is that people believe things based on what convinces them is true. Not that people believe things based on just choosing things to be true.

aamirsaab
02-10-2010, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Froggy
The problem with the analogy is that a person can tell for sure the exam is true and is completely familiar with the potential outcome and above all the person chooses to take the test. With religion, one doesn't choose their test (=life) nor do the know which rules to act by (=which religion is true, if any).
I am aware of the flaws in the analogy - no analogy is going to parallel the test of life completely. Thus, I am instead highlighting the concept of punishment and reward based on the outcome of a test (which is based on a belief) since this is the closest thing at a concepual level.

I get no brownie points in paricipating in these kinds of discussions but if one wishes to argue on the basis of justice and belief, then we have to use an analogy that at least works on SOME conceptual basis. If you have no goal to reach, what are you competing for?

Skavau
02-10-2010, 08:23 PM
This is why I used the quiz in my example.
Huh?

Sorry, you've lost me.

And he failed to include the core points i.e punishment and reward! The analogy is only half.
Huh?

I don't get it. I really do not think you understand the argument being presented. He merely referenced the simple 1+1=2 analogy to show how belief is not a choice and then from establishing belief not being a choice, argued that one should not be punished for it. He did not compare it to the Islamic understanding of paradise and hell - but used it to produce a little ethical argument against it.

It is not ideal for anyone to live in squalor or work in a job that they do not wish to work in if they desire to live better. The objective of society should be to try and have everyone accomplish if possible. Whether someone actually 'deserves' the job they get depends entirely on their own situation, so I cannot make a blanket claim on all underperformers in that respect. I would ask you though that if I was to claim that yes, it is just for someone who failed their exams to only receive a poor job - what would that mean in the context of paradise vs. hell? Just because I may claim that some rewards are valid, and some punishment is acceptable does not mean I would have to accept all forms of punishment and reward as valid based on this.

You just told me the reasoning behind how people make a choice which affects what the believe in. Ergo, choose your belief.
No I didn't. When people engage in self-analysis over their beliefs, they may privately brainstorm and eventually arrive at specific conclusions (or become stuck in dissonance).

Which they accept as either true or false.
Right. So what does accepting something as true or false based on information, however unwelcome - have to do with choosing your beliefs?

I DID. Converts reverts choose which religion to follow. Ergo they choose their belief
No you didn't.

You've just repeatedly claimed that converts choose their religion without substantiation.

LOL apostates going through a lenghty process of deep and meaningful thought? Please go and talk to Ali sina, ayan hirsi, wafa sultan etc on why they apostacised. It had nothing to do with deep and meaningful thought, I can tell you that now. There was no logic behind their apostacy, they just couldn't hack it.
I'm not talking about apostates of Islam but apostates of any religion. This argument has nothing to do with individual apostates. It has to do with the reality that people who do lose faith do it over a period of time after much self-analysis. They do not choose to just forgo their understanding at will.

I have no reason to share your contempt with the above individuals. I have no access to their path to apostasy and neither do you.

They still choose to accept that information as true. Ergo they believe it.
Right. I am not denying they do believe it. You're not focusing on my core point:

I am not disputing belief, I am disputing that to believe something is the product of choice. What is this semantics?

Er yes. I said converts make a choice of belief, you said no they don't. They clearly make a choice of beliefs hence they convert!
Uh, I am arguing that belief is motivated by choice.

I am not arguing that belief does not exist.

I already demonstrated this with the transformers analogy. Since you don't know what is in my heart, you cannot make any claims on whether or not that belief is true or not. So as far as you are concerned, it is my belief that transformers is the best movie ever and I have chosen to believe that transformers is the best movie ever.
Huh?!

This... has nothing to do with anything. I am not commenting on what is in your heart (although ironically, you feel in a position to comment on certain apostates hearts). I am not commenting on whether any belief, no matter if I accept it or not is actually true. I am talking about the nature of belief.

If you seriously believe that the Transformers (I've not watched it) is the best movie ever - then great. However, you cannot sincerely claim otherwise because that is not what you believe. Similarly, I understand it to be the 10th of February. I cannot sincerely contend otherwise unless presented with compelling evidence that it is not.

Froggy
02-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I am aware of the flaws in the analogy - no analogy is going to parallel the test of life completely. Thus, I am instead highlighting the concept of punishment and reward based on the outcome of a test (which is based on a belief) since this is the closest thing at a concepual level.

I get no brownie points in paricipating in these kinds of discussions but if one wishes to argue on the basis of justice and belief, then we have to use an analogy that at least works on SOME conceptual basis. If you have no goal to reach, what are you competing for?
The falw is a major one and it compleetly ruins the analogy. The analogy works only if the existence of god and the test were public knowledge and I think the very point of this debate is students being punished for not passing a test they don't even know they're taking..

Chuck
02-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Read my argument. My argument is that people believe things based on what convinces them is true. Not that people believe things based on just choosing things to be true.
Do I have a choice to believe that your above argument makes no sense at all. :crickey:

Froggy
02-10-2010, 08:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
Do I have a choice to believe that your above argument makes no sense at all. :crickey:
Why no sense at all?

Dagless
02-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I'll respond to this one part because it seems my argument from before is not clear enough. I did understand your argument but I suppose I differ on what you call "convincing".

For me convincing IS choosing... to convince someone you must adhere to the values and rules someone holds in their mind. These values and rules are in fact what makes them them.

Therefore, whatever they choose out of free will must adhere to this set of rules and whatever convinces them must also adhere to this set of rules.

The set of rules is in effect the person. Nobody follows anything which is at odds with their set of rules (ie. them). The rules are not a seperate entity.

Chuck
02-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Why no sense at all?
Short, answer it looks like jibber jabber, to be honest. Anyhow, my opinion, you don't have to agree. You have a choice :statisfie

aamirsaab
02-10-2010, 10:26 PM
The falw is a major one and it compleetly ruins the analogy. The analogy works only if the existence of god and the test were public knowledge and I think the very point of this debate is students being punished for not passing a test they don't even know they're taking..
Whilst it is a valid point and I accept it completely, that's not what anyone has argued up until now. Instead, they are arguing on the basis of punishment for failing a test - not that they were unware of the test to begin with.

That's why I bought up the example of a quiz/exam setting, which involved a punishment for failure i.e a crappy job. I know that this eventuality is not gauranteed (and neither is heaven or hell because you have until you die to believe in Allah ---> which noone seems to be listening to!) but on a conceptual level of punishment/reward, it works as a comparable to heaven/hell. Crude yes, but at least the point can be illustrated to some degree. If you have another analogy that fits the bill, please feel free to use it.

But the current and main contention is this: the athiests (unless of course Lynx is following another religion) are adamant that beliefs are not chosen, whilst the muslims (mainly me and ferown), so far, have been arguing otherwise.

Lynx
02-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Skavu, You are one patient person! I am actually in awe at how difficult it is for some people to grasp simple things...especially after how well you've spoon fed the argument to these guys.

I can understand how perhaps my syllogism in the OP may have been unclear (which is sad since I put it into a syllogism to avoid ambiguity) but to have the explanation drag out for this long is ridiculous. Anyway..

Ferown, you continuously say you can't believe ridiculous things without evidence...you're conceding the argument because you are showing that you are incapable of choosing to believe in x where x is a statement that is backed by no apparent evidence. Do you get it? You can't choose to believe in x because you don't have evidence. It's impossible for you to choose to believe in x (where x is anything absurd like 1+1=3) right? When you say you can 'choose' to believe whatever you want then you are saying you can believe in absurd statements too but now you're telling me you can't believe in whatever you want, so you've contradicted yourself.

aaamir: You don't get the argument after 4 pages.

Dagless
02-11-2010, 04:44 AM
Ferown, you continuously say you can't believe ridiculous things without evidence...you're conceding the argument because you are showing that you are incapable of choosing to believe in x where x is a statement that is backed by no apparent evidence. Do you get it? You can't choose to believe in x because you don't have evidence. It's impossible for you to choose to believe in x (where x is anything absurd like 1+1=3) right? When you say you can 'choose' to believe whatever you want then you are saying you can believe in absurd statements too but now you're telling me you can't believe in whatever you want, so you've contradicted yourself.
Did you read what I said? The choosing is you. I might not believe in x, but someone else might see x and believe in it. The decider is the person. You can't seperate the 2.
I will try to explain why your argument is flawed one last time:

Person A looks at Belief 1 and 2, Belief 1 makes sense to him so he believes it.

Belief 1 makes sense because of his internal set of rules (these rules ARE him, they are his personality, his experience, his core personality, his conscious, etc.).

The set of rules are not set in stone, they are the type of person he is, constantly growing and changing, based on what HE wants. He maybe a person who is open to ideas, he may not be, he maybe someone who likes to rob people, and then later decides he doesn't want to rob people because its wrong and stops.

You are saying Person A chose Belief 1 and therefore could not choose belief 2. That is like saying "the door is open" after someone opens it. BUT you see he could believe 2 IF his internal set of rules were different (maybe one day they will be, who knows), but this doesn't mean he had no choice because the internal rules are HIM.

This is not the same as someone believing 1+1=3 and if you can't see that re-read my previous posts.

I think the bottom line is that we understand each argument (well I understand yours, I hope you know what I mean by now). Its just our answers are very different and so each response looks like nobody is reading what the other is saying.

If the internal rules were set in stone from birth then I would probably agree that the choice cannot be real because it is based on something which cannot be changed... but while I write this I've remembered a verse which says that some people go too far and so God seals their hearts so they can never see the truth. So maybe some people can never see no matter how much they change/are shown?

Skavau
02-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Oh, name change

format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Did you read what I said? The choosing is you. I might not believe in x, but someone else might see x and believe in it. The decider is the person. You can't seperate the 2.
No-one is disputing that people observe the same things and come to different conclusions. This is due to people holding different understanding and ideals concerning reality prior to their observation of x. They could have experience in different fields of knowledge and different experience in different forms of natural phenomena, had a predisposition to desire different things to be true (we all have some level of a confirmation bias) and ultimately could notice different things about x.

Person A looks at Belief 1 and 2, Belief 1 makes sense to him so he believes it.

Belief 1 makes sense because of his internal set of rules (these rules ARE him, they are his personality, his experience, his core personality, his conscious, etc.).
Okay, so how does a belief making sense to someone (which it has to in order to continue being a belief) based on what he understands through his past experiences mean it is a choice? If he is concluding things based on what he has observed previously in his life then how is he operating from a position of choice?

the set of rules are not set in stone, they are the type of person he is, constantly growing and changing, based on what HE wants. He maybe a person who is open to ideas, he may not be, he maybe someone who likes to rob people, and then later decides he doesn't want to rob people because its wrong and stops.
You are confusing want a person wants with what a person can believe. The state of being 'open-minded' (it is often misused) is a consequence of an indoctrination-free upbringing and a lifestyle which encourages understanding through evidence (amongst other things). No-one just chooses to be open-minded anymore than they decide to retain a system of insular absolute truth.

Anyone by the way, can say what they like. They can profess belief in anything and can go into denial. Those are based on what people want, what they perhaps think is ought not what is.

Again, the example is simple. If you cannot profess to sincerely believe in say, a unicorn, or a minotaur, or any non-descript mythological creature then you can't choose your beliefs. Your beliefs are based on more than that. They are at the base something that you consider to be true, and at times - the framework for a self-sustaining system of beliefs that you consider integral to your character.

Or am I wrong? Can you suddenly just sincerely believe that minotaurs, leprechauns etc exist?

You are saying Person A chose Belief 1 and therefore could not choose belief 2. That is like saying "the door is open" after someone opens it. BUT you see he could believe 2 IF his internal set of rules were different (maybe one day they will be, who knows), but this doesn't mean he had no choice because the internal rules are HIM.
This does not make much sense to me. It might be your sentence structure, or how I read it.

If the internal rules were set in stone from birth then I would probably agree that the choice cannot be real because it is based on something which cannot be changed... but while I write this I've remembered a verse which says that some people go too far and so God seals their hearts so they can never see the truth. So maybe some people can never see no matter how much they change/are shown?
That's an interesting conclusion you've entangled with there - and I have indeed observed the verse you're referencing, much more I've seen Muslims come to conclusions on it that differ.

If God seals us from knowledge, then he immediately absolves us from all responsibility. Do you believe that to be true, or moral?

Lynx
02-12-2010, 05:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless

The set of rules are not set in stone, they are the type of person he is, constantly growing and changing, based on what HE wants. He maybe a person who is open to ideas, he may not be, he maybe someone who likes to rob people, and then later decides he doesn't want to rob people because its wrong and stops.

This is not the same as someone believing 1+1=3 and if you can't see that re-read my previous posts.

I think the bottom line is that we understand each argument (well I understand yours, I hope you know what I mean by now). Its just our answers are very different and so each response looks like nobody is reading what the other is saying.

I take it you agree that beliefs aren't choices but rather shaping our personality to accept certain beliefs is where the 'choosing' takes place. Is this correct? If so, how on Earth do I 'shape my internal rules' to make it accept things I wouldn't normally believe in?? This seems equally out of my control as my beliefs are.

سيف الله
02-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Salaam

Heres an initial reaction (from a Christain perspective) to this argument courtesy of RandyE from Reasonable faith.

LOL. This argument ignores free will. Also, if true, it's completely pointless, as no one can choose to believe what it says anyway.

(3) seems to be the main culprit here. It seems (3) is logically equivalent to

3* If we cannot choose not to believe 1+1=2, then we cannot choose any belief.

Of course, if that follows, then it also follows that if we believe 1+1=2, it is not due to the faculty of the will, for then we would have chosen such a belief. So if not the will, then what? It seems physical determinism is all that is left. That is usually enough to dissuade many philosophers.

However, something further should be discussed here. If belief is simply a physical reaction on a given set of circumstances, why is it that some beliefs are, for all intents and purposes, universal? What are the chances of that? Why is 1+1=2 universal in scope but not other beliefs, such as the belief that aliens have invaded in secret, etc.? So then it seems we must say something to the effect that beliefs are formed when conditions sufficient for its truth exist relative to our intellectual capacity. But that certainly doesn't account for disagreements among intellectual equals given similar backgrounds on a wide variety of subjects, exposed to the same evidence. It seems some other method of individualized choice is at work.

Further, (3) attempts to prove the lack of free will by equivocating. A truth such as 1+1=2 is self-evident, basic (some say foundational), and constantly both taught by elders and confirmed by experience and intuition. A truth such as "black holes exist" may be taught by elders, but falls woefully short in the latter two categories. The truth of God's existence falls into this latter category, where I believe it to be intuitive, and to a small extent, experiential, but hardly as simplistic to prove as 1+1=2. This alone should account for the lack of universality.

Lynx
02-12-2010, 06:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Junon
Salaam

Heres an initial reaction (from a Christain perspective) to this argument courtesy of RandyE from Reasonable faith.
Hi, I was hoping for a Christian perspective.

I can't comment on the free will thing since I don't see what my argument has to do with Free Will (it actually has nothing to do with free will).

To answer about universal things such as 1+1=2 (There is, I believe, a culture which does not have any concept of numbers so they don't have a 1+1=2 FYI) some things are universal because their evidence is overwhelming. This is exactly my point, if one had the ability to choose their beliefs then one should have the ability to choose not to believe in 1+1=2. Being convinced is not a matter of choice it's a reaction when one is faced with an overwhelming body of evidence or a proof that is incredibly convincing.

VizierX
02-14-2010, 06:30 PM

1.Hell is a punishment

Any takers !

You're equivocating. 1+1=2 is an analytic, deductive truth. The claim that God exists is a metaphysical claim about reality i.e. a synthetic claim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analyti...ic_distinction

Skavau
02-14-2010, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by VizierX
You're equivocating. 1+1=2 is an analytic, deductive truth. The claim that God exists is a metaphysical claim about reality i.e. a synthetic claim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analyti...ic_distinction
Irrelevent.

The point was that you don't just arbitrarily choose what to believe (as pascal's wager would have you do). You have to be convinced first. If you are not convinced of something that is actually true you are merely misinformed, and at worse excessively ignorant.

Is that a reasonable grounds for eternal torture?

VizierX
02-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Irrelevent.
Its very relevant. The claim that 1+1=2 and that God exists are fundamentally different. Mathematics is in the realm of deductive reasoning and isn't about the world. Read that entry on the difference between analytic and synthetic proposition. Equating the two as somehow similar is just ignorant.

The point was that you don't just arbitrarily choose what to believe (as pascal's wager would have you do). You have to be convinced first. If you are not convinced of something that is actually true you are merely misinformed, and at worse excessively ignorant.

This is very debatable. Humans are primarily pragmatic rationalists. We very often adopt beliefs for their pragmatics or instrumental utility. Refer to James' Will to Believe - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_to_believe

Skavau
02-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Its very relevant. The claim that 1+1=2 and that God exists are fundamentally different. Mathematics is in the realm of deductive reasoning and isn't about the world. Read that entry on the difference between analytic and synthetic proposition. Equating the two as somehow similar is just ignorant.
How is it relevant when the main point of discussion is about whether you should be punished or not what you think?

This is very debatable. Humans are primarily pragmatic rationalists. We very often adopt beliefs for their pragmatics or instrumental utility. Refer to James' Will to Believe - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_to_believe
This isn't entirely relevant. This appears to be talking about societal reinforcement of beliefs. I accept that societies (specifically those that have an agenda or objective for their population to all conform to the nations ideals) passively reinforce socially acceptable viewpoints. A crude example is long hair on men. You could be locked out of some aspects of society for having long hair as a male, so you naturally have it cut to fit in and eventually as many do come to the conclusion that it is not merely practical for men to have short hair, but somehow morally preferable. Totalitarian stats do this on a much larger scale and consequently have much larger success, and comformity.

But irrespectively, the key point in this Will to Believe lecture is that it appears that must be some sort of motivation to believe. It does not state that you can just force yourself to believe in things out of whimsical desire - which is the contention in the original post, that you cannot.

In any case, it hardly verifies the idea that people ought to be punished for thought-crime.

VizierX
02-15-2010, 12:32 AM
[QUOTE=Skavau;1292816]How is it relevant when the main point of discussion is about whether you should be punished or not what you think?

The syllogism is crap. If even a single premise is shown to be lacking then the conclusion cannot be trusted.

This isn't entirely relevant.
Its very relevant. Humans aren't the crude epistemic evidentialists that you suppose. We are much more pragmatic. We very often adopt beliefs that lack evidence and test them out in our lives. In fact this is exactly how Science is conducted.

This appears to be talking about societal reinforcement of beliefs. I accept that societies (specifically those that have an agenda or objective for their population to all conform to the nations ideals) passively reinforce socially acceptable viewpoints. A crude example is long hair on men. You could be locked out of some aspects of society for having long hair as a male, so you naturally have it cut to fit in and eventually as many do come to the conclusion that it is not merely practical for men to have short hair, but somehow morally preferable. Totalitarian stats do this on a much larger scale and consequently have much larger success, and comformity.
I have no clue what you are talking about. James' argument there is about crude evidentialism.

But irrespectively, the key point in this Will to Believe lecture is that it appears that must be some sort of motivation to believe. It does not state that you can just force yourself to believe in things out of whimsical desire - which is the contention in the original post, that you cannot.
Do you not desire to know the truth?

In any case, it hardly verifies the idea that people ought to be punished for thought-crime.

What's wrong with being punished for thought-crime?

Skavau
02-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Its very relevant. Humans aren't the crude epistemic evidentialists that you suppose. We are much more pragmatic. We very often adopt beliefs that lack evidence and test them out in our lives. In fact this is exactly how Science is conducted.
You're right. I already, if you've observed any of my posts pointed out what people go into states of denial when they are faced with unwelcome conclusions about reality. I already talked about cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias.

I have no clue what you are talking about. James' argument there is about crude evidentialism.
I was blithering on that it appears to be some sort of attempt for a society to setup a placebo effect in order to influence the beliefs of others.

Do you not desire to know the truth?
Sure.

What's that got do with being able (which I don't think you are) to believe anything?

What's wrong with being punished for thought-crime?
Is this a serious question? Do you believe that it is sometimes acceptable to torture (as is traditional concept of hell) people for what they think? If so, give examples.

سيف الله
02-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Salaam

This is courtesy of RandyE again

Hi, I was hoping for a Christian perspective.

I can't comment on the free will thing since I don't see what my argument has to do with Free Will (it actually has nothing to do with free will).
This is incredible, since the entire argument concerns free will! Its point is that we cannot "choose" a particular belief. Is that no longer his point? Or does he not understand that is free will: the power of choice? A belief, if it is held, is either chosen or thrust upon you. Which is it?

To answer about universal things such as 1+1=2 (There is, I believe, a culture which does not have any concept of numbers so they don't have a 1+1=2 FYI) some things are universal because their evidence is overwhelming.
This doesn't address the argument, it simply glosses over it. Moreover, it begs the question by assuming that there are things that are "overwhelming" and the word is used in reference to the faculty of the will. If "overwhelming" only means we should believe it in order to be rational, then he effectively concedes his point as lost. If it means it overcomes the will, it's simply begging the question of the issue at hand.

Further, what defines what is convincing? If beliefs are only formed by a physical process, how incredible is it that we recognize such beliefs as true? Why should we? The very term "convincing" literally carries no more meaning here than saying "the unavoidable reaction of a physical process of atoms." Plantinga shows that such a physical process of belief-holding actually functions as a defeater of anyheld beliefs, including the held belief that physicalism is true. On physicalism, it just so happens that the processes that result in universal beliefs just so happen also to be true? How can we even know that, much less embrace its rationality? Why are there no universally-held beliefs that are also ridiculously and demonstrably false?

With at least equal probability, we should see widely-held beliefs that are as easily falsifiable as 1+1=37, yet held by over 99.9% of the population. Anything further is begging the question against free-will beliefs.

Now there are indeed beliefs that are held universally that are "overwhelming" to rationality. This means one would have to suspend rationality or simply be deluded. Yet on physicalism, is such a person really deluded? I don't see why. After all, they come to hold their beliefs precisely the way I do; how could we really know we happen to be the fortunate ones who are correct?

Finally, this flies in the face of psychology, which has long held that people can delude themselves. In effect, they can lie to themselves long enough to where they actually believe the lie they told! There are far too many problems and coincidences, and interestingly enough: there's no real reason to attempt to convince me otherwise. If my view is correct, there is no problem, and if yours is, then the physical process in place for me to hold that belief obviously has not fired.

Skavau
02-17-2010, 02:19 AM
Hi Junon. I have no idea of your perspective as it is far less black and white in Christianity. Do you believe that hell exists and the boundaries predetermined by whether you accept Jesus Christ as your saviour?

This doesn't address the argument, it simply glosses over it. Moreover, it begs the question by assuming that there are things that are "overwhelming" and the word is used in reference to the faculty of the will. If "overwhelming" only means we should believe it in order to be rational, then he effectively concedes his point as lost. If it means it overcomes the will, it's simply begging the question of the issue at hand.
Why do you say 'should' here?

If belief is always choice-based then there can be no should, only could.

Further, what defines what is convincing? If beliefs are only formed by a physical process, how incredible is it that we recognize such beliefs as true? Why should we? The very term "convincing" literally carries no more meaning here than saying "the unavoidable reaction of a physical process of atoms." Plantinga shows that such a physical process of belief-holding actually functions as a defeater of anyheld beliefs, including the held belief that physicalism is true. On physicalism, it just so happens that the processes that result in universal beliefs just so happen also to be true? How can we even know that, much less embrace its rationality?
How does Plantinga show this? Methinks that you are missing the purpose of this argument. It is to show that people's beliefs are not motivated by arbitrary desire and that everyone's beliefs have an underpinning that if held strongly, cannot just be changed or removed by request or desire (such is the pointlessness of pascal's wager by consequence).

And on the Wager, do you believe that the wager is valid by the way? If not - (as I don't expect you do) why not?

Why are there no universally-held beliefs that are also ridiculously and demonstrably false?
Why would there be? If a belief is easily demonstrably false then that knowledge of its falsification would have been acquirable and people would have been compelled on the basis of new information to change their position.

In the absence of far-reaching new information, small cultures in still undeveloped nations still hold on to their mythological beliefs. They will do so until they develop and are shown that much of it is demonstrably false.

Now there are indeed beliefs that are held universally that are "overwhelming" to rationality. This means one would have to suspend rationality or simply be deluded. Yet on physicalism, is such a person really deluded? I don't see why. After all, they come to hold their beliefs precisely the way I do; how could we really know we happen to be the fortunate ones who are correct?
I don't believe anyone in this thread has claimed that we all use the exact same methods at all to come to beliefs, nor has anyone claimed that identical arguments based in rationality will always convince people all of the time.

Finally, this flies in the face of psychology, which has long held that people can delude themselves. In effect, they can lie to themselves long enough to where they actually believe the lie they told! There are far too many problems and coincidences, and interestingly enough: there's no real reason to attempt to convince me otherwise. If my view is correct, there is no problem, and if yours is, then the physical process in place for me to hold that belief obviously has not fired.
That is not the argument.

And yes, I've already talked about people leading themselves into denial. If they go so far as to talk themselves into their own dishonesty then they've convinced themself through repetition and some placebo effect that reinforced it each time (usually). They haven't just, arbitrarily decided to believe their own false claims.

Italianguy
02-17-2010, 02:38 AM
Not sure why Atheists are here? If you don't believe...what do you care about anyones answers anyway? Are you looking to be a part of a faith?

No ones answers are ever going to be sufficeint to you. Are you trying to get believers to disbelieve their faith? I am pretty sure your not supposed to do that here, i could be wrong?

If you don't believe, thats fine....but why the questions and arguments if no ones answers ever help you to understand? We believe what is written, what is taught, what was spoken. You need physical proof, we have faith.

God be with you, and i say that wether you like it or not, because I belive one day you will be convinced.

Skavau
02-17-2010, 02:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
Not sure why Atheists are here? If you don't believe...what do you care about anyones answers anyway? Are you looking to be a part of a faith?
I like to converse on these forums out of interest. My objective if any on here is to defend Secularism and how important I think it is for everyone. At other times my interest at times is to try and end people's bigotry towards others.

No ones answers are ever going to be sufficeint to you. Are you trying to get believers to disbelieve their faith? I am pretty sure your not supposed to do that here, i could be wrong?
I suspect attempting to convert anyone here to anything other than Islam is prohibited. Irrespectively, no, I am not trying to do that. I respect and understand that people's faiths are important to them. One of the main things I defend is everyone's rights to their respective faiths (or lack of). That is a part of Secularism so valuable.

If you don't believe, thats fine....but why the questions and arguments if no ones answers ever help you to understand? We believe what is written, what is taught, what was spoken. You need physical proof, we have faith.
This topic was setup as a debate over already understood concepts.

God be with you, and i say that wether you like it or not, because I belive one day you will be convinced.
Heh, I'm on a Muslim forum. If I was going to be offended by theistic greetings or messages of goodwill I would've left by now.

Irrespectively the gesture is, as always, appreciated.

Italianguy
02-17-2010, 03:19 AM
I like to converse on these forums out of interest. My objective if any on here is to defend Secularism and how important I think it is for everyone. At other times my interest at times is to try and end people's bigotry towards others.

I suspect attempting to convert anyone here to anything other than Islam is prohibited. Irrespectively, no, I am not trying to do that. I respect and understand that people's faiths are important to them. One of the main things I defend is everyone's rights to their respective faiths (or lack of). That is a part of Secularism so valuable.

This topic was setup as a debate over already understood concepts.

Heh, I'm on a Muslim forum. If I was going to be offended by theistic greetings or messages of goodwill I would've left by now.

Irrespectively the gesture is, as always, appreciated.
Your welcome

respectfuly,

Italianguy

Lynx
02-17-2010, 05:10 AM

It's always fun to throw around some nice traditional philosophy jargon but I am not equivocating; your response, however, is nothing more than a trivial objection. You can replace 'not believe in 1+1=2' with any other synthetic statement. You can put the 'sky is blue' if you want in place which is nice and synthetic. Also, I am pretty sure Godel would have something to say about the 'deductive' nature of arithmetic. But that's not relevant.

BTW, it is quite possible to not believe in analytical truths (consider proofs that are not understood at first glance).

Junon:

This is incredible, since the entire argument concerns free will! Its point is that we cannot "choose" a particular belief. Is that no longer his point? Or does he not understand that is free will: the power of choice? A belief, if it is held, is either chosen or thrust upon you. Which is it?
Well what I have in mind is something like the inability to lift up a giant boulder and then being punished for it. Even if one wants to one isn't able to and therefore it would be unjust to punish this person for not lifting the boulder. So using the term 'free will' is a bit misleading IMO. But even if you want to consider this a free will debate then I don't care I would just avoid it because it adds unnecessary ambiguity because I don't want to have a side debate on the meaning of 'free will'.

As for the rest of your post I am not sure what bearing it has on my argument. If you can cite me the Plantinga paper that you seem to be quoting from then I will try to read it and hopefully comment on it. Or I can wait for the response you will provide to Skavu in hopes of better clarifying the discussion.

Italianguy:

I ain't trying to find proof that God existence (btw, I don't require physical proof hence my reliance on a syllogism that requires only armchair debate).
This is just a healthy discussion to be clarify things like justice/the nature of beliefs. And who knows who will benefit from reading this thread.

AlbanianMuslim
02-17-2010, 05:19 AM
I refuse to dignify anyone with a response who says "I aint" or someone who begins a sentence with "And." Im sorry I just cant. It breaks my heart to see such terrible english.

Lynx
02-17-2010, 06:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlbanianMuslim
I refuse to dignify anyone with a response who says "I aint" or someone who begins a sentence with "And." Im sorry I just cant. It breaks my heart to see such terrible english.
Lol. I love typing out I ain't. It has a nice ring to it ~.~ I never say it though in conversation.

سيف الله
02-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Salaam

Thanks again to RandyE for his response

Well what I have in mind is something like the inability to lift up a giant boulder and then being punished for it. Even if one wants to one isn't able to and therefore it would be unjust to punish this person for not lifting the boulder. So using the term 'free will' is a bit misleading IMO. But even if you want to consider this a free will debate then I don't care I would just avoid it because it adds unnecessary ambiguity because I don't want to have a side debate on the meaning of 'free will'.

As for the rest of your post I am not sure what bearing it has on my argument. If you can cite me the Plantinga paper that you seem to be quoting from then I will try to read it and hopefully comment on it. Or I can wait for the response you will provide to Skavu in hopes of better clarifying the discussion.
The paper is Plantinga's response to Dawkins; interestingly I found it on Dawkins' website. Your analogy describes free will as it is applied. For the "rock" is choosing to believe, and the inability is presumably...inability. So, analogously, you're saying it's the inability to believe; which demands an answer to the question, "how can one believe?" If beliefs can be chosen, then there is no overriding inability, at least none that we've seen. If they cannot be chosen, then the debate directly concerns free will.

Why do you say 'should' here?

If belief is always choice-based then there can be no should, only could.
I said "in order to be rational." If beliefs are choice-based, we can be rational, and in order to be rational we should (past tense of shall, but in this case used as an "ought to") align our beliefs with the evidence. I see no reason why if beliefs are based on choices that we cannot choose to be rational; further, rationality has standards that must be adhered to. So, in order to be rational, we should....

How does Plantinga show this? Methinks that you are missing the purpose of this argument. It is to show that people's beliefs are not motivated by arbitrary desire and that everyone's beliefs have an underpinning that if held strongly, cannot just be changed or removed by request or desire (such is the pointlessness of pascal's wager by consequence).

And on the Wager, do you believe that the wager is valid by the way? If not - (as I don't expect you do) why not?
The wager is a red herring; I'm simply defending the power to choose. Interestingly, your argument doesn't address formation of beliefs, but the psychological need not to relinquish deep ones. So long as beliefs can be formed with a choice, it need not matter how deeply-held they are. Further, this explanation (free will) is the most sufficient explanation of why scant evidence works for person A of near-equal intelligence and background whereas even rigorous evidence isn't good enough for person B.

Why would there be? If a belief is easily demonstrably false then that knowledge of its falsification would have been acquirable and people would have been compelled on the basis of new information to change their position.

In the absence of far-reaching new information, small cultures in still undeveloped nations still hold on to their mythological beliefs. They will do so until they develop and are shown that much of it is demonstrably false.
But that's just the point! Why should we expect this, given naturalism? Why does it just so happen that when presented with falsification for a belief, people abandon it? It is not a necessary truth that such happens, nor is it necessarily advantageous in evolution (as there are plenty of times when ignorance truly is bliss). But even if it were always advantageous, that still doesn't tell us why it just so happens that physicalism produces correct results. On sheer physicalism alone, the probabilities are the same we should see people holding beliefs in spite of new evidence; even if they recognize the evidence is true. That we don't see it, and that true belief-correspondence is so fantastically improbable given the parameters on physicalism, it seems we should reject it.

That is not the argument.

And yes, I've already talked about people leading themselves into denial. If they go so far as to talk themselves into their own dishonesty then they've convinced themself through repetition and some placebo effect that reinforced it each time (usually). They haven't just, arbitrarily decided to believe their own false claims.
That seems incredulous to me. If they talked themselves into it, did they not want to talk themselves into it? In order to maintain consistency, the answer must be "no." But then what caused it? It seems obvious they wanted to believe it, and so they did.

سيف الله
02-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Salaam

One has to admire their evangelical zeal. Always wondered why Athiests seem so attracted to religious forums, maybe its the 'opposites attract' thing :P

Wouldnt worry too much about these debates, they've gone on for a very long time and probably continue till the end of time :skeleton:

My objective if any on here is to defend Secularism and how important I think it is for everyone
Secularism (or more accurately secular culture) strikes me as hostile to the religious believer.

Just check out the NSS website or anything written by Dawkins and co, or perhaps the steady marginalisation and death of Christianity in Britain. Muslims should be very wary of it, (interestingly the Pope and perceptive Christains have voiced similiar concerns as well).

But yeah we'll discuss this elsewhere sometime, lets not derail this thread :nervous:

Skavau
02-18-2010, 02:55 AM
The wager is a red herring; I'm simply defending the power to choose. Interestingly, your argument doesn't address formation of beliefs, but the psychological need not to relinquish deep ones. So long as beliefs can be formed with a choice, it need not matter how deeply-held they are. Further, this explanation (free will) is the most sufficient explanation of why scant evidence works for person A of near-equal intelligence and background whereas even rigorous evidence isn't good enough for person B.
It is not a red herring. I ask you about the Wager because it has a lot of relevance in this thread. This thread, is essentially in part about the perceived injustice of hell. It claims that torturing people for eternity based on 'thought-crime' is perfectly morally acceptable. The proposition that belief is not a choice and it is motivated by many factors is just a part of that argument.

Pascal's Wager, as you know, claims that people ought to just change their beliefs to something that would be more beneficial to them. Do you think that this is valid? If you don't think that it is valid then I take it you would think that beliefs ought to be grounded in sincerity.

And indeed, I still do not know your position on hell. It is as I said, far less obvious what a Christian thinks about the afterlife than it is a Muslim. Do you believe that the 'unsaved' as it were are destined for hellfire? Does hellfire exist in your understanding?

But that's just the point! Why should we expect this, given naturalism? Why does it just so happen that when presented with falsification for a belief, people abandon it?
Surely this is so close, and yet so far?

Because it is impossible to maintain a belief when 'undeniable' evidence is presented for its redundancy. If I was to observe now that it was raining outside I could not sincerely claim that it is a bright and sunny day.

It is not a necessary truth that such happens, nor is it necessarily advantageous in evolution (as there are plenty of times when ignorance truly is bliss). But even if it were always advantageous, that still doesn't tell us why it just so happens that physicalism produces correct results. On sheer physicalism alone, the probabilities are the same we should see people holding beliefs in spite of new evidence; even if they recognize the evidence is true.
Huh?

Why would the part in bold be true in any world view?

That seems incredulous to me. If they talked themselves into it, did they not want to talk themselves into it? In order to maintain consistency, the answer must be "no." But then what caused it? It seems obvious they wanted to believe it, and so they did.
Of course they 'talked themselves into it'. They reinforced it with a persistent self-induced placebo effect. If however, your statements were entirely valid about belief then they could have just talked themselves into it instantly. There would have been no need to work on it.

Skavau
02-18-2010, 02:57 AM
One has to admire their evangelical zeal. Always wondered why Athiests seem so attracted to religious forums, maybe its the 'opposites attract' thing :P
tut tut

Typical misspelling. I expected better from you!

Secularism (or more accurately secular culture) strikes me as hostile to the religious believer.

Just check out the NSS website or anything written by Dawkins and co, or perhaps the steady marginalisation and death of Christianity in Britain. Muslims should be very wary of it, (interestingly the Pope and perceptive Christains have voiced similiar concerns as well).

But yeah we'll discuss this elsewhere sometime, lets not derail this thread
^o)

سيف الله
02-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Salaam

Another reply from RandyE

[It is not a red herring. I ask you about the Wager because it has a lot of relevance in this thread. This thread, is essentially in part about the perceived injustice of hell. It claims that torturing people for eternity based on 'thought-crime' is perfectly morally acceptable. The proposition that belief is not a choice and it is motivated by many factors is just a part of that argument.
My apologies; I'm not actually in this but another forum, as you may know. :)I was primarily concerned with the ability to choose one's belief, in general.

Because it is impossible to maintain a belief when 'undeniable' evidence is presented for its redundancy. If I was to observe now that it was raining outside I could not sincerely claim that it is a bright and sunny day.
That just begs the question against free will. This is offered as proof of the assertion "one cannot choose his beliefs." But if we asked why this proof was proof, the response would be "because one cannot choose his beliefs."

Why would the part in bold be true in any world view?
Physicalism, or physical determinism, tells us actions are done necessarily, as a result of certain processes that make an action or held belief or thought guaranteed and not as a result of choice. If physicalism were true, we should expect to see certain beliefs held even in spite of overwhelming evidence; even if they recognized the evidence as true: there should be at least some physical process that results in a belief being held even while recognizing it as true. They believe the evidence is true and that it points in a direction opposing their viewpoint, but these people would still believe their views. There's nothing stopping purely contradictory positions from both being held on physicalism. Now under choice there are still people who hold beliefs stubbornly; but they hardly hold both to be true. They think something is wrong with the evidence, or its application, or both (whether rationally or not). They at least believe they are acting rationally. Further, on physicalism we should expect even extremely small things to move very intelligent people, even if they are non-sequiturs. Physicalism doesn't guarantee (and indeed cannot) truth-conformity or rationality. It is a blind process.

Everything in our experiences points to free will. Even your responses. Even if you believe your current belief was physically determined, you certainly believe what you're typing in response is a product of your mind, and not merely a physical process. In short, even you think you're typing what you want. And how did you come to form your belief in physicalism itself? Why is it that no one can seem to come up with the formulas which guarantee belief? Finally, why is it any beliefs are actually true? How can we know? If what we know and believe is physically determined, how can we be sure that physical determinism isn't wrong, and thus our entire worldview? The answer is simple: our collective experiences and senses all inform us reality exists, and is knowable. Yet all of our experiences inform us free will exists, and all we have on physicalism is assertions.

Of course they 'talked themselves into it'. They reinforced it with a persistent self-induced placebo effect. If however, your statements were entirely valid about belief then they could have just talked themselves into it instantly. There would have been no need to work on it.
But did they choose to talk themselves into it? If the answer is "no," then why did they have to talk themselves into it? Shouldn't they just already believe it? Cognitive dissonance (embracing something as true while not believing it) is a defeater of physicalism. Physicalism has no room for such considerations, while free will does. After all, they "want" to believe its true, and that's why they repeat it. Answering "they repeat it to themselves because that's how physicalism works" doesn't answer a major question: why?

Lynx
02-19-2010, 12:47 AM
Salaam

My apologies; I'm not actually in this but another forum, as you may know. :)I was primarily concerned with the ability to choose one's belief, in general.

That just begs the question against free will. This is offered as proof of the assertion "one cannot choose his beliefs." But if we asked why this proof was proof, the response would be "because one cannot choose his beliefs."

Physicalism, or physical determinism, tells us actions are done necessarily, as a result of certain processes that make an action or held belief or thought guaranteed and not as a result of choice. If physicalism were true, we should expect to see certain beliefs held even in spite of overwhelming evidence; even if they recognized the evidence as true: there should be at least some physical process that results in a belief being held even while recognizing it as true. They believe the evidence is true and that it points in a direction opposing their viewpoint, but these people would still believe their views. There's nothing stopping purely contradictory positions from both being held on physicalism. Now under choice there are still people who hold beliefs stubbornly; but they hardly hold both to be true. They think something is wrong with the evidence, or its application, or both (whether rationally or not). They at least believe they are acting rationally. Further, on physicalism we should expect even extremely small things to move very intelligent people, even if they are non-sequiturs. Physicalism doesn't guarantee (and indeed cannot) truth-conformity or rationality. It is a blind process.

Everything in our experiences points to free will. Even your responses. Even if you believe your current belief was physically determined, you certainly believe what you're typing in response is a product of your mind, and not merely a physical process. In short, even you think you're typing what you want. And how did you come to form your belief in physicalism itself? Why is it that no one can seem to come up with the formulas which guarantee belief? Finally, why is it any beliefs are actually true? How can we know? If what we know and believe is physically determined, how can we be sure that physical determinism isn't wrong, and thus our entire worldview? The answer is simple: our collective experiences and senses all inform us reality exists, and is knowable. Yet all of our experiences inform us free will exists, and all we have on physicalism is assertions.

But did they choose to talk themselves into it? If the answer is "no," then why did they have to talk themselves into it? Shouldn't they just already believe it? Cognitive dissonance (embracing something as true while not believing it) is a defeater of physicalism. Physicalism has no room for such considerations, while free will does. After all, they "want" to believe its true, and that's why they repeat it. Answering "they repeat it to themselves because that's how physicalism works" doesn't answer a major question: why?
I am sorry maybe I am missing the point here. What exactly are you trying to demonstrate? I can read and understand what you are saying but I am slow to realize your conclusion. Are you saying that belief is a choice? If so, I am not seeing how you have come to that conclusion. I was not trying to beg the question earlier (i.e., belief isn't a choice because one cannot choose to believe in something) that is, I felt this statement could be tested by each individual. Try to believe in something and you will be unable to. But I feel like you know this so what exactly are you trying to say. And I was looking for the Plantinga article on the Dawkins website. I didn't do a thorough search but I didn't find it anyway. If you could provide the title or the link to the paper, that would be great.

Skavau
02-19-2010, 03:36 AM

Who or what is RandyE?

My apologies; I'm not actually in this but another forum, as you may know. I was primarily concerned with the ability to choose one's belief, in general.
Okay then. Know that I am still interested in your answers to these questions as it will determine whether you consider belief something that should be considered on grounds of evidence or something that should be trivial.

If you deem the Wager invalid, consider that belief ought to be based on specific considerations and recognise that there can be no such thing as 'thought-crime', then we disagree about very little - only the semantics and specifics of belief.

[B]That just begs the question against free will. This is offered as proof of the assertion "one cannot choose his beliefs." But if we asked why this proof was proof, the response would be "because one cannot choose his beliefs."
Actually if you asked me how is that evidence of not being able to choose your belief then I would simply repeat that if it was I could effectively convince myself that it was sunny without any reason.

So if belief is always a choice, I open the window and observe that it is raining - how could I convince myself that it was sunny precisely?

Physicalism, or physical determinism, tells us actions are done necessarily, as a result of certain processes that make an action or held belief or thought guaranteed and not as a result of choice. If physicalism were true, we should expect to see certain beliefs held even in spite of overwhelming evidence; even if they recognized the evidence as true: there should be at least some physical process that results in a belief being held even while recognizing it as true.
Huh?

I've asked you this already. Why would we expect to see large groups of people embracing ideals they know to be untrue, or in the face of overwhelming evidence if physicalism is true? Why would we not if your ideals are true?

They believe the evidence is true and that it points in a direction opposing their viewpoint, but these people would still believe their views. There's nothing stopping purely contradictory positions from both being held on physicalism. Now under choice there are still people who hold beliefs stubbornly; but they hardly hold both to be true. They think something is wrong with the evidence, or its application, or both (whether rationally or not). They at least believe they are acting rationally. Further, on physicalism we should expect even extremely small things to move very intelligent people, even if they are non-sequiturs. Physicalism doesn't guarantee (and indeed cannot) truth-conformity or rationality. It is a blind process.
I don't think you get what exactly me and Lynx are saying. We're stating primarily that beliefs have to have some basis in themselves over trivial arbitrary choice. If they do not, then all concepts such as cognitive dissonance and being convinced through evidence or reason have no meaning.

We are not arguing or claiming anything you are saying in the above.

You can choose your biases. Someone who talks themselves into something, over time is attempting to defy the evidence.

And by the way that is not cognitive dissonance. Cognitive Dissonance is the state of holding two contradictory ideas as true at the same time. People can often go into this phase when they discover new information that conflicts with something else they already believe to be true. If belief was always a choice, then you could not ever slip into such a state of confusion.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.