noorseeker
02-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Just a quick question to put some doubts of mine to rest

Is the herb st john worts halal. Its to treat mild depression

JazakAllah Khayran in advance.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
02-08-2010, 06:01 PM
there are different types of st. John's wort..

some of those used in clinical trials were kira and perika both are suitable for vegetarians..
word of caution it will take a very long time for you to see results and I suggest you supplement it with a B complex vitamins..

The good news is there are no side effects, I was able to come off it very easily for several months, unfortunately re-started it again last week and really can't wait for it to start working..

be careful of many St. John worts, many aren't standardized.. you need only use those brands that were used in the clinical trials, since anyone can grind up anything and put a wort on it :D

:w:

جوري
02-08-2010, 06:38 PM
:sl:

one more suitable for vegetarians:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I can't comment on this one since it wasn't used in clinical trials.. and secondly pls be aware that this is a time release formula..

st. john's wort is taken 3 times a day for a total of 2.7 mg hypercin.. this one is a time release to be given one time a day which I think fosters better compliance amongst some people..

pls readdddddddd all the warnings that come with this if you are on other medications for the heart or birth control pills etc.

don't take pills without being educated fully about them..

noorseeker
02-08-2010, 06:48 PM
JazakAllah Khayran

I was hoping you would see this thread lol

Theres a shop in uk called HOLLAND AND BARRET , a high street vitamin shop thats where i got em from

just checked they are standardised

0.30% hypericin

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
02-08-2010, 06:56 PM
I think in England you should have better products.. from my understanding in Europe especially Germany is where most of the studies on St. John's wort were done, americans are still skeptical of this product and I am not sure I am entirely sold on it either, but to me it is a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils.. having tried paxil many moons ago, it was hell and I was a zombie, that to me, I think one is better just being anxious and depressed.. I mean when you think about it, you don't die from depression or panic attacks, you just think you will when they hijack you lol

so you can take an active part in telling yourself positive things and being active in other ways (trust me I know how difficult that can be) when you don't even want to get out of bed.. nonetheless also help yourself in other ways.. like when you feel you can't breathe fill your lungs with air and tell yourself look air is going all the way to my lower lobe even if my mind tells me otherwise, if you can't swallow then have a tiny water or juice handy and drink, it will give your body something else to do than release adrenaline, engage in conversation with people even if you feel you don't have the energy to open your mouth.. just kick this thing and tell it you are the boss of your body not the other way around and hopefully insha'Allah you'll feel better soon..

Salahudeen
02-08-2010, 07:01 PM
salaam bros and sis, I bought mine from healthy direct here's the link for it, gossamar can you tell if this 1 is haraam or not?

http://www.healthydirect.com/product/WORTT/default.aspx

it's a good price compared to the Holland and Barrets one. ^is that 1 any good?

جوري
02-08-2010, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
salaam bros and sis, I bought mine from healthy direct here's the link for it, gossamar can you tell if this 1 is haraam or not?

it's a good price compared to the Holland and Barrets one. ^is that 1 any good?
:sl: akhi, I can't see the list of inactive ingredients so I can't tell.. why not ask the company itself.. they usually provide a phone number on their products?

Salahudeen
02-08-2010, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
:sl: akhi, I can't see the list of inactive ingredients so I can't tell.. why not ask the company itself.. they usually provide a phone number on their products?

I found it ukhti

Active Ingredients
St. Johns Wort (Hypericum perforatum) Standardised Extract (334.0 mg)
Provides:
Hypericin (1000.0 mcg)

Ingredients
St John's Standardised Extract, Rice Starch, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Dicalcium Phosphate, Croscarmellose Sodium, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide

جوري
02-08-2010, 08:46 PM

that is fine.. can't say I am happy about the starch and silicone but they are not harmful, just unneeded fillers they use to bind the ingredients together.. does beat pork gelatin though..

let's us know how it works for you insha'Allah..

Salahudeen
02-08-2010, 10:47 PM

that is fine.. can't say I am happy about the starch and silicone but they are not harmful, just unneeded fillers they use to bind the ingredients together.. does beat pork gelatin though..

let's us know how it works for you insha'Allah..

ok ukhti, I'm noticing I'm smiling more at the smallest of things :hmm:

جوري
02-08-2010, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
ok ukhti, I'm noticing I'm smiling more at the smallest of things :hmm:

al7mdlillah akhi.. may Allah swt grant us fast shifaa..

:wa:

Italianguy
02-08-2010, 11:13 PM
That stuff is used for depression?

KittenLover
02-08-2010, 11:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
That stuff is used for depression?
yeah, only for mild depression.

cat eyes
02-08-2010, 11:18 PM
i want to buy it. where can i get it from? can u buy it at any store?

KittenLover
02-08-2010, 11:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
as brother squiggle posted

Italianguy
02-08-2010, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KittenLover
yeah, only for mild depression.
Oh ok, Is it ok to use for stress and or mild anxeity?

cat eyes
02-08-2010, 11:28 PM
jazakAllah what payment can i use though? i dont have credit cards nothing like that. i have another card but its not a credit card if you know what i mean but it works like a credit card

KittenLover
02-08-2010, 11:29 PM
jazakAllah what payment can i use though? i dont have credit cards nothing like that. i have another card but its not a credit card if you know what i mean but it works like a credit card

you can use debit cards also, but I don't know if they deliver to outside the uk you'll have to check.

I'm not sure if you can use it for stress of anxiety italian guy :hmm:

جوري
02-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Oh ok, Is it ok to use for stress and or mild anxeity?
this needs to be an ongoing treatment, you won't see improvement right away, it will take weeks. I suggest if you have anxiety and panic to supplement it with a vit. B complex and a calcium/magnesium regimen at a 2:1 ratio that is if you want to go this route.. Most folks just visit a doc and get a prescription for an SSRI and a benzodiazepine for immediate treatment of panic..

I personally don't like to go that route.. I call it the 'Hollywood' route surely to let people down a spiral to their grave!

and Allah swt knows best

peace

Italianguy
02-08-2010, 11:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KittenLover
you can use debit cards also, but I don't know if they deliver to outside the uk you'll have to check.

I'm not sure if you can use it for stress of anxiety italian guy :hmm:
I wonder if it can be purchased in the US? If it can GNC would have it i'm sure.

I am experiencing a little stressimsad lately so i figured i would ask. But thanks.

Maybe Ms.Skye would know what the best natural meds are used for that? I have never and will never take prescription meds.....they scare me.....even more than spiders:phew+o(

جوري
02-08-2010, 11:33 PM
do you live in the U.S sister?

KittenLover
02-08-2010, 11:35 PM
You can buy from Holland and Barrets also sis.

جوري
02-08-2010, 11:37 PM
I wonder if it can be purchased in the US? If it can GNC would have it i'm sure.

I am experiencing a little stressimsad lately so i figured i would ask. But thanks.

Maybe Ms.Skye would know what the best natural meds are used for that? I have never and will never take prescription meds.....they scare me.....even more than spiders:phew+o(

http://www.islamicboard.com/1290215-post19.html

however that is a decision you should make with your doctor...
pls note just because it is an herb doesn't mean it is harmless.. in fact it can be quite harmful and interacts with many other meds.. so be educated on the product you take before you take it..

peace

cat eyes
02-08-2010, 11:43 PM
do you live in the U.S sister?

no i dont live in the u.s sis i live in europe

جوري
02-08-2010, 11:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John's_wort

جوري
02-08-2010, 11:45 PM
no i dont live in the u.s sis i live in europe
do you have amazon? like amazon.co.uk

I purchase mine from amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...sprefix=st+joh

cat eyes
02-08-2010, 11:53 PM
yeah i use amazon sis but not for medication an stuff. jazakAllah :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.