/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is shirk?

Darth Ultor
02-17-2010, 02:08 PM
According to Islam, it is the worst sin a person could commit. But what is it exactly?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
02-17-2010, 08:44 PM
It means to associate a partner with Almighty God in any way or form. You wouldn't call some strangers your parents because only your parents alone have the right to be recognized as your parents along with all the respect, recognition, gratitude and obedience that they deserve. Similarly only Almighty God has the right to be worshiped alone since it is He alone who created us.

Italianguy
02-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Basically......The Christian worship of Christ....Me

Rabi Mansur
02-18-2010, 02:22 AM
I would think that a lot of things might be considered to be Shirk, right? Obviously the Christian worship of Christ would be on that level as well as the Catholic attitude toward Mary or the worship of saints.

But wouldn't Shirk probably also encompass worshiping about anything? I mean, for some people, football is more important than religion or God. For others, money is number 1.

Maybe I'm wrong and one of my Muslim friends can straighten me out, but it seems Shirk could be a whole lot of things and attitudes. It doesn't have to just encompass Christianity.

:wa:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sabr*
02-18-2010, 06:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
According to Islam, it is the worst sin a person could commit. But what is it exactly?
Greetings to you Boaz:

Shirk (Arabic: شرك‎) is the Islamic concept of the sin of polytheism specifically, but in a more general way refers to worshipping other than Allah, associating partners with him, giving his characteristics to others beside him, or not believing in his characteristics. Within Islam, Major Shirk is an unforgivable sin. According to Islamic texts, anyone who commits shirk cannot be forgiven, Allah forgives any sin except for major shirk. It is the vice that is opposed to the virtue of tawhid, literally "declaring [that which is] one", often translated into the English term monotheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirk_%28Islam%29

Surah (Chapter) Nisa (The Women) 4:48

4:48 Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin Most heinous indeed. (Y. Ali Translation)

Muslim Woman
02-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Salaam/ Peace

related verses from holy Quran

Verily, Allah forgives not that partners should be set up with him in worship, but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He pleases, and whoever sets up partners with Allah in worship, he has indeed invented a tremendous sin.
( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #48)

Say (O Muhammad SAW): "O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians): Come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship none but Allah, and that we associate no partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords besides Allah. Then, if they turn away, say: "Bear witness that we are Muslims."

( سورة آل عمران , Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #64)

Surely, they have disbelieved who say: "Allah is the Messiah (Iesa (Jesus)), son of Maryam (Mary)."

But the Messiah (Iesa (Jesus)) said: "O Children of Israel! Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord." Verily, whosoever sets up partners in worship with Allah, then Allah has forbidden Paradise for him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for the Zalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers) there are no helpers.

( سورة المائدة , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #72)

And on the Day when We shall gather them all together, We shall say to those who joined partners in worship (with Us): "Where are your partners (false deities) whom you used to assert (as partners in worship with Allah)?"

( سورة الأنعام , Al-Anaam, Chapter #6, Verse #22)

Darth Ultor
02-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Thank you, everyone. But what if you express remorse and regret later in life? Is it stilll too late?

Muslim Woman
02-19-2010, 01:32 AM
Salaam/Peace

what if you express remorse and regret later in life? Is it stilll too late?
One must offer repentance before death approaches. Pharaon offered it while drowning and that was not accepted.

related link:

The Door of Repentance Is Wide Open

Do they not know that it is Allah Who accepts the repentance of His servants and receives (approves) their charity, and that Allah is the Relenting, the Compassionate?” (At-Tawbah: 104)

“Say: ‘O My servants who wronged against their souls, do not despair of Allah’s mercy! For Allah forgives all sins; for He is indeed Forgiving, Compassionate.’” (Az-Zumar: 53)

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...EAskTheScholar

Darth Ultor
02-19-2010, 04:01 AM
The Pharaoh in the exodus died? I always heard that he survived, and that God wanted to see the Egyptian Empire crumble.

FollowerOfChrist
02-19-2010, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sabr62

Greetings to you Boaz:

Shirk (Arabic: شرك‎) is the Islamic concept of the sin of polytheism specifically, but in a more general way refers to worshipping other than Allah, associating partners with him, giving his characteristics to others beside him, or not believing in his characteristics. Within Islam, Major Shirk is an unforgivable sin. According to Islamic texts, anyone who commits shirk cannot be forgiven, Allah forgives any sin except for major shirk. It is the vice that is opposed to the virtue of tawhid, literally "declaring [that which is] one", often translated into the English term monotheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirk_%28Islam%29

Surah (Chapter) Nisa (The Women) 4:48

4:48 Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin Most heinous indeed. (Y. Ali Translation)
So, according to this theology, Christians cannot enter heaven?

Muslim Woman
02-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Salaam/Peace

The Pharaoh in the exodus died? I always heard that he survived, and that God wanted to see the Egyptian Empire crumble.

a related hadith :

Prophet Muhammed pbuh came to Madinah and found the Jews fasting the tenth day of Muharram.

When he inquired about the reason, the Jews said, “This is the day on which Allah drowned Pharaoh and rescued Musa.

We fast it every year to be thankful to Allah.”

The Prophet said, “I am more deserving of Musa than you are,” and he fasted this day and ordered the Muslims to fast it also.

related link:

Refutation Of The So-Called External Contradictions In The Qur'an

We took the Children of Israel across the sea: Pharaoh and his hosts followed them in insolence and spite.

At length, when overwhelmed with the flood, he said: "I believe that there is no god except Him Whom the Children of Israel believe in: I am of those who submit (to Allah in Islam)." (It was said to him): "Ah now!- But a little while before, wast thou in rebellion!- and thou didst mischief (and violence)!

"This day shall We save thee in the body, that thou mayest be a sign to those who come after thee! but verily, many among mankind are heedless of Our Signs!" [Qur'an 10:90-92]
The Qur'an and the Bible [Exodus 14:21-30 and Exodus 15:19-21] state that the Pharaoh was drowned in the sea. However, the Qur'an differs from the Bible and it makes a very unique statement that the body of the drowned Pharaoh was saved as a sign for future generations.

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Qur...trad/External/

Pharaoh & Haman In The Qur'an , I posted about this in the forum ...very interesting , written by a non-Muslim. U may use search option.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.