/* */

PDA

View Full Version : An ayah

sevgi
02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Salams,

Im sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place...

Can anyone please, please help me understand an ayah I just read? Im reading an english translation and Im struggling to grasp the context of this ayah and just what it is saying really.

surah 20 ayah 90-104.

??????

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
02-20-2010, 07:45 PM
:salamext:

What happened between Musa and Harun after Musa returned
Allah informs of what happened when Musa returned to his people and saw the great matter that had taken place among them. With this he became filled with anger and he threw down the Divine Tablets that he had in his hand. Then, he grabbed his brother Harun by his head and pulled him towards himself. We expounded upon this previously in Surat Al-A`raf, where we mentioned the Hadith,
«لَيْسَ الْخَبَرُ كَالْمُعَايَنَة»
(Information is not the same as observation.) Then, he began to blame his brother, Harun, by saying,
[مَا مَنَعَكَ إِذْ رَأَيْتَهُمْ ضَلُّواْأَلاَّ تَتَّبِعَنِ]
(What prevented you when you saw them going astray; that you followed me not) meaning, "You should have informed me of this matter as soon as it happened.''
[أَفَعَصَيْتَ أَمْرِى]
(Have you then disobeyed my order) "In that which I entrusted to you,'' referring to Musa's statement,
[اخْلُفْنِى فِى قَوْمِى وَأَصْلِحْ وَلاَ تَتَّبِعْ سَبِيلَ الْمُفْسِدِينَ]
(Replace me among my people, act in the right way and follow not the way of the mischief-makers.)[7:142]
[قَالَ يَبْنَؤُمَّ]
(He (Harun) said: "O son of my mother!'') This mentioning of the mother was Harun's attempt to soften Musa's anger, because he was Musa's biological brother and they had the same parents. The mentioning of the mother here is more delicate and profound in bringing about gentleness and mildness. This is why he said,
[يَبْنَؤُمَّ لاَ تَأْخُذْ بِلِحْيَتِى وَلاَ بِرَأْسِى]
(O son of my mother! Seize (me) not by my beard, nor by my head!) This was Harun's excuse to Musa for being delayed from coming to him and informing him of the great mishap that took place. He said,
[إِنِّى خَشِيتُ]
(Verily, I feared) meaning, "I was afraid to come after you and inform you of this, because I thought you might accuse me of leaving them alone and causing division between them.''
[وَلَمْ تَرْقُبْ قَوْلِى]
(and you have not respected my word!) This means, "And you did not take care of what I commanded you to do when I left you in charge of them.'' Ibn `Abbas said, "Harun was respectful and obedient to Musa.''

http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=20&tid=32352

sevgi
02-21-2010, 04:34 AM
The ayahs I read wernt these ones :S It was the bit after this. When Musa gets up and does something to the idols or something.

Which brings me to my next question, what exactly did the people do wrong? and where did musa go?

- Qatada -
02-21-2010, 11:41 AM
asalam alykum

Prophet Musa went to talk to Allah at the mountain. And some people started to make a cow made of gold to worship (because they were influenced by idol worshippers.)

So the above happened.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
siam
02-24-2010, 07:39 AM
read from verse 83 onwards and you will get it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.