/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to track e-mails ?

Muslim Woman
02-22-2010, 01:24 AM
:sl:

I need to know if it's the same person using 2 different accounts for sending mails. Can anyone help ? Jazak Allah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dagless
02-22-2010, 01:54 AM
If they are using a public service like hotmail or yahoo then its unlikely. You can find out the rough location (and by that I mean time zone rather than town) they're in but not if its the same person.

Muslim Woman
02-22-2010, 02:11 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
If they are using a public service like hotmail or yahoo then its unlikely. You can find out the rough location (and by that I mean time zone rather than town) they're in but not if its the same person.

One is hotmail , other is yahoo. How to find out the time zone ? Thanks for your reply br.

Dagless
02-22-2010, 02:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

One is hotmail , other is yahoo. How to find out the time zone ? Thanks for your reply br.
The email header has the ip of the mail server it was initially sent from. If I sent an email then the first mail server it would reach would be a hotmail server in the UK, if i was in the US then the first one would be in the US etc.
The time zone info can usually be seen in the header, or you can find the location of the ip address using http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/
Or you could just paste the whole email header into a site like http://www.ip-adress.com/trace_email/

The person could use a different proxy server when using one email address and his real connection when using the other, so no method is 100%. Why not just ask the person? or if in doubt block them both :p

edit: If anyone has a better way please post!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
02-22-2010, 02:47 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
The email header has the ip !
Thanks a lot for the explanation . InshaAllah I will try to find out.

Why not just ask the person?

Many People lie almost unnecesarrily and don't fear Allah anymore. I can't imagine , how some people are making life hard and miserable for simple earthy purposes.

May Allah guide us all.

Woodrow
02-22-2010, 02:47 AM

Both are done in "blocks" the address or time zone will seldom match where the person lives. Many people in the UK with a Yahoo account will have a Yahoo block located in Florida as will many people in the US who live East of the Mississippi river.
To locate the exact address requires the use of tracking systems not available to the general public.

One of the best programs available is free, type in the email address and you will get the most accurate free info available to the public.
http://www.myfreeemailsearch.com/

Muslim Woman
02-22-2010, 03:19 AM

I got the IP ad / country of the sender . The mail he forwarded , how to track the IP of that forwarded mail ?

Italianguy
02-22-2010, 03:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Both are done in "blocks" the address or time zone will seldom match where the person lives. Many people in the UK with a Yahoo account will have a Yahoo block located in Florida as will many people in the US who live East of the Mississippi river.
To locate the exact address requires the use of tracking systems not available to the general public.

One of the best programs available is free, type in the email address and you will get the most accurate free info available to the public.
I just used that link and it said i am in California?........wrong side of the country but...close enough ;D

Woodrow
02-22-2010, 05:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
I just used that link and it said i am in California?........wrong side of the country but...close enough ;D
I have several different email addies. Some for business and one primarily for forums. they are from different IPs. I just checked 3 of them and one put me in Austin, TX. one put me in Watertown, NY and one put me in Calif. The last 2 were from large companies that do use "Blocks" The Austin one is from a small Austin IP, I got while living in Austin. None of my email addies place me in ND, which is where I am. However, they all do place me as to where the server is for the IP that handles my email addies.

Italianguy
02-22-2010, 05:05 AM
I have several different email addies. Some for business and one primarily for forums. they are from different IPs. I just checked 3 of them and one put me in Austin, TX. one put me in Watertown, NY and one put me in Calif. The last 2 were from large companies that do use "Blocks" The Austin one is from a small Austin IP, I got while living in Austin. None of my email addies place me in ND, which is where I am. However, they all do place me as to where the server is for the IP that handles my email addies.
Oh ok got it now i think? I have 6 email addresses and 4 of them are for different divisions of my business.

Woodrow
02-22-2010, 05:26 AM
Oh ok got it now i think? I have 6 email addresses and 4 of them are for different divisions of my business.
Your full IP address would locate you to the eact location you posted from or sent your email from. But, that is not an option for us peons to use. Requires specific software that I do not think is available to the general public.

Now if you happend to have a very good friend, you trust, who works for the IRS ...........................................

But, the drawback is he would discover the 37Cents you failed to report in 2001 and an immediate tax lien would be placed on your home, car, business and teddy bear.

Italianguy
02-22-2010, 05:34 AM
Your full IP address would locate you to the eact location you posted from or sent your email from. But, that is not an option for us peons to use. Requires specific software that I do not think is available to the general public.

Now if you happend to have a very good friend, you trust, who works for the IRS ...........................................

But, the drawback is he would discover the 37Cents you failed to report in 2001 and an immediate tax lien would be placed on your home, car, business and teddy bear.
LOLOLOL, I don't have "friends" at the IRS.....they really don't like me over there;D even better as a joke i always said they were the devil and believe it or not there new office around my area has an srea code of 23666......again 23666

I just checked some email addresses on that site! How weird it even links people to their myspace and facebook accounts.....with pics!:phew

Woodrow
02-22-2010, 05:45 AM
LOLOLOL, I don't have "friends" at the IRS.....they really don't like me over there;D even better as a joke i always said they were the devil and believe it or not there new office around my area has an srea code of 23666......again 23666

I just checked some email addresses on that site! How weird it even links people to their myspace and facebook accounts.....with pics!:phew
If a person has a myspace or facebook account, just about everything related to them becomes public information and a simple email addy search can almost get you the person's life history along with their current address.

Muslim Woman
02-22-2010, 08:59 AM

I have 3 acounts. It says I am in Mountain View, CA and Sunnyvale, CA

Italianguy
02-22-2010, 12:03 PM

I have 3 acounts. It says I am in Mountain View, CA and Sunnyvale, CA
lOL, It said i was in mountainveiw California too;D

Dagless
02-22-2010, 03:31 PM

I got the IP ad / country of the sender . The mail he forwarded , how to track the IP of that forwarded mail ?
If you got it from the email header it is the ip of the mail server and not the actual person. Thats as close as you'll get.

All these locations you guys are mentioning are your mail server locations if you're getting them from your emails. They may even change every now and then depending on if the server is moved or down or busy etc. As mentioned; this is only good for country type info rather than an address for the person.

I didn't think anybody could do that without a court order due to the network design. The only people who know which ip is assigned to which exact address are the isp's. Any location info relating to ip alone would only go down to the last exchange or gateway (which is usually a few miles away).

Muslim Woman
02-24-2010, 07:29 PM

..One of the best programs available is free, type in the email address and you will get the most accurate free info available to the public.

br. I think this site is not working accurately anymore . My friend lives in NY but it says Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Raaina
02-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Heh, I just used that link and it said I was in Redmond, WA.

Thats not right, i'm in the uk!

Muslim Woman
02-26-2010, 03:45 AM

I sent mail to Email finder about giving wrong info. Got this reply today :

Thank you for contacting Emailfinder.com.

Our site does provide the most complete data set on U.S. domestic residents and
email addresses. EmailFinder.com does NOT provide information about International
residents
or International email addresses.

I hope this answers your question. Are there any U.S. email addresses I can assist you with?

Danah
02-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Are we able to get any email provider's header? I heard its only applicable for gmail..didn't try it before.

br. I think this site is not working accurately anymore . My friend lives in NY but it says Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Its not accurate.....It says that I am living on US when I live actually on the other side of the earth!!

Muslim Woman
02-26-2010, 12:24 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
Are we able to get any email provider's header? !
yes .

• Outlook 98, Outlook 2000, Outlook 2003

1. Double Click the message to open it in a full window
    2. Click on "Options" in the "View" Menu
    3. Now you can copy and paste everything (press Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C)

<< Back to the email Tracer

• Outlook Express 4, 5 and 6

1. Open the Message
    2. Click on the "File" menu
    3. Click on "Properties"
    4. Click the "Details" tab
    5. Click on "Message Source"
    6. Now you can copy and paste everything (press Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C)

• Yahoo Mail

1. Right click on the message
    2. Click "Show Full Header"
    3. Now you can copy and paste the Email header

• Google Mail - Gmail
    1. Open the mail.
    2. To display the email headers click on the inverted triangle beside Reply. Then select Show Orginal.
    3. You may can now copy the headers

• Hotmail

1. Rightlick the message in the message List.
    2. Click on "View Source"

• Mozilla Thunderbird

1. Open the email.
    2. Click in the menu on VIEW / Headers and select All.

http://www.ip-adress.com/faq/view_email_header/

It says that I am living on US when I live actually on the other side of the earth!!
That site is for US users only.

Danah
02-26-2010, 01:07 PM
^ jazakiAllah khair sis, I will try that out when I am using my laptop.

About the site, oh lol...at aleast it should tell me that I am not in US instead of placing me randomly on any city

Danah
02-26-2010, 06:22 PM
okies...it worked for hotmail but not for gmail....the format of the gmail header is different a little bit and it keeps telling me that the header I posted is not valid.
as for yahoo, I couldn't view the header at all!!

Did it work with you sis?

Muslim Woman
02-27-2010, 08:02 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
...it worked for hotmail but not for gmail....Did it work with you sis?

I checked 4/5 accounts , now forgot which one worked :(

it's so easy to find out from Outlook Express. Click on File , click on properties , then details. Copy and paste the lines in the tracking side .

try again :)

Finding IP address in Yahoo! Mail

http://aruljohn.com/info/howtofindipaddress/#yahoo

Danah
02-27-2010, 09:33 AM
^ I don't use outlook express and never used it before. I got the header without using it and tried it with hotmail and it worked.

anyways, thanks dear for the help will try in later inshaAllah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.